Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,394 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (384) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1347489 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 8:13pm On Jul 01, 2018
patrick.jimoh60@gmail.com
codehead777:

Share your contact.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Alfrediolu: 10:26pm On Jul 01, 2018
ponpon:
patrick.jimoh60@gmail.com
Hi, Are you affiliated to Brabrit limited?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md17: 10:26pm On Jul 01, 2018
Alfrediolu:

Aiit.

I couldn't get you on WhatsApp. @md17

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by calculator123(m): 2:01am On Jul 02, 2018
Tunmise100:
Feeling so unhappy about this. This is an eye opener
for others. AVOID THE DITCH OF FRAUD/SCAM
oga applied mathematician, i hope you weren't affected
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 11:13am On Jul 02, 2018
Hi all, I have been following this thread for almost 3 months now. Mehn this thread is loaded with information's.i m currently at page 183, I will try and finish up. I have been studying for GRE for almost a month now though I'm a serving Corp member, round up this Thursday. I have not really studied the way I want because my target is 325 due to my very low GPA - 2.70,I also attend tutorials for the GRE because I want to give my all in this . I am planning to apply for fall 2019 and writing GRE by September, infact I'm planning registering the GRE by next week so I will be very serious with my studies.
Pls I need magoosh videos, the links posted here are either expired or have corrupt videos.i am based in Abuja fr anyone who wants to share the video. I know I don't have much time but do I have any chance of getting that score with intense two month of study? And what are my chances with my low GPA.
Pls how do you guys study?. Sometimes I feel as if I'm not doing enough to achieve that score.
Mr riddy , time2smile, ponpon, icool, scholastica et al please I need your input on this.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 12:15pm On Jul 02, 2018
iamblisz:
Hi all, I have been following this thread for almost 3 months now. Mehn this thread is loaded with information's.i m currently at page 183, I will try and finish up. I have been studying for GRE for almost a month now though I'm a serving Corp member, round up this Thursday. I have not really studied the way I want because my target is 325 due to my very low GPA - 2.70,I also attend tutorials for the GRE because I want to give my all in this . I am planning to apply for fall 2019 and writing GRE by September, infact I'm planning registering the GRE by next week so I will be very serious with my studies.
Pls I need magoosh videos, the links posted here are either expired or have corrupt videos.i am based in Abuja fr anyone who wants to share the video. I know I don't have much time but do I have any chance of getting that score with intense two month of study? And what are my chances with my low GPA.
Pls how do you guys study?. Sometimes I feel as if I'm not doing enough to achieve that score.

Why not target 340?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 1:39pm On Jul 02, 2018
Olalekank:

