Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,940 members, 7,806,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (350) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1346955 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 10:48am On Mar 17, 2018
Lala234:

Copy the link, then
Close the gap between chat and WhatsApp.
Paste it to WhatsApp, it will work one time;

My 2 cents; Why don't you guys create a new thread for SAT or revive an old one? The thread will have more visibility hence more audience. All the best!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dmajor1(m): 11:44am On Mar 17, 2018
Good morning house. I'm back in here to give back after taking so much from this platform since last year. I came here a novice and I got the needed help here especially from Ndawe and oludare01. I havr since taken all the standardised test, submitted applications and received decisions. In all, I applied to six schools. Submitted four of those applications in early December and the other two before 8th January. All the decisions that I've gotten till date came in January. Saying this to emphasize the benefits of early application. I apologize for not coming here early enough. My profile is Summarised below

GPA: 3.67/5 (UG) and 5.8/7.0 (PG)
WES: 3.25 and 3.51
GRE: 305
TOEFL: 105
UG Course: Chemistry
PG Course: Analytical Chemistry
School Applied: Vanderbilt, FSU, Alabama, SIT, Nebraska-Lincoln, Pennsylvania State University.
School Admitted: Florida State University and University of Alabama (both with assistantship)
Schools Rejected: Penn state
Schools Unresponsive: Vanderbilt, Nebraska-Lincoln, Steven's institute of technology.

It was a long walk. It still is for there are still many hurdles ahead. I appreciate everyone here for helping me out to make this a reality. Information is power.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 12:21pm On Mar 17, 2018
dmajor1:
Good morning house. I'm back in here to give back after taking so much from this platform since last year. I came here a novice and I got the needed help here especially from Ndawe and oludare01. I havr since taken all the standardised test, submitted applications and received decisions. In all, I applied to six schools. Submitted four of those applications in early December and the other two before 8th January. All the decisions that I've gotten till date came in January. Saying this to emphasize the benefits of early application. I apologize for not coming here early enough. My profile is Summarised below

School Applied: Vanderbilt, FSU, Alabama, SIT, Nebraska-Lincoln, Pennsylvania State University.
School Admitted: Florida State University and University of Alabama (both with assistantship)
Schools Unresponsive: Vanderbilt, Nebraska-Lincoln, Steven's institute of technology.

It was a long walk. It still is for there are still many hurdles ahead. I appreciate everyone here for helping me out to make this a reality. Information is power.
That's wonderful!! Congratulations!!!
Wishing you success in your future endeavours

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheGrandChemist(m): 12:47pm On Mar 17, 2018
dmajor1:

Awesome. Congratulations smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sammybtc(m): 1:13pm On Mar 17, 2018
Anybody with Princeton review pls. I am suspecting someone is already paying for my GRE
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 17, 2018
dmajor1:

9ice 1

CONGRAT!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 2:01pm On Mar 17, 2018
dmajor1:

Congratulations! #TeamFall2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 2:22pm On Mar 17, 2018
fame12k:

Hello bro, thought u once mentioned about a whatsapp group for GRE....
Yes I did
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 2:25pm On Mar 17, 2018
sammybtc:
Anybody with Princeton review pls. I am suspecting someone is already paying for my GRE
Make the someone's money count, use ETS materials (official guide, verbal and quant workbook, old pdfs, Big book for RC's). You can add Magoosh, Nova Gre Maths bible. You can also use 1014 and 5lb as your workbooks. This list depends on your time

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 2:25pm On Mar 17, 2018
dmajor1:

Power move congrats sir

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fame12k(m): 2:35pm On Mar 17, 2018
ponpon:
Yes I did

Please add me up, +2348039411444
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 2:38pm On Mar 17, 2018
fame12k:

