Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers (29822 Views)

Where Can L Download Lgbo Highlife Music From? / Who Is Nigeria's King Of Highlife Music? / Classic Highlife Music (this Is Old School) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by laudate: 3:14am On Aug 03, 2014
polarman: I am really surprised to see this thread. It shows that many people are getting more matured at heart. Highlife music is a real great genre. I have seen many greats but we have forgotten THE GREATS of highlife. Do you remember names like E.C Arinze, Tunde Osofisan (still lives in Festac,if my memories are still sharp), The late Zeal Onya (The trumpeter of great repute), Y.S Akinbo (Fela's Saxophonist of Ojuelegba) - he plays some beautiful highlife, Ambrose Campbell (of the Oh Bladi, Oh Blada song, still alive in USA), E.T Mensah (the King of Ghana Highlife), Bobby Benson (Ikorodu man with a large presence in Fadeyi Area of lagos).

The Pre- and Early Independence years were the Highlife era but the tides have changed to Hip-hop (where everyone hips and hops to music). A horns man so i know why i have spoken about these greats.

Thank you, thank you for recalling these great old men of music. Do you still remember Bobby Benson's song "Taxi Driver?" cool
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by ceaser: 3:41am On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop: Interesting...I love highlife and as a matter of fact am an 100% Old skool person and don't belong to the 21st century kind of music(musics that doesn't last maximum 6months no one hears of it again). My favourites are musics from my DRC brothers and so many other African music not necessarily Nigerian artiste. The below are some of my favourite artist that i have their albums right from the 60's till date:

(1) Koffi Olomide
(2) Franco Luambo Makiadi AKA OK'Jazz
(3) Bopol Mansiamina
(4) Nyboma
(5) Doctor Nico
(6) Monique Seka
(7) Diblo Dibala
(cool Tchico Tchicaya
(9) Freddy de Majunga
(10) Jean Baron(Et Le Groupe Loketo)
(11) Aurlus Mabele
(12) Mbilia Bel
(13)Zaiko Langa Langa
Etc Etc Etc cheesy grin

I have two tracks of Mbilia bel. "Boya ye" and another which I can't remember now
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:04am On Aug 03, 2014
peppyluv02: Kam we nye gi warning. Hapum aka akporom gi asi!
Go and meet your gay partner kalvan tongue

Njiri gi aka? Ihe Orlando choro wu ka mu na gi me ka ndi anyi (Yoruba na Igbo) bi n'udo. Mu na gi we ike me ya. Biko, Peppy m.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:21am On Aug 03, 2014
makazona:

thank u sir.please teach me. cz i am willing to learn from the master like you
I'm not a master. I'm also a learner. All said was that some names on your list are not highlife musicians. Onyeka Onwenu, Sikiru Ayinde Barrister, Ebenezer Obey, etc. Barrister and Obey play fuji and juju respectively. While juju is closely related to highlife, fuji is quite different because of its use of majorly percussions. Juju could be defined as an advanced stage of highlife. Obey and Sunny Ade who are popular with it are known for using multiple guitar. Can you imagine a band playing with two bass, a lead, a Haiwan guitar, a steel guitar, a pedal guitar? Sometimes in all, there could be up to 6-8 guitarists.

Fela was not a highlife musician but afrobeat. Though when he started he was singing highlife (Oni dodo oni moi moi), he later switched to jazz when he introduced multiple horns. This was where Rex Lawson had problem with, asking to choose whether he belonged to highlife or jazz, not fusing both.
I realize that some of us Yoruba and Igbo mistake songs in our native language for highlife.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by makazona(m): 8:37am On Aug 03, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
I'm not a master. I'm also a learner. All said was that some names on your list are not highlife musicians. Onyeka Onwenu, Sikiru Ayinde Barrister, Ebenezer Obey, etc. Barrister and Obey play fuji and juju respectively. While juju is closely related to highlife, fuji is quite different because of its use of majorly percussions. Juju could be defined as an advanced stage of highlife. Obey and Sunny Ade who are popular with it are known for using multiple guitar. Can you imagine a band playing with two bass, a lead, a Haiwan guitar, a steel guitar, a pedal guitar? Sometimes in all, there could be up to 6-8 guitarists.