Why not target 340?
Are u serious?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Predstan: 3:56pm On Jul 02, 2018
Quoran:
GRE QUANT TIPS
1.In Quantitative Comparison questions, try numbers in this order: 0,1,2,-2,1/2. I learned this from NOVA GRE book. It works just fine.
2.Quantitative Comparison questions are half of a GRE Quant section (10 in number).
3.In Quantitative Comparison questions, before you select an answer, try at least two numbers.
4.Know the rules of divisibility. It will help.
5.Pay special attention to words like ‘the greatest possible’ in quantitative comparison questions. For instance, the greatest possible number of points common to a triangle and a circle is ____? It is more likely than many of us will pick three. Six points is also possible. Just remember that the triangle must not be inscribed in the circle. Six points will pass through the circumference.
6.Do not assume more than what is given especially in Quantitative Comparison questions.
7.Special triangles: 30-60-90 :1:√3:2;45-45-90:1:1:√2 ; The longer the side, the larger the angle opposite it and vice versa.
8.Supplementary angles 180, Complementary angles 90. Parallel lines have the same slope. Perpendicular lines – Negative reciprocal of the original line. (This appeared on my GRE). Know the equation of a line in different forms.
9.Learn all those Mensuration stuff.
10.Once a calculation is going on for too long, check your method again. There might be something wrong.
11.Be careful when multiplying or dividing by a negative number in inequality problems. Never do this in a Quantitative Comparison question.
12. PEMDAS – Parentheses-Exponents-Division-Mulitplication-Addition-Subtraction.
13.Integer 0 is neither positive nor negative.
14. 0 to 9 inclusive is 10 integers.
15. If a is even, b is odd, then a+2b is even, 2a+b is odd, ab is even etc. These kinds of questions are common.
16.P(A or B) =P(A) + P(B) Mutually exclusive ; P(A or B) =P(A) + P(B) –P(A and B) Independent
17.Know Mean, mode and median and how numbers can affect them.
18.In word problems, use 100 for percentages. Do not use a number if the word problem has a fraction. I think Princeton Review covers this.
19.How many multiples of 7 are there between 100 and 150? 7 not 6. 147-105=42. 42/7 =6. 6+1 =7.
20.10 evenly spaced tick marks on a number line is 9 intervals not 10.
21.Any three consecutive integers will always contain a multiple of 3.
22. Rate x Time = Distance. Draw a table and solve all rate questions like this. Manhattan covers this well.
23. Pay attention to units, scales and values along the X and Y axes in graphs.
24. Average degree per side = (180(n-2))/n.
25.0 is a number.
26.How many square pieces can you get from a board of 18 by 30 inches without wasting any of the board? Answer: 15. Greatest divisor of 18 and 30 is 6. 18/6=3; 30/6=5; 3X5 =15. (Simple questions like this can waste your time).
27.Increase something by 250% is 3.5 times the number not 2.5 times the number.
28.Standard deviation questions are not usually difficult. Just know how it affects the mean.
29.Study the Official GRE test guide. You will not go wrong if you follow it strictly. Use other books (Magoosh, Manhattan, Princeton) for more tips , tricks and sample questions.
30.The key to scoring well on the GRE is to do well in the first section. The first section is usually easy (Assuming you prepared really well). This section is easy but tricky. If you practice well enough, you will observe that this is the section were you will finish with time to spare. On your sketch paper, I will advise that you solve your questions sequentially. Peradventure you need to go back to a question or review it, you can easily track your mistakes.
31. Pace well. Do not spend too much time on a particular question. I finished with some minutes to spare. I was able to review up to 10 questions and I can remember changing my mind on two answers I had previously selected. I did score 20/20 in that section.
32.Do not waste time on any question. This is very easy to say really. I made the same mistake in my second section. I wasted time on the first few questions as they were difficult. This affected my score. I noticed the easier questions were at the bottom.
33. The GRE is section adaptive. If you do well in the first section, you get a more difficult second section and vice-versa. This is aimed at making test takers get at least 150 marks. It follows a normal distribution. Those doing well are ‘dragged’ to 150. Those not scoring well are ‘helped’ to 150. (Additional probably unnecessary information lol).
34.From proven research, for you to get a more difficult second section, you need to score at least 14 in the Quant and 12 in the Verbal. The more difficult section carries more weight than a normal section. The more difficult questions you get correctly in the second section, you more points you have.
35.The scoring is not linear. I had 20 in the first section and 15 in the second section yet I had 166. In my Verbal, I had 14/20 in both sections yet I scored 161. Same thing I noticed with my friends and in my first attempt.
36.If you score 10/20 in the first Quant section and 16/20 in the next section, you will score 153. If you score 16/20 in the first section and 10/20 in the section, you will score 156. DO YOUR BEST IN THE FIRST SECTION. Verbal is more difficult than the Quant.
37.Peradventure you do not do well in the first section (You will know because the questions will be easy; It happened to me during my first attempt), you can still blast the second section. Just take it easy and do you best.
38.The on screen calculator can slow you down. Use it only if you really need it.
39.You can learn to back-solve questions. It helps when you are clueless on how to solve certain questions. I think Princeton covers this a lot.
40.I make mistakes more when I rush and do not take time to read the question well. Do not also try to solve questions mentally. Write it down to avoid errors.
41. Do a lot of practice tests. Under normal conditions, we will all score well. A timed practice test is the real deal. PowerPrep, Manhattan, Kaplan are good in this regard.
42. The GRE has a structure: For the Quant, you get 4 easy questions, 12 medium questions and 4 hard questions on your first section. Look at the Official GRE guide for more on question difficulty.
43.Some people are that good that some tips did not work for them. If you are like me that needed to retake the test, you have to pay attention to many things to avoid getting the same poor score.
44.By the way, there is nothing like a bad score. It all depends on what you want to use it for.
All the best folks. Pardon my errors.

