Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (288) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347344 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by SAMUELS3(m): 12:29pm On Sep 15, 2017
Amandrush:
Please anyone taking the GRE exam in Abuja please contact me lets meet up.. Am mostly in city library zone 4 gwani Street..
I need magoosh video download links please..
08060033110 whatsapp or call.. Thanks my GRE bevy..
Check page 44 for dropbox.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 3:13pm On Sep 15, 2017
eastafro:

what do you mean exactly ?

To get top scores you need Atleast 3 months of concerted preparation.

But everyone's ability to assimilate is different.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 3:14pm On Sep 15, 2017
adedammy009:

Pls where can I register for TOEFL in Ibadan or Lagos.
Thanks

Google that company above, get their contact numbers and call them. Simple.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Dexty10: 4:17pm On Sep 15, 2017
Hello guys.
Just took the GRE test and the result is 285. My CGPA is 3.7/5.0. I intend to study Public Relations/Communication in either of these schools: Auburn Uni, Ball State, Seton Hall and Southern Mississippi.
What are my chances of getting admitted?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:42pm On Sep 15, 2017
eastafro:
sept 15 and i still haven't registered for GRE. wtf!
the payment is not as easy here in Ethiopia. basically there is no way in hell i can pay from here as far as i know but its getting on my nerves.
i have to study anddddd reck my brains and cell phone minutes for a possible way of payment?! sad
so am i late?

Have you figured out if that Nigerian company I listed can help? I mean if you can transfer that amount of money to their bank account after opening a GRE account, they would pay for you.

Their rate is better than $205.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 4:45pm On Sep 15, 2017
Dexty10:
Hello guys.
Just took the GRE test and the result is 285. My CGPA is 3.7/5.0. I intend to study Public Relations/Communication in either of these schools: Auburn Uni, Ball State, Seton Hall and Southern Mississippi.
What are my chances of getting admitted?

Nobody can tell your chances. I know for sure that your VR will be more important than the composite 285. So what is your VR?

Your chances of getting admitted depend on the whole package you put forward and not just your GRE score. So give it a good go.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by IRella: 4:50pm On Sep 15, 2017
Good day everyone... I'll be writing GRE next year. Tho I haven't registered to write yet. Buh I want to be reading and practicing from now. I'll like anyone with GRE study material to please help me with them(link or any other means) . Thanks. Would be waiting
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Dexty10: 5:31pm On Sep 15, 2017
Ow. Thank you. But what is VR? And please I registered with B.Y Mafti for the test. If I want to redo will they charge me again or I'll just reschedule another test on the ETS website?
Thank you
Scholastica16:

Nobody can tell your chances. I know for sure that your VR will be more important than the composite 285. So what is your VR?

Your chances of getting admitted depend on the whole package you put forward and not just your GRE score. So give it a good go.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 5:54pm On Sep 15, 2017
IRella:
Good day everyone... I'll be writing GRE next year. Tho I haven't registered to write yet. Buh I want to be reading and practicing from now. I'll like anyone with GRE study material to please help me with them(link or any other means) . Thanks. Would be waiting
go to the first page to get some basic materials...then search through the pages on this thread to get other ones....I'll advise you join groups with real time conversation in addition to nairaland..My 50 cents
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 7:17pm On Sep 15, 2017
Dexty10:
Ow. Thank you. But what is VR? And please I registered with B.Y Mafti for the test. If I want to redo will they charge me again or I'll just reschedule another test on the ETS website?
Thank you

Verbal reasoning.

They will charge you again. GRE fees cost $205.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Dexty10: 8:06pm On Sep 15, 2017
VR is 148
Scholastica16:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jelmusboy(m): 11:02pm On Sep 15, 2017
Response please

jelmusboy:
Hello my people,

I've been off on this platform for some days now in order to look for a school that can accommodate my CGPA of 3.10/5.0 (2.96/4.0) for MS/PhD in Biological Science and I have identified Southern Illiniois University (SIU). I contacted the Head of Department and he informed me that my CGPA will enter MS program while 3.0 is needed for PhD. I queried further if there is possibility of combining my BSc and UK MSc with five publications for PhD admission, am still expecting his reply.

