Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,695 members, 7,802,034 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (228) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1345221 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 22, 2017
HI, I JUST CAME ACROSS THIS NOW. I REALLY NEED SOMEONE TO COACH ME HERE. IS THERE ANY LECTURE ON THIS THAT CAN BOOST ME?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Harry4cas(m): 5:15pm On Apr 22, 2017
Please can someone kindly send me GRE and TOFEL materials ... I really need all the help i can get to aid my preparations. my email is itsdonmonc@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hotboss: 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2017
Thank God I have finally registered for GRE. I have been following this thread but have not said a word because I have not been able to pay for GRE.

I have downloaded powerprep2 and there is a kaplan hard copy given to me when I registered.

Would these be enough from me to prepare?

Also, is English test a compulsory thing? I am only considering financial implications.

I would need a mentor on my journey.

I had a CGPA of 3.788/5.0

Mechanical engineering.

Would January start be possible at this point? My test date is 23 June ..

My questions are just too much. I would appreciate a reply from one of our brothers/sisters here.

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 8:21pm On Apr 22, 2017
hotboss:
Thank God I have finally registered for GRE. I have been following this thread but have not said a word because I have not been able to pay for GRE.

I have downloaded powerprep2 and there is a kaplan hard copy given to me when I registered.

Would these be enough from me to prepare?

Also, is English test a compulsory thing? I am only considering financial implications.

I would need a mentor on my journey.

I had a CGPA of 3.788/5.0

Mechanical engineering.

Would January start be possible at this point? My test date is 23 June ..

My questions are just too much. I would appreciate a reply from one of our brothers/sisters here.

Thank you

Download the official GRE guide, and take the practice test. Or take the one on the CD. And then, you'll identify your weaknesses and tackle them one after the other. For now, focus on your GRE, and you still have enough time to choose the four schools by test day. Try to score as high as possible on the GRE. The better you do, the more you can make up for your GPA. You might not even need to write any English test.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 8:28pm On Apr 22, 2017
usqoh:

use did link and download d videos now
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5uIbKUaio29b1VtT3R4emtrelk.
I am not sure this video is premium or regular though

I have this already. Thanks though.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 22, 2017
MasterforceII:

I have this already. Thanks though.
ok have u got d premium. Who has d premium account. We both will compensate u.

Or if anyone is interested, tell us so we all save money and defeat GRE with 160+ and full scholarship is sure
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hotboss: 9:22pm On Apr 22, 2017
happyday:

Download the official GRE guide, and take the practice test. Or take the one on the CD. And then, you'll identify your weaknesses and tackle them one after the other. For now, focus on your GRE, and you still have enough time to choose the four schools by test day. Try to score as high as possible on the GRE. The better you do, the more you can make up for your GPA. You might not even need to write any English test.

Wow
. Thank you for your reply.. I just took test1. Verbal 142 Quantitative 155

I think I need strategies on comprehension passage. Then the vocabularies.

I also have to master the GRE Quantitative patterns.

I think I would have to face verbal for now. I have this regular poor scores in anything verbal..

@happyday thank you so very much..

Please does anyone here know aboutique North dakota state university?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by charliejose: 10:14pm On Apr 22, 2017
usqoh:

ok have u got d premium. Who has d premium account. We both will compensate u.

Or if anyone is interested, tell us so we all save money and defeat GRE with 160+ and full scholarship is sure
I'm very much interested.. I'm planning to write by October.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 11:22pm On Apr 22, 2017
Glowrie22:

Thanks. I submitted around ending of December last year and I got notified of both via my email. I hardly even check my profile online cos it's always giving me trouble to access it.
Thanks for your response.

Concerning their website for checking app status, it's always bringing up error message.....thought I was d only one experiencing such.

Safe trip to TrumpLand grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 11:25pm On Apr 22, 2017
ruxxz:
seeker88, sent you a pm
Got it and responded...

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 12:10am On Apr 23, 2017
hotboss:

Wow
. Thank you for your reply.. I just took test1. Verbal 142 Quantitative 155

I think I need strategies on comprehension passage. Then the vocabularies.

I also have to master the GRE Quantitative patterns.

I think I would have to face verbal for now. I have this regular poor scores in anything verbal..

@happyday thank you so very much..

Please does anyone here know aboutique North dakota state university?

Good, now that you know what to do. Fire on.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by keduduka1234: 4:46am On Apr 23, 2017
usqoh:
Guys how do I apply for transcript grade to WES economically.

