Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre (6708 Views)

Construction Diary: Building a Duplex on the Rocks. / Construction Diary Of A Block Of 6 Flats (2 Bedrooms) In Enugu / Construction Diary Of A Semi Detached Bungalow At Ikorodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 4:54pm On Jul 28, 2014
Welcome to my online blog.. I started this last month but the data tsunami wiped it off.

Thanks to Hajj Mufutau, sypder880, Fhemmmy, segcy_moor, brabus, gabbytabby and all other Oga's in the house.

Basic Info
Client- The Polytechnic, Ibadan.
Project: As stated above.
Completion period- 6months
Scope- Complete building + external works
Budget- Some millions
Contractor grin - Shidex Global Services Ltd

This is a TETFUND (federal government) project.
We have commissioned consultants on this project as seen in the first picture below.

Enough introduction already.. let's get down to work!

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by mufutau55(m): 5:51pm On Jul 28, 2014
Welcome back.. That online tsunami was a real disaster.

Hajji M.
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by Fhemmmy: 5:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
KolaShangOne: Welcome to my online blog.. I started this last month but the data tsunami wiped it off.

Thanks to Hajj Mufutau, sypder880, Fhemmmy, segcy_moor, brabus, gabbytabby and all other Oga's in the house.

Basic Info
Client- The Polytechnic, Ibadan.
Project: As stated above.
Completion period- 6months
Scope- Complete building + external works
Budget- Some millions
Contractor grin - Shidex Global Services Ltd

This is a TETFUND (federal government) project.
We have commissioned consultants on this project as seen in the first picture below.

Enough introduction already.. let's get down to work!

Followiing and surely know we will learn a lot . . . . great work
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by Fhemmmy: 5:56pm On Jul 28, 2014
I am sure the project must have started and all is going well at the site
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:33pm On Jul 28, 2014
Fhemmmy: I am sure the project must have started and all is going well at the site

Of course it has started.. the Tsunami erased it but i'll bring it up to date asap

3D photo below

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by Fhemmmy: 7:53pm On Jul 28, 2014
KolaShangOne:

Of course it has started.. the Tsunami erased it but i'll bring it up to date asap

Looking forward to that and may the Lord help u with the project

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:23am On Jul 30, 2014
The first problem is that we have 2 concrete poles situated right inside our work area..

We had to remove and relocate the poles outside the work area. Took 2days..

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 6:17am On Aug 01, 2014
Then we started setting out and profiling..

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by BRAINCRASH(m): 8:02am On Aug 01, 2014
I'm in class already.........waiting for you my lecturer.......

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 4:05pm On Aug 06, 2014
Sorry for the long absence. We proceeded by digging the trench. The depth is 1.2metres as recommended by the soil test investigation.

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by twinskenny(m): 8:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
following too
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:50pm On Aug 16, 2014
During the excavation to depth, we discovered an underground pipe leading to a manhole situated outside the work area. shocked

First challenge on this job. What would you do if you were faced with this challenge??

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 8:08am On Aug 31, 2014
Been a while here..my absence was because I had a small car crash on my way home. Someone just bashed me from behind. No b small thing o
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 8:11am On Aug 31, 2014
And then, my phone screen cracked, so I wasn't able to update this my diary.

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 5:27am On Sep 03, 2014
Without further ado, we traced the pipe and discovered it was a manhole but we weren't sure if it was a floor drain or manhole.

We concluded to break the pipe and make a diversion to a new manhole outside the plot.
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 6:21am On Sep 03, 2014
Even with sledge hammer, it took some hammering to break the pipe.

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by mufutau55(m): 12:59pm On Sep 03, 2014
KolaShangOne: Without further ado, we traced the pipe and discovered it was a manhole but we weren't sure if it was a floor drain or manhole. We concluded to break the pipe and make a diversion to a new manhole outside the plot.

Beautiful idea... just for future rest of mind.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by kopell: 2:18pm On Sep 03, 2014
Good job man, I believe this is the Procedure the government lay down on the paper if only things work the way they should. I have no idea, cost time it's take you to get those report. One thing am sure of, if it was in Lagos or Abuja it will take time that will force one to abandon the job. I hope one I wake up to Naija that will doing things the way it should be done always.

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 10:49am On Sep 05, 2014
mufutau55:

Beautiful idea... just for future rest of mind.

Hajji M.

Exactly. My plan for this building is that when I eventually become a grandpa, and any of my grand children attends the school, he/she can say 'that was what my grandpa built'. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 10:52am On Sep 05, 2014
kopell: Good job man, I believe this is the Procedure the government lay down on the paper if only things work the way they should. I have no idea, cost time it's take you to get those report. One thing am sure of, if it was in Lagos or Abuja it will take time that will force one to abandon the job. I hope one I wake up to Naija that will doing things the way it should be done always.

