Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,698 members, 7,805,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (94) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1346683 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 4:42pm On Jun 23, 2016
temi4fash:

Bro where did you see the rankings?

Was thinking of going for fire Protection Engineering
You mean school size and all?
School website, Wikipedia, us news
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 5:39pm On Jun 23, 2016
JoshSW:

Thanks boss. Also, SirRiddy (and the house in general)..... 1) with good GRE scores, SOP and references, do i realistically stand a chance of going for a PhD in my (original) Geophysics field? 2) can i get admission with GA/TA funding into a MSc Geophysics (with this cgpa/wes evaluated GPA)? ... pls don't mind my questions o! just trying to make well-informed decisions!....... Your thoughts please.

In addition to what others have said here you can play with by taking a look at the Geophysics programs of these Universities:
University of Utah
Binghamton University
Boise State University
Michigan Technological University
University of Maine
University of Wyoming
University of Pittbourg
You can send all your queries to the grad coordinator to get first hand information.
Goodlock!
I have an MS and a BS in Geology!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by JoshSW: 12:35am On Jun 24, 2016
Ekofisk:

Truth be told, you'll never know until you ask the graduate advisor. You stand a chance if there's no policy in place barring first year TA/RA. In that case, it'll be a factor of your overall profile, how early you apply and the departmental budget for the fiscal year. There are so many Geoscience programs as against Petroleum. You should get a program that'll suit your needs. Start researching and contacting schools in Texas and Oklahoma.

For PhD, they'll most likely require some level of research experience which y
ou can only show via publications. You can work towards getting a paper published in NAPE or AAPG. That will be a strong boost for PhD application for a Geoscience programs.

Thanks a lot Ekofisk. i really appreciate your help
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by JoshSW: 12:35am On Jun 24, 2016
Ekofisk:

Truth be told, you'll never know until you ask the graduate advisor. You stand a chance if there's no policy in place barring first year TA/RA. In that case, it'll be a factor of your overall profile, how early you apply and the departmental budget for the fiscal year. There are so many Geoscience programs as against Petroleum. You should get a program that'll suit your needs. Start researching and contacting schools in Texas and Oklahoma.

For PhD, they'll most likely require some level of research experience which y
ou can only show via publications. You can work towards getting a paper published in NAPE or AAPG. That will be a strong boost for PhD application for a Geoscience programs.

Thanks a lot Ekofisk. i really appreciate your help
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by JoshSW: 12:37am On Jun 24, 2016
sirRiddy:
JoshSW
Truth is PhD admission is generally very competitive. If you do not have a 3.5/4, a PhD in a top 100 ranked school is a far reach. I have a 3.28/4, got into a PhD program (ranked 90) and it is still quite incerdible to me, even though I had quite good test scores. My PhD applications would likely be thrown out of most top 50 Computer Science programs. Maybe a PhD program in a school that is not ranked might accept a low GPA. It is not adviseable to pursue PhD in this kind of school though. One factor that might throw a different dimension into your application is if you have good research experience. This is the most important factor in PhD admissions. If you have published an academic paper in a reputable journal, then you can argue your case better.
Funding depends on the availability of funding and your profile. PhD candidates stand better chances than MS counterparts. Every individual case is unique and it is advisable that you properly do you research while looking for schools to apply to. 1. google.com 2. the schools' websites 3. top conferences and journals in your discipline 4. US news ranking and other revered rankings 5. Faculty work and their research interests. 6. gradcafe 7. quora
Thank you very much sirRiddy..very useful info you've given me
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by JoshSW: 12:40am On Jun 24, 2016
pennstate:

In addition to what others have said here you can play with by taking a look at the Geophysics programs of these Universities:
University of Utah
Binghamton University
Boise State University
Michigan Technological University
University of Maine
University of Wyoming
University of Pittbourg
You can send all your queries to the grad coordinator to get first hand information.
Goodlock!
I have an MS and a BS in Geology!

Are you serious Pennstate? awesome stuff. which is your Alma mater out of these if i may ask?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 5:24am On Jun 24, 2016
JoshSW:

Are you serious Pennstate? awesome stuff. which is your Alma mater out of these if i may ask?
None!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by JoshSW: 6:43am On Jun 24, 2016
pennstate:
None!
lol where then!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by JoshSW: 6:57am On Jun 24, 2016
pennstate:
None!
lol where then!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pennstate(m): 7:22am On Jun 24, 2016
JoshSW:

lol where then!

