Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (363) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347416 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bukyolami(f): 7:22pm On Apr 20, 2018
Please someone should reply me asap, no response in the house.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 7:34pm On Apr 20, 2018
Bukyolami:
h.
How do I get this please
Send a PM(personal message) to the moniker "ponpon" or Google "GRE BY MAFIT".
I am sorry if this sounds harsh but Please no one owe you a response.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 7:42pm On Apr 20, 2018
Bukyolami:
Please someone should reply me asap, no response in the house.
You need to read through the thread, all the resources you need to ace the GRE is on this thread. If you have written GRE before, how did you register then? It might be too late for you to apply for Fall. I'd you are in Lagos, you should consider BY MAFIT free tutorials. You will need a lot of patience in this Journey.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 7:48pm On Apr 20, 2018
STENON:
Thank you so much for your response and my sincere apology for just responding to your post. Goodmorning and how have you been sir? I am very grateful for the clarification concerning funding sir. After replying the emeritus of my willingless to accept the lab instructor position, He later requested for my CV and transcripts and I forwarded to him. Just few minutes ago, He asked me to submit my application ASAP so as to get my visa before resumption date. He also asked me to send a mail to another Prof. that I am the same Person as Stella I. on my transcript against Stella A. that is on my email address. He mentioned that he recommended Stella A. for graduate school before seeing Stella I. on my transcript. Finally, He said I should be ready for skype interview anytime soon. I am scared of what to expect during skype interview because I have never done such before.

Cc:
Quoran
Time2Smile
Scholastica16
and other great people of this forum
Nothing to fear my lady. He has already recommended you for admission and has some stakes in ensuring that you are legit. He just wants to chat with and get to know you. You should familiar with your previous courses and thesis. What your Career aspirations are. Learn
a little about his own work too and ask him about it. Just approach it as if talking to a senior colleague about your past education and future goals. I really don't have time to go into details. I am sure Quoran post will be more detailed and helpful. Cheers
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bukyolami(f): 8:00pm On Apr 20, 2018
Time2Smile:

You need to read through the thread, all the resources you need to ace the GRE is on this thread. If you have written GRE before, how did you register then? It might be too late for you to apply for Fall. I'd you are in Lagos, you should consider BY MAFIT free tutorials. You will need a lot of patience in this Journey.
Thanks,I was duped the first GRE reg(78k) that y I was asking about it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GraceJoks: 8:40pm On Apr 20, 2018
Time2Smile:

I am quite busy and can't always reply promptly. Read through the thread and you will find excellent school recommendations that have been applied to by others on this forum. However, most of the research and choice of schools is up to you because you are the one that know the most important criteria to you. I can suggest you look at:
1. University of Texas, Austin
2. University of Washington, Seattle
3. Duke University
4. University of Pennsylvania,
Those will be your reach schools

1. Texas A&M College station
2. University of Arizona
3. Iowa state University
4. University of Kentucky
5. University of Texas Dallas
6. University of Missouri
7. Florida state university

In addition, I think you should not limit yourself to only Statistics, but also look at Mathematics programs. Also, you might want to apply for PhD programs as the opportunity for funding is more. Your GRE is also a bit low considering your GPA and field (especially the Quant) , while I have no doubt you can get an offer with it, I believe a score of 160+ in Quant is attainable by you and it will boost your chances. You can do better than Central Michigan University.

Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by STENON(f): 9:28pm On Apr 20, 2018
Time2Smile:

Nothing to fear my lady. He has already recommended you for admission and has some stakes in ensuring that you are legit. He just wants to chat with and get to know you. You should familiar with your previous courses and thesis. What your Career aspirations are. Learn
a little about his own work too and ask him about it. Just approach it as if talking to a senior colleague about your past education and future goals. I really don't have time to go into details. I am sure Quoran post will be more detailed and helpful. Cheers
Thank you so much sir. I have read Quoran post also and I am doing follow up with it. The emeritus sent me a link to his research work to go through his previous work and I am taking my time to read through it. I am just having fear of the unkown, infact I have done google search to check the Physical appearance of the Prof. My undergraduate research work was in Education and his own is pure Physics.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by learner007(m): 10:36pm On Apr 20, 2018
GraceJoks:

You are the first person I am recommending this list to on NL. I stumbled on it online and from it I drew 3 of the schools I applied to. It's basically for maths and Statistics students

http://people.ku.edu/~jlmartin/masters.html
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fabyom: 4:06am On Apr 21, 2018
bro, my brother had a 3rd class in maths education. He then put in for BSc Economics at distance learning university of Ibadan where he had 4.4/7. He is trying to study curriculum and teaching with tech education. Which transcript should he submit or should he submit both
Quoran:
Polytechnics do not award graduate degrees.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by JoannaGr8: 5:24am On Apr 21, 2018
Hello, everyone. My name is Joanna. I've been following this thread for a while now and I must say that the experiences and comments shared here are very insightful and helpful. You guys rock. Thanks a lot for sharing.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by almeida3: 6:35am On Apr 21, 2018
STENON:
Thank you so much for your response and my sincere apology for just responding to your post. Goodmorning and how have you been sir? I am very grateful for the clarification concerning funding sir. After replying the emeritus of my willingless to accept the lab instructor position, He later requested for my CV and transcripts and I forwarded to him. Just few minutes ago, He asked me to submit my application ASAP so as to get my visa before resumption date. He also asked me to send a mail to another Prof. that I am the same Person as Stella I. on my transcript against Stella A. that is on my email address. He mentioned that he recommended Stella A. for graduate school before seeing Stella I. on my transcript. Finally, He said I should be ready for skype interview anytime soon. I am scared of what to expect during skype interview because I have never done such before.

Cc:
Quoran
Time2Smile
Scholastica16
and other great people of this forum

Hello Stenon!

I am doing just fine. Thank you.
This is great news! Just submit your application as requested by the emeritus.
As for the Skype interview, I will advise you go through your basic undergraduate physics. It is nothing to be scared about. Just look at it as a chat. He will not ask you cumbersome questions.The last time I had a Skype interview with a faculty, I was asked basic questions such as Newton's laws of motion, What are electromagnetic waves, what kind of practicals did you conduct as an undergraduate student etc. I will advice you go through his research and understand the basic principles of physics behind them. For instance, if his research centers on materials physics, you should know stuffs like Bragg's law, (conductors, semiconductors and insulators), defects in materials, miller indices and all that stuff. Don't dwell too much on his papers because you will probably not understand his work. Just get an idea of his research focus and nail that interview.

Regards!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by GraceJoks: 7:51am On Apr 21, 2018
learner007:

You are the first person I am recommending this list to on NL. I stumbled on it online and from it I drew 3 of the schools I applied to. It's basically for maths and Statistics students

http://people.ku.edu/~jlmartin/masters.html

Thank you so much.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by learner007(m): 12:15pm On Apr 21, 2018
GraceJoks:

Thank you so much.

You are welcome
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 8:00pm On Apr 21, 2018
I hope My post inspires/challenges someone out there.

The summary of this post (TLTR)
WES CGPA: 3.45
GRE: 320, 163Q
TOEFL: 107
TA for 6 months.

Schools applied to:
University of Nebraska (MSc)- Reject
Miami University, Ohio (MSc)- Admitted without funding
University of Tennessee, Knoxville (PhD)- Rejected
University of New Haven (MSc)- Accepted with TA position

Full Gist ( grin Because I enjoyed reading the gist of people like DrHopeful, SirRiddy, MsNas, BigFrancis21, sureb0y, etc.)

I began my grad school journey in 2016, researching schools on thegradcafe.com and MSinUS group on Facebook. My good man, MasterforceII, pointed me in the direction of Nairaland where I met our very own guru, SirRiddy, and bombarded him with questions like "What is the difference between Spring and Fall?"

