Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Tell Me More About Data Use In Nigeria - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Tell Me More About Data Use In Nigeria (539 Views)

See How Etisalat Now Inform You About Data Usage, Plan And Store / Full Meaning Of Some Common Slang's Use In Chatting / Let's Correct This Impression About "Data" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tell Me More About Data Use In Nigeria by Mxitnigeria: 9:03am On Jul 29, 2014
Hey everybody!

I want to know more about mobile data use in Nigeria! I'm running some great promotions at the moment, but have received a lot of negative feedback regarding data usage. Basically it comes down to me offering people free music and content and then receiving abuse because of the cost of data. So I was hoping you all would be willing to help by telling me:

How much do you pay per mb while using your mobile phone and on which network?

Thanks! cheesy
Re: Tell Me More About Data Use In Nigeria by ITbomb(m): 9:45am On Jul 29, 2014
If your promotion platform is a full multimedia, graphics loaded website then you are on a long thing.

Any page that doesn't load fully in less than 30 secs in Nigeria crappy network is close immediately,

And to imagine that some people go to the extent of disabling images loading, if you had no alternate text, your visitors would have better luck with braille.

1 Like

Re: Tell Me More About Data Use In Nigeria by Mxitnigeria: 10:10am On Jul 29, 2014
ITbomb: If your promotion platform is a full multimedia, graphics loaded website then you are on a long thing.

Any page that doesn't load fully in less than 30 secs in Nigeria crappy network is close immediately,

And to imagine that some people go to the extent of disabling images loading, if you had no alternate text, your visitors would have better luck with braille.

Okay, that's quite helpful. We're a mostly text-based social network that's meant to run on super slow networks, so the app itself is ideal. I guess it's just any extra content and downloads that are not really welcome.
Re: Tell Me More About Data Use In Nigeria by Chikebrain: 10:54am On Jul 29, 2014
Mxitnigeria:

Okay, that's quite helpful. We're a mostly text-based social network that's meant to run on super slow networks, so the app itself is ideal. I guess it's just any extra content and downloads that are not really welcome.
When most download files are large most Nigerians tends to drift away even if it's free. Internet data here in Nigeria doesn't come cheap. I'll advise that you downgrade your quality a bit to reduce download size.
Re: Tell Me More About Data Use In Nigeria by Mxitnigeria: 11:07am On Jul 29, 2014
Chikebrain:
When most download files are large most Nigerians tends to drift away even if it's free. Internet data here in Nigeria doesn't come cheap. I'll advise that you downgrade your quality a bit to reduce download size.

Do you think that there's a certain threshold in size that will put people off? For instance, would 2mb be acceptable and 3mb too much? That might explain some of my current results.
Re: Tell Me More About Data Use In Nigeria by Chikebrain: 11:43am On Jul 29, 2014
Mxitnigeria:

Do you think that there's a certain threshold in size that will put people off? For instance, would 2mb be acceptable and 3mb too much? That might explain some of my current results.
If download sizes are within that range, i think its favorable to "downloaders" depending on your content. Nevetheless, your hosting server bandwidth also comes into place. Putting myself into the "downloaders" shoes using a crappy network running at EDGE, if i try downloading a 2MB or 3MB file and it takes less than 2Minute, i'll be discouraged.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Take Your Device Screenshot / HTC One Specifications, Features And Price / I Don't Know How To Post Pictures On Nairaland. Please help.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.