Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,411 members, 7,781,191 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:25 AM

Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? (30999 Views)

Why / Why Are Nigerians And Ghanians Rivals / Why Are Nigerians So Annoying On Facebook? This Is Getting Ridiculous. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Ishilove: 2:37am On Aug 01, 2014
Yes indeed. Why are we the way we are? I remember two years ago during the nationwide strike following the fuel increment, while many Nigerians took to the streets to stage protests, an even greater number sat in their houses, behind computer screens and drew ridiculous pictures with even more ridiculous, albeit hilarious captions. While their counterparts in the Middle East the previous year bled and died during the Arab spring, Nigerians conducted their own 'Naija spring' on the internet, circulating funny pictures and memes as their own contribution to the struggle.

In other countries, when a government official goofs publicly, the citizens immediately demand accountability. Not so in Nigeria. After Mr Anselm disgraced the NSCDC on national and international television (Channels tv), Nigerians immediately responded by flooding the internet with rib cracking memes and caricatures, even going to the extent of producing branded tshirts of our 'Oga-at-the-top'.

Whenever you see the cartoon of a woman in wearing an awkward gele, with a puffy, scrunched up face, streaming eyeglasses, and white handkerchief, you immediately know who it is. Patience Jonathan has been immortalised.

The one that really has me puzzled is this new Ebola inspired craze. One would think that something as serious as an incurable disease that kills within days would provoke sober reflection on the feeble state of mankind, but NO, the opposite is the case. I have seen so many silly jokes about the Ebola virus on BBM, Nairaland, facebook and other social networking forums. Must everything be a joke?

I voiced my observations to some of my colleague and was promptly laughed at. While one said "wo, a le para wa jor'' (we can't kill ourselves jor), another remarked on his facebook wall: "Ebola! Your fada. No matter how you strong your face reach, we must break you down". This dude followed this statement with some very funny memes on his wall. ( I don't know the jobless people that come up with all those funny pictures).

Smh. No wonder the international community can never take us seriously.

120 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Nobody: 2:43am On Aug 01, 2014
Nigerians are just fun loving people and the ability to find fun in a rather serious situation in a bid to reduce the tension is genius to me. I think such 'jokes' tend to calm the people down and I don't really see anything wrong with it.

256 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by JeffreyJamez(m): 2:48am On Aug 01, 2014
Ladystewie: Nigerians are just fun loving people and the ability to find fun in a rather serious situation in a bid to reduce the tension is genius to me. I think such 'jokes' tend to calm the people down and I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Thank you!!!! You've said it all.......

45 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by MissLirusehn(f): 3:14am On Aug 01, 2014
Ladystewie: Nigerians are just fun loving people and the ability to find fun in a rather serious situation in a bid to reduce the tension is genius to me. I think such 'jokes' tend to calm the people down and I don't really see anything wrong with it.

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by mstik(f): 4:10am On Aug 01, 2014
That's a very positive and optimistic spirit if you ask me. So you want us to don sack clothes and cover ourselves with ashes anytime something bad happens? Our good attitude shows our ability and willingness to move on and it also reduces tension. Op, this is not why the int'l community doesn't take us seriously. Remember we are part of Africa, which is supposedly a backward place so we are no competition to them.

46 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by theplanmaker: 5:01am On Aug 01, 2014
we endure a lot everyday , you just can't push us to the wall, if you do we ll simply climb over and continue living.........that's why nothing is taken serious in Nigeria

34 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Bunchersstab(m): 5:09am On Aug 01, 2014
We are just who we are, we wont change we rep naija for life grin
we get d best out of everything.

84 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Nobody: 5:11am On Aug 01, 2014
yeah..i jes lyked yer post now angry angry
Bunchersstab: We are just who we are, we wont change we rep naija for life grin
we get d best out of everything.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by AdeniyiA(m): 5:59am On Aug 01, 2014
We are simply a good people,great nation of good followers,our leaders have told us to be peaceful (in order to enjoy their ill gotten wealth), we complied. unfortunately we are not being listened to by our leaders/govt. in such case we result to airing our views thru d social forums, to ourselves and make caricatures of our leaders weneva they commit any gaffe,then seasoned wt jokes . In no distant future, they are ALL coming to join us on these social sites, by then we'd all be ready to counter them.
On a final note, let it be known that Nigerians are tough,surviving, peace loving, jovial, nd happy people always. any leader or disease outbreak or anything watsoeva that threatens to discomfit us eventually gets discomfited

35 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by sCross: 6:11am On Aug 01, 2014
Yes we should be optimistic inspite of any and everything. But there should also be a line that we should never cross no matter how funny it may sound.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by ITbomb(m): 6:47am On Aug 01, 2014
Nigeria is so large a country that happenings in some parts sounds like statistics in another. Until it happens to someone in the immediate community, that is when we know say water don pass garri.