Fela was not a highlife musician but afrobeat. Though when he started he was singing highlife (Oni dodo oni moi moi), he later switched to jazz when he introduced multiple horns. This was where Rex Lawson had problem with, asking to choose whether he belonged to highlife or jazz, not fusing both.
I realize that some of us Yoruba and Igbo mistake songs in our native language for highlife.

thanks a million.but remember,they were also highlife style genres/sub genres.or better put highlife baptized.so nt wrong to be loosely grouped together sir
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Onyiibazz: 8:57am On Aug 03, 2014
LeoFish92:
then I'd call you my master, haven't been that long in music, since last year

Lol, master ke? Me still be boy o!
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Onyiibazz: 8:59am On Aug 03, 2014
makazona:

dats true.i gat my guys too in NSK too.i grew and played in Enugu till NYSC took me out sha

So you're serving currently? Am stil in NSK sha, school things!
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 03, 2014
Oh! You want me and you to bring peace between Igbos and yorubas? But you are the chief tribalist on this forum and your partner kalvan tongue won't stop following me...

OrlandoOwoh:
Njiri gi aka? Ihe Orlando choro wu ka mu na gi me ka ndi anyi (Yoruba na Igbo) bi n'udo. Mu na gi we ike me ya. Biko, Peppy m.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:04am On Aug 03, 2014
peppyluv02: Oh! You want me and you to bring peace between Igbos and yorubas? But you are the chief tribalist on this forum and your partner kalvan tongue won't stop following me...

You and I can. Peppyluv02 m, o 6 o'clock mass ki i je?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 03, 2014
Hmmm how did you know I went for 6am mass?

OrlandoOwoh:
You and I can. Peppyluv02 m, o 6 o'clock mass ki i je?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:16am On Aug 03, 2014
makazona:

thanks a million.but remember,they were also highlife style genres/sub genres.or better put highlife baptized.so nt wrong to be loosely grouped together sir
I group highlife into two types, guitar and horn. The guitar highlife (also known as palmwine highlife) is the type where the guitars are used to produce strong rythm. Orlando Owoh, Olive de Coque, Victor Uwaifo, Ralph Amarabem etc. The horn is made up of trumpets, trombones, sax, clarinet, etc. Osita Osadebe, Rex Lawson, Victor Olaiya, etc are in this category. Mike Ejeagha plays both. In "Onye Ori Utaba" he played palm wine but in "Onye Imkpesa" he played horn.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by makazona(m): 10:16am On Aug 03, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
I group highlife into two types, guitar and horn. The guitar highlife (also known as palmwine highlife) is the type where the guitars are used to produce strong rythm. Orlando Owoh, Olive de Coque, Victor Uwaifo, Ralph Amarabem etc. The horn is made up of trumpets, trombones, sax, clarinet, etc. Osita Osadebe, Rex Lawson, Victor Olaiya, etc are in this category. Mike Ejeagha plays both. In "Onye Ori Utaba" he played palm wine but in "Onye Imkpesa" he played horn.

now u are there.meanwhile it seems u are multilingual.am i correct or cowrong
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by makazona(m): 10:19am On Aug 03, 2014
Onyiibazz:

So you're serving currently? Am stil in NSK sha, school things!

No am through with my service (batch B,2013).but working where i served
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Onyiibazz: 10:52am On Aug 03, 2014
makazona:

No am through with my service (batch B,2013).but working where i served

That kul, good to know you're working!
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by GudluckIBB(m): 11:15am On Aug 03, 2014
ceaser:

I have two tracks of Mbilia bel. "Boya ye" and another which I can't remember now

Mbillia bell is one of the biggest female musicians in Africa. she has wonderful tracks like boya ye which you just mentioned
I have over 30 tracks of mbilia bell and I can tell you she is a genius.she was once a back up singer to tabu ley who later married her and produced ht tracks for her.try and listen to" MARIO" I'm Sure you will hate the likes of tonto dike after listening to that track.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by GudluckIBB(m): 11:29am On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop: Interesting...I love highlife and as a matter of fact am an 100% Old skool person and don't belong to the 21st century kind of music(musics that doesn't last maximum 6months no one hears of it again). My favourites are musics from my DRC brothers and so many other African music not necessarily Nigerian artiste. The below are some of my favourite artist that i have their albums right from the 60's till date:

Happy sunday bro.pls I don't know if you have djanka diabate and the track is tote.

