Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity (10556 Views)

American Woman Accuses Reno Omokri Of Identity Theft / The Genesis Of The Crisis Of Terrorism In Nigeria / Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by bilms(m): 11:57am On Jul 30, 2014
Ilorin, the city wrapped in a crisis of identity

Date: 2013-06-30

By Femi Owolabi and Akeem Adio

The clan of Ayeigun's compound of Itakure in Ilorin - where my Ilorinship is rooted - believes its members are descendants of the warrior, Afonja. Folks from the opposite compound believe they are descendant of the Islamic cleric and warrior, Sheik Alimi.

The Aiyeguns argue that it is a distortion of history to say that Ilorin is considered to be one of the Banza Bakwai, or copy-cats of the Hausa Kingdoms. This clan claims that at the start of the 19th century, Ilorin was a border town in the northeast of the Oyo Empire, (this, of course, is today geographically obvious) with a mainly Yoruba population but with many Hausa-Fulani immigrants or slaves. It was the headquarters of an Oyo General, Afonja.

Anthropologists have generally attributed the formation of personality to a complex interaction between an individual's generic inheritance and his life experiences. Community integration and the growth of mutually meaningful identities are created out of the idiosyncrasies of the numerous individuals of that community.

Today, Kadir my friend would say God forbids he's Yoruba. He's proudly Fulani. Amuda, my other friend would say it is over his dead body that he would be a Hausa/Fulani. And both friends share the same Ilorin origin.

On this identity wahala; we recall that in the mid 90s when the reigning Emir of Ilorin was crowned - or turbaned - he asked that Kolapo, a Yoruba name be removed from the line-up of his name. From records, Afonja had been the only ruler with the full Yoruba identity. He was 'Oba' Afonja. Names not identified with Yoruba continue to predominate the rulership after Afonja's assassination.

From; Abdusalami dan Salih Alimi, Shita dan Salih Alimi, Zubayro dan Abdusalami, Shita Aliyu dan Shita, Moma dan Zubayru, Sulaymanu dan Aliyu, Shuaybu Bawa dan Zubayru, Abd al-Qadiri dan Shuaybu, Zulkarnayni Gambari dan Muhammadu Laofe "Aiyelabowo V", Malam dan Abd al-Qadiri, and to the present Ibrahim Kolapo dan Gambari, only Zulkarnayni maintained a Yoruba name, 'Laofe, Aiyelabowo'. Ibrahim erased his.

For years, I have been trying to understand the bane of the identity crisis with people from Ilorin. And today, the socio-cultural critic and my guest columnist, Akeem Addio, leads us into a fresh perspective on this lingering debate.

Mentioning the name Ilorin, majority of people interested in socio-political or cultural issues will take their precious time hearing more in addition or subtraction to what they already hold in view of the city. However, there are some interesting parts in the history of Ilorin and its people; the cultural mix-up, political monorailed (Sarakism), foreign indigenous polity, religion (Islam) which has been the distinct trademark of the city in the country especially in the Yoruba speaking populace of Nigeria.

The truth of the matter is that Ilorin is naturally a Yoruba speaking settlement. The fact is that Afonja, once a Generalissimo, Aree Ona Kankafo of old Oyo Empire was the first ruler or Lord of Ilorin being the second in command to Alaafin, the great Emperor of Oyo Empire which was located somewhere around Bacita, Kwara Sate. Ilorin was his place of birth; he did not found Ilorin by himself, he was a citizen even by birth. His great grandfather, Laderin who was a popular elephant hunter from Oyo�Ile first settled in Ilorin alongside other Yorubas like Ojo Sekuse and Emila.

The name Ilorin was coined from WHETSTONE used by hunters and farmers then. Another version of the etymology of Ilorin is the Land of Elephants (Ilu Erin) which was later metamorphosed to Ilorin from ILU-ERIN. Perhaps, there are some historical remnants of this story still remaining. At present, there is a neighbourhood in the city called OKO ERIN meaning Elephant Forest. This was where the popular elephant hunter, Laderin used to stay in his hunting adventure. Even the name Laderin was elephantine coinage (a panegyric coined from elephant) to refer to his personage.�Alugbin�was Laderin's�son who begat�Pasin�and�Afonja�was Pasin's son.

Studying the genealogy meticulously one would find out that Afonja was a fourth generation in the lineage from whom Ilorin historically became relevant in the Yoruba History.

Afonja became a warrior like his father, Pasin. Pasin met his untimely death following the row between him and the then Alaafin who insisted that Pasin should return to Oyo having committed political crime against the authority of the empire. Therefore, Bashorun Gaa (Oyo Interior Minister) was ordered to arrest him dead or alive. Although Pasin was a brave man, he was mowed down by the army of Oyo militants.