Should I tell WES to send to each of the schools I chose or they should send to me directly.

After which, I send to the school directly.

Is it compulsory I even use WES to convert my GP. Cant I just use my original transcript from Nigeria and UK.

Thanks

Try communicating with the admissions office of the schools you are interested in. Some schools do not require WES.
Just make sure it is compulsory before you use WES.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hotboss: 5:00am On Apr 23, 2017
usqoh:

use did link and download d videos now
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5uIbKUaio29b1VtT3R4emtrelk.
I am not sure this video is premium or regular though

This link is not active anymore.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 6:15am On Apr 23, 2017
Good morning bosses,

I have been following this thread for quite sometime now and I think its expedient I introduce myself.I am currently doing my youth service (NYSC). My profile goes thus;

Discipline: Electrical/Electronic Engineer,
CGPA: 4.68/5.00,

Most Preferred Graduate Program; PhD (embedded systems/electronics or communications)
Alternative : Masters in the aforementioned field @ Duke or very good university.

I just started GRE prep thus, I need your invaluable contribution to help my ministry.
#fall2018

Regards.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 7:46am On Apr 23, 2017
Good morning friends,

Update from K-State: They are unable to offer me Assistantship thus not recommended for admission. I tried all possible positions to sleep last night but rarely did. That I was waitlisted for GTA gave me an exponential hope. I'm perplexed whether to retake the GRE & TOEFL and aim for higher/competitive scores, or send current scores to other safe schools for Fall 2018.....my head is muddled with different thoughts. Though I contacted a Prof. in Canada who gave me a go-ahead to apply, I don't know the measure of solace to take in it.
Please your suggestions would be highly appreciated.
For all awaiting feedback, I pray for positive results. God bless you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ridsan4real(m): 10:24am On Apr 23, 2017
tuffpuff:
Good morning friends,

Update from K-State: They are unable to offer me Assistantship thus not recommended for admission. I tried all possible positions to sleep last night but rarely did. That I was waitlisted for GTA gave me an exponential hope. I'm perplexed whether to retake the GRE & TOEFL and aim for higher/competitive scores, or send current scores to other safe schools for Fall 2018.....my head is muddled with different thoughts. Though I contacted a Prof. in Canada who gave me a go-ahead to apply, I don't know the measure of solace to take in it.
Please your suggestions would be highly appreciated.
For all awaiting feedback, I pray for positive results. God bless you.
hey tuffpuff. sorry about your denial. I believe it will surely end well. You can reapply against fall 2018 if u have a decent profile. According to SirRiddy, make contact with the professor before application and apply EARLY! Early application is also very important! if you have d financial capacity, apply to 2 schools above your profile, 2 schools within your profile and 2 schools below your profile and slot in your application around Sept/Oct....and I believe it will surely end well. If you have d opportunity of rewriting GRE...you can proceed....this is my one cent opinion tho.I believe you can do it!

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 11:05am On Apr 23, 2017
ridsan4real:

hey tuffpuff. sorry about your denial. I believe it will surely end well. You can reapply against fall 2018 if u have a decent profile. According to SirRiddy, make contact with the professor before application and apply EARLY! Early application is also very important! if you have d financial capacity, apply to 2 schools above your profile, 2 schools within your profile and 2 schools below your profile and slot in your application around Sept/Oct....and I believe it will surely end well. If you have d opportunity of rewriting GRE...you can proceed....this is my one cent opinion tho.I believe you can do it!

@ tuffpuff, this! Thanks ridsan4real

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 11:07am On Apr 23, 2017
tizentos:
Good morning bosses,

I have been following this thread for quite sometime now and I think its expedient I introduce myself.I am currently doing my youth service (NYSC). My profile goes thus;

Discipline: Electrical/Electronic Engineer,
CGPA: 4.68/5.00,

Most Preferred Graduate Program; PhD (embedded systems/electronics or communications)
Alternative : Masters in the aforementioned field @ Duke or very good university.

I just started GRE prep thus, I need your invaluable contribution to help my ministry.
#fall2018

Regards.

