Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? (3841 Views)

Why Is Camry Aka Big Daddy 04-05 More Expensive Than EOD Same Year? / Lexus Jeep RX300 (2000 Model) Or Toyota Corolla (2003 model Which One Is Better? / Toyota Corolla 2007/2008 Model Or Hyundai Accent Brand New (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 02, 2014
Hello peeps I'm about to get. Non-naija used car( my 1st car) that will be reliable, and fairly good with fuel economy.

*im naturally predisposed to the manual tranny though, and I have heard ugly. Things about the 406 car, some people have even told me to budget 8-15k on monthly servicing

*i will be truthful, I think I'll want the 406,but. Can it serve as an everyday car without throwing up unforseen issues?
Please throw in your sincere views
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 02, 2014
41 views,yet I get no reply.....where are my gurus?
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Ikenna351(m): 4:13pm On Aug 02, 2014
tooltip: Hello peeps I'm about to get. Non-naija used car( my 1st car) that will be reliable, and fairly good with fuel economy.

*im naturally predisposed to the manual tranny though, and I have heard ugly. Things about the 406 car, some people have even told me to budget 8-15k on monthly servicing

*i will be truthful, I think I'll want the 406,but. Can it serve as an everyday car without throwing up unforseen issues?
Please throw in your sincere views

8-15k monthly service? What for? Seeking information from wrong people is what kills success in life. Its like seeking an advice from someone who has failed JAMB several times on how to write and pass JAMB exam. Or someone who wants to start a transport business, seeking advice from one that failed in the business or have no knowledge on how to successfully run the business, rather than go to ABC and Peace Transport company managers to tap from their knowledge on the business.

There were months I have driven my Peugeot 406 V6 manual without spending a dime other than fueling. How much do you think I spend in fueling the Lion? A V6 for that matter?

I have been busy since morning and I need to take care of my stomach now, because nothing has visited it since morning. Lol! Anyway, will try and explain what you need to know about the Lion you are interesting when I am back. But you can visit Peugeot house and find all that you asked for there.

Ikenna
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Itulah(m): 4:35pm On Aug 02, 2014
Go for Camry and save yourself from trouble.

2 Likes

Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 02, 2014
Ikenna351:

8-15k monthly service? What for? Seeking information from wrong people is what kills success in life. Its like seeking an advice from someone who has failed JAMB several times on how to write and pass JAMB exam. Or someone who wants to start a transport business, seeking advice from one that failed in the business or have no knowledge on how to successfully run the business, rather than go to ABC and Peace Transport company managers to tap from their knowledge on the business.

There were months I have driven my Peugeot 406 V6 manual without spending a dime other than fueling. How much do you think I spend in fueling the Lion? A V6 for that matter?

I have been busy since morning and I need to take care of my stomach now, because nothing has visited it since morning. Lol! Anyway, will try and explain what you need to know about the Lion you are interesting when I am back. But you can visit Peugeot house and find all that you asked for there.

Ikenna
the peugout boss! I await you while I read up!....thanks man!
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Ikenna351(m): 5:23pm On Aug 02, 2014
tooltip: the peugout boss! I await you while I read up!....thanks man!

Ok. I was so hungry that I overfed myself. Lol!

So, I need to rest before I can gather strength to type.

Speaking of Peugeot 406, I have actually treated a similar thread. Find below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1832246/camry-big-daddy-peuguot-406

If you have more questions to ask on Peugeot 406, fire on.

Ikenna
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 02, 2014
Ikenna351:

Ok. I was so hungry that I overfed myself. Lol!

So, I need to rest before I can gather strength to type.

Speaking of Peugeot 406, I have actually treated a similar thread. Find below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1832246/camry-big-daddy-peuguot-406

If you have more questions to ask on Peugeot 406, fire on.

