Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? (32262 Views)

When Playing "Hard-To-Get" Goes Too Far?! / The Pro And Cons Of Having A Big Bottom / A Solution Against Girls Playing ''hard To Get'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by lalasticlala(m): 11:13am On Aug 02, 2014
Playing hard to get applies mostly to ladies/girls who wouldn't want to appear cheap to their toasters and as such give their toasters much stress. They do that with the notion that when a woman plays hard to get even when in her heart she really desires the man, that if she eventually agrees that the man would cherish and value her so much.
They believe guys toil with the heart of babes that play easy to get, calling them "cheap".

A man can also play hard to get if it is a woman that is toasting him, especially if he doesn't find the lady attractive.

Is it worth then to play hard to get or easy to get? And in what circumstances are each of these seemingly contradictory tactics-"playing hard to get"and "playing easy to get"-more effective?

The first tactic is most effective when used in the context of long-term love or the marital context in which a person wishes to be sure of their partner's fidelity. Long-term romantic love may have significant and enduring benefits for us and hence we are ready to invest a lot of effort, and other resources, in order to attain it. Playing hard to get ensures that the other person is ready to make a commitment to an enduring relationship.

The tactic of "playing easy to get" is most effective when used by someone in the context of casual sex, where availability is the most important commodity. In this context, people are not ready to make significant investments since the benefits are smaller and more temporary; hence, playing hard to get here will not be effective at all.

Both tactics are less effective when used by men. The more overt the sexual advances by men, the less attractive women find them-probably because women do not want men to consider them as highly promiscuous.
Playing hard to get is also less effective in men, as they are the ones who are socially expected to initiate the relationship.
Romantic love is often described as a game, but love is more than just a game for two. Love is a very profound and complex experience involving serious, yet enjoyable games that two can play and both win.
But at the end of the day, we must realize the serious nature of this enjoyable bond between two people, and act accordingly. Acting seriously should not mean the abolishment of games in love, but rather making them more important.

Whatever is easily available is not considered valuable but when something is scarce, it assumes preciousness. This is the law of economics. However, when applied to human relationships, it throws up varied results. Many people like to think that if they play hard to get with someone they like, they have higher chances of attracting them. But does it really work?

Dangers Of Playing Hard To Get

In a book, they write: "Playing hard to get is the easiest way to land Mr. Wrong (i.e., Mr. Avoidant.)"Ah ha!

So, I was like, why is playing hard to get a bad idea in the long run, even though it might seem like a good strategy in the short-term (because it might help you win over a very successful or attractive guy)?

They wrote:"Playing hard to get is bad news, period — both in the short run and in the long run. People need to understand that when they go out on a date, they're not looking to win anyone over. They're out to find out whether this person is right for them, whether he has the capacity to make them happy. If you play hard to get, or in fact, if you play games at all, it will be very hard to tell if this person is a good match for you and if he is able to meet your needs. If you’re not putting your personality and needs out there, how will you know how the other person reacts to them, and whether he can show up and be there for you?

The danger when you're playing hard to get is that you will 'win over' someone who actually doesn’t feel comfortable being close and prefers to play hot and cold. You've led him to believe that you're comfortable with this kind of arrangement and when you decide it's time to let up the 'act,' you discover that you and your partner aren't in sync, and that he isn't capable of giving you what you need."

Some claim that one may lose her Mr Right by playing too hard to get as some guys don't really like being tossed around.

Finally, I think babes should strike a balance between playing hard to get and playing easy to get.

Babes and guys, what's your take on playing hard to get?

7 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by LaurelP(m): 11:18am On Aug 02, 2014
Playing hard to get is one of those things dat has never worked on me and I don't think it will ever do grin
As a matter of fact, any atom of feelings I have for a lady dies d moment she starts feeling too big. I just don't think I shud work hard to get a partner who is going to benefit from me. It just doesn't make sense to me!

207 Likes 1 Share

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 02, 2014
for me I really don't think its a bad idea on playing hard to get depending on how long u played it,, but don't give in easily and don't play hard to get too long either

but don't just jump into a guy because u love him without getting to know him first because u will end up jumping out as well, some of them pretends to be what they are not

23 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 02, 2014
If you like a guy, I don't understand why you should play hard-to-get.
Just give him signal, if he takes a step towards you, make the whole process go smoothly for eachother.
A guy that truly loves you won't dump you if you give him signal and are suitable to him.

It is all about using your brain that you will avoid being dumped or called cheap in a relationship, not by playing hard-to-get.

55 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 02, 2014
Wasting mb on nairaland,,, what is ........., i will bite u oh
Almeria: ..

3 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:27am On Aug 02, 2014
Unibenstudent: Wasting mb on nairaland,,, what is ........., i will bite u oh
this is called space booking cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 02, 2014
Unibenstudent: Wasting mb on nairaland,,, what is ........., i will bite u oh
she's simply bought a plot of land in a good position.

She will put it to use later.

12 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 02, 2014
LaurelP: Playing hard to get is one of those things dat has never worked on me and I don't think it will ever do grin
As a matter of fact, any atom of feelings I have for a lady dies d moment she starts feeling too big. I just don't think I shud work hard to get a partner who is going to benefit from me. It just doesn't make sense to me!
And if she is playing easy to get you guys will end up calling her A cheap thing

5 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by maxism2: 11:30am On Aug 02, 2014
Are u a woman over 30 years and u are still playing hard to get?