Now, I am stucked with what to read for GRE. I have all GRE materials (Magoosh, Gruber, ETS own etc), though some years back edition, which one is advisable to use to prepare for GRE as I intend to take it latest first or second week of November? If anyone have latest edition, that will really be helpful.

If anyone know anything about SIU, I won't mind having some gist about the school.

Thanks guys
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by IRella: 7:41am On Sep 16, 2017
DanjaNinja:

Please send a blank mail to selfstudy.version2@gmail.com and selfstudy360@gmail.com. All the ebooks would be mailed to you.
Hi.. . I've done that yet to receive them. And pls add me to the Facebook group.. Iwhiwhurukeme@gmail.com or Iwhiwhuella@yahoo.com thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by revenant: 8:22am On Sep 16, 2017
IRella:

Where is your location!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 8:54am On Sep 16, 2017
congratulations scholastica16, DReManuel and other PTDF scholars, am really happy for you guys.
who can help interpret this? GRE- 550/213/79
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by IRella: 9:19am On Sep 16, 2017
revenant:

Where is your location!
I stay in Abuja buh in Delta state right now
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 9:58am On Sep 16, 2017
IRella:

where in delta are u? am in warri
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 10:16am On Sep 16, 2017
eastafro:

care to elaborate......it would be easier to answer
Ok sir.

In Canada, dere r 2 types of Masters: course based and thesis based. Course based is like professional msc which you can't use to apply for PhD. But with thesis based, you can do PhD.

My question is this: is dere any course you can do after Course based msc which will make you eligible for PhD?

Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by revenant: 11:13am On Sep 16, 2017
IRella:

Shoot me a PM, I m in ABK.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:46am On Sep 16, 2017
dayjeee:
congratulations scholastica16, DReManuel and other PTDF scholars, am really happy for you guys.
who can help interpret this? GRE- 550/213/79

This is TOEFL not GRE.

550 is the scale in the paper based old. 213 is equivalent to it in another metric and it mirrors 79/120 in the iBT.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 11:48am On Sep 16, 2017
IRella:

Hi.. . I've done that yet to receive them. And pls add me to the Facebook group.. Iwhiwhurukeme@gmail.com or Iwhiwhuella@yahoo.com thanks

It ought to be automated.

A gmail account, no content in the email, send to the addresses above. You should get feedback almost instantaneously.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:04pm On Sep 16, 2017
jelmusboy:
Response please

Your 3.10/5.00 should typically get to 3.0/4.0. If you used the free WES converter it only gives you a range besides, most schools only take the GPA of your last 60 units so if you had a decent last 2 semesters you would still make the cut.

Your publications, MSc (distinction from U.K.) and your first degree make you a good fit for the PhD in many schools like the one you are considering so fire down.

Grubber, Kaplan are not good for the GRE per se; they are significantly easier than the real thing.

Manhattan, ETS guide and Magoosh on the other hand are okay although ETS guide is the best. Personally, start with Manhattan and solve the exercises learning tips as you go. Use the Magoosh videos for light reading. They are quite interactive. Pause, solve, play and see their answers and steps. If it is easier for you, adopt it.

Then when you are close to the test study the ETS guide and practice the exercises as well as the tests. Time yourself and make it as real as possible. The ETS guide is the closest to the main GRE and you want your mind to be programmed for the level of trickery and difficulty that the GRE will pose.

Then 2 days to the test, take PowerPrep II part 1. It will tell you how far you have come and your weaknesses if any. Use that day to work on the weaknesses. Take part 2 a day before your GRE and be as serious as possible. Take both essay prompts, the breaks etc. Try to simulate your exact GRE experience. Your score here will most likely be what you would get on the main day - Either you go 3 points higher or 3 points lower.

Try to get to the venue early. Rest your mind. Don't get flustered by the goings-on around you. Make sure you come with an energy drink and a small snack which you would be allowed to take into the main hall but in a compartment. Failure to do this and you would be enervated before your 2nd section.