Ikenna
hahaha!, where is all the food going to,biko.....its not showing, I guess we are alike in that aspect, I have 3 major questions about the 406 car, 1)which model year will be best to get,as I will be pre-ordering from europe, 01,02,03?, I understand it has to be a D9, EW10 engine from the other thread , should I also be scared of mileage above 170,000KM ?(2)please throw more light on routine maintainance and possible cost of major spares,( brake pad,oil type, oil filter,shocks,etc) I heard you mention something about it being pricey and sometimes scarce (3)reliability and fuel economy: car has to be a daily driver,long distance inclusive, can this beast take this on? (4)everywhere I go,I hear 406 electricals na die, please what electrical issues should I look out for or are likely/prone to occur and how can these be COST-EFFECTIVELY checked....lol, I just realized its not a car for the faint-hearted..... many of us are interested in peugout,because you care to talk about it...cheers!
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Ikenna351(m): 9:54pm On Aug 02, 2014
tooltip: hahaha!, where is all the food going to,biko.....its not showing, I guess we are alike in that aspect, I have 3 major questions about the 406 car, 1)which model year will be best to get,as I will be pre-ordering from europe, 01,02,03?, I understand it has to be a D9, EW10 engine from the other thread , should I also be scared of mileage above 170,000KM ?(2)please throw more light on routine maintainance and possible cost of major spares,( brake pad,oil type, oil filter,shocks,etc) I heard you mention something about it being pricey and sometimes scarce (3)reliability and fuel economy: car has to be a daily driver,long distance inclusive, can this beast take this on? (4)everywhere I go,I hear 406 electricals na die, please what electrical issues should I look out for or are likely/prone to occur and how can these be COST-EFFECTIVELY checked....lol, I just realized its not a car for the faint-hearted..... many of us are interested in peugout,because you care to talk about it...cheers!

1. Any D9 is ok, as long as it has BSI unit, because not all D9 have BSI. Some early D9 (1999-2000) don't have BSI unit. There is a way one can tell the ones that don't have. But all 2001-2010 have BSI. You need the BSI to enjoy the best security the unit offers. All EW engines (7, 10 & 12) are good, depending on how quicker you want your Lion to be. Mileage is unimportant for 406. How neatly it was used and religiously maintained should be your concern. Difference is that on one with high mileage, the bushings will be failing gradually. Also, if the Lion does not have log book, replace the timing belt immediately as soon as you get her. EW engine timing belt cost 7k (Gates). Check if the idlers and tensioner are ok when you bring out the belt. If ok, reuse them until you can source for them, probably online or outside Nigeria, since they are not available here (new ones). But stated in the EW & ES9 engine workshop manuals that these idlers and tensioners can be reused, as long as they are ok when checked, and they illustrated how to check them. But its ideal to change everything so that you won't go there for a very long time. The water pump is inclusive. The timing belt is to be renewed every 80,000 km or 6 years for EW engine. While for ES9 engine (V6), the renewal is 120,000 km or every 8 years. The V6 timing belt (Gates) cost about 13k.

2. Front brake brake pad cost between 2k - 15k, depending on your pocket and how genuine you want to go. For all petrol engines in 406, use the recommended oil : TOTAL Quartz 7000 (synthetic based) 15W-50 or TOTAL Quartz 9000 (fully synthetic) 5W-40. Oil filter brand is Purflux. We have N500 & 1k filter. 406 shock absorbers hardly fail. So that shouldn't bother you. Though the front ones in V6 fail often due to heavy weight of the engine. A tokunbo front shock absorber cost 5k with the spring. Rear ones hardly fail as well. Genuine new shocks are pricey, but available.

3. Peugeot cars are known for long distance animals. So 406 is not excluded. They are mile eaters. Fuel economy is fantastic. A full fuel tank (70 litres) will do over 700 km, if driven sensibly. Reliability? One of the best.

4. The electric is very good but will give you nightmares the moment you start abusing it, because its complex system, but simple when you understand it like I do now. To avoid the abuse, get a Diagbox (PP2000 & Citroën), a tool designed for troubleshooting and repairing PSA cars. It cost 25k now. If you are interested, I will link you to the seller. You either get the PP2000 or be ready to be paying for PP2000 session on the Lion whenever something goes wrong. If you take it where guess work or trial & error troubleshooting method is used, don't blame the Lion when your nightmare starts, blame yourself instead.