Good afternoon Quoran and other gurus in the house.
I wrote my GRE test today and I got an abysmal score and its so painful because it means I wasted 3month preparing for this test
Well, I realised I was just blindfolded by my test score on Magoosh and powerprep which made me reduce my reading habit in the last two weeks of preparation.
My unofficial score is 303 (Q157 and V146) but I sent the score to some schools and I want you to help scrutinize my profile.
GRE-303
HND-WES OFFICIAL EVALUATION (3.59)
Course of Study-Electrical Engineering
RECOMMENDATIONS- 2 Doctors and 1 Mr.
I sent my scores to these four schools
Florida state University- hoping to apply for direct PHD and their GRE requirement is 145 in verbal and 151 in Quant
North Dakota state University- PHD in Electrical engineering. A professor from there have a PhD position with full funding and I will be mailing him today or tomorrow
Rochester Institute of technology-Masters Application
Georgia Southern university- Masters in Applied Engineering

Please give me an advice. I am thinking of taking that test again in 21days. The only practice I need to do more is RC. That thing get as e be ooooo
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 4:56pm On Jul 02, 2018
Good attempt on the GRE though you didn't get the score you envisaged. Nevertheless, your score isn't useless. You can still use it to get admission for masters degree programmes. However, if you want funding, you have to get a competitive score.

Relax and reflect on today's test and your performance. Don't be too hard on yourself. Try and find out what went wrong. When your diagnostic test /review is out, study it to know your weakness.

I know the feeling of rushing to retake the GRE in 21 days time. Unfortunately, your score wont change if you have not improved on your weak areas. Please give yourself time. At least a month. Since you're going for Fall 2019, take your time and have a good Quant score.

PHD admissions are competitive as funding is usually involved , so meeting the minimum requirement is not a guarantee. For your masters degree application, you can use this GRE. However, if you want to improve on it, the better as funding opportunities can come up. Cheers. All the best.

Predstan:

Good afternoon Quoran and other gurus in the house.
I wrote my GRE test today and I got an abysmal score and its so painful because it means I wasted 3month preparing for this test
Well, I realised I was just blindfolded by my test score on Magoosh and powerprep which made me reduce my reading habit in the last two weeks of preparation.
My unofficial score is 303 (Q157 and V146) but I sent the score to some schools and I want you to help scrutinize my profile.
GRE-303
HND-WES OFFICIAL EVALUATION (3.59)
Course of Study-Electrical Engineering
RECOMMENDATIONS- 2 Doctors and 1 Mr.
I sent my scores to these four schools
Florida state University- hoping to apply for direct PHD and their GRE requirement is 145 in verbal and 151 in Quant
North Dakota state University- PHD in Electrical engineering. A professor from there have a PhD position with full funding and I will be mailing him today or tomorrow
Rochester Institute of technology-Masters Application
Georgia Southern university- Masters in Applied Engineering