Please add me up, +2348039411444
I am the chief procrastinator of procrastination FC, but I'll try to add you up soon
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sammybtc(m): 2:43pm On Mar 17, 2018
ponpon:
Make the someone's money count, use ETS materials (official guide, verbal and quant workbook, old pdfs, Big book for RC's). You can add Magoosh, Nova Gre Maths bible. You can also use 1014 and 5lb as your workbooks. This list depends on your time
Thanks man. I have all you listed but not including big book for RC's and old pdf's. Can I get them please.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by noblemann1(m): 4:28pm On Mar 17, 2018
ponpon:
Same goes for TOEFL SAT and GMAT.... toefl.kmf.com sat.kmf.com gmat.kmf.com
How can I change the language from Chinese to English on mozilla Firefox??
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 6:19pm On Mar 17, 2018
noblemann1:

How can I change the language from Chinese to English on mozilla Firefox??
Thanks
Google chrome
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 6:19pm On Mar 17, 2018
sammybtc:

Thanks man. I have all you listed but not including big book for RC's and old pdf's. Can I get them please.
Send an email
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 17, 2018
Congrats to you. This is huge! More good news to follow
dmajor1:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sammybtc(m): 9:25pm On Mar 17, 2018
ponpon:
Send an email
Sent bro
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fame12k(m): 12:05am On Mar 18, 2018
ponpon:
I am the chief procrastinator of procrastination FC, but I'll try to add you up soon

Just sent a reminder mail... Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 12:19am On Mar 18, 2018
sammybtc:

Sent bro
I don't know how to do the Nairaland PM thingy, I try to reply and yahoomail sends me an error mail. patrick.jimoh60@gmail.com
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 10:38am On Mar 18, 2018
dmajor1:

Hearty cheers to you!!! I remember your moniker.
Just out of curiousity, which are you going for? Alabama or FSU?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MYSELF2018: 10:50am On Mar 18, 2018
Hello, Goodmorning to you,
Please I need someone that has done any research relating to "Development of a unifying theory for Data Mining" to please send me a pm via praisejummy42@gmail.com All I want is the soft copy of your research work with data set, software for running two algorithms, comparing the results from the two algorithms and the summary of the result. Please I am paying 15k for it. Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lala234: 1:03pm On Mar 18, 2018
Anyone Writing SAT can join the group*

https://chat. whatsapp.com/1sD5a7gg5iX8406mHCSpP1

*Please no post that isn't related to SAT*

*You will be removed for ever if rules are violated*
Copy the link, then
Close the gap between chat and WhatsApp.
Paste it to WhatsApp, it will work one time;
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nwabu007(m): 5:57pm On Mar 18, 2018
Congratulations! This is a big bold step forward.

TheGrandChemist:
I am actually over the moon right now.

Admission decision for one of the schools I applied to just arrived cheesy cheesy

School: Brigham Young university, Provo, Utah (Actually one of my top choices. Highly rated than the others I applied to with the best funding as well).

Program: PhD, Chemistry and Biochemistry.

Funding: In the affirmative, YES (GA) cheesy

However, I am still awaiting decisions from the other schools I applied to:

Louisiana state university, Ohio university, Georgia state university, University of Wyoming, University of Idaho, Oregon State University.

Profile:

Undergraduate course of study: Industrial chemistry

GPA: 3.38/4.00

GRE: 300

TOEFL: 99

No publication or research experience whatsoever. Although, I have about three years work experience.

For those of us still expectant of admission decisions, hold your horses and be positive.

And lest I forget, Mr ponpon thanks for the encouragement. I never imagined I would apply to seven schools if not for your encouragement.

Cheers cheesy grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nwabu007(m): 6:00pm On Mar 18, 2018
Insightful! Thank you @GNwafor.

GNwafor:
Hey Chief,

I understand your concerns.

I can tell you that the best decision you have made is to use WES for your credential evaluation, to douse your tensions, when the Evaluation comes out, within 1 week, you are having a qualification that is equivalent to a US Bachelors degree. (Nigerian HND+ND = USA BS Degree). WES evaluates your HND+ND program as a complete 5 year undergraduate program. I have done my Credential Evaluation in 2012 with WES, I studied Chemical Engineering (HND+ND) at IMT Enugu, the number of credits I earned in doing 81 courses at IMT Enugu Chemical Engineering over 5 years was 184 Credits, meanwhile you only need 120-130 Credits to earn a BS degree. As there is a 1-year Industrial Attachment/Internship, and this was noted in my Transcript, WES also noted it on my evaluation report. HND = USA BS Degree

I recommend that if you only choose WES Course-by-Course Report, kindly add the ICAP Service which is an additional $45, and it simply means that WES will store your Transcript, Credential + Evaluation Report for Life, so even in the next 2 (when you will be applying for PhD) or 5 or 10 or 20 or 30 years to come, and you need it to do anything in the USA, you will only need to pay them (WES) just $10 and WES will send your Original Transcript + Certificate + Evaluation Report to anybody, organization or school in the USA that needs the report.

