Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Keeping The Sabbath - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Keeping The Sabbath (2785 Views)

Is Sunday Really The Sabbath Day? / Is It Sin For A Christain To Buy From A Non-practising Christain On The Sabbath? / The Sabbath -What day is this? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Keeping The Sabbath by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
Goshen360:

^ Take your copy and paste to people who will buy such lies. cheesy

Here's another copy and paste for you to buy but make sure that you don't sell it. tongue

"Look to Abraham your father, and to Sarah that bare you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him" (Isaiah 51:2)
Re: Keeping The Sabbath by Goshen360(m): 4:17pm On Aug 06, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Here's another copy and paste for you to buy but make sure that you don't sell it. tongue

"Look to Abraham your father, and to Sarah that bare you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him" (Isaiah 51:2)

That scripture is quite explanatory enough unless you need another copy and paste from your source to explain that scripture. grin
Re: Keeping The Sabbath by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
Goshen360:

That scripture is quite explanatory enough unless you need another copy and paste from your source to explain that scripture. grin

If that scripture is explanatory enough for you then go pay your tithes as Abraham did unless you are not a child of Abraham.
Re: Keeping The Sabbath by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:08am On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Words of Comfort: Keeping the Sabbath.

Scripture makes it clear that no one can be justified (made right with God) by keeping the Sabbath holy, or by keeping any other Commandment. All the Law does is bring the knowledge of sin to show us that we need a Saviour. Jesus fulfilled the demands of the Law, which means we can be made right with God through faith in Him alone (see Eph. 2:8,9). Believers now serve in the spirit, not the letter of the law, and the principle behind the Sabbath is this: Just as God created for six days then rested on the seventh, man is to work for six days and rest on the seventh—to cease working. Those who trust in Christ’s finished work on the cross have ceased trying to be justified through their own efforts and instead find their rest in Him. (See Heb. 4:3,10.) That is why keeping the Sabbath is a non-issue for Christians when it comes to eternal salvation. It is simply a matter of conscience. Christians have incredible liberty—no one can tell us what we must eat or drink, or what days we must observe.

www.NeedGod.com

Keeping the Sabbath?
Re: Keeping The Sabbath by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:18am On Sep 01, 2014
Does the Sabbath Still Apply?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drQH1syFsKw
Re: Keeping The Sabbath by Goshen360(m): 1:45am On Sep 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

If that scripture is explanatory enough for you then go pay your tithes as Abraham did unless you are not a child of Abraham.

You're one confused fellow I ever seen on earth. Quit copying different articles that makes you sit on the fence like you don't know what you're saying, talking from both sides of your mouth. Compare your articles with each other including what you just copied last up there. Isn't Sabbath part of the law of Moses that was done away with in Christ? You can let go Sabbath, but can't let go tithe. You teach Abraham tithe but still quote Malachi tithe to buttress Abraham tithe. Tell me, what law was Abraham following when he gave tithe?

Do you even know what Abraham stand to mean for Christians? He's father of them "who are of faith" and didn't functions as same father of the Jewish nation to Christians as he was. It is not everything Abraham did that we're to do as Christian except what is done in faith and of the faith, those who are justified by faith. Ola, the law is not of faith and the law worketh wrath. Go and sit down, flush out of your system everything the institutionalized church had ever taught you and stay with the Spirit of God, you will come to true revelation and simplicity of the gospel.

3 Likes

Re: Keeping The Sabbath by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:39pm On Sep 01, 2014
Goshen360:

You're one confused fellow I ever seen on earth. Quit copying different articles that makes you sit on the fence like you don't know what you're saying, talking from both sides of your mouth. Compare your articles with each other including what you just copied last up there. Isn't Sabbath part of the law of Moses that was done away with in Christ? You can let go Sabbath, but can't let go tithe. You teach Abraham tithe but still quote Malachi tithe to buttress Abraham tithe. Tell me, what law was Abraham following when he gave tithe?

What is this one yapping about? Who is talking about tithes here? Must you always convert every topic to anti tithes arguments? If you are fixated on not paying your tithes you know the appropriate thread to go to. Is tithes part of the 10 commandments addressed on this thread? Was tithes practised before the Law? Was tithes abolished anywhere in the NT? These are the questions you have to settle before you come here to troll. Whatever made Abraham to tithe is the same reason I tithe and if you are not a child of Abraham you need not bother to tithe. Period.

Goshen360:

Do you even know what Abraham stand to mean for Christians? He's father of them "who are of faith" and didn't functions as same father of the Jewish nation to Christians as he was. It is not everything Abraham did that we're to do as Christian except what is done in faith and of the faith, those who are justified by faith. Ola, the law is not of faith and the law worketh wrath. Go and sit down, flush out of your system everything the institutionalized church had ever taught you and stay with the Spirit of God, you will come to true revelation and simplicity of the gospel.

What made Abraham righteous in the sight of God is what makes those of us who follow after his steps righteous. Abraham paid tithes to Melchisedec and I pay tithes to our Lord Jesus Christ who is the High Priest after the order of Melchisedec. I tithe by grace and not by the Law of Moses. If you don't get that then pray for divine illumination.
Re: Keeping The Sabbath by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:51pm On May 22, 2015
Re: Keeping The Sabbath by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:18pm On Oct 24, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Words of Comfort: Keeping the Sabbath.