Please give me an advice. I am thinking of taking that test again in 21days. The only practice I need to do more is RC. That thing get as e be ooooo
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Olalekank(m): 5:30pm On Jul 02, 2018
iamblisz:
Are u serious?
No kidding. Leave room for errors.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 02, 2018
send me a mail. I will be in Abuja before Saturday

iamblisz:
Mr riddy , time2smile, ponpon, icool, scholastica et al please I need your input on this.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Remen: 8:54pm On Jul 02, 2018
I have gone through this thread but i have some questions please. My Gpa is 4.13/5... I have IELTS of band 8. Is there any advantage of Toefl over IELTs. I intend to take GRE.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Remen: 8:55pm On Jul 02, 2018
Just to mention I studied chemical engineering in uniben and I plan to do a masters program.. Probably Industrial Engineering and Operations research
Remen:
I have gone through this thread but i have some questions please. My Gpa is 4.13/5... I have IELTS of band 8. Is there any advantage of Toefl over IELTs. I intend to take GRE.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2018
I eventually wrote the 'almighty' Gre at Galaxy Uniprep today. Got to the venue around 9 :00am , after every, every which took about an hour. I and other test takers were ushered in.

The AWS popped up on the screen like play. I tot I was hallucinating when I read the essay prompt. Na wetin I don practice before. It really calmed my nerves, without having to think much I got over it. The argument essay also popped up, na wetin I don practice too. Down within me, I got excited. These were propitious sign.

To keep my long story short, for the real thing, na VQVQV. At the end of the day, got 313. Verbal-159 Quant.-154. I was surprised cos maths na where my strength lies. I hope it will not ciously affect my applicationsince I'm from Engineering background. My first quant section was bad, had to struggle with some question. I noticed the second quant was quite easy, I already knew it will be difficult to reach 160.
As regard the verbal part, I knew the meaning of almost the words I encountered, some of the RC were even familiar. It was as if I've seen them before.

My advice for future test takers is for them to practice, practice, practice and practice.

Really want to appreciate everyone on this thread. Bosses in the house, Quoran, Ponpon et al. I sent my scores to Tamuc, University of Arizona, Washington and Arkansas. Am I on the right track??

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iamblisz(m): 8:58pm On Jul 02, 2018
Senator35:
send me a mail. I will be in Abuja before Saturday

Done sir
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 9:00pm On Jul 02, 2018
Though USA schools accept IELTS, TOEFL is preferred by most of them.I can't say if there's any advantage of one over the other as I have only written IELTS some years back. Write TOEFL if you need to.
Remen:
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by arc043166: 9:41pm On Jul 02, 2018
ponpon:
yes you can for 205 but I can register you for 45k

How genuine can you be?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 10:20pm On Jul 02, 2018
arc043166:

How genuine can you be?
more than Buhari perhaps ! !!! Haha. Dude, ain’t here to play games
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 10:22pm On Jul 02, 2018
Congrats man! Time to do your part by sharing tips most especially for verbal you did a good job! Nice scores !!! Books that helped and all. Please share!
4gunners:
I eventually wrote the 'almighty' Gre at Galaxy Uniprep today. Got to the venue around 9 :00am , after every, every which took about an hour. I and other test takers were ushered in.

The AWS popped up on the screen like play. I tot I was hallucinating when I read the essay prompt. Na wetin I don practice before. It really calmed my nerves, without having to think much I got over it. The argument essay also popped up, na wetin I don practice too. Down within me, I got excited. These were propitious sign.

To keep my long story short, for the real thing, na VQVQV. At the end of the day, got 313. Verbal-159 Quant.-154. I was surprised cos maths na where my strength lies. I hope it will not ciously affect my applicationsince I'm from Engineering background. My first quant section was bad, had to struggle with some question. I noticed the second quant was quite easy, I already knew it will be difficult to reach 160.
As regard the verbal part, I knew the meaning of almost the words I encountered, some of the RC were even familiar. It was as if I've seen them before.

My advice for future test takers is for them to practice, practice, practice and practice.

Really want to appreciate everyone on this thread. Bosses in the house, Quoran, Ponpon et al. I sent my scores to Tamuc, University of Arizona, Washington and Arkansas. Am I on the right track??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by neahyo(m): 10:44pm On Jul 02, 2018
ponpon:
Congrats man! Time to do your part by sharing tips most especially for verbal you did a good job! Nice scores !!! Books that helped and all. Please share!