You can read more at: https://www.nairaland.com/370346/what-hnd-equivalent-usa

There are over 4800 colleges and universities in the USA, not all accepts WES, not all knows what is HND, but there are a lot of them that respects WES Assessment, and this is a plus for you.

Having said that, I decided to remain docile on this forum, because a lot people claim to have an over-riding knowledge in matters of USA admission. The few HND holders I have helped to transition from HND to USA Masters and PhD, I have maintained that USA Graduate Admission is like looking for a job. But a lot of people think that by getting just good grades, you get admission. The answer is NO. This is not UK!!!

Admission in the USA is like job hunting, you need a strong profile, great grades (even low grades), if you have had a strong practical experience in your field, that's excellent, Statement of Purpose (SOP), not all school require it for Masters degree, strong CV/Resume - strong leadership skills, great score in GRE (if you are a STEM student - just as you are, then your Quant Score need to be impressive), Letters of recommendation (LOR) - you dont need people with High-Title (that is the mistake most people make), you only need people who can vouch for your seriousness to study, hard-work, diligent, leadership skills. For instance, you are diligent with you Church's activities, it is more useful and worthwhile for that your small local pastor to write a carefully-worded LOR for you that will create lasting impression in the heart of Admissions Committee than for that Manager that you see once every 3/4 months in the Office. Most schools require TOEFL, while some waive it for Nigerians since we studied in English in the first 16 yrs of our life.

What I advise people to do is this: go from HND/BSc to Masters Degree (in ANY ACCREDITED school in USA). At Masters level, you get to have a feel of what research is all about. Except, you have a thorough research/lab background to go directly to PhD.

Before finishing your Masters, you already planned to do PhD, at this stage, your interest is in research, and you have been taught the background in the Masters level. The problem most Nigerians have in the USA Admission is that they are looking for "name", Ivy-League, prestigious university. At BS degree level, name is IMPORTANT. At PhD, what is important is Carnegie Research Classification of University as R-1 (Highest Research Activity), R-2 (Higher Research Activity), R-3 (Moderate Research Activity).
For your information, if you get PhD Admission in any R-1 University, you will be given full-funding throughout your PhD, so far you are making progress towards your PhD degree.

So my template is go for your Masters degree at R-3 University, and mind you, most R-3 University provide either full scholarship or Graduate Teaching/Research/Assistantship (GT/GRA/GA), which covers your tuition fees, plus monthly stipend that can take care of you while you are studying for the Masters program, and a lot people don't apply to them because their name is not prestigious. Mind you, all the 8 Ivy-League Institutions are R-1 Universities. But because there are many people wanting to go to prestigious school for Masters, you either get admission without Funding or you don't get Masters admission. Am not saying that it is bad to get Masters admission into R-1 Universities.

Just a little insight into PhD Admissions, getting in touch with your would-be Advisor/Research Supervisor/Professor whose research interests matches yours, presenting him/her with what research you have done, showing interest that you have read/studied some of his/her publications, and taking the discussion further to know if he/she will be accepting a new student in semester you plan to join (mostly Fall Semester), most of the time he/she may request for some your credentials/research papers/transcripts, this creates a strong impression about you even before you apply to the PhD program, most often, he/she will recommend that you mention him/her in your SOP that you will like to work under his/her research group. This is one of the MOST important step of getting PhD Admission, and most people just go ahead and apply and they are rejected. Again, you need strong Recommendation Letters (mostly 3) from known Professors, attesting that you were groomed under their care as your Advisor - another major reason why going for Masters in the USA first is important, because you will build the needed educational research network that will push you into PhD Admission acceptance.