Scripture makes it clear that no one can be justified (made right with God) by keeping the Sabbath holy, or by keeping any other Commandment. All the Law does is bring the knowledge of sin to show us that we need a Saviour. Jesus fulfilled the demands of the Law, which means we can be made right with God through faith in Him alone (see Eph. 2:8,9). Believers now serve in the spirit, not the letter of the law, and the principle behind the Sabbath is this: Just as God created for six days then rested on the seventh, man is to work for six days and rest on the seventh—to cease working. Those who trust in Christ’s finished work on the cross have ceased trying to be justified through their own efforts and instead find their rest in Him. (See Heb. 4:3,10.) That is why keeping the Sabbath is a non-issue for Christians when it comes to eternal salvation. It is simply a matter of conscience. Christians have incredible liberty—no one can tell us what we must eat or drink, or what days we must observe.

www.NeedGod.com

Bumped. cool
Re: Keeping The Sabbath by Splinz(m): 8:53pm On Oct 24, 2016
Hello OLAADEGBU, how are you my brother? I've not heard from you since our last discussion here https://www.nairaland.com/3323018/sunday-christian-sabbath/4#50369542.

Yes, I saw some of your comments below. And as usual, I felt deeply disturbed and worried because of the falsehood or misunderstanding it portrays, which is what I want us to correct.

OLAADEGBU:

The Sabbath given to the Jews was a ceremonial law and Jesus has fulfilled all ceremonial laws and ordinances when He died on the Cross. The Sabbath was given as a sign to Israel (read Exodus 31:13-17). If you study your Bible you will discover that the Sabbath has not been given as a sign to the Church. For millenniums after this commandment was given to Israel we can still see the sign that separates Israel from other nations, they continue to keep the Sabbath holy till this day.

I don't know why you keep on making the mistake of saying the Sabbath was given to the Jews when it is evident that the Sabbath was created right after Adam and Eve (Genesis 2:1-3). This occurred over 2,000 years before the first Jew (the man named Judah) was born. The Sabbath was never merely for the Jews, or ancient Israel. The Sabbath was made “for man”—first, for Adam and Eve in the Garden, and for all other men ever after. Why are you finding it so difficult to come to terms with the truth

And what is it that you mean when you say Jesus has fulfilled the Law—that we're freed from it—Jesus kept them on our behalf? Wow! Then if the "laws has been nailed to the cross", let us kill, fornicate, steal, blaspheme etc. After all, haven't we been set free from its bondage? SMH for this kind of delusion! John 18:18, "And a ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?". Notice Jesus reply in verse 20, "You know the commandments.......". Jesus never said, "Well, I would have tell you to keep the commandments. But since that's what I'm here to keep in your stead, just believe in my soon-to-be sacrifice". No! Instead, Jesus reminded this man of the commandments and also went on to recount some of them to him! Now, coming to Matthew 19:17 of this same account, Jesus was even more direct here when He said, "....if you would enter life, keep the commandments".

Oh! You may say "Jesus actually gave us a new commandment, which is LOVE". And so—what is love? 1 John 5:3, "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome". Love is the commandment and the commandment is love! But haven't you been saying that the commandments are "burdensome and a yoke"? But God is saying there're not—His laws are not grievous!

Lastly. Yes, the Sabbath is a SIGN between God's people. For who are the Israelite—the Jews? Romans 2:28-29, "For he is not a real Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. He is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart, spiritual and not literal". Here, we see that Christians are also Jews and circumcised. Brother, are you a Jew by descent? No, but you're called a Jew, and by extension, an Israelite!

And what do you mean that the Sabbath SIGN wasn't given to the Church? Speaking of Moses, the scripture says, "This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness...." (Acts 7:38, KJV). The Church didn't start in the NT, it existed also in the wilderness! And as we have it today, it is built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the builder! (Ephesians 2:19-20). So what then are you saying

In conclusion. It is obvious that your understanding of scripture is very shallow, which is the more reason why you need to submit yourself to those more enlightened than you, for a fresh start on the "basics and elementary". And count yourself not yet a Christian, for Christians are SANCTIFIED by the truth (John 17:17), and these truths you have not. Which is why your own brand of Christianity is in doubt. Please feel free to contact me at any time for more enlightenment. For I am also one under a teacher and receives instructions from superiors when in need. Peace!
Re: Keeping The Sabbath by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:35pm On Nov 21, 2016
Splinz:

Hello OLAADEGBU, how are you my brother? I've not heard from you since our last discussion here https://www.nairaland.com/3323018/sunday-christian-sabbath/4#50369542.

Am blessed and highly favoured of the Lord. Thanks. smiley

Splinz:

Yes, I saw some of your comments below. And as usual, I felt deeply disturbed and worried because of the falsehood or misunderstanding it portrays, which is what I want us to correct.