How strong is your research experience? If it's little or none, focus on your GRE, and score very high. In the meantime, select schools in the mid-100s on rankings. It seems you already know schools you want to apply to. So yeah, GRE is the focus now.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:26pm On Apr 23, 2017
happyday:

How strong is your research experience? If it's little or none, focus on your GRE, and score very high. In the meantime, select schools in the mid-100s on rankings. It seems you already know schools you want to apply to. So yeah, GRE is the focus now.
Isn't that too low for a first class graduate or is the USA the only country with world class universities? I don't think it's worth it to study in a low ranked masters programme anymore. I know people who made that decision and have lived to regret it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babyfaceafrica: 12:48pm On Apr 23, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Isn't that too low for a first class graduate or is the USA the only country with world class universities? I don't think it's worth it to study in a low ranked masters programme anymore. I know people who made that decision and have lived to regret it.
lolz.....bro forget first class and what is low..even schools in mid 100 are very good schools..imagine even our so-called ui and "great" Ife is not in top 1000.....some if those students in this "low" schools are actually way better than you..but if you feel you deserve better,no problem,apply to top 20 schools and see how it will go.......admission sometimes is not on first class or second class..SOP ,catchment,GRE scores and others play a vital role....try schools in Canada and UK too...best of luck

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 12:48pm On Apr 23, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with UK/Canadian schools.

Mid-100s schools in Electrical Engineering aren't low ranked. I'm talking UM College Park, Michigan State, UC Santa Barbara, U Wisconsin Madison, Ohio State, LSU, KSU. Depending on what rankings you're looking at, those are good schools in EEG and not low as you think.

At least for a Nigerian first class graduate. We don't deserve anything, and frankly, if the strongest item in your app is the first class, one should be grateful to attend even a #500 school in the US. We need to stop feeling entitled, and quit the idea that finishing top of your class in Nigerian engineering schools actually mean anything in the developed world.

It's why Nigerians are very underrepresented in US Engr grad programs.

Truth is, US schools don't trust those degrees, and if that's the only strong thing on your app, you need to stop thinking outside the box. It's even worse with a 2/1.

MIT EECS would even refuse to see your GRE scores, and ask specifically that you don't send it. First is research experience. Whatever else you got going for you, with minimal research experience, be grateful you got in (esp with funding), and not feel like you deserve a slot. Cos honestly you don't.

And then your grades. They're only interested in your grades in specific classes (they even ask for the curriculum and the textbooks you used), plus an A here is in the 90+ range, not the 70% in Naija.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 12:53pm On Apr 23, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
lolz.....bro forget first class and what is low..even schools in mid 100 are very good schools..imagine even our so-called ui and "great" Ife is not in top 1000.....some if those students in this "low" schools are actually way better than you..but if you feel you deserve better,no problem,apply to top 20 schools and see how it will go.......admission sometimes is not on first class or second class..SOP ,catchment,GRE scores and others play a vital role....try schools in Canada and UK too...best of luck

Spot on Sir! So, we have catchment areas too for US admissions?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:53pm On Apr 23, 2017
happyday:

Mid-100s schools in Electrical Engineering aren't low ranked. I'm talking UM College Park, Michigan State, UC Santa Barbara, U Wisconsin Madison, Ohio State, LSU, KSU. Depending on what rankings you're looking at, those are good schools in EEG and not low as you think.

At least for a Nigerian first class graduate. We don't deserve anything, and frankly, if the strongest item in your app is the first class, one should be grateful to attend even a #500 school in the US. We need to stop feeling entitled, and quit the idea that finishing top of your class in Nigerian engineering schools actually mean anything in the developed world.

It's why Nigerians are very underrepresented in US Engr grad programs.

Truth is, US schools don't trust those degrees, and if that's the only strong thing on your app, you need to stop thinking outside the box. It's even worse with a 2/1.

MIT EECS would even refuse to see your GRE scores, and ask specifically that you don't send it. First is research experience. Whatever else you got going for you, with minimal research experience, be grateful you got in (esp with funding), and not feel like you deserve a slot. Cos honestly you don't.

