Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,945 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (284) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1345597 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:57pm On Sep 07, 2017
Scholastica16:
DreManuel,

Yes bro I saw it. I am ecstatic. Number 1 in my state!!

Congrats DreManuel and Scholastica16.....I'm immensely happy for you guys..... Mehn!!

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 1:56pm On Sep 07, 2017
Scholastica16:
DreManuel,

Yes bro I saw it. I am ecstatic. Number 1 in my state!!
Hearty cheers to you both!
I surmise you guys deferred your fall admission to spring 2018? Perhaps you'll start over and apply for spring/fall2018?
How does it work?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheZed(m): 2:10pm On Sep 07, 2017
Congratulations DreManuel and Scholastica16

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 3:26pm On Sep 07, 2017
RexCheeng:

Hearty cheers to you both!
I surmise you guys deferred your fall admission to spring 2018? Perhaps you'll start over and apply for spring/fall2018?
How does it work?

Sadly, my school doesn't defer till Spring. The cohort is for fall only. But I would rather stay on my job for another year than go to a lower-raking school that admits for Spring, especially now that there is an offer that is ready to send you to even MIT. Most top schools don't admit fresh students for Spring semester but it also varies by departments.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kakashi12(m): 3:38pm On Sep 07, 2017
[quote author=Scholastica16 post=60114853]

The girl I told you about in NYU Stern used some experts. 2.1 Accounting degree, 319 GRE 104 TOEFL. She paid N300k late 2015 or so.

Yea, she got fully-funded into Stern for her MBA. Her $71k tuition waived with a $5000/month stipend.

The point is, the credible ones work yet sometimes they don't but if you have the money (which you do). Give it a try. UT Austin, Duke, MIT Sloan etc. if they end up giving you a good/full tuition waiver, you won't remember how much you paid the consultants.[/quote ] Please which experts did she use? I will like to use same people
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Glocal1: 4:11pm On Sep 07, 2017
DreManuel:

Yes 2.1 can, even 2.2 with solid Oil and Gas/ Energy experience or with Master's.
Thanks, its only for Oil and gas related courses.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Glocal1: 4:18pm On Sep 07, 2017
Yildiz:
Congrats to Scholatica16 and DreManuel.

I just saw my TOEFL results
Speaking 24
Listening 27
Reading 29
Writing 25
Total 105.
Alhamdullilah am happy. Atleast I have 24 in the speaking section.
Congrats, wish you successful admission offers with funding. Please share your study materials/plans especially d speaking section.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponlear(m): 4:25pm On Sep 07, 2017
DreManuel:

For you to hit Q 162 in Manhattan, it means you could get up to 166 in real GRE, ceteris paribus. Manhattan's quant is a bit tougher than actual GRE and I recommend it for practice. But, Manhattan's Verbal doesn't mimic the actual GRE too well. Yes, they use a lot of fancy words but their RC are not as complex as that of the GRE. That doesn't mean you should abandon Manhattan, you should just know its limitations.

So I recommend using ETS official guide to GRE Verbal and ETS Revised GRE guide. You will see questions of different difficulty levels and are actual past GRE questions. You will learn a lot of strategies from Magoosh guide and Videos too.

You would have to be patient with yourself. GRE is testing skills they expect you to have learned from primary school up till now and not just from last two months. Sadly, we don't learn much of those skills from our schooling especially those of us from Science background. So, identify your weakness in Verbal first - for most people it's the RC, so focus more on practicing that part. Learn how to read very fast without losing meaning. Learn reading by "chunking". Learn to read actively. When you read, take notes - yes! there will be time for it and it helps you read actively. With practice you will get better. These are just General tips I can give now. If you have specific concerns you can ask.

I think @gokuu can also come to your aid; he scored 162 in Verbal.
Thanks boss !!.. appreciate !!

@gokuu
I will pm u

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tizentos: 5:50pm On Sep 07, 2017
Congrat Scholastica,DreManuel and xyzoke. I'm really happy for you guys. This is just the beginning..cheers

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jydorchem: 8:38pm On Sep 07, 2017
jydorchem:
Please I need manhattan1-6 material. niyi4med@yahoo.com
Thanks.

Please help
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 9:29pm On Sep 07, 2017
jydorchem:

Please help

Check your mail now.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bayo0502(m): 8:43am On Sep 08, 2017
Yildiz:
Congrats to Scholatica16 and DreManuel.

