Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,829 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:35 PM

Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World (32404 Views)

Political Cartoon: Buhari The Snail, A Nation In Waiting - Sahara Reporters / Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 / Nigeria The Most Corrupt Nation In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by hipcaramel(f): 8:15pm On Sep 17, 2005
Hey people, what do you feel about the recent development of ranking us the 2nd poorest nation in the world? It's so annoying and I personally don't think it's true.

Air your views.

Source: http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/breaking_news/article01/150905 (added by Editor)

"World Bank rates Nigeria Second Poorest Nation":
Yet another World Bank report has put Nigeria at the top of the world's poorest nations. The new publication released at the ongoing United Nations summit offers new estimates of total wealth including produced capital, natural resources and the value of human skills and capabilities, which show that many of the poorest countries in the world are not on a sustainable path. It cites Nigeria as an example of resource-dependent nation, which could have produced capital five times higher than it did in 2000, if only it had made a moderate effort to save. The document: "Where is the Wealth of Nations? Measuring Capital for the 21st Century" launched by the World Bank listed the top-10 richest countries and top-10 poorest countries Sub-Saharan Africa dominates the latter, with Nigeria standing on the ninth position before Ethiopia, which has the lowest level of total wealth. Switzerland heads a list in which the top-10 performers are all Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries. European countries-of which two are Scandinavian-dominate the list and non-European economies are the United States and Japan. Madagascar, Chad, Mozambique, Guinea Bissau, Nepal, Niger, Congo Republic, and Burundi are

ahead of Nigeria in ranking. Their wealth per capital varies from $5,020 to $2, 859 while natural capital stood between 265 per cent and 42 per cent. The produced capital of the countries was put between 180 per cent and 6 per cent, and intangible capital 64 per cent and 39 per cent. Figures for Nigeria's wealth per capital are $2,748, natural capital 147 per cent, produced capital 24 percent and intangible capital is minus 71.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by iseg007(m): 8:48pm On Sep 17, 2005
it a big disappointment to nigeria that even after all the process of reforms,capitalization nigeria culd still be place as the 2nd poorest nation well its only if all those old fools that dont want to step down from power...without this nigeria will still swim in tumoil
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 8:57pm On Sep 17, 2005
NIGERIA:

2nd most corrupt nation in the world embarassed

2nd poorest nation in the world cry

Most religious country in the world!!! cheesy

(Omo we gat rep oooo! grin)

But frankly speaking now, I don't think nigeria is the 2nd poorest nation in the world. Afterall, all those North and East African countries are still there . . . Nigeria is still richer than Rep. of benin, Ghana, Liberia, Senegal, Sudan, etc...

Who was the idiot that ranked us anyway? rolleyes
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by nike4luv(f): 9:30pm On Sep 17, 2005
woah..Nigeria is not the poorest country o..wat about Algeria what about Kenya..not gon happen, we not one of the 10 poorest countries..

we are even lucky i tell you..lucky!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 10:45pm On Sep 17, 2005
yeah sure! Nigeria, I can say, is one of the richest countries in the world (at least we enter first 100 grin). Nigeria, as at present, is the largest oil producer in Africa and the eleventh largest in the world. Nigeria is the world's highest natural gas flaring country

Who da hell is saying we are poor, not to talk of the 2nd poorest I say again, who was the mumu that ranked us? angry
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 11:14pm On Sep 17, 2005
it's was 17th or something around there the last time i checked (june this year) how did it jump to 2nd in just 3 mths?.

@goodguy, we are poor. only an elite 5 or so percent enjoy all the wealth while the masses suffer. blame the government.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:33pm On Sep 17, 2005
Well i guess those of you nairalanders abroad are part of the elite 5 or so percent enjoying all the wealth of this country grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by joftech(m): 12:07am On Sep 18, 2005
woah..Nigeria is not the poorest country o..what about Algeria what about Kenya..not gon happen, we not one of the 10 poorest countries..

Nigeria even deserved to be in position -100 in the list of the most poorest nation on the face of earth. If you compare the resources and the level of poverty in the country you will know they are not lying.

There's real poverty around here!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by layi(m): 12:12pm On Sep 18, 2005
Nigeria deserves it. Its not the budget of the country that is used rather its the per capital income that is used to rank.
80% of Nigerians still live below the $1 per day mark and this is true.
Ghana sef better pass us and if care is not taken somaila go surpas us. We are sufferin in the midst of plenty. It cant get worse than this no thanks to our lootin leaders. It's really hurtin cry

goodguy:

yeah sure! Nigeria, I can say, is one of the richest countries in the world (at least we enter first 100 grin). Nigeria, as at present, is the largest oil producer in Africa and the eleventh largest in the world. Nigeria is the world's highest natural gas flaring country

