Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,810 members, 7,806,273 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga (39108 Views)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Feminism Redefined By Emma Watson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by sleekman(m): 8:48am On Jul 31, 2014
I love this woman. Baby I love you. Will you marry me I love this woman. Baby I love you. Will you marry me I love this woman. Baby I love you. Will you marry me

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by remsonik(f): 8:51am On Jul 31, 2014
I hate reading hate post, obviously the writer of this article hates chimamanda so much. He can't give a balanced view of feminism in nigeria while staying in finland.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by LogansShadow: 8:52am On Jul 31, 2014
Mahn,I just wonder what feminist are supposedly doing in Nigeria.If there is anyplace Feminist like Adichie should make their target it should be places like the Middle east and Asia.
I just get irritated any time this feminist start with their usual slogan of "The average nigerian girl is maltreated","The average nigerian girl does not have access to School", "The average nigerian girl will not get a job. She's equally qualified for and another person will get the job just coz he's Male"
Just like the writer said such quotes are mentioned,I always wonder if it is the same Nigeria I'm in these Feminist are actually referring to.For crying out loud,check all the Nigerian universities and you would found out that the ratio of boys to girls are VERY equally balanced.Personally in my school,Females are actually slightly much than males.
They keep saying women are oppressed but as the writer again mentioned,there are countless women in different fields doing absolutely great in Nigeria.Go to the hospital you see EQUALLY many female doctors,female physios,female Lab scientist.............OUTRAGEOUSLY many female Nurses compared to their male counterparts(If this had been the other way around,with nurse been a relatively good job,feminist would have been shouting OPPRESSION!) As they do in the engineering field even though it's a known fact is that a very large number Of men enroll in engineering schools compared to women and yet they want the employment ratio to be the same!.
Pls Feminist,let's know EXACTLY what the oppression is :
Is it that the cut-off for jamb is lower for males than man?
Is it that parents. Send their male child to school and not the female?
Is it that companies generally employ males more than women in Nigeria?
Pls let's be specific,we are tired of the usual slogan of "The average Nigerian girl.....................blah blah blah blah" that you guyz dig up from God knows where.
The reference to Northern part @ cococandy is pure BS,the problem is a general one, both the males and females lack access to Education not just the females nor is it a scheme directed at oppressing females.Education generally needs to be improved in that part of the country and again not just for the females but generally for both genders as it is both that are lacking the access.
And lemme just add this,most Nl feminist,@ least those that I know when they joined Nl are just bloody hypocrites who joined the movement just coz they think it makes them appear smart and "cool".

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Djicemob: 8:53am On Jul 31, 2014
Life is really simple but we insist on making it complicated.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 31, 2014
cococandy: First the wirter says the problem of female suppression doesn't exist in Nigeria.
That almost renders the whole write up invalid.
I'm sorry it's difficult to take some who says that seriously.
A country where we have to count the high profile women off the fingers of both hands and feet still has a long way to go in women's emancipation.
He wanted her to be specific about the part of Nigeria still in the dark?
I guess we should title the next topic 'emancipation of women in the North' or
'Emancipation of women in urhobo land'
Aren't we all Nigerians?

Second,one would have expected him/her to put their points accross without throwing insults and jabs at the person of chimamanda.
I don't know what this write up is all about,but it is glaring that at the heart of it is a deep dislike for adichie. And hate is one thing I don't do.if I quote all the sentences where she/he said nasty things about the writer, it'll be very obvious this topic is about chimamanda and nothing else.
And frankly I've a life so colorful I don't sit and discuss celebrities.

I think the author of this post should try get such a life too.

WTF, good lord... U know u don't have to comment if u got nothing to say right??

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by amnestylaw1(m): 8:56am On Jul 31, 2014
Hmm, honestly, I never gave a thought to the writer's arguments. He seem to have some points, yet, Adichie also is free to carve a niche for herself when it comes to what she writes and how she presents it.

As excellent and well renowned as Wole Soyinka and China Achebe are/were, they also have their own share of criticisms by those who think they know better. I think we cannot all think alike or see things the same way.

Adichie, like every other writer, has got her own style and tone of writing which she embellishes with her philosophies. There are bound to be those who will kick against her and I think this writer is just one of the thousands of critics to come.

3 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 8:56am On Jul 31, 2014
remsonik: I hate reading hate post, obviously the writer of this article hates chimamanda so much. He can't give a balanced view of feminism in nigeria while staying in finland.

