Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,553 members, 7,809,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347730 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gentlespencer: 10:36am On Aug 24, 2015
Guys i'm kind of new here i want to write the GRE exam probably by October this year. I dont really know the available centres and moreso I really need serious guide as to go about this exam. I want to apply for schools in USA for P.hd can I get suggestions of schools that are likely to pick me .
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 10:47am On Aug 24, 2015
[quote author=Gentlespencer post=37278553]Guys i'm kind of new here i want to write the GRE exam probably by October this year. I dont really know the available centres and moreso I really need serious guide as to go about this exam. I want to apply for schools in USA for P.hd can I get suggestions of schools that are likely to pick me .[/quote

What course do you want to do? Where are you in Nigeria. There are test centres in Lagos, Port Harcourt and Abuja depends on your location. Google your course like Schools doing PhD in Bla bla bla in the US. You will be amaze with what you will see. GL.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cool2015(m): 7:19pm On Aug 25, 2015
paulbets:
Ok finally did d almighty GRE today and got meager score of 151V and 155Q. Not so great a score.. but thanks to u all... And DanjaNinja thanks boss

Bro, u have a nice score. You verbal score is cool. Kindly tell us ur experience and study plan for the verbal section. Plssssss
Thank u

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfess(m): 7:22pm On Aug 25, 2015
@DanjaNinja

Pls add me to the facebook group

https:///C8TRxm

Thank you.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 10:17pm On Aug 25, 2015
Thanks everybody... I will write out my experience and prep soon. Now am in a No-Network area in my ppa... once I come out I will update on my preparations and experience.

Thanks once more
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by emmabod(m): 11:53pm On Aug 30, 2015
mfess:
@DanjaNinja

Thank you.
please can someone add me also to the page
thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:37am On Sep 01, 2015
kfrosh:
Hello all; plss can someone give me the precise address of GMAT/GRE test centre(s) in Lagos.

Hi, please click this link, then select Nigeria from the drop down menu. You will find all the cities in Nigeria that you can take the Gre.
https://mygre.ets.org/greweb/action/RegPortal
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:39am On Sep 01, 2015
Donprada:
thank you so much for your response, please can you send those books to me or where can I download them?

We only have soft copies. Send a blank mail to "selfstudy.version2@gmail.com". You will get an email containing the ebooks. Please note that when downloading the books, dont use a mobile phone but use a pc with a fast internet connection.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 1:39am On Sep 01, 2015
mfess:
@DanjaNinja

Thank you.

Please post your facebook email address here.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by penroll55(m): 9:51am On Sep 01, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Please what is the name of the Facebook group
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bamjay: 5:20pm On Sep 01, 2015
aite...i did the GRE.scores were not so impressive but wanted to drop this here.
AW-4.5
VR-154
QR-153
i didn't study for long(less than two months) so i know the scores could have been better.
i used a lot of materials doing the short study period and wld b glad to entertain questions.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 01, 2015
congrats on your score.
What materials did you use?
What were your study strategies?
Any recommendations?
What mistakes did you make?
Thanks as you answer my questions and congrats once again.
bamjay:
aite...i did the GRE.scores were not so impressive but wanted to drop this here.
AW-4.5
VR-154
QR-153
i didn't study for long(less than two months) so i know the scores could have been better.
i used a lot of materials doing the short study period and wld b glad to entertain questions.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TJ18(m): 5:53pm On Sep 01, 2015
Hey,you tried.Congrats
[quote author=bamjay post=37566541]aite...i did the GRE.scores were not so impressive but wanted to drop this here.
AW-4.5
VR-154
QR-153
i used a lot of materials doing the short study period and wld b glad to entertain questions.[/quote

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2015
DanjaNinja:

We only have soft copies. Send a blank mail to "selfstudy.version2@gmail.com". You will get an email containing the ebooks. Please note that when downloading the books, dont use a mobile phone but use a pc with a fast internet connection.
thanks I did..TOEFL materials are not in the mail, only GRE materials are
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 7:05pm On Sep 02, 2015
Am sorry I am writing this now.
I have been in the wilderness where am serving.
This is my Experience on the GRE general test which I took on the 22nd of August 2015 at the Galaxy uniprep Center, Abuja.
I had exactly two months to prepare for the test, but as usual I was preoccupied with many stuffs to do.