It's not easy my brother.
But Nigeria will work 100% eventually. Thanks for stopping by sir!
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 1:50pm On Sep 06, 2014
Evacuating the unwanted

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 2:04pm On Sep 06, 2014
Our blinding was done. Started n completed same day!

You can see how rich the concrete is, right mix of 1:2:4 was used (money speaking grin)

Blinding is 150mm thick. Width is 450mm

Column bases was done at 50mm thickness.

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by mufutau55(m): 12:26am On Sep 07, 2014
KolaShangOne:
Exactly. My plan for this building is that when I eventually become a grandpa, and any of my grand children attends the school, he/she can say 'that was what my grandpa built'. cheesy

Yes.. Legacy is awaiting all of us.. We shall reap whatever we sow. Your thinking is good but not with every Nigerians.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 5:53pm On Sep 07, 2014
mufutau55:

Yes.. Legacy is awaiting all of us.. We shall reap whatever we sow. Your thinking is good but not with every Nigerians.

Hajji M.

Yes there's posterity. But Hajji, the problem is not with Nigerians, it's with Nigeria and the way things work here. The poverty is just too much. The corruption too. So people cut corners.

In fact, during this project, we were accused of 'wastage' by client reps just because they don't want their own cut of the project reduced. It was difficult to stand my ground but I made sure I did.
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 6:28pm On Sep 07, 2014
21 column bases were excavated. Size is 3ft x 3ft.
12mm reinforcements used for mats at spacing of 3in inbetween bars.

Starter bars are 16mm thick. Rings are done on site with 10mm reinforcements. the iron bender works like a flash!

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by mufutau55(m): 7:33pm On Sep 07, 2014
KolaShangOne:

Yes there's posterity. But Hajji, the problem is not with Nigerians, it's with Nigeria and the way things work here. The poverty is just too much. The corruption too. So people cut corners.

In fact, during this project, we were accused of 'wastage' by client reps just because they don't want their own cut of the project reduced. It was difficult to stand my ground but I made sure I did.

Agreed 1000%. You said it like it is.. God help us.
I think we need our old National Anthem back.. "Nigeria we hail thee.."

Hajji M.
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 07, 2014
mufutau55:

Agreed 1000%. You said it like it is.. God help us.
I think we need our old National Anthem back.. "Nigeria we hail thee.."

Hajji M.

@ sir,mufutau55, can u please quote the old national anthem for me cos i really need to know the lyrics
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 11:18pm On Sep 07, 2014
I forgot to mention that we introduced 'panels' while making our foundation because of the relatively long span of the hall without any supporting walls underneath. So we divided the main hall into four (4) criss-crossing at right angles meeting at the centre of the main hall.
Sadly the pictures cannot show it very well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by mufutau55(m): 12:18am On Sep 08, 2014
segzy14:
@ sir,mufutau55, can u please quote the old national anthem for me cos i really need to know the lyrics

Check your email Inbox for all the info you needed on the Nigeria National Anthem of 1960-1978.

Hajji Mufutau

1 Like

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by Onuokwu: 8:51am On Sep 08, 2014
KolaShangOne: I forgot to mention that we introduced 'panels' while making our foundation because of the relatively long span of the hall without any supporting walls underneath. So we divided the main hall into four (4) criss-crossing at right angles meeting at the centre of the main hall.
Sadly the pictures cannot show it very well.

Thanks for your professionalism although truly i do not understand what a panel means and its overall impact on the foundation. My question however is "why did the architect not think of this?" Can you place absolute reliance on his work or will you make future adjustments as you go along? Are these types of amendments to the plan on paper normal and widespread?

Just 3 questions i will like answered for learning purposes.
Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by KolaShangOne(m): 7:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
Onuokwu:

Thanks for your professionalism although truly i do not understand what a panel means and its overall impact on the foundation. My question however is "why did the architect not think of this?" Can you place absolute reliance on his work or will you make future adjustments as you go along? Are these types of amendments to the plan on paper normal and widespread?

Just 3 questions i will like answered for learning purposes.

Thanks for asking sir! Forgive me for not replying since. I want to get the floor plan from the office to make the explanation clearer but malaria don tie me down for 2days now @ home.

The mosquitoes n insects from a new site inside the bush have been responsible.

Re: Construction Diary: 100-seater Lecture Theatre by smallsmall: 5:16am On Sep 16, 2014
Following attentively! small-small sha!! undecided undecided kiss kiss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sevice Plots For Sale At Golden Heritage Estate MOWE TOWN For#900k / Estate Houses For Sale In Abuja!!!!! / FIVE OAKS RESIDENCES ELEKO JUST 2 MINUTES TO AMEN ESTATE PHASE 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.