I just saw my TOEFL results
Speaking 24
Listening 27
Reading 29
Writing 25
Total 105.
Alhamdullilah am happy. Atleast I have 24 in the speaking section.
Pls brother, i need materials for toefl. I will be writing it in a month time. This is my mail
bayobakare88@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ajitagra526: 12:23pm On Sep 08, 2017
Bigg Boss is the India's most prominent and well-known reality show, which is going to airing on from October. For more details about visit at Bigg Boss 11
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:55pm On Sep 08, 2017
Ajitagra526:
Bigg Boss is the India's most prominent and well-known reality show, which is going to airing on from October. For more details about visit at Bigg Boss 11

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Engrczar(m): 3:37pm On Sep 08, 2017
Greetings to great scholars in the house.

I am a graduate of Chemical Engineering with above 4.7CGPA on 5.0 scale. It's nice seeing a platform where I can get insight directly from those who have done things I sincerely aim to do.

Please, I have few questions to ask and earnestly await your responses.

1. Which trusted agent(s) can I use for my GRE registration and if possible, the amount they charge?

2. I have some materials at the moment (Kaplan, Grubbers and Manhattan), but I believe the Magoosh videos will definitely be useful if I can find them. Please, how do I get Magoosh videos and other necessary materials you think I should have?

3. I am currently attached with a company for now, and I intend writing the exam early November. The truth is that I have been struggling with combining my study and work, please I need your sincere advice on how to effectively combine both activities.

Thanks so much and remain blessed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by folmus: 4:36pm On Sep 08, 2017
Engrczar:

I am a graduate of Chemical Engineering with above 4.7CGPA on 5.0 scale. It's nice seeing a platform where I can get insight directly from those who have done things I sincerely aim to do.

1. Which trusted agent(s) can I use for my GRE registration and if possible, the amount they charge?

2. I have some materials at the moment (Kaplan, Grubbers and Manhattan), but I believe the Magoosh videos will definitely be useful if I can find them. Please, how do I get Magoosh videos and other necessary materials you think I should have?

3. I am currently attached with a company for now, and I intend writing the exam early November. The truth is that I have been struggling with combining my study and work, please I need your sincere advice on how to effectively combine both activities.

NLders folks are helping one another as long as you are here, you dont need any agents to register. You can do it yourself. If you can't do it yourself, pm me for help.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jelmusboy(m): 4:38pm On Sep 08, 2017
Please, can anyone recommend a safe school for MSc/PhD in Biological/Biomedical Science or related courses for someone with 3.10/5.0 CGPA + MSc distinction from UK? Looking forward to writing GRE in November
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by layez: 5:48pm On Sep 08, 2017
Congrats Scholar&Dre..How we go wash am nah?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Whosentyou: 6:01pm On Sep 08, 2017
Engrczar:

Bro can you help with the materials? I'm writing mine by November too
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyroyalty: 9:29pm On Sep 08, 2017
DreManuel:

Sadly, my school doesn't defer till Spring. The cohort is for fall only. But I would rather stay on my job for another year than go to a lower-raking school that admits for Spring, especially now that there is an offer that is ready to send you to even MIT. Most top schools don't admit fresh students for Spring semester but it also varies by departments.

congrats Boss may more big things come your way, Gracais.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Tunmise100(m): 9:34pm On Sep 08, 2017
scholarstica16, I am happy for u. I have been following this group for quite a while and I do not only love the way u help people with priceless informations but also the presentation of ur point or is second to none. So happy for you.
AT LAST!!!!!!!!
ALL THE BEST BRO.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 08, 2017
Engrczar:

Wow congratulations stellar CGPA you've got there.

For trusted agents you can use for your registration you can try B. Y. Mafit I registered with them or PM me I will link you up with someone that can do it for you 5k lesser I. E 45k instead of 50k that B. Y Mafit will charge you.

Grubber, Kaplan and Manhattan are all great GRE resources, however, dint of the fact that you are pressed with time I advise you try and get Official guide, ETS verbal and ETS quant (contains actual GRE questions, prepared be the test makers themselves), Manhattan for Quant, if you can have access to magoosh premium account that would be great. Kaplan textbook is just too weak, its only good for Analytical writing.
1. Official Guide, ETS verbal and Quant.
2. Manhattan for Quant and maybe verbal (tho' their verbal resource doesn't not mirror ETS, it only contains esoteric and recondite parlances)
3. Magoosh account premium account (Mafit will give you one month free access if you register through them.)
PM for other necessary materials.