On the Verbal, I studied only the ETS official verbal reasoning practice book.... Lucky for me it was easy to read and I was able to finish the book within 2 days (about 2 weeks before my test date) (it might also interest you that 2 weeks before my test date I had verbal 156 and quantitative 154 on the ETS Power Prep practice). I also Downloaded the GRE app from playstore on my android, and used it to practice for the vocabulary (though I didn't see any word there on the test day). Well in the end, on the actual test, I managed to score 151 on the verbal section.

Forward to the Quantitative, I studied the Manhattan-8-study-guide series (I actually completed all the quant series of the study guide) and Nova (though I didn't read more than 4 chapters there, it was helpful). These two books were really helpful. Well in the end, on the actual test I managed to score 155 on the Quantitative section.

The Analytical Writing was the section I never took serious, I studied the A.W sampled answers included in the ETS official verbal reasoning book 2 days before the actual test day. On the test day, I didn't even know what to write on the Argument Task... I was just looking at the computer screen. Well I scored 3.0

My advice:
The GRE is really hard? Agreed., but one can really score well with intensive study. So if you have plan to write the test, give yourself enough time to prepare. Strong Preparation is really Key to High GRE score. The above materials that I used are really good GRE book, so use them in addition to your other materials and study. study. study. study. You will be just fine. Goodluck

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 7:09pm On Sep 02, 2015
Bro you tried... Goodluck with admissions

bamjay:
AW-4.5
VR-154
QR-153

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 02, 2015
Paulbets thanks for your detailed experience. You are a great example to reducing selfishness among the test takers who come here, get info, write the test and leave. Wish you the best in application and visa processing. Hope you are enjoying your NYSC? I am a corps member too.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bamjay: 11:12pm On Sep 02, 2015
sirRiddy:
congrats on your score.
What materials did you use?
What were your study strategies?
Any recommendations?
What mistakes did you make?
Thanks as you answer my questions and congrats once again.

thank you
1.wow.thats a big question. I used lots of materials i got from the GRE facebook group. i used the ETS official guide on VR abd QR. I used Manhattan, Barron, Grubber, Kaplan's AW pool, Mathematics strategies, powerprep II, Magoosh app(reaply helped to learn new words),etc.dem plenty o…i didnt really have time to thoroughly study all the books but I skimmed through them, worked on my weakpoints and practiced a lot.
2. my strategy was DIVIDE and CONQUER. i only had a few weeks to prepare..say six or seven weeks. i had a study plan for each day. devoted about five to six hours daily for GRE. the thing is gre would appear strange at first but you have to continue practicing and get familiar with it.even if na zero you dey get for the practice questions just keep on at it till you improve. practice as many questions as u can. if u score high on a particular question dont get all excited about how you've blasted GRE.make the tin no go shock you like DVD oo.lol.
3. i recommend that u plan well ahead of time before u take the gre. this would help you plan your study time wella.d thing is we want to do everything almost at once and in such a short time at that.it happened to me and made me to crash read. for the VR, familiarisw urself with the GRE words.make them a part of your regular vocabulary.this is why you need lots of tine to prepare. u know say if you cram plenty unfamiliar words at the same time na plane crash be that o and plane crash dey hardly get survivirs ooo.*winks*
4.my mistakes were majorly due to improper planning, inadequate study time...i guess thats it.

but if you aint got so much time before the exam just crash read but be smart about it. do not go and cram new words for six straigjt hours all in the name of cradh reading. dat would be tantamous to reading a dictionary o.you could use two hours for QR.use two for VR and maybe one for AW. u you could take breaks in between.like for me i watched movies in between my study plans. i cooked. i joked around. all na to reduce the tesion amd smoke o. i no fit kill myself o..so like i said, if you got little time to prepare , crash read but be smart about it.