Afonja later became one of the most formidable warlords of Oyo Empire through ambition or determination. With this drive, he extended the glory of the entire empire that spread across four West African countries today; Nigeria, Benin, Togo and Ghana. Afonja ultimately grew stronger even than the authority of the emperor. He afterward decided to create his own kingdom in his Ilorin home where he would be overseeing the affairs of the empire. This was probably around late 18th�century. With seemingly uncontrollable obsession, political conspiracy ensued. This was practically, the beginning of the flaws of the hero that led to fall of Ilorin to the hand of the slave warriors � Fulani warriors who were harboured by the great warrior, Afonja as ally in fighting or incapacitating the sanction or dominion of Alaafin.

Afonja was power-drunk and started scolding his warrior kinsmen in favour of his friend, Alfa Soliu Janta's jihadist army. Ironically, he never knew he was drawing his end through his political power infatuation. So he continued falling to the seductive bait plotted by his visitors who later not only ousted him from his home but also murdered him.

The great warlord was killed in a schemed riot in the city by the Fulani loyalists of Sheik Alimi's son, Abdulsalam who was also hypnotized by political power but under the guise of religious holy war. By this time, the General had grown aged but energetic and never thought of any internal coup that could ever bring an end to his throne. This was how it cropped up: the General eventually realized his past mistakes against his kinsmen while wrestling with the Alaafin and turned his gracious face to the Fulani warriors led by Alfa Soliu Janta aka Sheik Alimi. The Fulani had gained ground at the expense of the citizens. They were living a life of indulgence. Therefore, the General wanted to halt their indulgence by secretly sending war invitation to some Yoruba states like Ikoyi, Ogbomoso among others to invade Ilorin and disperse the Fulanis who had choked the people by their recklessness. Unfortunately, the opposition got hold of the secret and plotted against him secretly. The general was ambushed and killed. They killed their benefactor to protect themselves and promote their political ambition rather than religious propagation in the foreign land.

Therefore, Abdulsalam became the first Fulani ruler or Lord of Ilorin after Oba Afonja's demise. However, the Fulanis won the war against Afonja amidst Yoruba internal disintegrations. For instance Alaafin was in conspiracy against Afonja because he was a major threat to the authority of the empire under the control of Alaafin. So Alaafin used an enemy to fight an enemy.

Consequently, Ilorin became a colony of Sokoto Caliphate in the early 19th�century immediately after the death of the first lord of the city. However, what lost was political power not a pinch of Yoruba indigenous cultural power. The Yoruba government was overtaken by the Fulani radical jihadists as a result of Afonja's political flaws but the way of life of the Yorubas in the city remained the same like others e.g. language, tribal marks, music, beat, dress, greetings, dance except the traditional religions which were discarded for modern religion of Islamic monotheism.� Even the visitors who by nature have become naturalized (Yorubanized). Fulanis, Hausas, Nupes, Ibaribas, Kanuris and Malians are now Yorubas by the law of naturalization. This transpires anywhere contact is made. Imagine how German tribes of Vandal, Anglo and Saxon became English in United Kingdom today.

As in every mixed society, Yoruba of Ilorin as a language has blended with some flavours of allied origins like 'Fa` (morpheme) which was of Fulani extraction among others. This has given Ilorin a neo linguistics distinction from its original parent dialect; Oyo Dialect of Yoruba Language.

Thus, the issue of identity crisis in Ilorin is more historic than natural. The land is Yoruba as its aboriginal settlers were also Yorubas. Therefore, the majority of the people of the city are Yoruba descents who have submitted to Allah in the religion of Islam as preached by the prophet Mohammed (SAW). Cutting to the chase, Ilorin is a Yoruba state imprisoned by the Fulani oligarchic imperialism of Sokoto Caliphate or Gwandu Emirate. Therefore, Yorubas still maintain their cultural identities. Even, Islam as a religion is popularly propagated by the Yoruba stocks of the city e.g. Sheik Taju L-Adabby, Sheik Kamaldeen, Sheilk Adam Al-Ilori, Sheik� Folorunsho Faagba, Sheik Baba Oniwiridi of Ita Egaba, Sheik Sulyman Onikijipa, Sheik Buhari Omo Musa just to mention but a few.

