Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! (15903 Views)

Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / Give Me A Child And Get 250k, Twins 500k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by nedu2000(m): 11:17am On Aug 02, 2014
I know most parents talk about how their kids finish 1st in class then who's the child that finishes last!!
My uncle's 16-yr-old child is such a person,he's dad bribed his way into secondary after he failed common entrance,after repeating JS1 and JS 2 twice,his dad was called in by his school principal(govt school) to come and carry away his ward!!My uncle not knowing what to do,send my cousin down to Lagos to live with us and join my little brother in his school(they are both age-mates but my brother is in SS3).
In Lagos,he couldn't pass the qualifying exam to my broher's school so we had to make do with one of those secondary schools that don't arrange such exams. In school,the results didn't change 22nd/24 students after 3 attempts in the same class?haba.He also possesses criminal tendencies as he forged his last term results,he doesn't write notes claiming he's a slow writer and its a natural liar. His parents are confused.
Surely there are parents who's wards aren't(weren't) doing well academically,what's the way out? sad

8 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by uboma(m): 12:05pm On Aug 02, 2014
No one is a blockhead. And calling your Uncle's child one will not help matters at all. No matter what a child does, don't call him/her derogatory names or compare them with other children who may be doing better.

If you really want to help, you need to have a heart to heart chat with your Uncle's child. First, gain his trust, so he can open up to you. It could be that something went wrong during his formative years (6-10 years). Please answer these;

Did this child grow up with his biological parents or with a relative?

During his formative years, did his parents play an active role in his life? Did they play together as a family? Was the father/mother always around to LISTEN and talk to their child? During his early years in school (nursery to primary) were his parents interested in his school activities? Did they guide him with his homework? Did they find out from his teacher(s) the performance of their son? Or was it just the *enrol your child in school, pay his fees when due, buy school materials? Is this the cycle they followed?

I always tell parents that *children are what we make them*. Once you miss it during their formative years, then you've lost out big time. It is simply not enough to just send your child to school and leave them at the mercy of their teachers. Parents need to play an ACTIVE role in their child(ren)'s life.

And mind you, if you are sure that the parents played their role during his formative years, then the child may be better off learning a vocational skill. If having listened to this boy, and its obvious that he just doesn't like school, then find out his hobby or the skill he's interested in and build on that.

Look around the world today, not all the well to do men actually completed their schooling. But they have excelled in their chosen fields.

There's so much to say but time... I wish I could have a chat with your Uncle's child. Are they in Abuja?

NB.
Calling a child derogatory names only serves to worsen him, make him more reserve and won't bring out the best in him/her. No one was born a dullard. Please take note.

140 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 02, 2014
It's not possible wink
that's why I perform IQ test on any guy that comes close to me cheesy

9 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by durella4(m): 12:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
Nothing s wrong about d child nt even d parent,ve seen cases were both parent re stark morons yet thier children still excel academically. D only tink he nid s determination,wen onces he take dat step am sure he's gonna make it.

If d parent ve try education and it does nt work,let dem try vocational training 4 him i blive dat s were s future lies after all d re so many peepz doing vocational trainin n re makin it in life.

17 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by cococandy(f): 12:31pm On Aug 02, 2014
Help him discover his talent and invest in it.

Tuface isn't a graduate.
#justsaying

26 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by beeevan: 12:57pm On Aug 02, 2014
There are people that will never be academically intelligent, even if you break their heads and stuff books in them.

21 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by nedu2000(m): 1:08pm On Aug 02, 2014
uboma: No one is a blockhead. And calling your Uncle's child one will not help matters at all. No matter what a child does, don't call him/her derogatory names or compare them with other children who may be doing better.

If you really want to help, you need to have a heart to heart chat with your Uncle's child. First, gain his trust, so he can open up to you. It could be that something went wrong during his formative years (6-10 years). Please answer these;

During his formative years, did his parents play an active role in his life? Did they play together as a family? Was the father/mother always around to LISTEN and talk to their child? During his early years in school (nursery to primary) were his parents interested in his school activities? Did they guide him with his homework? Did they find out from his teacher(s) the performance of their son? Or was it just the *enrol your child in school, pay his fees when due, buy school materials? Is this the cycle they followed?

