Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,968 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:58 AM

Can The Use Of Depo Provera Make A Woman Barren? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can The Use Of Depo Provera Make A Woman Barren? (2152 Views)

23yr Old Barren Woman Steals 5-yr-old Boy In Rivers (photo) / Barren Woman Gives Birth To 17 Babies In 29 Hours(photos).. / Husband Allegedly Poisons Wife For Being Barren (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can The Use Of Depo Provera Make A Woman Barren? by IcecoldDon: 6:31pm On Jul 29, 2014
friend of mine who is getting married next year told
me that she is getting contradictions on the use of
depo provera as a contraceptive. She said a doctor told
her it was fine...but some nurses scared her that the
side effects would be that she wouldn't ever get
pregnant.

So in essence,to all doctors out there, Please...is it
medically fine or ok for a lady who hasn't had kids to
take it without any bad side effects.

p.s she doesn't want to constantly be using postinor as
she heard that the depo provera lasts for 3 months.

please please please no bashing,just friendly feedback will be highly appreciated.
Re: Can The Use Of Depo Provera Make A Woman Barren? by OmoAlata1(f): 8:15pm On Jul 29, 2014
IcecoldDon: friend of mine who is getting married next year told
me that she is getting contradictions on the use of
depo provera as a contraceptive. She said a doctor told
her it was fine...but some nurses scared her that the
side effects would be that she wouldn't ever get
pregnant.

So in essence,to all doctors out there, Please...is it
medically fine or ok for a lady who hasn't had kids to
take it without any bad side effects.

p.s she doesn't want to constantly be using postinor as
she heard that the depo provera lasts for 3 months.

please please please no bashing,just friendly feedback will be highly appreciated.

I will leave depo alone. It makes you ridiculously fat. it can also cause osteoporosis in the future. there are plenty of other methods out there. I am scared of depo and the patch
Re: Can The Use Of Depo Provera Make A Woman Barren? by IcecoldDon: 8:31pm On Jul 29, 2014
Kk, so what other means are those you are referring to cos she told me that she is about moving in with her fiance so constant use of postinor is not advisable and she is scared of IUD implantations according to funny stories she said she had heard.

Also as they are both not fans of condoms....
Re: Can The Use Of Depo Provera Make A Woman Barren? by eleojo23: 8:51pm On Jul 29, 2014
According to a health article on the New York Times website, Depo-Provera is very effective in preventing pregnancies. About 3 in 100 women who use it become pregnant. Because of the long lag time between ending treatments and restoration of fertility, Depo-Provera is not recommended for women who are thinking of becoming pregnant within 2 years. Most users of Depo-Provera stop menstruating altogether after a year. Depo can cause persistent infertility for up to 22 months after the last injection, although the average is 10 months.

Long-term (more than 2 years) use of Depo-Provera can cause loss of bone density. Depo-Provera’s label warns that the decline in bone density increases with duration of use and may not be completely reversible even after the drug is discontinued. It is recommended that Depo-Provera should not be used for longer than 2 years unless other birth control methods are inadequate.

NB: She still needs to see a doctor for proper advice.

1 Like

Re: Can The Use Of Depo Provera Make A Woman Barren? by Caracta(f): 12:13am On Jul 30, 2014
Whatever happened to abstinence or condoms.

All these "a friend of mine" stories sef sad

3 Likes

Re: Can The Use Of Depo Provera Make A Woman Barren? by aolatunde00: 1:15am On Jul 30, 2014
Madam go and get an iud or use everyday pills.depo provera isn't encouraged for women who still want to have babies.
No take your fertility play.
No need talking about abstinence cos I know that won't apply to you
Re: Can The Use Of Depo Provera Make A Woman Barren? by okirewaju(f): 9:47pm On Jul 31, 2014
Avoid using it for the now to avoid stories that touch, calculate your ovulation peak and stay off sex then or both of them should try to use condom till after the marriage. I heard apart from the regular condoms, there are others that can spice up the do
Re: Can The Use Of Depo Provera Make A Woman Barren? by beeevan: 10:33am On Aug 01, 2014
Why is she moving in? Why not wait for the marriage first? Use condoms or Cervical cap.

(1) (Reply)

Issues Teenagers’ Face Today By Peter Ufuoma Ibeh / Diary of my Crack Cocaine Addiction /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.