The feeling is mutual. cool

Splinz:

I don't know why you keep on making the mistake of saying the Sabbath was given to the Jews when it is evident that the Sabbath was created right after Adam and Eve (Genesis 2:1-3). This occurred over 2,000 years before the first Jew (the man named Judah) was born. The Sabbath was never merely for the Jews, or ancient Israel. The Sabbath was made “for man”—first, for Adam and Eve in the Garden, and for all other men ever after. Why are you finding it so difficult to come to terms with the truth

While it is true that God rested on the 7th day and made it a pattern for mankind the Sabbath day as celebrated by the Jews and commanded in the Mosaic Law is not binding on the rest of mankind expect for the Jews. Just as a manufacturer would advise on the user manual for effective use of their product God made us to rest for one day and work for 6, and that's how we got our 7 day week. The Jews' Sabbath is a rite that is to be celebrated on the 7th day of the week and this is a type or shadow of the rest that we are to enter when Christ comes. Christ has come and is telling us to enter into His Rest. We are not to legalistically celebrate this ceremonial law since it has now been fulfilled in Christ, rather we should practise the spirit behind this law by doing well and worshipping God either one or 7 days as we deem it fit, to the glory of God.

Splinz:

And what is it that you mean when you say Jesus has fulfilled the Law—that we're freed from it—Jesus kept them on our behalf? Wow! Then if the "laws has been nailed to the cross", let us kill, fornicate, steal, blaspheme etc. After all, haven't we been set free from its bondage? SMH for this kind of delusion! John 18:18, "And a ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?". Notice Jesus reply in verse 20, "You know the commandments.......". Jesus never said, "Well, I would have tell you to keep the commandments. But since that's what I'm here to keep in your stead, just believe in my soon-to-be sacrifice". No! Instead, Jesus reminded this man of the commandments and also went on to recount some of them to him! Now, coming to Matthew 19:17 of this same account, Jesus was even more direct here when He said, "....if you would enter life, keep the commandments".

Do you have the power to keep the commandments? The Bible said whosoever keeps the Law would live by it and as far as I know no one is able to keep the whole law without breaking at least one. Jesus kept the whole Law and the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the spirit of sin and death. By grace I am now able to keep the Spirit of the Law of life in Christ who has set me free to obey Him.

Splinz:

Oh! You may say "Jesus actually gave us a new commandment, which is LOVE". And so—what is love? 1 John 5:3, "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome". Love is the commandment and the commandment is love! But haven't you been saying that the commandments are "burdensome and a yoke"? But God is saying there're not—His laws are not grievous!

All God is telling us to do now is to believe the gospel and love one another. If you don't believe that Jesus paid it all but expect to keep the Law by your own effort then you are fighting a lost battle. "By grace are ye saved, through faith and not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Splinz:

Lastly. Yes, the Sabbath is a SIGN between God's people. For who are the Israelite—the Jews? Romans 2:28-29, "For he is not a real Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. He is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart, spiritual and not literal". Here, we see that Christians are also Jews and circumcised. Brother, are you a Jew by descent? No, but you're called a Jew, and by extension, an Israelite!

If you are a spiritual Jew then obey the spirit of the letter which leads to life. The letter leads to bondage while the Spirit leads to freedom. Let the Son set you free from the law of sin and death.

"Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." (2 Corinthians 3:6 please read till verse 17)

Splinz:

And what do you mean that the Sabbath SIGN wasn't given to the Church? Speaking of Moses, the scripture says, "This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness...." (Acts 7:38, KJV). The Church didn't start in the NT, it existed also in the wilderness! And as we have it today, it is built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the builder! (Ephesians 2:19-20). So what then are you saying

"Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty" (2 Corinthians 3:17).

It is true that Christ was the Rock in the wilderness but this was pointing to the time of Christ's manifestation in the flesh which we in the NT are now minsters of the spirit. The Lord is that Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty.

Splinz:

In conclusion. It is obvious that your understanding of scripture is very shallow, which is the more reason why you need to submit yourself to those more enlightened than you, for a fresh start on the "basics and elementary". And count yourself not yet a Christian, for Christians are SANCTIFIED by the truth (John 17:17), and these truths you have not. Which is why your own brand of Christianity is in doubt. Please feel free to contact me at any time for more enlightenment. For I am also one under a teacher and receives instructions from superiors when in need. Peace!

I implore you to read Paul's letter to the Galatians, it might as well be referring to you. cool

"O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as having been crucified? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be in vain. He therefore that ministers to you the Spirit, and works miracles among you, does he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is everyone that continues not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that does them shall live in them." (Galatians 3:1-12).

Feel free to read it till the end of the chapter. If the Son, therefore, shall make you free you will be free indeed. smiley
Re: Keeping The Sabbath by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:47pm On May 06, 2017
Why did Jesus day Sabbath is meant for man? See details in the link below:

http://amredeemed.com/bible-study/remnant-church/jesus-say-sabbath-meant-man/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Wasted Years In Brotherhood Of Cross And Star / Fake Miracle By A Popular Nigerian Priest Caught On Camera + Must Watch Video + / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 02/08/15

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.