The article is written by a woman

Modified: It seems its a man

4 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Decryptor(m): 8:58am On Jul 31, 2014
[size=18pt]Below are WOMEN WHO ARE SENSIBLE AND SANE[/size]

10 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by crudedude(m): 9:00am On Jul 31, 2014
PhumiTJ: story story.....
am a feminist and nothing can change DAT not even your epistle
Happy Birthday Feministsmiley
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 9:01am On Jul 31, 2014
remsonik: I hate reading hate post, obviously the writer of this article hates chimamanda so much. He can't give a balanced view of feminism in nigeria while staying in finland.
But then in the same vein, how can Adichie give a balanced view of feminism in Nigeria while she is in far away USA?

8 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Djicemob: 9:02am On Jul 31, 2014
PhumiTJ: story story.....
am a feminist and nothing can change DAT not even your epistle
Am a feminist! Do u even know the meaning of the word or u just wanna sound funky.As a nigerian,How are u affected?

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Decryptor(m): 9:07am On Jul 31, 2014
[size=18pt]MORE SANE WOMEN! I NEED ONE AS A WIFE [/size] kiss

For more of these countless pictures, visit http://womenagainstfeminism.tumblr.com/

5 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Konjour(m): 9:08am On Jul 31, 2014
I once went to see a lecturer of mine in her office, and upon the first poster on the wall anyone'd

see upon entry was the phrase 'Give your daughter less pocket money than your son'.

I was intrigued and asked her why she supported that notion and she replied: 'women already

have the advantage of having it easier than men in the job markets, in the domestic scene, in

the outside world where they are treated with kid gloves and protected in the view that they are

the weaker sex...I need a daughter who is a toughened nut and would earn respect, not demand

it'. The said lecturer is a 58 year old English woman who is qualified to be the Captain of a ship.

After all's been said and done, feminism might have started off with genuine motives, but in my

humble opinion, in this 21st century, feminism has become a bandwagon of bullcrap.

I'm not really bothered by it anyway. Afterall I'm only going to be married to one woman for life.

And she's going to be a woman that has got the screws on her head and shoulders screwed on

pretty tight, not some boring, sex-starved, holier-than-thou, demented woman who will tell me

my surname is not her piece of cake after marriage.

10 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by obowunmi(m): 9:08am On Jul 31, 2014
Everyone on this post is writing within a patriarchal POV.

Exactly why Nigeria needs feminism.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 9:08am On Jul 31, 2014
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by obowunmi(m): 9:09am On Jul 31, 2014
Everyone on this post is writing within a patriarchal POV.

undecided lipsrsealed undecided lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 9:10am On Jul 31, 2014
obowunmi: Everyone on this post is writing within a patriarchal POV.

Please what exactly is this patriachal point of view? Care to explain?

6 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by Decryptor(m): 9:11am On Jul 31, 2014
MrAnony1:
I smell an MRA/MGTOW

Very true! cool
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 9:15am On Jul 31, 2014
Decryptor:

Very true! cool
Lololol fairplay to you....careful you don't tip over the edge though....the step from regular MRA to radical MRA (a.k.a MGTOW/PUA) is not very far. It's kinda like the step from regular feminism to radical feminism to FEMEN.

It's easy to lose your balance when you radically buy into an ideology.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by damiso(f): 9:17am On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1: Superlative post!

And this is the sense of balance and realism i will like to see in this debate

Just last week.. i was discussing the 6 months maternal leave and i said endorse it but the issue is economic and not tied to gender

How many companies can afford topay an additional 3 months

Some dont even pay..

Nice points

You are right.Businesses are set up to make up a profit and even in the west the logistics of catering to parental leave just makes doing business a bit harder esp for small businesses who might not have the resources to cushion the temporary loss of an essential human resource.

My mum has shops in Balgun market and her team leader(that's the name I call her longest serving shop girl grin) is such a vital part of how the business runs.This girl held the forte while my mum left the business to come help for 3 months when I had my baby.Very trustworthy and lovely girl and my mum relies on her heavily.She is pregnant and due in a couple of weeks and I had to tell my mum off that 8 weeks mat leave was too small and she should extend to 12 weeks after all this years.She said its easy for me to say as I don dey think like oyinbo grin but the reality is she has to pay her and also get another shop girl that she would have to second to another shop when she gets back despite that other shop not necessarily needing another staff,that's extra overhead but it will be cruel to let her go after 3 months.I told why not look for a temp who is probably looking for admission and she said haa those ones who are looking for admission are too big for shopgirl o haa shopgirl ke how can shopgirl pay for Brazilian hair grin she said oti ronu bi britico(I am thinking like a Brit).So yeah as much as I say Nigeria needs some legislation regarding labour laws for parents it boils down to affordability.