Nigeria!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by wonderbaby10: 3:35pm On Jun 24, 2016
sirRiddy:
hi wonderbaby10,
you can send blank email to those addresses
danja provided on the first page.
Additionally, you can also get resources on the facebook group.
Practice here for free too: kaomanfen.com
Good luck
tanks a lot I will do just that.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by wonderbaby10: 3:37pm On Jun 24, 2016
tanks a lot I will do just that.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by temi4fash(m): 6:04pm On Jun 24, 2016
pennstate:

Nigeria!

Can you assist with Fire potection Engineering Schools

Thnaks in anticipation
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by battoyyeb(m): 5:10am On Jun 25, 2016
sirRiddy:
hi wonderbaby10,
you can send blank email to those addresses
danja provided on the first page.
Additionally, you can also get resources on the facebook group.
Practice here for free too: kaomanfen.com
Good luck
Kaomanfen.com us a Chinese site
How will I translate it to English
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 5:21am On Jun 25, 2016
hi battoyyeb,
Right click the page and do that.
battoyyeb:

Kaomanfen.com us a Chinese site
How will I translate it to English

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by officerlarry: 9:04pm On Jun 26, 2016
I will like to join the whatsapp group. My number is 08109634820
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by officerlarry: 9:10pm On Jun 26, 2016
I am really happy to have found this thread. I have always heard of the GRE exam but I have always been procrastinating about writing the exam but honestly I don't know where to start from. Please I really need help. I need a minimum of 150v and 150Q. Please I need you guys on this thread to help.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ekofisk(m): 1:41am On Jun 27, 2016
officerlarry:
I am really happy to have found this thread. I have always heard of the GRE exam but I have always been procrastinating about writing the exam but honestly I don't know where to start from. Please I really need help. I need a minimum of 150v and 150Q. Please I need you guys on this thread to help.

You'll get all you need here by digging through past posts.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Christian129(m): 9:07am On Jun 27, 2016
Tried booking a seat for The GRE but all seats are filled up. Please, what can I do?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by carik(m): 9:50am On Jun 27, 2016
sirRiddy:
hi battoyyeb,
Right click the page and do that.

I plan to write the GRE early next year whilst in my nysc period.
I have obtained my HND in Electrical Engineering with a 3.08/4 CGPA

,checked online to find out the duration of a post graduate program but stumbled on a post that says postgraduate study falls into three categories

1. Professional masters for employment after the program
2. Academic masters for further studies
3. Doctoral degree

Meanwhile a source told me I'll have to obtain a post graduate degree before applying for a master's program.
Don't understand the logic here
Can you help me out?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ibnchokomah(m): 12:04pm On Jun 27, 2016
hello. i wrote the GRE on the 17th with a score of 315. 160q and 155v. i had a devastating 3.5 in AW and want to pursue an environmental sciences msc program. i had a 4.25/5 in undergrad level and i am seriously contemplating rewriting the exam and would love an advice from anyone thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 1:20pm On Jun 27, 2016
ibnchokomah:
hello. i wrote the GRE on the 17th with a score of 315. 160q and 155v. i had a devastating 3.5 in AW and want to pursue an environmental sciences msc program. i had a 4.25/5 in undergrad level and i am seriously contemplating rewriting the exam and would love an advice from anyone thanks.

Good score but only Gre doesn't make a man... Lol... Research on schools that fits your profile, convert your GPA to 4.0.. Start contacting grad schools... Welcome to the Obama land race sir..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 1:25pm On Jun 27, 2016
Christian129:
Tried booking a seat for The GRE but all seats are filled up. Please, what can I do?