Hi, do you register GRE for candidates that would be writing outside of Nigeria?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 12:06am On Jul 03, 2018
Yes I do
neahyo:

Hi, do you register GRE for candidates that would be writing outside of Nigeria?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by neahyo(m): 1:33am On Jul 03, 2018
ponpon:
Yes I do
Sent you a mail, do check. Thanks!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 5:46am On Jul 03, 2018
Verba Prep.

I read almost all the available text books for the verbal prep. I started with Barron moved to Kaplan, Manhattan, Princeton and concluded with ETS textbook. Magoosh also helped with some strategy. Using this variant sources allowed me to get used to the way SC and TC are asked. Understanding the shifting in the sentences became natural after practicing so many question. For example, a sentence which begins with 'Though' tells you that the second part of the sentence is opposite to the first part. You can't build this intuition overnight, it takes practice, practice and practice. Besides, I practiced lot of questions, came across tons of words. During the review of any practice questions I did, my phone was always handy to check the meaning of words. I also made u of magoosh vocabulary app. I became so accustomed with sc and TC that they became my friends. Building ur vocabulary is very Important. Almost all the words I saw on my test were the ones av come across one way or the other.

For the RC, understanding the strategy in Kaplan and Princeton is key. For example, avoiding extreme answers. GRE loves to use that as bait in their answer choices. Pls, practice, practice and practice. The RC are most times abstruse. However, by the time you practice a lot, you become accustomed to the RC.
On the test day, just like my Oga's have said. I think it was Quoran. I quickly attacked the TC and SC part. Because Av gotten so used to them, it took me 10 min even less than to answer all. This gave me ample time to answer the the RC.

The importance of PRACTICE cannot be overemphasized. I used princeton online, Kaplan, magoosh, powerprep for my simulation test.

For the AWs, practice the essay prompt on the ETS website. As many as u could. Who knows, you can be as lucky as me on your test day to be given the essays you've practiced before.

Abeg, pardon my errors

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by orelio(m): 9:51am On Jul 03, 2018
Hey guys Good Morning.

So I gave Gre a try yesterday. Q162,V152.

Powerprep average :Q168,V152
Kaplan average:Q164,V153
Princeton average:Q164,V156
Magoosh average : Q160, V152

Recommendation
For verbal, although my score wasn't good but I think verbal grail, cracking the gre,magoosh questions and ETS materials should suffice. Don't waste your time cramming too many words, it's a test of structure not grammar.

For Quant; Ets materials,5lb Manhattan, magoosh questions.

Also take as many practice test as you can.

Thought about retaking it tho. I knew I could easily have gotten 166> in the quant if I had managed my time well.. But my verbal has been around 152 even in my practice tests; so except I know a way of improving it significantly(especial those RCs), there is no point retaking it again.

My profile
Mechanical engineering
UG : 3.35/4.0 but my last two years result is 3.57/4.0
No publication
IELTS: 7.0
Gre:314
Experience: 1 year Non engineering experience

Gurus in the house what are my chances for Kansas state university, auburn,Oregon and university of Arkansas.. I'll like to apply to more schools though so I'll appreciate your suggestions.@ponpon, quoran, scholatica16,Mr Riddy....

10 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 10:02am On Jul 03, 2018
Congrats on your GRE. I guess you're going for Fall 2019? If so,You have more time to check out more schools.
orelio:
Hey guys Good Morning.

Recommendation
For verbal, although my score wasn't good but I think verbal grail, cracking the gre,magoosh questions and ETS materials should suffice. Don't waste your time cramming too many words, it's a test of structure not grammar.

Thought about retaking it tho. I knew I could easily have gotten 166> in the quant if I had managed my time well.. But my verbal has been around 152 even in my practice tests; so except I know a way of improving it significantly(especial those RCs), there is no point retaking it again.

My profile
Mechanical engineering
No publication

Gurus in the house what are my chances for Kansas state university, auburn,Oregon and university of Arkansas.. I'll like to apply to more schools though so I'll appreciate your suggestions.@ponpon, quoran, scholatica16,Mr Riddy....