Fast forward to November 2017, I completed my applications and waited on my professors to help out with LORs. December came and most apps were not complete just because of LOR. I had to eventually use a GA in my school and my employer at work. I actually started about 6 applications during this time but due to obligations at work and some other factors, I couldn't complete it.

In the course of writing my SOPs and CV, I reached out to a host of people on LinkedIn who were all too happy to help. I also contacted our very own happyday here and he gladly helped me vet it. I was so proud of the product and I was certain, to a large extent, that I would snatch a fully funded offer from all the schools I applied to and that my problem would be which to choose. Lol. I remember seeing other schools I could've applied to like UArk, UC Denver, Uni of Utah, All the schools in Dakota, etc. but they either required WES or official transcripts. Before I forget, I also began an application to Georgia Southern Uni but they required an evaluated transcript angry

Middle of February, I received a reject from Nebraska, and then it dawned on me that I was really just an average Joe. I was competing against geniuses from the USA, China, India, Pakistan, and Nigeria, and this realization just weakened me. Crestfallen didn't do justice to my plight, but I promised to move on. I was to choose between writing GRE again while gaining experience as a researcher here in Nigeria to improve my profile or apply to more schools and hope to cop half funding from any school in particular.

I strengthened my resolve and concluded that there was no assurance of a drastic GRE increase because of time, my place of work is in shambles and definitely, research was all about recycling papers and submitting to new journals.

Early March, I stumbled upon someone's transcript on the USA thread. We had a similar profile and he got a scholarship to University of New Haven. We spoke and I realized that it was just a 50% tuition waiver. I was desperate, I was going to source the rest, let them just give me admission.

Late March, Received admission and 50% funding as expected. I was a bit relieved and then I remembered my initial resolve, "no full funding, no traveling." Low-key, I was still hopeful that Tennessee or Miami would eventually come through.

Early April, Miami came through. Admission, no funding. The prof I maintained correspondence with said he'll accept me but I would need to fund myself. LOL.
I began to assess my chances with Tennessee and I saw that I was hanging on a thread abi rope, abeg, how them dey talk am. I met another UNH hopeful who was stoked to hear my profile. He also got 50% scholarship and felt I deserved more than that. He told me I should press for the Provost's scholarship and I did.
I sent a long mail to the department, expressing my inability to fund my studies and my wealth of experience as a TA. Few days later, my friend (he also requested) and I (along with two other people who we didn't know) were asked to be interviewed for the scholarship via skype.

Two days ago, I got the offer. Unfortunately my friend didn't.

I'm extremely grateful for the guys on this thread, reading stories like this way back then used to keep me awake till 2am while I was prepping for GRE. I'm extremely excited for everyone here also. Quoran, you're a legend, sir! Tizentos, Yildiz, smallsuper, Ridsan, tescoman, Temmitarts, everyone!
Scholastica16, I can't express the joy I felt in my heart every time you joined your faith with mine. God bless you!
P.S: Your rejoinders on the USA thread about MBA or no MBA made me laugh my head off! I itch for your Quora, Twitter, Medium, or any other account detail where you share your views. I'll send a PM.

#Fall2018 has been tortuous, a hell of a ride, but worth it still.
The knowledge that this is the beginning is quite funny. Internships, OPTs, H1-B, PhD. More rejections will come, but above all, we shall rise!

I will end with a famous quote which I do not know verbatim and will not check Google for, "Any fool can learn from his mistakes, it takes a wise man to learn from that of others."

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 8:28pm On Apr 21, 2018
double post
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 8:29pm On Apr 21, 2018
triple post
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 8:41pm On Apr 21, 2018
RexCheeng:

TA for 6 months.