Gas flarin is wasteful venture not a money makin venture. Its a bad thing.
Infact its enough to rank us as poorest.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by hipcaramel(f): 4:41pm On Sep 18, 2005
the ranking was done by the World Bank and you're right, Layi. per capita income is used in ranking countries and, unfortunately, we didnt quite cut it. it's so sad and annoying. as for gas flaring, instead of us to use it to our advantage by generating electricity with d gas, and in the process help NEPA with it's inadequacies, we flare and destroy our environment. all these are as a result of the level of corruption in this country (by the way, Nigeria is also the most corrupt nation in the world) and all the government ever talks about is anti-corruption! it's as if the more they talk about it, the worse it gets. maybe they should stop talking about it and lets see what happens. TALK IS CHEAP!!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Missworld(f): 5:12pm On Sep 18, 2005
Honestly speaking, it could be true. Nigeria, "the Giant of Africa" ranked the 2nd poorest in the world
na wa ooooo. It sounds unbelievable but let's face it. What are we really good at?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 5:21pm On Sep 18, 2005
All I know for sure is that we are not the 2nd poorest. Infact, we are not even near the 1st 20 poorest nations in the world. By the way hipcaramel, we are the 2nd most corrupt! grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by NSNA: 11:04pm On Sep 18, 2005
When will Nigeria or Africa learn to stop listening to world banks and stuff like that. Those american diplomats are never in the interest of them. NSNA is thinking oba (african traditional ruler) rather dan presidents or why not let the genius boat inventors with base in downing street take control again.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 11:08pm On Sep 18, 2005
smiley
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Missworld(f): 4:55am On Sep 19, 2005
It's sure ain't rubbish! Mr. Right.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by Latoya(f): 5:53am On Sep 19, 2005
I dont think that statistics is right,what ever organisation that did the statistics is absolutly wrong,i guess they must be mixing Niger to be Nigeria cos they are pronunced the same way
Niger is the 2nd poorest country in the world according to BBC and CNN,not Nigeria.They are pronounced the same so people term to be confussed.Nigeria is like the number 21th in the world.We are not that poor u know,what do u say about other african countries like Somalia,sudan,ethiopia,serielone and so on,we are even richer that Ghana in the rear sense but statistically Ghana is more developed and richer than nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by NSNA: 9:00am On Sep 19, 2005
@ Missworld, do you want to know the absolute truth about African poverty, it has received a boost over the past decades by the likes of CNN and sky news. I don't think i have to explain why!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by obong(m): 2:11pm On Sep 19, 2005
so nigeria is poorer than liberia, sierra leone, and Niger? even somalia? something is wrong with this ranking
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by kazey(m): 5:09pm On Sep 19, 2005
Quite an Achievement , Kudos ......
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 6:40pm On Sep 19, 2005
I think they ranked Nigeria the 2nd poorest country mainly because of the corruption. nothing else, where there are lots of poor countries like sudan, niger.... so nigeria is one of the poorest too, oh i doubt it...
sad sad sad
This is extremely terrible..because what Nigeria is growing into doesnt worth it.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 6:57pm On Sep 19, 2005
All i know for sure is that Nigeria isn't even one of the first 50 poorest. For Christ's sake, there are over 190 countries in the world!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by hotangel2(f): 7:27pm On Sep 19, 2005
Will somebody just find an online statement already? Where's the source
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 8:08pm On Sep 19, 2005
Exactly hipcaramel, where is this from?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 10:36pm On Sep 19, 2005
abi oooo! undecided
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 10:39pm On Sep 19, 2005
go to nationmaster.com i used it for a school project in june and that's how i know nigeria's not 2nd. Nigeria's really poor though.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 10:46pm On Sep 19, 2005
ha ha wesley, really what are u saying again? you mean we are not even second? so what position? undecided
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 10:51pm On Sep 19, 2005
maybe 3rd wink
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 10:52pm On Sep 19, 2005
haaaaaaaaaaa, thas terrible ooooo angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 10:53pm On Sep 19, 2005
17th i think. 17th is still terrible considering the fact that there are hundreds of nations.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by goodguy(m): 10:56pm On Sep 19, 2005
yeah. I think Nigeria is richer than america sef rolleyes
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by WesleyanA(f): 10:57pm On Sep 19, 2005
no. not even close shocked
Re: Nigeria Ranked 2nd Poorest Nation in the World by queen2(f): 10:57pm On Sep 19, 2005
WesleyanA:

17th i think. 17th is still terrible considering the fact that there are hundreds of nations.
gosh, wonders shall never end.   shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Confinement Saga: Governor Chime’s Wife Makes a U-Turn, Begs for Forgiveness / Rotimi Amaechi Submitting Himself To Security Checks By Arik Air - Photos / Sanwo-Olu: Igbo Man Will Be Governor Of Lagos One Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.