(1) Koffi Olomide
(3) Bopol Mansiamina
(4) Nyboma
(5) Doctor Nico
(6) Monique Seka
(7) Diblo Dibala
(cool Tchico Tchicaya
(9) Freddy de Majunga
(11) Aurlus Mabele
(12) Mbilia Bel
(13)Zaiko Langa Langa
Etc Etc Etc cheesy grin

Happy sunda bro.pls I don't know if you have djanka diabate with the title Tote.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:31am On Aug 03, 2014
peppyluv02: Hmmm how did you know I went for 6am mass?

Something inside me. Cheregodi, i me ekpere na Orlando?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:33am On Aug 03, 2014
makazona:

now u are there.meanwhile it seems u are multilingual.am i correct or cowrong
I listen to good music.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 12:06pm On Aug 03, 2014
GudluckIBB:

Happy sunda bro.pls I don't know if you have djanka diabate with the title Tote.

[b]Happy Sunday my brother. Djanka Diabate is from Guinea and a fantastic artist. However i do not have that track. I forgot that my nairaland e-mail address is not accessible so that's why i couldn't PM you. But i want to reveal a secret to you on how you can get any type of music in the world but the rule of the site is that you must be ready to share files with members i.e as you are downloading music from other members,they can as well download the ones you have. If interested,send me your e-mail address and i will e-mail you.

You will agree with me that it's very difficult to get Franco alias OK Jazz albums in the open market mostly the very good ones but i was able to get over 100 tracks of that guys music online same with Koffi Olomide. Even when i chatted with him(Koffi Olomide) online and i mentioned some tracks to him he smiled and ask how i got them since am not even in DRC. Most of my musics are gotten online and am up to date. I have no interest in Nigerian music apart from High life that's why you cannot see me buying Tuface,P square,D banj,etc because their music do not last. Imagine OK Jazz that reigned in the 60's,70's,80's and he died 1989 but till date anytime i slot in OK Jazz CD to play,people that knows good music wants to associate with me. [/b]
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 03, 2014
Don't understand...

OrlandoOwoh:
Something inside me. Cheregodi, i me ekpere na Orlando?
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 12:21pm On Aug 03, 2014
ceaser:

Ok that's cool. Mbilia Bel's albums are fantastic as well. She became very famous when she was collaborating with Tabu-Ley/After they married.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:44pm On Aug 03, 2014
peppyluv02: Don't understand...

I don't understand either, you may explain to me.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by GudluckIBB(m): 3:09pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop:

[b]Happy Sunday my brother. Djanka Diabate is from Guinea and a fantastic artist. However i do not have that track. I forgot that my nairaland e-mail address is not accessible so that's why i couldn't PM you. But i want to reveal a secret to you on how you can get any type of music in the world but the rule of the site is that you must be ready to share files with members i.e as you are downloading music from other members,they can as well download the ones you have. If interested,send me your e-mail address and i will e-mail you.

You will agree with me that it's very difficult to get Franco alias OK Jazz albums in the open market mostly the very good ones but i was able to get over 100 tracks of that guys music online same with Koffi Olomide. Even when i chatted with him(Koffi Olomide) online and i mentioned some tracks to him he smiled and ask how i got them since am not even in DRC. Most of my musics are gotten online and am up to date. I have no interest in Nigerian music apart from High life that's why you cannot see me buying Tuface,P square,D banj,etc because their music do not last. Imagine OK Jazz that reigned in the 60's,70's,80's and he died 1989 but till date anytime i slot in OK Jazz CD to play,people that knows good music wants to associate with me. [/b]

Ok I will send u an e mail address tomorrow.I will have to create one tomorrow and send to you.I'm just been careful of yahoo boys no laptop in nairaland if not I wud have sent my email to u now. Tomorrow I will do just
Thanks bro
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 3:10pm On Aug 03, 2014
GudluckIBB:

Ok I will send u an e mail address tomorrow.I will have to create one tomorrow and send to you.I'm just been careful of yahoo boys no laptop in nairaland if not I wud have sent my email to u now. Tomorrow I will do just
Thanks bro

Ok no problem...do you know about the Togolese artist Nimon Toki Lala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgvHrjSHBRE
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by GudluckIBB(m): 4:35pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eyop:

Ok no problem...do you know about the Togolese artist Nimon Toki Lala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgvHrjSHBRE

I heard his song sometime on voa sometime ago
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by etebefia: 4:36pm On Aug 03, 2014
someone help me with any of these tracks, 1 AIYE LE BY either, orlando owoh, or ik dairo (am not really sure we made the song, 2. I BELIEVE BY nelly uchendu, 3 THINGS FALL APART SOUNDTRACK By nelly uchendu.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 5:15pm On Aug 03, 2014

(1) Koffi Olomide
(3) Bopol Mansiamina
(4) Nyboma
(5) Doctor Nico
(6) Monique Seka
(7) Diblo Dibala
(cool Tchico Tchicaya
(9) Freddy de Majunga
(11) Aurlus Mabele
(12) Mbilia Bel
(13)Zaiko Langa Langa
Etc Etc Etc cheesy grin
I love your collections too and I had almost every single album of all of them, but they are not highlife. They are Rumba/Soukous in genre terms.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 5:16pm On Aug 03, 2014
makazona: Some Highlife music Notables.

Bright Chimezie, Bobby Benson,Bongus Ikwue
Celestine Ukwu,Gentleman Mike Ejeagha
Chris Mba,Ebenezer Obey,Edu Ghana,Fatai Rolling Dollar,Fela Kuti(later to afro beat),I.k.Dairo, Ali Chukwuma,Jonezz,Mike Okorie
Ikenga Super Stars,Paulson Kalu,St.Augustine,Inyang Henshaw
King Robert Ebizimor,Lagbaja,Nelly Uchendu,Okukuseku
Oliver De Coque,Onyeka Onwenu,Orlando Owoh,Oriental Brothers
Osita Osadebe,Peacock Band,Rex Lawson, Professional Seagulls
Sikiru Ayinde Barrister,Sonny Okosun, King SunnyAde
Victor Olaiya,Victor Uwaifo, Prince NicoMbarga
Dr Sir Warrior, Babá Ken Okulolo, smart williams,Ogbogu Okonji,Lawrence Obusi,Jerry Hansen,Obuoba J.A Adofo,Mame Gyaisu.

Feel free to add yours.
Onyeka Onwenu doesn't play highlife. You can call her music, Nigeria or African pop. Sonny Okosun plays no highlife, he plays also afropop of afrobeat.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eyop: 5:20pm On Aug 03, 2014
Eziachi:
I love your collections too and I had almost every single album of all of them, but they are not highlife. They are Rumba/Soukous in genre terms.

@ Eziachi i appreciate your comment. Well it depends on how your classify them but i still see them as highlife but the proper genre as you rightly said is either Soukous,Rumba,Zouk,etc. E.g Koffi Olomide is the King of Rumba,Monique seka and pierette Adams falls under Zouk/soukouss depending on the track played.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 5:21pm On Aug 03, 2014
newguy1: Ebenezer obe n king sunny ade did d deeds 4 me men asin y growing up.can do without listening 2dem daily. Shout out 2 maself 4 making ma first fp.wait o sunny ade na juju him dey sing?
Ebenezer Obey started with highlife (e.g Bebemi Oluwa) but later branched into full Juju genre. Sunny Ade was Juju from day one.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 5:24pm On Aug 03, 2014
isaco: I am a gospel highlife artist myself, I have my own Album presently on video, I perform in any occasion. I love highlife artist like Orlando Owo, Ebenezer Obey, KSA, Shina peters, Oliver , Bright chimeze, watch my videos www.youtube.com/my_videos?guid=&hl=en&gl=DE&client=mv-google
Only Orlando Owo and Oliver de coque among your list can be called highlife. Bright Chimezie plays Rumba, a slight copy of congolese rumba but he chose to call it zigima.
Re: A Thread For Highlife Music Lovers by Eziachi: 5:28pm On Aug 03, 2014
Lanceslot: Osedebe, Oliver de Coque, Emeka Morocco, Ozoemene Nsugbe; The man that sang 'ada na egbu azu' ...... I enjoy listening to highlife more than our circular music.
Morocco and Ozoemena Nsugbe plays folklore or egwu Ekpili or ekpiri, its not highlife. Oliver started with folklore in the 60s in Aba, but abandoned it in 1976 when he embraced and branched into the highlife genre, after learning how to play guitar.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Word SHOKI Its Meaning / American Military Officers Perform Ayra Starr’s Rush (video) / Naira Marley’s 'Soapy' Ranked Most Played Song In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.