Killings and bombing in the north sounds to people in the South like some Arcade shooting game which the Nigerian military are not playing well, the people killed end up as statistics.

Same with Ebola, people have this mentality that it is happening somewhere in some hospital in Lagos so no cause for alarm, until when the next dead body is in their Street.

For the demonstrations and bleeding for country, many still believe that people protesting are trying to protect their source of income, so if you are comfortable and independent of government contracts where you are, no time to protest. Na their turn to chop mentality, our turn dey come.
Nigerians can be very serious when activated with strong physical evidence (not news flash)

60 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Tallesty1(m): 7:30am On Aug 01, 2014
I know but @least we should know where to draw the line. We are fun-loving-people, YES. It helps reduce tension.YES. But can it give us what we want? NO, is it really helping us? NO!. Our leaders are aware of our unseriousness and that is why they are looting us with pride. One terrible thing about us is this mentality of "If I Didn't Happen To You or Your Relative Then It Really Doesn't Concern You". It is very bad. We are not serious people and we prefer to spend time sending retweets of hashtags instead of taking real action. There was a time you cannot see a comment here without the #bringbackourgirls hashtagg. But now what happened? The girls have been forgoten. To blow hot air; shout and make noise is where we are perfect.We have remained silent for so long and failed to make our government accountable for so long and it is not and will never help us.

65 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by VivyGift(f): 8:43am On Aug 01, 2014
Sometimes it annoys me when I see some serious issues taken as a joke, instead of us to put our heads together probably to fight against it or find a solution to it.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by LarrySun(m): 9:52am On Aug 01, 2014
I'm not surprised; since our verbal communication has often remained badly ambiguous; we blame the government for everything evil. No one is ready to take responsibility for the defects of the society; instead, we make asinine (even evil) jokes to mask our discomfort. The first sign of headache can be a neckache. We may suddenly wake up one morning to find out that these unserious fiends are candidates for straitjackets who'd escaped the confinements of their mental asylums.

The theory that the crippled government is the cause of the imbroglio circulating all around the federation is, I feel, a somewhat too complacent half-truth; we are the architects of our own mishaps. The civilians allowed themselves to be held by the ears like rabbits and tossed into the thorns by imbeciles of higher echelons whose acidulated mien and balderdashing decadents has made them dizzy with their own intellectual altitude, all just for the paltry sum of thirty pieces of silver. I fear for the growing generations; for when even giants are toppled, what hope is there for the midgets?

We should rise up, take the bull by the flank and make our stands against these revolting oppressors among ourselves; the state of the nation has gone beyond the days of 'twinkle, twinkle little stars'...cracking jokes about our own misfortunes is a perfect show of 'suffering and smiling'.

18 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by An0nimus: 10:21am On Aug 01, 2014
Waiting for a barrage of unserious comments to grace this thread when it hits front page.

on a lighter note, the comment just above gave me a slight headache.

14 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by xynerise: 10:30am On Aug 01, 2014
Why do you think they tagged us ''The happiest people on Earth''?

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Ishilove: 11:20am On Aug 01, 2014
You have a point but Nigerians take it overboard.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Ishilove: 11:25am On Aug 01, 2014
VivyGift: Sometimes it annoys me when I see some serious issues taken as a joke, instead of us to put our heads together probably to fight against it or find a solution to it.
Exactly! That's the point I am trying to make. It is this whole Ebola thing that even provoked me. Families have been thrown into mourning because of this scourge and yet people are making jokes

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by esere826: 11:26am On Aug 01, 2014
@ishilove

I'll explain why we're like this.
I'll do so using a bad example

1) when a few males or females in a society are molested once or twice when they are mature
the individuals and the society they belong to take the matter very seriously