Do not waste time on questions you can't solve immediately. There is no point wasting your time on them. Instead, attempt questions you usually got while practicing to build your confidence. Then go back to the difficult ones and reattempt them or make educated guesses and move on.

Nobody cares how you did it or the methods you adopted. All they care about is the final score. So if you like, speak Queen's English from now till Kingdom come, if you get 131 in the VR, the testmarkers will feel you don't know diddly squat about the language.

PS: if people read from page 1 of this thread they would have seen most of these tips already.

Do some research people!!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 12:21pm On Sep 16, 2017
Scholastica16:

This is TOEFL not GRE.

550 is the scale in the paper based old. 213 is equivalent to it in another metric and it mirrors 79/120 in the iBT.
Thanks but I don't really understand, this the screen shot

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 12:49pm On Sep 16, 2017
dayjeee:
Thanks but I don't really understand, this the screen shot

Just mail the school to clarify.

That thing doesn't apply to GRE. It looks like TOEFL stuff. It appears they want you to get at least 79 on TOEFL iBT. One can never get 213 on the GRE even if one doesn't attempt any question. The worst one can ever get is 260/340.

You are looking at SIU Carbondale right?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:49pm On Sep 16, 2017
Old GRE VR 550, 213/79 TOEFL.

Happy now? grin

It is obvious that website is poorly presented. That requirement is not exclusive to SIU. Many schools use it. Just "Google" those numbers and see what turns up.

I am out.

http://www.pvamu.edu/internationalaffairs/iss/prospective-international-students/international-graduate-admissions/

https://www.barry.edu/law/llm/how-to-apply.html

https://www.law.umn.edu/admissions/sjd-admissions/how-apply

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by opemide007(m): 1:20pm On Sep 16, 2017
Please can anyone with Magoosh or Mahanttan premium contact me.

Meanwhile I got a friend from india that has magoosh Premium but @45bucks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 1:42pm On Sep 16, 2017
DreManuel:

Just mail the school to clarify.

That thing doesn't apply to GRE. It looks like TOEFL stuff. It appears they want you to get at least 79 on TOEFL iBT. One can never get 213 on the GRE even if one doesn't attempt any question. The worst one can ever get is 260/340.

You are looking at SIU Carbondale right?
Thanks sir, yes
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dayjeee(m): 1:52pm On Sep 16, 2017
Scholastica16:
Old GRE VR 550, 213/79 TOEFL.

Happy now? grin

It is obvious that website is poorly presented. That requirement is not exclusive to SIU. Many schools use it. Just "Google" those numbers and see what turns up.

I am out.

http://www.pvamu.edu/internationalaffairs/iss/prospective-international-students/international-graduate-admissions/

https://www.barry.edu/law/llm/how-to-apply.html

https://www.law.umn.edu/admissions/sjd-admissions/how-apply
ok, thanks bro, I appreciate
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 16, 2017
Scholastica16:

Have you figured out if that Nigerian company I listed can help? I mean if you can transfer that amount of money to their bank account after opening a GRE account, they would pay for you.

Their rate is better than $205.

transfer the money with what currency?
i dont believe Ethiopian financial institutions do wire transfers or things like that.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 16, 2017
aanexplus:

Ok sir.

In Canada, dere r 2 types of Masters: course based and thesis based. Course based is like professional msc which you can't use to apply for PhD. But with thesis based, you can do PhD.

My question is this: is dere any course you can do after Course based msc which will make you eligible for PhD?

Thank you
well Canada's educational systems are not as flexible their southern neighbors but they are a research intensive country so there is always a way you could but you will have to show your interest and research experience of some sort.
and this qoura answer makes sense so there you go
https://www.quora.com/Can-I-do-Phd-with-non-thesis-based-MS-in-Canada-I-have-found-that-getting-admission-in-course-based-MS-is-much-easier-no-supervisor-required
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 16, 2017
sup gang? any computer science applicants here?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:48pm On Sep 16, 2017
eastafro:
sup gang?
any computer science applicants here?

There are a handful of them but people like to act as guests here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.