I studied a module on Equality and Diversity and really we have a looong way to go.Even Britain that has equality and diversity act still has aloooot to do.

Disabled people nko?Tribalism?social and economic inequalities?How many well off Nigerians actually believe that their drivers and houseboys are the same as them or that their children should have equal or almost same opportunities in life as their own children? This equality issue is a multifaceted one in our society and gender equality is just one layer.

6 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 9:17am On Jul 31, 2014
MrAnony1:
Lololol fairplay to you....careful you don't tip over the edge though....the step from regular MRA to radical MRA (a.k.a MGTOW/PUA) is not very far. It's kinda like the step from regular feminism to radical feminism to FEMEN.

It's easy to lose your balance when you radically buy into an ideology.

Can you tell us the difference btw regular and radical feminism
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by ihedinobi2: 9:18am On Jul 31, 2014
hayorbaami: The endless love for feminism arguments.. cheesy. Don't you just love how this same set of people keep expending energy over this issue? Why give so much attention to a movement you detest so much? Stay away from feminists and live longer and healthier cheesy. When will we hear the last of this war against feminism biko cheesy cool

You can only choose how to live your own life, not how others live theirs. Eish!

That bolded goes both ways, you know.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by sisiafrika(f): 9:18am On Jul 31, 2014
Feminist: confused lesbians, shemaless, and tranniesss high on male hormones. Trust me, they hate men since like poles repel. Wetin be ma own? Siddon look

3 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by ihedinobi2: 9:22am On Jul 31, 2014
Amhappy: What a long post. There must be war going on between Adiche and this writer sincerely to warant this. To say Adiche mock Achebe's works is a serious accusations. I dont agree with this writer that all communities in Igboland treat ladies fairly. If Adichie is from where i think she came from, then there is no reason for the writer to wonder why she do all the things she was accused of. Feminism is something i dont understand blc i see it as extreme. I believe humans all over the world should be given fair treatment,be it a man,woman or child.
Fair treatment is not equal treatment. I think that feminists know that. They aren't asking for women to be treated fairly, as far as I know. They're asking for them to be treated equally, the same as men. I think that their arguments for that position tend to be self-contradictory.

3 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by pickabeau1: 9:22am On Jul 31, 2014
Beautiful!

I remember a discussion i had long ago with some on this issues
Its an human right and fairness isse and should not be made about a gender

if that lady has good framework and solid support.. she can have good income and take care of her kid.. That benefits the family and the society

A friend in Holland told me about maternal leave

3 months - full pay
next 3 - 90% pay with option of a another six months
Those additional 6 months will be paid at 75% or so

Tell me how many companies here can do that

Also professional firms like Pwc, Accenture are allowing female partners and staff(of some years take furloughs to take care of kids
When they return they will be assimilated at the same position

That means that the sole income in that period will be adequate
How many families here have that privilege

Really big issues

damiso:
You are right.Businesses are set up to make up a profit and even in the west the logistics of catering to parental leave just makes doing business a bit harder esp for small businesses who might not have the resources to cushion the loss of a temporary loss of an essential human resource.

My mum has shops in Balgun market and her team leader(that's the name I hugs be her longest serving shop girl grin) is such a vital part of how the business runs.This girl held the forte while my mum left the business to come help for 3 months when I had my baby.Very trustworthy and lovely girl and my mum relies on her heavily.She is pregnant and due in a couple of weeks and I had to tell my mum off that 8 weeks was too small and she should extend to 12 weeks after all this years.She said its easy for me to say as I don they think like oyinbo grin but the reality is she has to pay her and also get another shop girl that she would have to second to another shop when she gets back despite that shop other shop not necessarily needing another staff,that's extra overhead but it will be cruel to let her go after 3 months.I told why not look for a temp who is probably looking for admission and she said haa those ones who are looking for admission are too big for shopgirl o has shopgirl ke how can shopgirl pay for Brazilian hair grin she said oti ronu bi britico(I am thinking like a Brit).So yeah as much as I say Nigeria needs some legislation regarding labour laws for parents it boils down to affordability.

I studied a module on Equality and Diversity and really we have a looong way to go.Even Britain that has equality and diversity act still had aloooot to do.Disabled people nko?Tribalism?social and economic inequalities?How many well off Nigerians actually believe that their drivers and houseboys are the same as them or that their children should have equal or almost same opportunities in life? This equality issue is a multifaceted one in our society and gender equality is just one layer.