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by haywhizzy21(m): 10:42am On Jul 03, 2018
Can i chat u biko?

4gunners:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by starboychan: 11:00am On Jul 03, 2018
Quoran:
GRE QUANT TIPS
1.In Quantitative Comparison questions, try numbers in this order: 0,1,2,-2,1/2. I learned this from NOVA GRE book. It works just fine.
2.Quantitative Comparison questions are half of a GRE Quant section (10 in number).
3.In Quantitative Comparison questions, before you select an answer, try at least two numbers.
4.Know the rules of divisibility. It will help.
5.Pay special attention to words like ‘the greatest possible’ in quantitative comparison questions. For instance, the greatest possible number of points common to a triangle and a circle is ____? It is more likely than many of us will pick three. Six points is also possible. Just remember that the triangle must not be inscribed in the circle. Six points will pass through the circumference.
6.Do not assume more than what is given especially in Quantitative Comparison questions.
7.Special triangles: 30-60-90 :1:√3:2;45-45-90:1:1:√2 ; The longer the side, the larger the angle opposite it and vice versa.
8.Supplementary angles 180, Complementary angles 90. Parallel lines have the same slope. Perpendicular lines – Negative reciprocal of the original line. (This appeared on my GRE). Know the equation of a line in different forms.
9.Learn all those Mensuration stuff.
10.Once a calculation is going on for too long, check your method again. There might be something wrong.
11.Be careful when multiplying or dividing by a negative number in inequality problems. Never do this in a Quantitative Comparison question.
12. PEMDAS – Parentheses-Exponents-Division-Mulitplication-Addition-Subtraction.
13.Integer 0 is neither positive nor negative.
14. 0 to 9 inclusive is 10 integers.
15. If a is even, b is odd, then a+2b is even, 2a+b is odd, ab is even etc. These kinds of questions are common.
16.P(A or B) =P(A) + P(B) Mutually exclusive ; P(A or B) =P(A) + P(B) –P(A and B) Independent
17.Know Mean, mode and median and how numbers can affect them.
18.In word problems, use 100 for percentages. Do not use a number if the word problem has a fraction. I think Princeton Review covers this.
19.How many multiples of 7 are there between 100 and 150? 7 not 6. 147-105=42. 42/7 =6. 6+1 =7.
20.10 evenly spaced tick marks on a number line is 9 intervals not 10.
21.Any three consecutive integers will always contain a multiple of 3.
22. Rate x Time = Distance. Draw a table and solve all rate questions like this. Manhattan covers this well.
23. Pay attention to units, scales and values along the X and Y axes in graphs.
24. Average degree per side = (180(n-2))/n.
25.0 is a number.
26.How many square pieces can you get from a board of 18 by 30 inches without wasting any of the board? Answer: 15. Greatest divisor of 18 and 30 is 6. 18/6=3; 30/6=5; 3X5 =15. (Simple questions like this can waste your time).
27.Increase something by 250% is 3.5 times the number not 2.5 times the number.
28.Standard deviation questions are not usually difficult. Just know how it affects the mean.
29.Study the Official GRE test guide. You will not go wrong if you follow it strictly. Use other books (Magoosh, Manhattan, Princeton) for more tips , tricks and sample questions.
30.The key to scoring well on the GRE is to do well in the first section. The first section is usually easy (Assuming you prepared really well). This section is easy but tricky. If you practice well enough, you will observe that this is the section were you will finish with time to spare. On your sketch paper, I will advise that you solve your questions sequentially. Peradventure you need to go back to a question or review it, you can easily track your mistakes.
31. Pace well. Do not spend too much time on a particular question. I finished with some minutes to spare. I was able to review up to 10 questions and I can remember changing my mind on two answers I had previously selected. I did score 20/20 in that section.
32.Do not waste time on any question. This is very easy to say really. I made the same mistake in my second section. I wasted time on the first few questions as they were difficult. This affected my score. I noticed the easier questions were at the bottom.
33. The GRE is section adaptive. If you do well in the first section, you get a more difficult second section and vice-versa. This is aimed at making test takers get at least 150 marks. It follows a normal distribution. Those doing well are ‘dragged’ to 150. Those not scoring well are ‘helped’ to 150. (Additional probably unnecessary information lol).
34.From proven research, for you to get a more difficult second section, you need to score at least 14 in the Quant and 12 in the Verbal. The more difficult section carries more weight than a normal section. The more difficult questions you get correctly in the second section, you more points you have.
35.The scoring is not linear. I had 20 in the first section and 15 in the second section yet I had 166. In my Verbal, I had 14/20 in both sections yet I scored 161. Same thing I noticed with my friends and in my first attempt.
36.If you score 10/20 in the first Quant section and 16/20 in the next section, you will score 153. If you score 16/20 in the first section and 10/20 in the section, you will score 156. DO YOUR BEST IN THE FIRST SECTION. Verbal is more difficult than the Quant.
37.Peradventure you do not do well in the first section (You will know because the questions will be easy; It happened to me during my first attempt), you can still blast the second section. Just take it easy and do you best.
38.The on screen calculator can slow you down. Use it only if you really need it.
39.You can learn to back-solve questions. It helps when you are clueless on how to solve certain questions. I think Princeton covers this a lot.
40.I make mistakes more when I rush and do not take time to read the question well. Do not also try to solve questions mentally. Write it down to avoid errors.
41. Do a lot of practice tests. Under normal conditions, we will all score well. A timed practice test is the real deal. PowerPrep, Manhattan, Kaplan are good in this regard.
42. The GRE has a structure: For the Quant, you get 4 easy questions, 12 medium questions and 4 hard questions on your first section. Look at the Official GRE guide for more on question difficulty.
43.Some people are that good that some tips did not work for them. If you are like me that needed to retake the test, you have to pay attention to many things to avoid getting the same poor score.
44.By the way, there is nothing like a bad score. It all depends on what you want to use it for.
All the best folks. Pardon my errors.