Ur mates and little ones are already in their husband's houses probably with kids and u r still playing hard to get.

keep playing hard to get until gray hair sets in.

Note : am not saying u should just accept anybody anyhow but use ur brain

if teenagers play hard to get and maybe babes in their early and mid 20s, I don't expect a woman over 30 to have that mentality of playing hard to get once u like d man.

22 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 02, 2014
I see , so u gonna edit that later,i guess,well,nice intentions if harnessed ryt
Almeria: this is called space booking cheesy
Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Eminentsam(m): 11:30am On Aug 02, 2014
Some girls have missed their potential husbands in the course of playing hard to get.

36 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Tallesty1(m): 11:32am On Aug 02, 2014
Playing hard to get makes sense

4 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Gooci(m): 11:32am On Aug 02, 2014
if that's space booking, then wats this

2 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by lalasticlala(m): 11:33am On Aug 02, 2014
[quote author=Eminentsam]Some girls have missed their potential husbands in the course of playing hard to get. [/quote

ya

1 Like

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by LaurelP(m): 11:40am On Aug 02, 2014
Almeria: And if she is playing easy to get you guys will end up calling her A cheap thing

I'm guessing u like playing hard to get grin
It might actually work on some other guys, but I'm saying it doesn't work on me
I don't encourage ladies to be cheap cos I wouldn't advise my sisters to be cheap
But at d same time, u have to let ur feelings known but don't let d guy take advantage of u
Its just a matter of using ur brain

But some girls start playing hard to get even when d guy is still considering whether to make a move or not
Its d easiest way of chasing guys like me away cos I don't have d time and energy to keep pursuing a girl for dat long.

58 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by ashson: 11:44am On Aug 02, 2014
By the time She starts getting old at her Father's home, she will start playing "Easiest to Get"

14 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by biz2get(m): 11:44am On Aug 02, 2014
[center]For Sale[/center]
Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by aweonline(m): 11:44am On Aug 02, 2014
Toorhh..i dnt knw u'v noticed it too
Ariana Grande z playing hard to get for me, av been on her since nick days..tired. I pray she wnt end up wit a looser cos dats d end result for gals playin hard to get.

2 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by OLAplusONE(m): 11:45am On Aug 02, 2014
Let dem continue nah, that's why they run frm one mountain to the other @ d age of 37.....
Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by biz2get(m): 11:46am On Aug 02, 2014
The third photo looks amazing......
Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 02, 2014
Playing hard to get in this time and age. Biko what is the hide and seek for.
One week and you say you no do, it's bye bye.

3 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 02, 2014
I met a girl forming hard to get, and later I got her and you know what?

I Broke her Heart, For forming hard to get grin

Guyz follow suit

Finest boy now single but not searching.

#DontQuote just #Like

12 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Jovie: 11:48am On Aug 02, 2014
GST 109: Philosophy of Romantic Attraction
Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 02, 2014
Keep Playing hard to get when you become sister jimaima na your body go tell you. undecided

5 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:49am On Aug 02, 2014
Ain't nobody gat time for that............
If u like someone go for it. If u don't let him no straight up.

7 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by dridowu: 11:49am On Aug 02, 2014
I 8 playing hard to get, if you like him and he comes over to you about date then give him the chance and if you don't like to date him then no need of 'let me think about it' just say you are not interested. Chikena and move on

11 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:50am On Aug 02, 2014
LaurelP:

I'm guessing u like playing hard to get grin
It might actually work on some other guys, but I'm saying it doesn't work on me
I don't encourage ladies to be cheap cos I wouldn't advise my sisters to be cheap
But at d same time, u have to let ur feelings known but don't let d guy take advantage of u
Its just a matter of using ur brain

But some girls start playing hard to get even when d guy is still considering whether to make a move or not
Its d easiest way of chasing guys like me away cos I don't have d time and energy to keep pursuing a girl for dat long.
yea I do play that it depends tho if I feel something for you I will use that opportunity to observe the kind of person you are if its really gonna work the I will say yes but if I don't I will tell you from the start that I am not interested and not telling the person that I will think about it telling you that will keep ur hopes high, but if I tell you that I am not interested and u keep pestering my life u go hear wiiii

4 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by chibwike(m): 11:50am On Aug 02, 2014
I only play hard to get by default to ugly girls

3 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by psychologist(m): 11:51am On Aug 02, 2014
cool

4 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 02, 2014
maxism2: Are u a woman over 30 years and u are still playing hard to get?

Ur mates and little ones are already in their husband's houses probably with kids and u r still playing hard to get.

keep playing hard to get until gray hair sets in.

Note : am not saying u should just accept anybody anyhow but use ur brain

if teenagers play hard to get and maybe babes in their early and mid 20s, I don't expect a woman over 30 to have that mentality of playing hard to get once u like d man.

Did u say mid 20's..... 18 year old now no dey play hard to get not to talk of 25. grin

5 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by DankemzI(m): 11:52am On Aug 02, 2014
Personally if i try it 1st time, 2nd , 3rd you're still nonchalant i'll guess you're taken i go bone the matter....
Some days later most of them "them girls" will be smiling trying to bring out those words again from you!

9 Likes

Re: Playing Hard To Get- The Pros And Cons? by UrbanMystique: 11:54am On Aug 02, 2014
Playing hard to get for what you want

Bullshit of the old century

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Should A Lady Marry A Man With No Job? / What Are The Dating Mistakes That Guys & Ladies Make? / 'Toto Dey Sweet' - Nigeria Police Officers Sing And Gyrate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.