I always tell parents that *children are what we make them*. Once you miss it during their formative years, then you've lost out big time. It is simply not enough to just send your child to school and leave them at the mercy of their teachers. Parents need to play an ACTIVE role in their child(ren)'s life.

And mind you, if you are sure that the parents played their role during his formative years, then the child may be better off learning a vocational skill. If having listened to this boy, and its obvious that he just doesn't like school, then find out his hobby or the skill he's interested in and build on that.

Look around the world today, not all the well to do men actually completed their schooling. But they have excelled in their chosen fields.

There's so much to say but time... I wish I could have a chat with your Uncle's child. Are they in Abuja?

NB.
Calling a child derogatory names only serves to worsen him, make him more reserve and won't bring out the best in him/her. No one was born a dullard. Please take note.
okay,maybe blockhead was derogatory but I've never called it to his face or anyone else for that matter,but what else can I say?he grew up with his parents and they are based in onitsha,he was only brought to Lagos to see if we could salvage something,I personally put the blame on the parents,he had to leave us after a year with us and return back to onitsha when the dad swore that he won't send school fees money describing it as money wasted,the mum who came to collect him was suppose to stop by at TB joshua for deliverance on the boy before my parents convinced her otherwise!!he's back in onitsha now with maybe the next port of call....technical school or anything that doesn't require paper/pen.

5 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by nedu2000(m): 1:10pm On Aug 02, 2014
cococandy: Help him discover his talent and invest in it.

Tuface isn't a graduate.
#justsaying
but u 'ave to admit its easier in life if ur at least educated,tuface is just a one-off

7 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by nedu2000(m): 1:13pm On Aug 02, 2014
durella4: Nothing s wrong about d child nt even d parent,ve seen cases were both parent re stark morons yet thier children still excel academically. D only tink he nid s determination,wen onces he take dat step am sure he's gonna make it.

If d parent ve try education and it does nt work,let dem try vocational training 4 him i blive dat s were s future lies after all d re so many peepz doing vocational trainin n re makin it in life.
its true,vocational training yeah,but u'ave to possess formal education to a degree,this boy though in JS3(just finished junior waec) will struggle to pass a primary 5 exam

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by uboma(m): 1:16pm On Aug 02, 2014
nedu2000: okay,maybe blockhead was derogatory but I've never called it to his face or anyone else for that matter,but what else can I say?he grew up with his parents and they are based in onitsha,he was only brought to Lagos to see if we could salvage something,I personally put the blame on the parents,he had to leave us after a year with us and return back to onitsha when the dad swore that he won't send school fees money describing it as money wasted,the mum who came to collect him was suppose to stop by at TB joshua for deliverance on the boy before my parents convinced her otherwise!!he's back in onitsha now with maybe the next port of call....technical school or anything that doesn't require paper/pen.

TB Joshua cannot help him either. Don't be deceived by what you see on the TV and what you hear people say about him.

Onitsha is quite far... If you can, please sit him down or take a long walk with him and dig deep. You will be surprised at what you'll learn...

12 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by kennynelcon(m): 2:54pm On Aug 02, 2014
alutacontinua: It's not possible wink

Lol ur funny
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by 1miccza: 3:08pm On Aug 02, 2014
Fry all his notes and textbooks and feed him or her with him Simple?

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 02, 2014
There are no dull students,there are only dull classrooms..

Not everybody is academically wired

Discover his talent/gift and try registering him to learn a hand work and be perfect in that area..He might do excellently well in that area

7 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 02, 2014
[quote
author=beeevan]There are people that will never be academically
intelligent, even if you break their heads and stuff books in
them.[/quote]

Rather than forcing him to learn academics,he should be registered for vocational training such as tailoring,mechanic,welding or barbing

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by beeevan: 4:55pm On Aug 02, 2014
Odilafta:

Rather than forcing him to learn academics,he should be registered for vocational training such as tailoring,mechanic,welding or barbing

Exactly, though it's heart breaking to any parents.