2 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by mpowa(m): 9:24am On Jul 31, 2014
Alot of thanks to this writer because he's doing our society alot of good, seeing what this feminism had caused in Finland, I'd appeal to Nigerian feminist wanna be to desist from this ideology, it's not the best for us and our beautiful family structure.

Our society favours women more than men, you don't see men supporting other men for beating a woman in the public, even if she's the one at fault. Though some men beat their wives, society does not support it and we see such men as cowards. Women definitely get more jobs than men even in situations where the men are more qualified.

Women would achieve more by accepting to be women as God has made it, Men are meant to be aggressive and achieving, but women to be soft, considerate and nurturing. This is the woman's strength and not a weakness at all, when a woman is this way, she gets anything she wants from men or the society, but when she's aggressive and always trying to fight for her self, she resents the men and everyone, I'm not saying should not strive to achieve to any height, if she has the qualification, why not, but that she should remain a woman, no matter the height she attains, most of the feminists i see around at least in Nigeria are people trying to fight the order God has put in place, they don't want to submit or serve any man but ironically they want to be taken care of by a man.

7 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by PassingShot(m): 9:40am On Jul 31, 2014
It's unfortunate that many have practically "lost" the chance to enjoy a good living as ordained by God as a result of feminism. We now have very high rate of divorce and single parenthood just because of this mentality.

Let the wise ladies/women use their brain and refuse to tow this path of distruction.

3 Likes

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by abiola992(m): 9:40am On Jul 31, 2014
This write up is nothing but an attack on Adichie's personality and what she believes in. It's not a debate, and I hate myself for reading the entire 'crap'. I blame the lecturer for coming late to class.
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by okeyben10: 9:41am On Jul 31, 2014
Amhappy: What a long post. There must be war going on between Adiche and this writer sincerely to warant this. To say Adiche mock Achebe's works is a serious accusations. I dont agree with this writer that all communities in Igboland treat ladies fairly. If Adichie is from where i think she came from, then there is no reason for the writer to wonder why she do all the things she was accused of. Feminism is something i dont understand blc i see it as extreme. I believe humans all over the world should be given fair treatment,be it a man,woman or child.
[color=#990000][/color] Agree with you on bold
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by PassingShot(m): 9:42am On Jul 31, 2014
mpowa: Alot of thanks to this writer because he's doing our society alot of good, seeing what this feminism had caused in Finland, I'd appeal to Nigerian feminist wanna be to desist from this ideology, it's not the best for us and our beautiful family structure.

Our society favours women more than men, you don't see men supporting other men for beating a woman in the public, even if she's the one at fault. Though some men beat their wives, society does not support it and we see such men as cowards. Women definitely get more jobs than men even in situations where the men are more qualified.

Women would achieve more by accepting to be women as God has made it, Men are meant to be aggressive and achieving, but women to be soft, considerate and nurturing. This is the woman's strength and not a weakness at all, when a woman is this way, she gets anything she wants from men or the society, but when she's aggressive and always trying to fight for her self, she resents the men and everyone, I'm not saying should not strive to achieve to any height, if she has the qualification, why not, but that she should remain a woman, no matter the height she attains, most of the feminists i see around at least in Nigeria are people trying to fight the order God has put in place, they don't want to submit or serve any man but ironically they want to be taken care of by a man.

Plus they're mostly always divorcees and single parents who live unhappy life even though they deny it.

1 Like

Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 9:43am On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1:

Can you tell us the difference btw regular and radical feminism
Yes I can.

Both regular and radical feminism are characterized by a concern for issues that adversely affect women and trying to help them to overcome these issues: this includes aiding women in societies where women are oppressed to break forth from their oppressors and create a more equal playing feild.
Radical feminism such as is FEMEN for instance goes further to demonize men and argue for positions that go beyond equality and unto a society that oppresses men.

In the same way, a regular MRA would be concerned about men's issues and try to combat problems that adversely affect men: Helping men gain a more equal footing with the females in the society. A radical MRA such as a MGTOW or PUA takes more extreme positions that demonize women (not the feminist ideology) and treat them with malice
Re: Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And Fallacies By A. Gonzaga by MrAnony1(m): 9:44am On Jul 31, 2014
sisiafrika: Feminist: confused lesbians, shemaless, and tranniesss high on male hormones. Trust me, they hate men since like poles repel. Wetin be ma own? Siddon look
That's an unfair and inaccurate description of feminists

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Once Husband And Wife Sleep In Different Beds, The Marriage Is Almost Over ..... / My Sister Married An Efulefu. What Should She Do? / Why Do Most People Love Their Mother More Than Father?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.