I helped a friend purchased a D9 in 2012. This guy travels every now and then with this Lion and use it as daily driver (only car). Yet, the last time he visited Abuja with the Lion, the only thing he said he has replaced so far were brake pads, battery and the regular engine oil renewal. This car came with over 140k km when I got her for him. I got mine 160k+ km. Now its 170k+ km. But I prefer using others for example, so that people don't think my D9 is reliable because I am technical. But people forget that if something fails, I will still have to replace it. So those parts don't fail as people lie about, what makes them unreliable then?

Finally, get a clean D9 and you are stuck in Lion brand. But abuse it, you will join the club of Lion haters.

Ikenna

5 Likes

Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by sultaan(m): 10:24pm On Aug 02, 2014
Which one will be stolen first among the 2?
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 02, 2014
sultaan: Which one will be stolen first among the 2?
cheesy see komment..

1 Like

Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
sultaan: Which one will be stolen first among the 2?

I would say the Toyota Camry.
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by yungboss(m): 11:16pm On Aug 02, 2014
There's someone I know whose Camry was stolen while he was watching football, 2 months ago. 1997/8 model year.
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Frankdamaxx(m): 9:28pm On Aug 03, 2014
The way they steal camry 2.2 is like magic. Even 4 months down the line you won't believe your car was stolen.

It's as easy as parking it and voila! It disappears.
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by ichema4u(m): 1:19pm On Aug 05, 2014
Ikenna351:

1. Any D9 is ok, as long as it has BSI unit, because not all D9 have BSI. Some early D9 (1999-2000) don't have BSI unit. There is a way one can tell the ones that don't have. But all 2001-2010 have BSI. You need the BSI to enjoy the best security the unit offers. All EW engines (7, 10 & 12) are good, depending on how quicker you want your Lion to be. Mileage is unimportant for 406. How neatly it was used and religiously maintained should be your concern. Difference is that on one with high mileage, the bushings will be failing gradually. Also, if the Lion does not have log book, replace the timing belt immediately as soon as you get her. EW engine timing belt cost 7k (Gates). Check if the idlers and tensioner are ok when you bring out the belt. If ok, reuse them until you can source for them, probably online or outside Nigeria, since they are not available here (new ones). But stated in the EW & ES9 engine workshop manuals that these idlers and tensioners can be reused, as long as they are ok when checked, and they illustrated how to check them. But its ideal to change everything so that you won't go there for a very long time. The water pump is inclusive. The timing belt is to be renewed every 80,000 km or 6 years for EW engine. While for ES9 engine (V6), the renewal is 120,000 km or every 8 years. The V6 timing belt (Gates) cost about 13k.

2. Front brake brake pad cost between 2k - 15k, depending on your pocket and how genuine you want to go. For all petrol engines in 406, use the recommended oil : TOTAL Quartz 7000 (synthetic based) 15W-50 or TOTAL Quartz 9000 (fully synthetic) 5W-40. Oil filter brand is Purflux. We have N500 & 1k filter. 406 shock absorbers hardly fail. So that shouldn't bother you. Though the front ones in V6 fail often due to heavy weight of the engine. A tokunbo front shock absorber cost 5k with the spring. Rear ones hardly fail as well. Genuine new shocks are pricey, but available.

3. Peugeot cars are known for long distance animals. So 406 is not excluded. They are mile eaters. Fuel economy is fantastic. A full fuel tank (70 litres) will do over 700 km, if driven sensibly. Reliability? One of the best.

4. The electric is very good but will give you nightmares the moment you start abusing it, because its complex system, but simple when you understand it like I do now. To avoid the abuse, get a Diagbox (PP2000 & Citroën), a tool designed for troubleshooting and repairing PSA cars. It cost 25k now. If you are interested, I will link you to the seller. You either get the PP2000 or be ready to be paying for PP2000 session on the Lion whenever something goes wrong. If you take it where guess work or trial & error troubleshooting method is used, don't blame the Lion when your nightmare starts, blame yourself instead.