2) but when an entire community has been consistently (almost on a daily bases) molested from childhood
the reaction is different
they make jokes about it and rationalise it
u might then hear stuff like:

-"But he was gentle when doing it"
-"At least I chop him money b4 him do am"
-"I wish he used a CD"
-"no mind am, with him short staff"

Some nations are like the first
ours is like the second ..so we don't easily get shocked

24 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Ishilove: 11:34am On Aug 01, 2014
esere826: @ishilove

I'll explain why we're like this.
I'll do so using a bad example

1) when a few males or females in a society are molested once or twice when they are mature
the individuals and the society they belong to take the matter very seriously

2) but when an entire community has been consistently (almost on a daily bases) molested from childhood
the reaction is different
they make jokes about it and rationalise it
u might then hear stuff like:

-"But he was gentle when doing it"
-"At least I chop him money b4 him do am"
-"I wish he used a CD"
-"no mind am, with him short staff"

Some nations are like the first
ours is like the second ..so we don't easily get shocked

We've been so badly beaten that we don't evem notice it anymore. That's rather depressing.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by aletheia(m): 12:04pm On Aug 01, 2014
Ishilove: ...While their counterparts in the Middle East the previous year bled and died during the Arab spring, Nigerians conducted their own 'Naija spring' on the internet, circulating funny pictures and memes as their own contribution to the struggle.

A year on the "Arab Spring" has become a horror of nightmare. Ask the Libyans, Egyptians, Syrians, and the Iraqis. History shows that ultimately all "revolutions" fail. So Nigerians are actually better off with their approach to issues.

23 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by olushowunm(m): 1:36pm On Aug 01, 2014
@Op... When I saw this post, I thought you will talk about our general attitudes to work, society and ourselves... But I was surprised to read about one aspect of our unseriousness. Nigeria to me still have a long way to go, most of our youths believes in civil service jobs and thinks when you have it, you are made for life. People have stop dreaming, our people have wrong ethics to work, life and everything. All of us wants to wake up a Billionaire like Dangote but we are never ready to pay the price. We all want a just and equitable society but we are always not seen when the time comes to ask for those rights. In short I have come to to tagged Nigerians; "Cowards, lazy and Bloodsucking corrupt people"...

27 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by sholay2011(m): 2:40pm On Aug 01, 2014
Most people commenting here clearly didn't get the OP.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Ishilove: 6:10pm On Aug 01, 2014
olushowunm: @Op... When I saw this post, I thought you will talk about our general attitudes to work, society and ourselves... But I was surprised to read about one aspect of our unseriousness. Nigeria to me still have a long way to go, most of our youths believes in civil service jobs and thinks when you have it, you are made for life. People have stop dreaming, our people have wrong ethics to work, life and everything. All of us wants to wake up a Billionaire like Dangote but we are never ready to pay the price. We all want a just and equitable society but we are always not seen when the time comes to ask for those rights. In short I have come to to tagged Nigerians; "Cowards, lazy and Bloodsucking corrupt people"...
I must disagree with you. Nigerians are resilient and very enterprising people. They are also following the footsteps of their leaders. The system is decayed but intead of fighting that decay, we are sitting behind computer screens and drawing funny cartoons.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by corisande: 7:19pm On Aug 01, 2014
Not arguing that we have a high level of unseriousnesscheesy,
But since this ebola issue, there has been a lot of sensitizations through the funny pictures and jokes.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 02, 2014
Gracias Senorità
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Megozuks: 12:20pm On Aug 02, 2014
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Megozuks: 12:21pm On Aug 02, 2014
Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Ishilove: 1:55am On Aug 07, 2014
Megozuks: Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria.
True that. We ahould quit blaming the whiteman for our problems