4 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 02, 2014
Everyone has got a talent or even two or three or more. Every child is precious, no matter how good at school. Children who do not perform too well at school, may be talented technically, for example. Every talent is precious and needed, it is just important to discover what each of us is good at and go for it.

I prefer my child to be a happy craftsman rather than an unhappy doctor.

7 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 02, 2014
beeevan:

Exactly, though it's heart breaking to any parents.

Yes,it could be but looking forward to the childs success in whatever vocation he has interest in should be the goal
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by nickz(m): 6:25pm On Aug 02, 2014
kill him and use him for money ritual

3 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by natureblack(m): 6:26pm On Aug 02, 2014
Trading might do undecided

Sorry if that sounds kinda blunt,buh that's just my honest opinion to ur complain.

2 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Descartes: 6:26pm On Aug 02, 2014
Wow it seems you are a psychologist smiley
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by priscaoge(f): 6:26pm On Aug 02, 2014
carefreewannabe: Everyone has got a talent or even two or three or more. Every child is precious, no matter how good at school. Children who do not perform too well at school, may be talented technically, for example. Every talent is precious and needed, it is just important to discover what each of us is good at and go for it.

I prefer my child to be a happy craftsman rather than an unhappy doctor.
U Have a point there!

4 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by realone2012: 6:27pm On Aug 02, 2014
Will just tell me him that:
You see son; GEJ (Goodluck EBOLA Jonathan) was an academic blockhead back then in Otueke and today he is the HEAD OF ALL ACADEMIC UNBLOCK HEADS INCLUDING THE PROFESSORS we have in Nigeria. Don't Give Up Son!!

13 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by iceberylin(m): 6:27pm On Aug 02, 2014
Not everyone made it trough Education
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by sammyjay3(m): 6:27pm On Aug 02, 2014
Check yourself you're probably a blockhead when u were young like your child...... I think with time he'll improve like you, maybe the child inherit it 4rm u

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by earthgreeners(m): 6:27pm On Aug 02, 2014
I would enrol him in a technical college & give him all the neccesary support..... Besides, the richest people in the world today were academic blockheads
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by technophile(m): 6:27pm On Aug 02, 2014
@ OP, you have to sit him down and ask him if he have any interest in going to school.

If his answer is yes, ask for his reason for failure at school and any thing you can do to help, also find out if he is emotionally depressed, this can occur if you guys abuse him too much or if he is from a broken home.

Else If his answer is NO! there is nothing you can do about his failure, get him a carpentry or Barbery Job.

Else it is the people from his village that are doing him!

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by Descartes: 6:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
True true, angry
Enwelu ITI bu iti, nke mpataka cheesy

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by priscaoge(f): 6:28pm On Aug 02, 2014
Hehehehehe grin grin grin grin and by So doing there won't be any dunce in ur house cheesy grin cheesy grin....

IQ test on my mind undecided undecided
Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by iceberylin(m): 6:29pm On Aug 02, 2014
uboma: No one is a blockhead. And calling your Uncle's child one will not help matters at all. No matter what a child does, don't call him/her derogatory names or compare them with other children who may be doing better.

NB.
Ahah....Which kind long post be this

2 Likes

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by ednut1(m): 6:30pm On Aug 02, 2014
nt everyone will be sharp academically. let him focus on vocational skills

1 Like

Re: What If You Have An Academic Blockhead For A Child! by priscaoge(f): 6:30pm On Aug 02, 2014
iceberylin:
Ahah....Which kind long post be this
grin grin grin The guy de vex cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Would You Marry Your Best Friend's Widow? / Some Nigerian Men And Their Popular "I Will Marry U Syndrome" / Sisters-In-Law: Why Do They Change So?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.