Schools applied to:

Congratulations bro. You have no idea how happy I am for you and the way things turned out. You thought all hope was lost and were already making preparations for plan B but God stuck with plan A and crowned all your effort with success. Make us proud bro. #YesWeCan
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 9:39pm On Apr 21, 2018
Congrats RexCheeng
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shakaz(m): 12:35am On Apr 22, 2018
iamblisz:

Plz someone should comment on this
I know someone in Abj that can assist you greatly.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 6:41am On Apr 22, 2018
shakaz:
I'm interested. I sent u a pm
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 7:32am On Apr 22, 2018
MasterforceII:

Congratulations bro. You have no idea how happy I am for you and the way things turned out. You thought all hope was lost and were already making preparations for plan B but God stuck with plan A and crowned all your effort with success. Make us proud bro. #YesWeCan

Thanks once again bro! Expecting great things from your side.

Quoran:
Congrats RexCheeng

Thanks boss.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 7:39am On Apr 22, 2018
shakaz:
OK. Plz I'm interested. I sent a pm
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 8:22am On Apr 22, 2018
RexCheeng:

TA for 6 months.

Schools applied to:

Congrats man! Really happy for you... I can totally relate with your experience... Right now, I'm in the Plan B/ Plan A stage... We'll overcome! #Fall2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mosthigh33: 8:37am On Apr 22, 2018
Bukyolami:

Thanks,I was duped the first GRE reg(78k) that y I was asking about it.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by RexCheeng: 11:12am On Apr 22, 2018
mfarad:

Congrats man! Really happy for you... I can totally relate with your experience... Right now, I'm in the Plan B/ Plan A stage... We'll overcome! #Fall2018
My brother, thanks a bunch!
I know you're a fighter, hang in there! In the end, it'll be worth it!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by learner007(m): 1:51pm On Apr 22, 2018
RexCheeng:

TA for 6 months.

Schools applied to:

Full Gist ( grin Because I enjoyed reading the gist of people like DrHopeful, SirRiddy, MsNas, BigFrancis21, sureb0y, etc.)

I began my grad school journey in 2016, researching schools on thegradcafe.com and MSinUS group on Facebook. My good man, MasterforceII, pointed me in the direction of Nairaland where I met our very own guru, SirRiddy, and bombarded him with questions like "What is the difference between Spring and Fall?"

Fast forward to November 2017, I completed my applications and waited on my professors to help out with LORs. December came and most apps were not complete just because of LOR. I had to eventually use a GA in my school and my employer at work. I actually started about 6 applications during this time but due to obligations at work and some other factors, I couldn't complete it.

In the course of writing my SOPs and CV, I reached out to a host of people on LinkedIn who were all too happy to help. I also contacted our very own happyday here and he gladly helped me vet it. I was so proud of the product and I was certain, to a large extent, that I would snatch a fully funded offer from all the schools I applied to and that my problem would be which to choose. Lol. I remember seeing other schools I could've applied to like UArk, UC Denver, Uni of Utah, All the schools in Dakota, etc. but they either required WES or official transcripts. Before I forget, I also began an application to Georgia Southern Uni but they required an evaluated transcript angry

Middle of February, I received a reject from Nebraska, and then it dawned on me that I was really just an average Joe. I was competing against geniuses from the USA, China, India, Pakistan, and Nigeria, and this realization just weakened me. Crestfallen didn't do justice to my plight, but I promised to move on. I was to choose between writing GRE again while gaining experience as a researcher here in Nigeria to improve my profile or apply to more schools and hope to cop half funding from any school in particular.

I strengthened my resolve and concluded that there was no assurance of a drastic GRE increase because of time, my place of work is in shambles and definitely, research was all about recycling papers and submitting to new journals.

Early March, I stumbled upon someone's transcript on the USA thread. We had a similar profile and he got a scholarship to University of New Haven. We spoke and I realized that it was just a 50% tuition waiver. I was desperate, I was going to source the rest, let them just give me admission.

