Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:53 PM

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema (30456 Views)

Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by dasparrow: 7:44pm On Aug 04, 2014
jayseehe: as long as it is nollywood...

can anything good come out of Nazareth?

@Bolded

Of course! Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ came out of Nazareth.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by mployer(m): 7:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
UjSizzle:
lol no. You really didn't think I was going to a cinema to watch this movie, did you?
I'm not a big fan of Bollywood or hollynollywood. And from experience novels don't do so well as motion pictures undecided
Sweet dreamz dear, luv you so much
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by promire2004(f): 10:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
@Op, the movie "half of a yellow sun" was diplomatically scripted to avoid every form of sentiment from the warring tribes. It was acted based on the stories of the novel. Personally, I admired Chimamanda Adichie's impeccable choice of words. I loved the role of Chiwetel Ejiofor, a university lecturer. His description in the novel matched his personality in the movie. I expected to see a not-so-pretty Kainene, but I was a little disappointed because the movie character was way prettier than I expected. Kainene seemed to harbor some resentment against her sister in the novel, but she showered her sister with so much love in the movie, (forgiving her wrongs). The most touching aspects of the movie for me were the scenes at the airport (killings of the ibos by the hausa soldiers). The painful loss of friends and family members. Nothing was said about Ugwu's sick mother in the movie. In all, I had fun watching the movie at the cinema. It was so touching. Thandie Newton looked so fragile and vulnerable. Genevieve played the role of the sharp-mouthed Ms Adebayo impressively.

Please let us learn to appreciate our very own. This is the first Nigerian movie I am watching at the cinema and I can proudly say I got real value for my money. There were lessons learnt. Lessons of forgiveness as displayed by Olanna. She looked after the little girl "baby or Chiamaka" as if it was hers. Kainene forgave her sister as well.....we should be objective in our comments rather than been unnecessarily tribalistic.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by mystikal(m): 11:11pm On Aug 04, 2014
I think it is easy to feel that this movie wasn't wat was expected, but I personally believe the acting, sounds and camera were superb.

However I think it is always difficult to cramp a book as expansive in reach as the original novel into two hours of screenplay. The movie makes for a rather cramped two hours.
It sometimes appeared detached from the war wahala it was attempting to portray.

I understand though that the movie wasn't supposed to be a story of the civil war, but I still believe this was an opportunity to do more in that regard. As it sometimes felt like d director was holding back the violence.

As a result, nothing quite matches the strong emotions and impact of Hotel Rwanda for example which combined domestic and political things nicely or how titanic combined d lovebstory and the tragedy superbly. For example, though Ejiofor puts over Odenigbo’s monologue on his mother’s death as well as we might expect, a more forceful movie would surely show the tragedy, instead of reporting it second-hand.

In general, for a such a small budget (as I heard), I think they did reasonably well.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Briareos(m): 11:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
promire2004: @Op, the movie "half of a yellow sun" was diplomatically scripted to avoid every form of sentiment from the warring tribes. It was acted based on the stories of the novel. Personally, I admired Chimamanda Adichie's impeccable choice of words. I loved the role of Chiwetel Ejiofor, a university lecturer. His description in the novel matched his personality in the movie. I expected to see a not-so-pretty Kainene, but I was a little disappointed because the movie character was way prettier than I expected. Kainene seemed to harbor some resentment against her sister in the novel, but she showered her sister with so much love in the movie, (forgiving her wrongs). The most touching aspects of the movie for me were the scenes at the airport (killings of the ibos by the hausa soldiers). The painful loss of friends and family members. Nothing was said about Ugwu's sick mother in the movie. In all, I had fun watching the movie at the cinema. It was so touching. Thandie Newton looked so fragile and vulnerable. Genevieve played the role of the sharp-mouthed Ms Adebayo impressively.

Please let us learn to appreciate our very own. This is the first Nigerian movie I am watching at the cinema and I can proudly say I got real value for my money. There were lessons learnt. Lessons of forgiveness as displayed by Olanna. She looked after the little girl "baby or Chiamaka" as if it was hers. Kainene forgave her sister as well.....we should be objective in our comments rather than been unnecessarily tribalistic.

I'm going to see the movie solely because of Kainene. One of the best characters to ever come out of a Nigerian novel in a long time. Her role, if you look at it critically, is the most iconic in the whole novel. Plus she is frakking independent.

