Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,829 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:36 PM

Be Honest. When Last Did You Help The Poor And Needy? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Be Honest. When Last Did You Help The Poor And Needy? (525 Views)

Valentine With The Poor! / What Can't You Help But Spend Money On? / When Last Did You Sight A Rainbow In Nigeria And Where? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Be Honest. When Last Did You Help The Poor And Needy? by Eberex(m): 4:15pm On Jul 30, 2014
Most of us are so stingy that it is difficult to bring out #20.00 from your wallet. Tell me you have not crossed the pedestrian bridges and walk past beggars who sweeps the bridge, yet you don't feel anything even when they don't ask for money? These are little things we do that shows how kind we are.

It is worth saying something about the social position of beggars, for when one has consorted with them, and found that they are ordinary human beings, one cannot help being struck by the curious attitude that society takes towards them.

Beggars do not work, it is said; but, then, what is work? A navy works by swinging a pick. An accountant works by adding up figures. A beggar works by standing out of doors in all weathers and getting varicose veins, chronic bronchitis, etc.

It is a trade like any other; quite useless, of course--but, then, many reputable trades are quite useless. And as a social type a beggar compares well with scores of others. He is honest compared with the sellers of most patent medicines, high-minded compared with a Sunday newspaper proprietor, amiable compared with a hire-purchase tout--in short, a parasite, but a fairly harmless parasite. He seldom extracts more than a bare living from the community, and, what should justify him according to our ethical ideas, he pays for it over and over in suffering.

The prayer of a beggar to a cheerful giver will never go un-answered.

by George Orwell
Re: Be Honest. When Last Did You Help The Poor And Needy? by Nobody: 7:51am On Jul 31, 2014
It seems you just arrived Nigeria to know that giving alms to beggars has gone bad..

I for one,do it rarely and with caution

(1) (Reply)

How I Was Raped By A Woman I Met Here. (A Work Of Fiction By Dickdastardly) / How To Be A Proper Lagosian / Transformation.com.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.