Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,110 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much (10808 Views)

20 Signs You’re A Creative Person. / Hey Dudes! Check This Out / Hey 3d Guys: Ur Comparisions Between 3dmax And Maya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by erad(m): 1:02pm On Jul 29, 2014

Have you ever considered the fact that you might be thinking TOO much when it comes to building your business?

You spend weeks and months (maybe even years) trying to figure out which email software to use, which color to make your call-to-action button, or whether to build your portfolio on WordPress or Squarespace.

You fret over details like how much you should charge your first client, what your site’s color scheme should be, and what time of year you should “launch” your next offer or product.

Should you charge by the hour or by the project? Should you require a down payment?

Should you use Creative Market? Or Envato? Or just do your own thing with Paypal? or is it Selz? or Gumroad?

[size=14pt]The decisions are endless.[/size]

And if you waste all of your time “thinking” about the little details that make up a business, you may miss the bigger picture.

At the end of the day, every moment you spend tweaking font-size on your site is a moment you’re not doing the REAL WORK that it takes to run a business. (Unless you’re in the business of tweaking font-size on your own site.)

Every minute you spend listening to a podcast, reading a blog post, or watching a video that may help you grow your business is time taken away from ACTUALLY growing your business.

[size=14pt]I fell for this myself recently[/size]

I’ve been working a lot on a huge rebrand of GraphicDesignBlender.com. Not only am I redesigning the web site (details to come soon), but I’m rethinking the entire business model, upping our content focus, and even highly considering a name change for the site and brand.

And GraphicDesignBlender.com has recently suffered because of it.

Traffic is down. Revenue is down. But most disturbingly, I’ve been less active with GDB readers on social media and been less responsive to email than I would like to be.

It’s not the end of the world, but it reminded me of the best blogging advice I ever received.

It came from designer extraordinaire David Airey (who we interviewed at Stoked, by the way) and went something like this (totally paraphrasing here):

Stop worrying so much about how perfect your blog design is and start providing quality content to your readers.

See, the real work of blogging isn’t about line-height, padding, or margins. And the real work of your business isn’t about wordpress vs. squarespace or anything like that.

[size=14pt]So what is the “real work”?[/size]

So what’s this “real work” I keep referring to?

It’s got two parts:

1. It’s what your customers/clients expect from you.
2. It’s what brings in the money.

Like these:

The real work of running a blog? (1)Writing blog posts and (2)monetizing with ads or products.
The real work of freelancing? (1)Designing something amazing and (2)charging your client for it.
Take a minute and think through your business. Are you (1)creating something that people are expecting from you and then (2)turning that creation into money for your business?

If you’re spending more time redesigning, tweaking your business plan, or adjusting your facebook marketing, you’re not doing the “real work.”

[size=14pt]It probably feels like real work. But it’s not.[/size]

It’s keeping you from doing the work that will really help you propel your business forward. And it’s time to put that all aside and dig in for a little while. See what it’s like to design thirty web sites, create 100 logos, write 50 blog posts, or craft a dozen taglines.

In that moment (and in that moment only) do you realize what it means to do the work that fuels your business. And once you’ve gone through the effort to actually do the work your business requires, you’ll find that the rest of it all comes much more easily.

Think about it. … or, you know, don’t.

Source:http://www.graphicdesignblender.com/hey-entrepreneurs-youre-thinking-too-much

7 Likes

Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Ajibel(m): 1:44pm On Jul 29, 2014
Thinking is one of my hobbies.

4 Likes

Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by ayusco85(m): 1:44pm On Jul 29, 2014
@OP. I ve been thinking too much too o. Been having this business idea I wanted to bring to fruition, but am finding it hard to make a decision concerning the little details. So I just decided to be a garri seller, like ma Alobam "Dbanj". Mine comes with some oda accessories that accompanies garri. Check out my business idea, I no try?

35 Likes

Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by suwailad(f): 1:46pm On Jul 29, 2014
Thanks.i needed that. Ive always been thinking how great my biz idea is,no implementation, while my hairs are growing white
ayusco85: ......
macpetrus: .......
stop keeping space.
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Ajibel(m): 1:47pm On Jul 29, 2014
I think before I do anything - bath, sleep, talk, code, study, eat and also before I think etc...

2 Likes

Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by sCross: 1:47pm On Jul 29, 2014
always think MVP; Minimum Viable Product
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by igbsam(m): 1:47pm On Jul 29, 2014
Every Normal Human being should think before doing anything.

Last Shot: Thinking is allowed
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Ajibel(m): 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
What is worth doing is what doing well so I think out those finest & little details before considering my work done. It may take me months buh it is worth it.
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by obeenah40(m): 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
If you dont think, you stink!!!
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by glosali(f): 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
Thinking is rampant www.glowysofiscated..com everywhr..therez no how one wont fink
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Ajibel(m): 1:51pm On Jul 29, 2014
Maybe if you dont wanna think, be amidst people or with someone always. They'd help you think while you focus on the big issues...

1 Like

Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Ajibel(m): 1:53pm On Jul 29, 2014
Remember to also jot down whatever you think of. It may not make sense nau, buh later it will...

1 Like

Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Alexgeneration(m): 1:55pm On Jul 29, 2014
I'm I really thinking too much?
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 29, 2014
I was here...cry
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 29, 2014
Thinking is good o

especially positive one

1 Like

Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by hizaya61(m): 2:00pm On Jul 29, 2014
I think less cos I have plan ahead
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:01pm On Jul 29, 2014
Ajibel: Thinking is one of my hobbies.
I think we can think, be creative.
The only problem is spending so much time thinking.
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by latinojives(m): 2:05pm On Jul 29, 2014
DUDE!! I just love you right now!! Totally on point! grin
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Orikinla(m): 2:05pm On Jul 29, 2014
When you are a genius in the midst of idi-ots, you will think too much, because you are also thinking for them too since most of them are clueless.

4 Likes

Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Ajibel(m): 2:06pm On Jul 29, 2014
OkikiOluwa1:
I think we can think, be creative.
The only problem is spending so much time thinking.

I agree a bit buh it is whenever Im idle that I think, jot down the necessary thoughts that came up and then when Im ready, go back to what Im doing...

Buh lemme point out that most times when we believe we are thinking a lot, we are actually fantasizing, not thinking.

3 Likes

Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by jahbiz: 2:10pm On Jul 29, 2014
Op, hope you have paid for this advert of yours?
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by rutibaby(f): 2:12pm On Jul 29, 2014
Thinking of schooling and marriage. I guess I'm not thinking too much.
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by erad(m): 2:13pm On Jul 29, 2014
jahbiz: Op, hope you have paid for this advert of yours?

Where's the advert?
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by ayusco85(m): 2:14pm On Jul 29, 2014
Mods and super mods. Hiding posts since 1800
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Opiosko: 2:17pm On Jul 29, 2014
Thread to rip off newbies nd cronic procastinators. Op gudluck with ya........ Exist thread!
Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by edo70: 2:17pm On Jul 29, 2014
eveeyone needs 2 think out a biz.not to b dependent on govt.

1 Like

Re: Hey Entrepreneurs: You’re Thinking Too Much by Opiosko: 2:22pm On Jul 29, 2014
erad:

Where's the advert?
Oga are u a learner? Send d op a pm for more info nd get d price of d ebook.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Finally, Wacom Interactive Pen Displays, Pen Tablets Are Here In Nigeria! / How To Grow Your Income As A Graphic Designer In Nigeria / Logo Design Contest Best Design Gets 100 Dollars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.