Mild Spoilers Ahead

Revolutionary Lover was a closetted tribalist. I couldn't forgive Ugwu for the rape. Olanna was the supporting actress in the world of another person. Kainene, on the other hand, was the lead actor in her world.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by juwoonn(m): 11:32pm On Aug 04, 2014
adisa204: 4 me it was d best movie I've seen come out of nigeria,well as they say one mans food is anoders poison
Did u watch INALE?
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by juwoonn(m): 11:32pm On Aug 04, 2014
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by promire2004(f): 11:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
Briareos:

I'm going to see the movie solely because of Kainene. One of the best characters to ever come out of a Nigerian novel in a long time. Her role, if you look at it critically, is the most iconic in the whole novel. Plus she is frakking independent.

Mild Spoilers Ahead

Revolutionary Lover was a closetted tribalist. I couldn't forgive Ugwu for the rape. Olanna was the supporting actress in the world of another person. Kainene, on the other hand, was the lead actor in her world.

Kainene exudes a lot of boldness and self-confidence. There couldn't have been a better substitute for Onyeka Owenu who played the role of Odenigbo's mother. Typical Nigeria woman.....lol.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by amibonaija: 12:32am On Aug 05, 2014
LaRochelle: **thinking aloud**...how did this thread manage to grace the frontpage? It lacks sufficient information.

I don't normally do this but errm, there's always a first time, right? OP, how much did you pay the supermods?.
sweety don't be jealous ur day will come
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by dbaptist1(m): 12:47am On Aug 05, 2014
sexymoma: Why rushing to the cinema..
V.soon now i go buy am for ojota for N100.
If i sabi waka sef i go get am for free. grin
Wait small u go copy m wt flash from ur guy pc.... na dt wan sure pass
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by mars123(m): 1:36am On Aug 05, 2014
How was the acting/mimicking?that's what I really enjoy in cinema movies sef
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Osarieme415(m): 3:01am On Aug 05, 2014
I saw the movie yesternight.... If you have read the book,you tend to think it is overhyped because many parts that made the novel popular was left out e.g. Ugwu,the houseboy was abducted in the movie but,unlike,in the book,the movie didn't reveal that he fought in the war... I think everybody should see the movie... Just like what chimamanda said in BBC hard talk interview, "there is nothing political about that movie... It is just a simple romantic,love story."
I rate it 6 over 10
However my issue with the movie is that the ladies who played the role of the twins shouldn't have been used. The igbo language sounded unpalatable;flowing from their lips,by virtue of their American accent. In terms of that,I rate Hotel Rwanda over Half of A Yellow Sun. Furthermore,it was appalling seeing Nollywood bigwigs like O.C Ukeje playing "waka-pass" roles. Is it that these guys are local champions ( are they no better than Thandie Newton and Anika) or is it colonial mentality?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by ibis: 7:20am On Aug 05, 2014
ritux: I was at the Cinema yesterday for the movie. I think it is okay. For the fact that the spent lots of money in producing this film, I will give them thumbs up. The only negative side for me was that I don't like the way it ended.

I like the guy Ugwu most especially when he was teaching and also when his master asked him not to call him Sir smiley

Please why was Ejiofor always called revolutionary lover? I still dont get.

7/10

Finally, for those people thinking about Nigeria on the brink or wanting Nigeria to break up, please go watch this movie. If we are going to have a peaceful break up which I doubt will ever happen, fine no problem. But if it is going to be in the form of fighting and war....hmmmnnn let's remain the way we are.

My parents told me stories about the civil war. Me, I don't want to experience it.

One Nigeria

hi. if you read the book which is more detailed, he was called revolutionary lover because he believed in Biafra and what it stood for.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by greenek001: 7:58am On Aug 05, 2014
jayseehe: as long as it is nollywood...

can anything good come out of Nazareth?

and gues what, JESUS CHRIST came out of nazareth...soo, something good can come out of nollywood..infact, many good things ar coming out of it(mr & mrs, ijeh, aromire, mirror boy and many more)
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by greenek001: 7:59am On Aug 05, 2014
shakaz: didn't enjoy ''12 years a slave'' after all the hype, so I'm not surprise this one also turned out same way.

oga/madam, abeg park well..u no understand the film, na y u no like am
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by ritux: 10:03am On Aug 05, 2014
ibis:

hi. if you read the book which is more detailed, he was called revolutionary lover because he believed in Biafra and what it stood for.

Thanks Ibis, I never read the book.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by ugojamali(m): 10:03am On Aug 05, 2014
People should always read the logline of a movie before they rush off to go and watch it and come back online to write negative reviews about how it fell below their expectations.

For the education of those who do not know about half of a yellow sun... It is not and was not intended to be a story of the Biafran War. .. It is however a love story set in the midst of the war. It is the story of two sisters who yearn for happiness and true love beyond tribal limits but whose lives and bonds get threatened by the outbreak of war.