And then your grades. They're only interested in your grades in specific classes (they even ask for the curriculum and the textbooks you used), plus an A here is in the 90+ range, not the 70% in Naija.
Top 500 like seriously, maybe those are the Nigerians you have met. MIT does not admit for an Msc, you are admitted to a phd program and you get your Msc on the way to your Phd and he needs a strong research experience for that. A friend of mine from university of lagos with a 2 1 in English language rejected an offer to Upenn, a full funded scholarship and i have other Nigerian friends who have studied in top ranked programs without having any research experience. Like i said earlier on the USA isnt the only country with world class universities. Left to me he should aim top 50 in the USA and try other countries afterall TU delt sub saharan african scholarship program is opening soon and with his GPA , he stands a very high chance of getting in and its one of the best engineering universities in the world ranked far higher than many universities in the USA.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:58pm On Apr 23, 2017
happyday:

https://www.tudelft.nl/en/education/practical-matters/scholarships/sub-saharan-africa-excellence-scholarships/

Try this scholarship, dont go and study in any useless US university. If a phd is your ultimate aim a letter of recommendation from a professor at TU delft will take you very far and its also among one of the top 10 engineering schools in the world. Just make sure you package your application. With your grades, dont study in any useless program.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by timades(f): 1:03pm On Apr 23, 2017
hi physiotherapist in d house pls I rili need your help
I am a nursing student in Uniosun.
last semester I was unable to write exam as I was unable to complete my school fees payment. I have been told that I need yo complete the payment before the next semester begins which happens to be next Monday. I have paid 75k out of 135k and I need to complete the balance of 60k
here is my registration number and password for verification purpose on uniosun website.
I know this Is odd but I am out of option and I need to pay the fees ASAP
pls nlanders. I will appreciate any amount in the form of loan or gift to enable me pay my fees and not lose my studentship.
website--- wwwUniosun..edu..ng
reg number-----65581531cc
password------adediji
my phone number---08102407540
pls do help me. thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:03pm On Apr 23, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
By mid 100s, he means mid 100s in US rankings. Those schools in general rankings could be in the 600s.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babyfaceafrica: 1:04pm On Apr 23, 2017
happyday:

Spot on Sir! So, we have catchment areas too for US admissions?
my catchment mean each department has a fixed amount of students they take a year...not our naija states catchment o

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 1:04pm On Apr 23, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Top 500 like seriously, maybe those are the Nigerians you have met. MIT does not admit for an Msc, you are admitted to a phd program and you get your Msc on the way to your Phd and he needs a strong research experience for that. A friend of mine from university of lagos with a 2 1 in English language rejected an offer to Upenn, a full funded scholarship and i have other Nigerian friends who have studied in top ranked programs without having any research experience. Like i said earlier on the USA isnt the only country with world class universities. Left to me he should aim top 50 in the USA and try other countries afterall TU delt sub saharan african scholarship program is opening soon and with his GPA , he stands a very high chance of getting in and its one of the best engineering universities in the world ranked far higher than many universities in the USA.

He wants a PhD, so everything I said applies to a PhD, MIT or anywhere else. STEM admissions is extremely competitive (anywhere), and honestly, I think it's unfair you're using an "English language" example. You can study with no research experience. But it's harder, and you should feel like casting your seeds upon many, many water. Cos that's exactly what you're doing when you apply.

I mean, I had no research experience. Which means I had to be uberly grateful for getting a spot. I guess he wanted US schools, cos he mentioned Duke.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babyfaceafrica: 1:05pm On Apr 23, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

By mid 100s, he means mid 100s in US rankings. Those schools in general rankings could be in the 600s.
it is not by force to go to the US..but how can you say mid. 100 in the US are not good and useless?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:08pm On Apr 23, 2017
happyday:

He wants a PhD, so everything I said applies to a PhD, MIT or anywhere else. STEM admissions is extremely competitive (anywhere), and honestly, I think it's unfair you're using an "English language" example. You can study with no research experience. But it's harder, and you should feel like casting your seeds upon many, many water. Cos that's exactly what you're doing when you apply.

I mean, I had no research experience. Which means I had to be uberly grateful for getting a spot. I guess he wanted US schools, cos he mentioned Duke.
Well if a Phd is his aim, it's going to be very tricky but it's still doable. Letter of recommendation from professors here would not even carry any weight because we don't do research in Nigeria. Well if I am him, I will try to study in a world-class university in Europe or Asia, try and do very well get that research experience and then apply to do a PhD in the USA that's only if that's his aim though.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:09pm On Apr 23, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
it is not by force to go to the US..but how can you say mid. 100 in the US are not good and useless?
Am talking about general rankings sir, if a school is ranked mid 100s in the USA, then in the world it will be ranked much lower.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babyfaceafrica: 1:11pm On Apr 23, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

Am talking about general rankings sir, if a school is ranked mid 100s in the USA, then in the world it will be ranked much lower.
okay bro..the guy should just do his research and pick his preferred choice

(1) (2) (3) ... (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.