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by wildchild1: 5:52am On Aug 07, 2014
It just shows Nigerians have a great sense of humour despite the problem at hand.
For me this kind of jokes relief me cos my fear fo dis Ebola no b small but anytime i read something about it and its funny,I'm always relieved.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by ghostofsparta(m): 7:13am On Aug 07, 2014
Ishilove: Yes indeed. Why are we the way we are? I remember two years ago during the nationwide strike following the fuel increment, while many Nigerians took to the streets to stage protests, an even greater number sat in their houses, behind computer screens and drew ridiculous pictures with even more ridiculous, albeit hilarious captions. While their counterparts in the Middle East the previous year bled and died during the Arab spring, Nigerians conducted their own 'Naija spring' on the internet, circulating funny pictures and memes as their own contribution to the struggle.
In other countries, when a government official goofs publicly, the citizens immediately demand accountability. Not so in Nigeria. After Mr Anselm disgraced the NSCDC on national and international television (Channels tv), Nigerians immediately responded by flooding the internet with rib cracking memes and caricatures, even going to the extent of producing branded tshirts of our 'Oga-at-the-top'.
Whenever you see the cartoon of a woman in wearing an awkward gele, with a puffy, scrunched up face, streaming eyeglasses, and white handkerchief, you immediately know who it is. Patience Jonathan has been immortalised.
The one that really got me puzzled is this new Ebola inspired craze. One would think that something as serious as an incurable disease that kills within days would provoke sober reflection on the feeble state of mankind, but NO, the opposite is the case. I have seen so many silly jokes about the Ebola virus on BBM, Nairaland, facebook and other social networking forums. Must everything be a joke?
I voiced my observations to some of my colleague and was promptly laughed at. While one said "wo, a le para wa jor'' (we can't kill ourselves jor), another remarked on his facebook wall: "Ebola! Your fada. No matter how you strong your face reach, we must break you down". This dude followedea this statement with some very funny memes on his wall. ( I don't know the jobless people that come up with all those funny pictures).
Smh. No wonder the international community can never take us seriously.
O dear Ishi, what an excellent post!. It's shares almost the same premise with what I was trying to express here. At 27 and unmarried, I still consider myself a youth but one that always feel disheartened by the sort of zany reactions on serious matter from the multitude of Nigerian youths and particularly their frivolous attitude towards the future, never for once had there been any youth filled movement serious enough with a common cause nor are any ideo-philosophically driven group of scholars in the universities pedaling a revolution that could at least cause a ripple effect, every youths and teens are always keen about sports, particularly European soccer and of lately football bets, a fashion craze bandwagons that are not fascinated by their respective indigenous cultures but ever fastened to the middle-eastern religions hinged on warped westernism who are readily quick to condemn, demonize and denigrate everything relating to their ancestral past, sciences and customs in embrace of the lewd aspect of Americanism as fueled by the materialistic God-forgiven religious houses everywhere.

You colleague's responses to this Ebola issue is even sensible compared to what I have heard from humans I call friends, one close friend of mine told me a week ago that he doesn't think it real, I demanded his reason to which he couldn't say, just that he believes there's nothing like Ebola! I think we Nigerians have for years of torturous existence had somehow developed this denial mechanism to cope with a myriads of social and economic challenges in otherwise superb country. Click HERE to read a probable truth on a plausible origin of Ebola.

15 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Unserious?!? by Ishilove: 8:13am On Aug 07, 2014
ghostofsparta:
O dear Ishi, what an excellent post!. It's shares almost the same premise with what I was trying to express here. At 27 and unmarried, I still consider myself a youth but one that always feel disheartened with the zany reaction of the multitude of the Nigerian youths towards serious matter coupled with their frivolous attitude about the future, never for once has there being some youth filled movement serious enough about a common cause a ripple effect nor are any ideo-philosophically driven scholars in the universities, they are always keen about anything sports, particularly European soccers and of lately football bets, a fashion craze bandwagons that are unfascinated by their respective indigenous cultures but ever fastened to middle-eastern religions processed with warped Americanism and readily quick to demonize and denigrate everything relating to their ancestral sciences and customs in embrace of the lewd aspect of westernism as fueled by the materialistic God-forgiven religious houses.

You colleague's responses to this Ebola issue is even sensible compared to what I have heard from humans I call friends, one close friend of mine told me a week ago that he doesn't think it real, I demanded his reason to which he couldn't say, just that he believes there's nothing like Ebola! I think we Nigerians have for years of torturous existence had somehow developed this denial mechanism to cope with a myriads of social and economic challenges in otherwise superb country. Click HERE to read a probable truth on a plausible origin of Ebola.
Your colleague doesn't belive Ebola is real? shocked Adonbelivit!! cheesy

He needs his head examined angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Winning Number For Lotto Nigeria For This Week / Check This Pix! / Quotes That Can Change Your Perspective On Life(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.