Application fee waiver; most R-3 University application fee for Masters is as low as $30 (i.e. #10,800 Naira, at 1$ = #360 naira).

There are a lot resources on the internet that can help you both with Practice Tests and SOP writing.

Just note, there a lot of great schools that will like to have you in their Masters program even with GTA/GRA/GA. It is also important that you contact the school know their SPECIFIC Admission Requirements before apply.

You have not said what you want to study Masters or PhD in What??

List of Research Universities in the United States (R-1, R-2, R-3): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_research_universities_in_the_United_States

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nwabu007(m): 6:03pm On Mar 18, 2018
Congratulations @Jumybecks.

Jumybecks:
Just in.......
School: University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
Program: PhD Cell and Molecular Biology
Funding: Yes (GA)

I have been on this admission of a thing since 2015. Wrote GRE in 2016 but did not apply to any school due to finance. I sat for another GRE in Nov 2017 and I applied to four schools: U of Arkansas, University of Delaware, New Mexico State University, and MTU. Got a regret mail for U of Delaware already but nothing yet from NMSU and MTU. It's really been God and the encouragement I tap from people on this forum.

Profile:
UG course: Microbiology
GPA: 3.7/4.0
GRE: 307
Toefl: 105
Publication: 1 (but it was after I had already completed all my applications so it did not count really)

May those expecting admit and funding get it by His grace.... AMEN!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 18, 2018
seems true undecided

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheGrandChemist(m): 6:40pm On Mar 18, 2018
Nwabu007:
Congratulations! This is a big bold step forward.

Thanks sir. smiley
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheGrandChemist(m): 6:47pm On Mar 18, 2018
tescoman90:
seems true undecided
Hahaha. This got me laughing really hard.

I noticed that on Gradcafe. Some schools would prefer to admit someone who has a GPA of 4.0/4.0 and a cumulative GRE score of let's say 315 to someone who has a GPA of 3.5/4.0, GRE score of 332 and some years of research experience. grin
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 7:46pm On Mar 18, 2018
Lol Only these universities know what they are looking for. Some focus on GPA. Some won't even look at your application if your GRE scores isn't up to what they expect. A Professor in Oregon State told me that in his department, if you don't get their minimum GRE score,They won't even look at your application.
Some of these GPA-centric universities tend to believe that your GPA is the result of some years work.GRE scores are the product of a short time effort. I agree with them though. The key thing I believe, is just to be a 'best fit' for your research area.

PhD applications are dicey. Many things have to work in your favour. Spaces are usually limited. For UCLA, 300 people applied to a particular department, only 15 were admitted.
TheGrandChemist:

Hahaha. This got me laughing really hard.

I noticed that on Gradcafe. Some schools would prefer to admit someone who has a GPA of 4.0/4.0 and a cumulative GRE score of let's say 315 to someone who has a GPA of 3.5/4.0, GRE score of 332 and some years of research experience. grin

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheGrandChemist(m): 8:10pm On Mar 18, 2018
Quoran:
Lol Only these universities know what they are looking for. Some focus on GPA. Some won't even look at your application if your GRE scores isn't up to what they expect. A Professor in Oregon State told me that in his department, if you don't get their minimum GRE score,They won't even look at your application.
Some of these GPA-centric universities tend to believe that your GPA is the result of some years work.GRE scores are the product of a short time effort. I agree with them though. The key thing I believe, is just to be a 'best fit' for your research area.

PhD applications are dicey. Many things have to work in your favour. Spaces are usually limited. For UCLA, 300 people applied to a particular department, only 15 were admitted.
Spot on.

This is the more reason one shouldn't just focus solely on his/her GRE scores and GPA. Other things like statement of purpose and letters of recommendation matter greatly.

One important thing that is usually overlooked by applicants is their choice of school. It is important for one to do a thorough research on the school of interest so as to know if it flies with his/her profile before submitting an application.

For instance, having done a research on Gradcafe and one discovers that school A usually prefers applicants with very high GPA's, it would be unwise for one who has a GPA of 3.2/4.0 to apply to the same school.

So, it's one thing to get a good overall profile, it's another thing to select those schools that will consider one's 'good overall profile' as good enough for admission.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.