I helped a friend purchased a D9 in 2012. This guy travels every now and then with this Lion and use it as daily driver (only car). Yet, the last time he visited Abuja with the Lion, the only thing he said he has replaced so far were brake pads, battery and the regular engine oil renewal. This car came with over 140k km when I got her for him. I got mine 160k+ km. Now its 170k+ km. But I prefer using others for example, so that people don't think my D9 is reliable because I am technical. But people forget that if something fails, I will still have to replace it. So those parts don't fail as people lie about, what makes them unreliable then?

Finally, get a clean D9 and you are stuck in Lion brand. But abuse it, you will join the club of Lion haters.

Ikenna

your making me love Lion the more.
i'm still looking for a Good 406 Lion from 2001 and above with a price tag of N700k , good body and may be foreign used...
is that possible ?
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by derickivben: 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2014
Can I have your number? @Ikenna
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by AutosBay(m): 2:13pm On Nov 24, 2014
Personally, I'm not a fan of either brand. But if I had to make a choice, I'd pick the facelift Toyota Camry over a Peugeot 406, especially one that's got "gasket" issues. A blown headgasket could also mean a warped / cracked cylinder head, and a cracked block. No way to find out till it's all stripped down. And if you decide to call it a day at this stage, you'll still be stuck with labour charges.

Modern Peugeot are no more robust than the average modern Korean car. The last of the true bullet-proof Peugeot were the RWD 504, 505 and 604. The current crop of FWD cars are just a pale reminder of what strengths Peugeot possessed up to the mid-'80's.

Don't feel the seller may see you as doubting his integrity, if you're not sure there are other issues bar the head gasket. This is your money, and your sanity at stake here. Nigerians have sold out their friends and family for less, so big deal. I wouldn't touch that car, and I would definitely go for the Toyota Camry. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by gambus007(m): 3:22pm On Nov 24, 2014
@Ikenna i like your write up.please what can you say about Peugeot 307(2004) EW10 2.o manual gear? i do not know anything about Peugeot.am thinking of getting one car soonest.which of the Peugeot 307 is the best Year and engine?i dont like V6.am after cheap maintenance.with less electrical problem. i dont want to experience any electrical issues just like my chevrolet optra sold out anyway.atleast OP will benefit frm my question .Thank you.
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Ikenna351(m): 4:16pm On Nov 24, 2014
gambus007:
@Ikenna i like your write up.please what can you say about Peugeot 307(2004) EW10 2.o manual gear? i do not know anything about Peugeot.am thinking of getting one car soonest.which of the Peugeot 307 is the best Year and engine?i dont like V6.am after cheap maintenance.with less electrical problem. i dont want to experience any electrical issues just like my chevrolet optra sold out anyway.atleast OP will benefit frm my question .Thank you.

EW10 engine is one of the best engines Peugeot ever produced, to the point that they mounted it on their Lions for more than a decade as they produce newer ones. Even the current brand Lion, 408, has the EW10 engine, though a revised one (EW10A+).

I would prefer an EW10 engine in 307 than TU engine, which most 307 come with.

Electricals of Lions depends on how you treat them. If you abuse your Lions electrical, it will deal with you mercilessly. Lions are not for those that lack good maintenance culture or those who dont value what they have. If you treat a Lion like a Queen, she will treat you like a King. No joke! My 2 Lions are V6 and I enjoy every minute i spend in them. Its hard sometimes to pick the one to use for a week. Each sets smiles on my face, each time i gear them into action. Simply put, they are Cars! With Attitude!

Meanwhile, you need the Peugeot starter pack/DVD to understand more about Lions and how to keep her in good shape when you finally get one. Find the link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1942595/dvd-how-prevent-breakdown-expensive

Ikenna
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Ikenna351(m): 4:27pm On Nov 24, 2014
derickivben:
Can I have your number? @Ikenna

My phone number is on my signature. But here it is anyway: 08052811236.
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by gambus007(m): 4:41pm On Nov 24, 2014
Ikenna351:

EW10 engine is one of the best engines Peugeot ever produced, to the point that they mounted it on their Lions for more than a decade as they produce newer ones. Even the current brand Lion, 408, has the EW10 engine, though a revised one (EW10A+).