In conclusion, Ilorin is Yoruba land naturally which harbours visitors like other Yoruba settlements as hosts who have become yorubanized by language and some other cultural ideology garnished by Islamic faith making it a land of distinction especially in Yoruba world in all area of endeavours relating to knowledge.�

Akeem Addio is a Socio-Cultural and Political Critic, from Ilorin.
- See more at: http://www.ilorin.info/fullnews.php?id=5071#sthash.e0jTu4rb.dpuf

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 30, 2014
What can I say

Afonja was a Muntullar who had no foresight. People now use him as an example/warning, you want Afonja's treatment abi? The dude would reply NOOO Ooooooooooo.

God go helep dem solve the wahala ooooo cos I don't see the Yoruba Afonja clan reclaiming the stool except miracle. Slaves are now kings no thanks to that dindinrin called Afonja.

E no konsain me jareyyy, am busy here working on bills.

God Bless General Ogedengbe and General Fabunmi Okemesi of blessed memory.

Cheers.

9 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by KOBOJO: 12:18pm On Jul 30, 2014
The way and manner the Fulanis conquered kwara state is what beats my imagination till date !!

Fulanis enthroned an Emir and a reigning oba was deposed and banished from his kingdom yet his *ubjects and people (yorubas) didn't even cough.

The situation isnt better in 2014 as same people are still political salves to fulanis !!

6 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Energito11: 12:28pm On Jul 30, 2014
Llorin belong to fulanis not yrooubas.

4 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by dozzzybaba: 12:31pm On Jul 30, 2014
KOBOJO: The way and manner the Fulanis conquered kwara state
1diot

There was nothing like Kwara state in circa 1817 when Afonja rebeled against Alaafin Aole

5 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Wily2wily: 12:33pm On Jul 30, 2014
na wa ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Yorubas
Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:34pm On Jul 30, 2014
interesting.
Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Energito11: 12:36pm On Jul 30, 2014
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaahahahhahahahahhaahahahhahahahahahhahahahaa
Wily2wily: na wa ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Yorubas
Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Ahuitzotl: 12:38pm On Jul 30, 2014
Illorin belongs to the Caliphate and it is an historical symbol of the master and slave relationship between the Fulanis and yororbas spiritually,militarily and politically to this day....full stop.

13 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Wily2wily: 12:39pm On Jul 30, 2014
Energito11: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaahahahhahahahahhaahahahhahahahahahhahahahaa
I know know de gods dat created dem,
Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 30, 2014
dozzzybaba: 1diot
There was nothing like Kwara state in circa 1817 when Afonja rebeled against Alaafin Aole

You will need to physically remove some brains and implant another one before some of them can think properly.

1 Like

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by dozzzybaba: 12:53pm On Jul 30, 2014
Konmight:
God Bless General Ogedengbe and General Fabunmi Okemesi of blessed memory.
SARAIBI OGEDENGBE AGBOGUNGBORO

9 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by bilms(m): 1:02pm On Jul 30, 2014
hum
Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 30, 2014
dozzzybaba: SARAIBI OGEDENGBE AGBOGUNGBORO

I just like the dude and my Ijesha clan.

We resisted Oyos for years. Even though Oyo eventually captured Ijeshaland and ruled us for some years, Ijeshas later teamed up with Ekitis to liberate themselves from the murdarfuckarz.

So, what do Oyos have to show for their years of conquests apart from losing Ilorin to the Fulanis due their own stepeeditiesss.

One of the reasons why I really don't like Oyos.

We are all equal before almighty God.

We are all Yorubas.

Why would you leave Oyoland to come and fight and conquer my people then make us your subject/slave when we are all Yorubas?

I think the Oyos got served. Yes, Eledumare punished them by through Sheikh wanene.

God punish devil.

I Rep Ijesha for Life. We don't take shiiit from any murdarfuckarz, we will face you and send you to hell fire.

Proudly Ijesha, I simply love my people. We'd rather die there than to be cheated/colonised by a motherfuckerz. We'll resist you till we cut your blockos and liberate ourselves. No murdarfuckars can mess with Ijesha(abi you wan die niiiii?).

Oyo Empire/Umpire or whatever unna call unnaself in Oyoland, what do you people have to show for years of waging war with your fellow Yorubas now?

Too badt for unna.

See unna life outside.

Shiorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

2 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by haitto99(m): 1:26pm On Jul 30, 2014
Looking at ilorin as a city,majority of its population speak yourba,the street names are majorly yoruba,although am from ondo but working in ilorin,I can fully say it that the yoruba influence in the town is thrice that of the fulanis.....its just a case of what happened in south africa,a minority ruling the majority

6 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by mencade5(m): 1:33pm On Jul 30, 2014
fulani settled on yoruba land and became their leader.

12 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by iamodenigbo1(m): 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2014
CAPITAL ARU

2 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Noneroone(m): 2:02pm On Jul 30, 2014
When back stabber jam back stabber, the weaker one will bow.