Not a war story. I have watched the film and and it fell well within expectations.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by naturefellow(m): 10:49am On Aug 05, 2014
desdichando: Transformers 4 was overhyped
False! It is worth the hype.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Perfecter4real(m): 12:59pm On Aug 05, 2014
I disagree wit u on this i watch the movie and i enjoyed every bit of it.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by MissJennifer(f): 11:01am On Aug 06, 2014
shakaz: didn't enjoy ''12 years a slave'' after all the hype, so I'm not surprise this one also turned out same way.

Me too, couldn't even finish it.....buh the trailer of half of a yellow sun I saw looked promising
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by omar22(m): 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
Osarieme415: I saw the movie yesternight.... If you have read the book,you tend to think it is overhyped because many parts that made the novel popular was left out e.g. Ugwu,the houseboy was abducted in the movie but,unlike,in the book,the movie didn't reveal that he fought in the war... I think everybody should see the movie... Just like what chimamanda said in BBC hard talk interview, "there is nothing political about that movie... It is just a simple romantic,love story."
I rate it 6 over 10
However my issue with the movie is that the ladies who played the role of the twins shouldn't have been used. The igbo language sounded unpalatable;flowing from their lips,by virtue of their American accent. In terms of that,I rate Hotel Rwanda over Half of A Yellow Sun. Furthermore,it was appalling seeing Nollywood bigwigs like O.C Ukeje playing "waka-pass" roles. Is it that these guys are local champions ( are they no better than Thandie Newton and Anika) or is it colonial mentality?

Oh please when are people going to stop nip picking, those 2 actress were brought in because of their pedigree and CV, the accent might sound strange to you but it sounds perfect to the rest of the world. Colonial mentality really, do you have to play that card?
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Osarieme415(m): 10:54pm On Aug 06, 2014
omar22:

Oh please when are going to stop nip picking, those 2 actress were brought in because of their pedigree and CV, the accent might sound strange to you but it sounds perfect to the rest of the world. Colonial mentality really, you had to play that card?

?!!!!!!!!!!
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by sholay2011(m): 10:46am On Aug 07, 2014
Just saw the movie at the cinema. ..

Had some great moments but didn't wow me as a whole.

The acting was quite good, especially the lady that played Kainene I think. ...or maybe it's the character sha. But I found the character a bit haunting due to where the film ended.

Thandie Newton tried as Olanna and I was impressed with the Nigerian accent Chiwetel put on.

Onyeka Onwenu was okay, but not a character we've not seen before.

Cinematography was good too.

My favourite great moment sha was at the airport. We were made to quickly connect with this officer that works there (I think his name is Nnaemeka), before the hausa soldiers came and shot him first. There was the shock value it had after we've just been introduced to the character that seemed interesting.

Kudos to Biyi Bamidele though.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by homesteady(m): 1:52pm On Aug 07, 2014
Kano is just a useless place! Big for nothing!
Other big cities are watching half of a yellow sun now, kano have not even dreamt of building a cinema! Mtcheew!
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by sholay2011(m): 2:32pm On Aug 07, 2014
homesteady: Kano is just a useless place! Big for nothing!
Other big cities are watching half of a yellow sun now, kano have not even dreamt of building a cinema! Mtcheew!
Awww...sorry oh. sad

grin grin
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by homesteady(m): 3:00pm On Aug 07, 2014
sholay2011:
Awww...sorry oh. sad

grin grin
Its not funny!
grin grin grin
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by homesteady(m): 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ok! I bought the film today, and I'm watching it right now! Happy independence day smiley
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by chiomyy(f): 8:28pm On Aug 13, 2014
Pls who knows what cinema will be showing the movie tomorrow in Lagos?
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by fisayoolowo: 11:20pm On Sep 23, 2014
With an author lik adiche, it's pretty difficult to portray the emotions in the book, the book is so beautiful that it's virtually impossible to act out.. same with 12 years a slave
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by rossyc(f): 6:20pm On Sep 24, 2014
Finally watched this movie, not bad though.
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 1:28pm On Mar 27, 2015
Just watched the movie.

Touching!
Re: My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 13, 2015
I think it is a good movie. But I think it could definitely have been better with a lot more time, it seemed rushed. But it's not abysmal like many are trying to imply here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BBNaija: Bisola And Her Siblings At Her 4th Birthday (Throwback Photo) / BBNaija 2018 First Saturday Party Time (Photos) / Audition For Big Brother Naija Season 7 Begins (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.