If you intend writing your GRE November, you have to register on time and try as much as you can to create ample amount of time for hard-nosed study, you barely have two months to prepare, you don't wanna deprecate GRE, trust me.

Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jelmusboy(m): 10:48pm On Sep 08, 2017
I need help with this please.

jelmusboy:
Please, can anyone recommend a safe school for MSc/PhD in Biological/Biomedical Science or related courses for someone with 3.10/5.0 CGPA + MSc distinction from UK? Looking forward to writing GRE in November
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dawbbleOuEi: 11:59pm On Sep 08, 2017
jelmusboy:
I need help with this please.

Hi there.
There aren't many Biol. science folks on here, 98% are engineers cheesy
I'm also looking to major in Biomed/Biol sciences, but the idea and perception of "safe schools" is relative, so I couldn't make a list of schools I consider "safe" for you. Besides, na learner I still be cheesy For example, though, Johns Hopkins offers great, it's not a safe school for me, but it could be for you. You get the drift? So I'd advise you try throwing a query at Google, like "Universities for Biological science MS/PhD programs" and it'd do well to give you what you need. You most likely would be having top schools topping the list. This is perfect cos you'll have (and need) to run the gamut of such a list. You can also try usnews.com, mastersportal.eu directly, or check out any of the results Google presents you - this can lead to people's experiences or sapient analyses on good forums. You can also come back here with your list for the gurus to critique.

Good luck, chief.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by athorello(m): 12:26am On Sep 09, 2017
I need advice on how best to slow down and tackle some huge challenges with my practice. After I heard a wicked fever, I'm having a challenge with my practice especially verbal. I discovered that I'm missing things like "not" and time contrasts every e.g, "...at that time" in TC and SC, making me to choose the completely opposite answers most times. Also sometimes I missed highlighted texts questions in RC because it might be asking the question in relation to the entire passage and I'm overly critical. Funny enough, most answers that comes to me first time are correct even in RC but I guess there's paralysis by analysis afterall.
So, I need advice, test less than 3 weeks away.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by skido04: 12:33am On Sep 09, 2017
hello gurus in the house. I need help,
I have a BSc. in Computer Science with a CGPA of 3.69/5 . I want to further my studies by applying for Ms. in information technology.
my challenge is finding an affordable school that offer this or ones with possible funding.
I have searched thoroughly with Google like most people here will advice, I found some schools, other gurus from other forums suggested some too. sometimes people have some information from experience that we can't figure out through Google.
Any suggestions on schools from you guys will be greatly appreciated.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Engrczar(m): 12:52am On Sep 09, 2017
folmus:

NLders folks are helping one another as long as you are here, you dont need any agents to register. You can do it yourself. If you can't do it yourself, pm me for help.

Thanks so much, bro.
I appreciate.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 5:46am On Sep 09, 2017
A big heartfelt congratulations to Scholastica16 and DreManuel. "As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way". You guys have been immense.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jelmusboy(m): 7:13am On Sep 09, 2017
The ones have seen so far are top schools for Biological/Biomedical Sciences such as JHU, Yale, University of Minnesota, University of Pennyslavania, Harvard, Michigan Technological University etc and these are not safe for me considering my Undergrad grade (2:2).

With regards to research and work experience, I have that. I have 5-years work experience and 5 published papers. Don't know if this can suffice and boost my chances.

If anyone have other schools in mind, I'd be very grateful.

dawbbleOuEi:

Hi there.
There aren't many Biol. science folks on here, 98% are engineers cheesy
I'm also looking to major in Biomed/Biol sciences, but the idea and perception of "safe schools" is relative, so I couldn't make a list of schools I consider "safe" for you. Besides, na learner I still be cheesy For example, though, Johns Hopkins offers great, it's not a safe school for me, but it could be for you. You get the drift? So I'd advise you try throwing a query at Google, like "Universities for Biological science MS/PhD programs" and it'd do well to give you what you need. You most likely would be having top schools topping the list. This is perfect cos you'll have (and need) to run the gamut of such a list. You can also try usnews.com, mastersportal.eu directly, or check out any of the results Google presents you - this can lead to people's experiences or sapient analyses on good forums. You can also come back here with your list for the gurus to critique.

Good luck, chief.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kakashi12(m): 7:43am On Sep 09, 2017
Congrats to Scholatica16 and DreManuel. Please I need to reach Scholatica16..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Whosentyou: 8:55am On Sep 09, 2017
DreManuel:

Can one get admission to MIT without TOEFL or IELTS?

(1) (2) (3) ... (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.