10 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by GuyFawkes: 2:04pm On Jul 30, 2014
KOBOJO: The way and manner the Fulanis conquered kwara state is what beats my imagination till date !!

Fulanis enthroned an Emir and a reigning oba was deposed and banished from his kingdom yet his *ubjects and people (yorubas) didn't even cough.

The situation isnt better in 2014 as same people are still political salves to fulanis !!

And who was the reigning oba that was deposed if I may ask?

1 Like

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by haitto99(m): 2:10pm On Jul 30, 2014
Energito11: Llorin belong to fulanis not yrooubas.
you be real igbo goat(ewu)

4 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by GuyFawkes: 2:12pm On Jul 30, 2014
haitto99: Looking at ilorin as a city,majority of its population speak yourba,the street names are majorly yoruba,although am from ondo but working in ilorin,I can fully say it that the yoruba influence in the town is thrice that of the fulanis.....its just a case of what happened in south africa,a minority ruling the majority

Does the emir of Ilorin "Rule" ? Or does any traditional ruler in Nigeria today actually rule over the people?like many modern day monarchies they are all ceremonial tools and vestiges of a bygone era.Last time I checked they can be sacked by the governor of the state of which ilorin falls under Kwara.

1 Like

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by tpia1: 2:26pm On Jul 30, 2014
Some of the ilorin fulanis are " oyo fulanis".

They are highly skilled yoruba speakers.

2 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by KOBOJO: 2:33pm On Jul 30, 2014
dozzzybaba: 1diot

Omo ale jati jati !!
Isn't it high time you stopped this your incessant ranting and go recover your *LOST THRONE*

You are typical coward ngbatti, so i know you wouldnt dare even if your worthless life depends on it.

You ve all sold your destiny and that of your generations to come to the fulanis.,reason you shall all remain in captivity.

7 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by manck: 2:38pm On Jul 30, 2014
[size=28pt]fake story of ilorin, Ilorin was never capture by fulani.

100 years old church in ilorin rebuild, Ecwa church is about 100 years old.. Anglical , methodist church, baptist church in ilorin are all over 100 -150 years old.

Abia state..... fulani people claiming they are abia citizen.

The river niger is too big, How can fulani cross a big river with 10,000 horse with NO BRIDGE. fake story
Can magical 10,000 horse walk this river Niger

[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Blackfire(m): 2:58pm On Jul 30, 2014
i can see the igbos laughing and shaking there head *na wa00

3 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Adelaide2: 3:05pm On Jul 30, 2014
^^^^
If Fulani can do it, Igbos can do it too. After all, Yoruba land is for the taking. Hehehehe!!!! Runs for cover

6 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by rash47(m): 3:07pm On Jul 30, 2014
Op, subhuha robikka yati amo....... You should get me. Ati gba kamu ni ilorin

1 Like

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Edmanpumpin(m): 3:07pm On Jul 30, 2014
That name Afonja is today synonymous with Ahmed tinubu. Surely, the day will come when the silly rag wrapped on the fulani called emir will be burn't and some afonja descendant will be crowned an Oba as Onilorin of Ilorin. Till then, ilorins should endure the slave turned kings who decieved you with a foriegn religion named islam which you forgo for you indegenous gods. E nle fa!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Ziluxga(m): 3:19pm On Jul 30, 2014
haitto99: you be real igbo goat(ewu)
Out of shame on how u people's cowardice and timidity have gone global, u still managed to find ur voice. You are a true son of Oduduwa.

9 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Ziluxga(m): 3:24pm On Jul 30, 2014
tpia1: Some of the ilorin fulanis are " oyo fulanis".

They are highly skilled yoruba speakers.
So By implication they are now yorubas. Beautiful!

2 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by 0rlando0woh: 3:28pm On Jul 30, 2014
The cowards will avoid this thread like a plague.
ilorin could have been one of the biggest Yoruba cities, such a shame!

5 Likes

Re: Ilorin, The City Wrapped In A Crisis Of Identity by Ziluxga(m): 3:31pm On Jul 30, 2014
Blackfire: i can see the igbos laughing and shaking there head *na wa00
Yes when a foolish tribe think they are wise, sitting on the fence all the time trying to catch in on other people's blunder to perpetually enrich themselves, it's always good u laugh at their stupidity, Because fence sitting is not wisdom but cowardice.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Igbo And Yoruba Collaboration Can Change Nigeria, If They Bury The Hatchet. / Borno Govt Gave Kidnapped Chibok Parents 100,000 Naira Each / BREAKING: An Igbo Man Wins Again As The President Of Gabon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.