GRE takers..remember to BREATHE..goodluck yall.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bamjay: 11:14pm On Sep 02, 2015
paulbets:
Bro you tried... Goodluck with admissions

my broda thank u o..but i'm a she o grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by bamjay: 11:16pm On Sep 02, 2015
TJ18:
Hey,you tried.Congrats

thank u
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:20pm On Sep 02, 2015
Thank you for your experience bamjay. Wish you luck in your application and visa processing.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 11:31pm On Sep 02, 2015
Thanks boss....
Corpers Wee grin grin how service na?
Am enjoying the service here o but in a real village. I dey always feel u bro and am a friend to profOjah..
Trust ur Supervisor hunt is going fine? I wish you well o

sirRiddy:
Paulbets thanks for your detailed experience. You are a great example to reducing selfishness among the test takers who come here, get info, write the test and leave. Wish you the best in application and visa processing. Hope you are enjoying your NYSC? I am a corps member too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 4:11am On Sep 03, 2015
Oh my bad. Sorry dear
I wish you Luck in this whole process. Admissions with full funding is possible, so gun for it

bamjay:

my broda thank u o..but i'm a she o grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Richiy(f): 11:08am On Sep 04, 2015
DanjaNinja:

please add me to the group
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2015
Lol... Ojah na my guy, na just say the guy don almost chop all lag girls finish. Supervisors dey but them no get cash ni o. na to just dey hope for GA sure pass. I guess you are for Fall too?
paulbets:
Thanks boss....
Corpers Wee grin grin how service na?
Am enjoying the service here o but in a real village. I dey always feel u bro and am a friend to profOjah..
Trust ur Supervisor hunt is going fine? I wish you well o

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 04, 2015
sirRiddy:
Lol... Ojah na my guy, na just say the guy don almost chop all lag girls finish. Supervisors dey but them no get cash ni o. na to just dey hope for GA sure pass. I guess you are for Fall too?
SirRiddy!. You wan spoil my parole?. You no know say I get one crush for here?.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 3:50pm On Sep 04, 2015
Yes Boss, Fall 2016 all the way. Getting a supervisor has not been easy, and constructing a strong SOP and statement of research has been tough for me (Don't even know where to start from yet and I want it to be kinda perfect... imagine). I have shortlisted lists of schools but na to craft this SOP and SOR remain. I can use ur help honestly...

sirRiddy:

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 04, 2015
Crush ko, crunches ni
Alakori
profojah:

SirRiddy!. You wan spoil my parole?. You no know say I get one crush for here?.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pascal2young(m): 11:04pm On Sep 04, 2015
paulbets:
Yes Boss, Fall 2016 all the way. Getting a supervisor has not been easy, and constructing a strong SOP and statement of research has been tough for me (Don't even know where to start from yet and I want it to be kinda perfect... imagine). I have shortlisted lists of schools but na to craft this SOP and SOR remain. I can use ur help honestly...

seems we are on the same boat
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 11:29pm On Sep 04, 2015
Abi?, the thing no easy at all.
pascal2young:

seems we are on the same boat
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:19am On Sep 05, 2015
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:20am On Sep 05, 2015
Paulbets you guys are funny o. Getting supervisor is not the only issue jare. Supervisor fit no get grants to support research assistants. That means even if he accepts you and you get accepted into the program, you are not a graduate assistant but just an MS student that he is supervising. Your hope for GA would then lie upon the strength of your profile.
The reality is just that the schools with plenty grants and external funding are those top schools, like top 25. However, these schools are competitive to get admission into. Even those schools wey no get rank sef dey do shakara. They only fund the best candidates which is logical.

I will advice you keep mailing more profs sha but do not think that guarantees anything. It just boosts your chances. By the way, what programs are you looking into? I am aiming for a Masters program in Computer Science.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.