The race is not for the swift sir, but new date would come soon. You can try out those educational consults if you can't wait... Please us Google, because I won't provide one now and my oga would say it's a fraudulent company... Lol.. I joke too much... Sir just take everything step by step or see it as a chance to study more or go seek those consults they would give you one of their registered dates
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Christian129(m): 2:42pm On Jun 27, 2016
ponpon:

The race is not for the swift sir, but new date would come soon. You can try out those educational consults if you can't wait... Please us Google, because I won't provide one now and my oga would say it's a fraudulent company... Lol.. I joke too much... Sir just take everything step by step or see it as a chance to study more or go seek those consults they would give you one of their registered dates
thanks a lot Mr Pon2, thing is I really want to apply for spring and those "Consult" guys would milk me dry if I try them. I think I'd just chill
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by carik(m): 3:29pm On Jun 27, 2016
carik:

,checked online to find out the duration of a post graduate program but stumbled on a post that says postgraduate study falls into three categories

3. Doctoral degree

Meanwhile a source told me I'll have to obtain a post graduate degree before applying for a master's program.
Can you help me out?

Please can anyone explain this to me?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by femoalaofin: 7:18pm On Jun 27, 2016
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by olahim: 6:31am On Jun 30, 2016
i need someone to add me to the facebook group, my email: olahim23@yahoo.com.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dorcrown: 12:20pm On Jun 30, 2016
PLS add me to the whatsapp group: 07038818817.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Gratefulaheart: 4:13pm On Jun 30, 2016
donxab:

Done
Kindly add me 08034365036 Thanks and God bless.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2016
tensazangetsu:
Hey guys, am an undergraduate and am presently going to my final year I intend writing the GRE in august am on holidays now and have started preparing. I wanna do my masters as soon as I graduate and I wanna apply to MIT, umich, virginia tech and university of new orleans am thinking of doing a masters program in naval architecture. I wanna know if writing the GRE now is a good idea.

I need to ask: What informed your choice of those schools you picked?

If it's the prestige, then you might be missing the whole point of going for a (post)graduate degree.

They call it graduate school in the US.

Here's why.

"If you only want to go to a top graduate school, then you're going to graduate school for the wrong reason, and the chances of you getting in are low. You should go to graduate school, because you want to do research, and you don't need to go to a 'top' school for that."

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:11pm On Jun 30, 2016
carik:

3. Doctoral degree

Can you help me out?

Don't over complicate issues, bro. We call it postgraduate program here in Nigeria. They call it graduate program in the US.

I need to ask: Are you planning to apply with your HND?

Most schools require that you've a baccalaureate degree in your proposed course. That's equivalent of a Bachelor's degree.

But, don't take my word for it.

Look for your desired course, and Google any TWO schools offering the course at the graduate level.

Next, find out the contact email of the coordinator (there's always someone to contact, if prospective applicants have questions and inquiries).

Contact the individual for the two schools. Let your email be short, straight-to-the-point and brief.

AFAIK, schools offer a. M. Eng. b. MSc and c. PhD

M. Eng. pretty much applies to those who would want to come in from industry, for graduate study.

MSc is for preliminary research. Think of this as the NEUTRAL gear while driving. You go for MSc if you want to test the waters, if research is your pot of soup, or not.

PhD is the highest point of academic research - research zenith. You bring so many skills to bare here. Your creativity, perseverance, resilience and determination will go far than any other thing. Any other thing like your talent, GPA or GRE scores.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by carik(m): 7:14pm On Jun 30, 2016
happyday:

Don't over complicate issues, bro. We call it postgraduate program here in Nigeria. They call it graduate program in the US.

I need to ask: Are you planning to apply with your HND?

Most schools require that you've a baccalaureate degree in your proposed course. That's equivalent of a Bachelor's degree.

But, don't take my word for it.

Look for your desired course, and Google any TWO schools offering the course at the graduate level.

Next, find out the contact email of the coordinator (there's always someone to contact, if prospective applicants have questions and inquiries).

Contact the individual for the two schools. Let your email be short, straight-to-the-point and brief.

AFAIK, schools offer a. M. Eng. b. MSc and c. PhD

M. Eng. pretty much applies to those who would want to come in from industry, for graduate study.

MSc is for preliminary research. Think of this as the NEUTRAL gear while driving. You go for MSc if you want to test the waters, if research is your pot of soup, or not.

PhD is the highest point of academic research - research zenith. You bring so many skills to bare here. Your creativity, perseverance, resilience and determination will go far than any other thing. Any other thing like your talent, GPA or GRE scores.

Oops,finally someone responds
Thanks a lot brother
Yes,I want to apply with my HND
I'll mail the school's graduate co ordinator as you suggested for more enquiries.

(1) (2) (3) ... (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.