I would prefer an EW10 engine in 307 than TU engine, which most 307 come with.

Electricals of Lions depends on how you treat them. If you abuse your Lions electrical, it will deal with you mercilessly. Lions are not for those that lack good maintenance culture or those who dont value what they have. If you treat a Lion like a Queen, she will treat you like a King. No joke! My 2 Lions are V6 and I enjoy every minute i spend in them. Its hard sometimes to pick the one to use for a week. Each sets smiles on my face, each time i gear them into action. Simply put, they are Cars! With Attitude!

Meanwhile, you need the Peugeot starter pack/DVD to understand more about Lions and how to keep her in good shape when you finally get one. Find the link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1942595/dvd-how-prevent-breakdown-expensive

Ikenna
Thank you so much.
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Ikenna351(m): 5:47pm On Nov 24, 2014
AutosBay:
Personally, I'm not a fan of either brand. But if I had to make a choice, I'd pick the facelift Toyota Camry over a Peugeot 406, especially one that's got "gasket" issues. A blown headgasket could also mean a warped / cracked cylinder head, and a cracked block. No way to find out till it's all stripped down. And if you decide to call it a day at this stage, you'll still be stuck with labour charges.

Modern Peugeot are no more robust than the average modern Korean car. The last of the true bullet-proof Peugeot were the RWD 504, 505 and 604. The current crop of FWD cars are just a pale reminder of what strengths Peugeot possessed up to the mid-'80's.

Don't feel the seller may see you as doubting his integrity, if you're not sure there are other issues bar the head gasket. This is your money, and your sanity at stake here. Nigerians have sold out their friends and family for less, so big deal. I wouldn't touch that car, and I would definitely go for the Toyota Camry. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Honestly, I cant make any sense from the above comment. Which post from Op mentioned the 406 he was interested in had "Head Gasket Issue"

About your comparison with modern Peugeots and Modern Korean cars? Seriously? Is that what "THEY"told you or what you "THINK"?

Ikenna
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Absoj(m): 10:03am On Nov 25, 2014
sultaan:
Which one will be stolen first among the 2?
My brother it's my beloved camry oo! I remember vividly in ondo state when a friend and I visited an auto electrician to amend defect in his 99 camry security system, I was dazed to see the guy going about the security as he was the one dat installed it. 'Afraid' catch me that day.As good as the vehicle is its always a prey to carjackers and vandals.
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Malawian(m): 10:05am On Nov 25, 2014
Ikenna351:

Honestly, I cant make any sense from the above comment. Which post from Op mentioned the 406 he was interested in had "Head Gasket Issue"

About your comparison with modern Peugeots and Modern Korean cars? Seriously? Is that what "THEY"told you or what you "THINK"?

Ikenna
bros, pls i dont know who banned me for breaking rule number 2. abeg i cant wait till december 13th to party with my hommies in the politics section. i dont even know what is that i said the broke the rule. kindly look into it. thamks.
Re: Which Should I Go For : Toyota Camry 01 Model or 406 Same Year? by Absoj(m): 10:24am On Nov 25, 2014
Camry is good and peugeot is better. But it could be the other way round if ure not a maintenance oriented person. I would advise u test drive a camry of that year model and also a similar year model of pug 406, I tell u, u'll feel the difference in handling. As reliable as toyota. Camry is, the shocks have always been an issue. I remember when advised to install an MB 190 spring to make d shocks last, but for where? Peugs are more comfortable over long distances and I think that's what accounts for its pronounced usage in the army. Very rarely will u see a military pilot car leading a convoy not being a peug. It holds sway on bad terrains,with very strong absorbers, it's rare to see breakdowns of the car in the military environment. though I'm not into it but the short time spent in the car is an experience that's worth commending Thank Gudness I'm into performance vehicle now-99 W202 kompressor, the drowsiness felt in camry over long distance cruises is no more.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Hybrid Does Not Start / Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst / My Toyota Corolla 2007 Model (bank Type) Vibrates At Between 110 - 120km/h

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.