Late March, Received admission and 50% funding as expected. I was a bit relieved and then I remembered my initial resolve, "no full funding, no traveling." Low-key, I was still hopeful that Tennessee or Miami would eventually come through.

Early April, Miami came through. Admission, no funding. The prof I maintained correspondence with said he'll accept me but I would need to fund myself. LOL.
I began to assess my chances with Tennessee and I saw that I was hanging on a thread abi rope, abeg, how them dey talk am. I met another UNH hopeful who was stoked to hear my profile. He also got 50% scholarship and felt I deserved more than that. He told me I should press for the Provost's scholarship and I did.
I sent a long mail to the department, expressing my inability to fund my studies and my wealth of experience as a TA. Few days later, my friend (he also requested) and I (along with two other people who we didn't know) were asked to be interviewed for the scholarship via skype.

Two days ago, I got the offer. Unfortunately my friend didn't.

I'm extremely grateful for the guys on this thread, reading stories like this way back then used to keep me awake till 2am while I was prepping for GRE. I'm extremely excited for everyone here also. Quoran, you're a legend, sir! Tizentos, Yildiz, smallsuper, Ridsan, tescoman, Temmitarts, everyone!
Scholastica16, I can't express the joy I felt in my heart every time you joined your faith with mine. God bless you!
P.S: Your rejoinders on the USA thread about MBA or no MBA made me laugh my head off! I itch for your Quora, Twitter, Medium, or any other account detail where you share your views. I'll send a PM.

#Fall2018 has been tortuous, a hell of a ride, but worth it still.
The knowledge that this is the beginning is quite funny. Internships, OPTs, H1-B, PhD. More rejections will come, but above all, we shall rise!

I will end with a famous quote which I do not know verbatim and will not check Google for, "Any fool can learn from his mistakes, it takes a wise man to learn from that of others."

Wow!!! Congrats baba... Scholastica will be so happy to see this. He's talked about you. Glory to God on your behalf...a sigh of relief
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 4:58pm On Apr 22, 2018
Big thanks bro for the insight
Quoran:
Please do your research well. Michigan tech and Washington state are not straight forward in terms of funding. WSU usually require their engineering students resume first before they can be funded via TA. I got an RA after a long e-mail correspondence. I had to decline the offer for a better one.
Michigan Tech is a stingy school. You can apply if their application is still free. You can also apply to George Washington University. They waived their application fee for some of us who attended their webinar in December. They usually require some form of programming skills for engineering students. Focus on getting a good GRE Quant score and you will be admitted. They have scholarship for masters degree students and funding for PhD students too.

TAMUC is a good choice. I think they fund almost everyone admitted. I don't know about civil engineering but For Mechanical Engineering, those of us who have been admitted were funded.

Make sure you contact the departments/schools about funding. Many don't fund as they claim. By the way, funding is becoming hard to get. The more schools you apply to, the better your chances. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 8:01pm On Apr 22, 2018
RexCheeng:

TA for 6 months.

Schools applied to:

Congratulations.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 8:55pm On Apr 22, 2018
shakaz:
Plz your whatsapp number. I pm u but u not replying
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shakaz(m): 1:04am On Apr 23, 2018
iamblisz:

Plz your whatsapp number. I pm u but u not replying
I replied you already.

Drop yours. I will add you up.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fabyom: 1:30am On Apr 23, 2018
hello bro, I am looking forward to fall2019. When best to register for GRE though I already preparing for the exam.
Thanks
ponpon:
I know two people that got admitted with full funding to your field for fall 18 one for Ms/PhD in West Virginia University gpa 4.5+/5 GRE 319 toefl 108 and the other Ms Missouri GRE 314 gpa is also a first class gpa.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 4:05am On Apr 23, 2018
fabyom:
hello bro, I am looking forward to fall2019. When best to register for GRE though I already preparing for the exam.
Thanks
Hmmm

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.