Hello please kindly check my profile below and advise me accordingly
cgpa- 3.12/5
course - Civil engineering
gre - not yet

I'm planning to take gre around September, I will to know if there is any chance I can secure a fellowship / assistantship with my cgpa.. Thank you.... I will also like to speak to you privately.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 11:32am On Jul 03, 2018
haywhizzy21:

Can i chat u biko?

Why not..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by SplendidGod: 12:07pm On Jul 03, 2018
Mr Ponpon, please reply my mail. I need to register for GRE ASAP before the money disappears
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 3:38pm On Jul 03, 2018
SplendidGod:
Mr Ponpon, please reply my mail. I need to register for GRE ASAP before the money disappears
replied to all the email I received
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kylexy61(m): 7:09pm On Jul 03, 2018
orelio:
Hey guys Good Morning.

Recommendation

My profile
Mechanical engineering
No publication

Seems the powerprep Quant is easier than actual GRE. My Quant Powerprep average was 167, I "only" got 163 in the actual. It appears the actual test questions are more time consuming. I remember I was really pressed for time.

Give it a shot and apply to as many schools as you can. Spread your risk, and triumph will be knocking at your door. I managed to get an admit to Purdue University, Civil Engineering (Tho, I eventually rejected the offer).

Best wishes

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by 4gunners(m): 9:12pm On Jul 03, 2018
kylexy61:

Seems the powerprep Quant is easier than actual GRE. My Quant Powerprep average was 167, I "only" got 163 in the actual. It appears the actual test questions are more time consuming. I remember I was really pressed for time.

Give it a shot and apply to as many schools as you can. Spread your risk, and triumph will be knocking at your door. I managed to get an admit to Purdue University, Civil Engineering (Tho, I eventually rejected the offer).

Boss, I'm applying for Msc/phd civil engineering. Need ur advice as regard skls

Gre 313
GPA 3.51/4

Best wishes

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.