Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,669 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation (67318 Views)

Aregbesola Interacts With Farmers In Their Cocoa Plantation (pics) / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Meet Tomtato – A Plant That Grows Tomatoes Above Ground And Potatoes Below (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by sholijay(m): 4:24pm On Mar 01, 2016
Hello Bro,

Kindly send me any document you have regarding air layering to sholijay@gmail.com , thanks. Btw, can you travel to help get seedlings (About 30 ) from a grown tree?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Ajusshi: 4:42pm On Mar 01, 2016
In Korea, this is a common practice.

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 01, 2016
Air laying is good i av downloaded watch some video on YouTube on it is cool if you get it right. Go to YouTube their is alot of videos their watch and download it

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Smooyis(m): 7:20pm On Mar 01, 2016
irukandji89:
That’s all, people.
I hope you find this beneficial and not a waste of time.
For more information, you can contact me through my profile page.
Please, I would appreciate comments, contributions, as this is my first topic. Nobody is an ultimate in knowledge.
Also, if you attempt this, please let us know your results. Post pictures too if you can.

Thanks!!!

Thanks so much. It's very educative and interesting. I hope to practice it someday.

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by FreshGuy2(m): 8:01pm On Mar 01, 2016
Op I'm more interested in the grafting aspect of it... Explain more to me please
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 8:59pm On Mar 01, 2016
Jesusbaby6:

Please when you successfully propagate for cocoa and you have for sale mention me.

Nice work

How many would you likely need?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 9:02pm On Mar 01, 2016
sholijay:
Hello Bro,

Kindly send me any document you have regarding air layering to sholijay@gmail.com , thanks. Btw, can you travel to help get seedlings (About 30 ) from a grown tree?

Anything you need to learn has been dealt with on this thread sir.

Its really not rocket science.

There is nothing special to it. grin
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 9:12pm On Mar 01, 2016
Jesusbaby6:

Please when you successfully propagate for cocoa and you have for sale mention me.

Nice work

No problem sir.

I'm willing to come to a cocoa farm If you invite me.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 9:13pm On Mar 01, 2016
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 9:16pm On Mar 01, 2016
Jesusbaby6:

Nice work

How many will you need?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Bobbyjay001(m): 9:17pm On Mar 01, 2016
What do you intend planting bro?
irukandji89:

Starting small is always a good idea. smiley
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Bobbyjay001(m): 9:18pm On Mar 01, 2016
Can anyone help me get ogbonno seeds for planting? Am based in Akure.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 9:20pm On Mar 01, 2016
FreshGuy2:
Op I'm more interested in the grafting aspect of it... Explain more to me please

Grafting is actually a different form of propagation.

It involves joining a part of a tree to another.

Marcotting is done on a single tree.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 9:23pm On Mar 01, 2016
Bobbyjay001:
What do you intend planting bro?

I intend to start a nursery/ plant propagation farm.

Both food crops and ornamental plants.

I love plants.

Should have studied plant science in school grin
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by GreatManBee: 9:28pm On Mar 01, 2016
irukandji89:
MARCOTTING/ AIR LAYERING: TURN A PLANT INTO A PLANTATION

Hello, I would like share a method of plant propagation that I feel has a lot of potential.

Marcotting, also called Air Layering is an asexual or vegetative method of plant propagation in which a new plant is made from a mature, established parent plant.

It is a very easy and quick way to multiply or propagate woody plants. In this method of plant propagation, roots are induced to form on a part of the parent plant (by causing a sort of “wound” or “cut” and then covering it up) while it remains aerial (above ground), hence the term Air Layering.

I have tried and tested this method of propagation of many plants which include Citrus plants (Lemon, Orange etc.), Moringa, African Apple, African Star Apple (agbalumo), Teak, Molina, Rubber, Basil (Ewuro), Thyme (Efinrin) and some woody decorative plants, and I have recorded success.

I hope to share my methods with fellow NLanders because I have searched on this forum and I haven’t found a related, comprehensive article on this method of propagation and I believe it would be beneficial to agriculturists who may want to start a plantation of some plants listed above.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Bobbyjay001(m): 9:29pm On Mar 01, 2016
It is a pity cucumber and watermelon can't be propagated this way.
irukandji89:

I intend to start a nursery/ plant propagation farm.

Both food crops and ornamental plants.

I love plants.

Should have studied plant science in school grin
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by old2boy(m): 9:29pm On Mar 01, 2016
my earlier post was blocked! which rule did I break?
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 9:30pm On Mar 01, 2016
Bobbyjay001:

grin
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Olamipapa(m): 10:54pm On Mar 01, 2016
irukandji89:
Basil plant (Ewuro) propagated by marcotting

OP! I think Basil is efirin and ewuro is bitter leaf. Nice one, I will put it into practice too. thanks OP.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by FarmTech(m): 11:00pm On Mar 01, 2016
irukandji89:
There are many advantages of Marcotting which include:

Exact replica of parent plants: You get exact copy of the parent plant. This is better than planting from seeds which may produce new, different, undesirable species.

Fast fruiting time: Unlike planting from seeds, which may take many years, a marcotted plant will definitely take a shorter time to fruit...
Just want to add that growing trees from seed will give u a healthy plantation that will yield more and last longer. Other means may give u fast result but if u want sth that last long, start from the seed.
Marcoting is a good idea though, esp for plants with short life.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by NnamdiN: 11:40pm On Mar 01, 2016
how long do the cut branches stay alive "assuming one is transporting them from one location to another" ??

For the selling part, how much do they sell for when they flower ??
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Greenex(m): 2:47am On Mar 02, 2016
pls do i av to water it during the process
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Jesusbaby6(f): 5:32am On Mar 02, 2016
irukandji89:

How many would you likely need?

It depends on the price. I want to use for an experiment.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 7:23am On Mar 02, 2016
FarmTech:

Just want to add that growing trees from seed will give u a healthy plantation that will yield more and last longer. Other means may give u fast result but if u want sth that last long, start from the seed.
Marcoting is a good idea though, esp for plants with short life.

Some plants ( like Citrus sp ) tend to produce a different variety when you plant from seeds.

Momma planted the seed of a sweet orange and about 15 years ago and we got bitter orange grin

Never thought that was possible till recently.

I always thought the tree was ..... grin

That was why I was fascinated with asexual propagation.

1 Like

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 7:24am On Mar 02, 2016
Olamipapa:

OP! I think Basil is efirin and ewuro is bitter leaf. Nice one, I will put it into practice too. thanks OP.

Yes ... You're right.

I always mix them up grin
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 7:26am On Mar 02, 2016
Bobbyjay001:

No they can't.

They don't have woody stems. They're vines.

But hey!

They still do well by seed sowing. grin
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Bobbyjay001(m): 10:11am On Mar 02, 2016
Thanks so much for the enlightment and prompt response sir.

Are you based in Ijebu-ode sir? Am from Ijebu-ode and can help me get ogbonno seeds to plant?
Then I wnt to know maybe ogbonno can be planted with maize. Thanks sir
irukandji89:

No they can't.

They don't have woody stems. They're vines.

But hey!

They still do well by seed sowing. grin
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Newway2(m): 4:17pm On Mar 02, 2016
Ogbono is d dried seeds of "oro" (yoruba) & from ds write-up, it's obvious propagating from seed will take a looooooooog time to mature. Why not "Air-layer" it instead?

U can get oro (during it season) from any market in yoruba land

Bobbyjay001:
Can anyone help me get ogbonno seeds for planting? Am based in Akure.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by irukandji89(m): 10:18pm On Mar 02, 2016
Bobbyjay001:
Thanks so much for the enlightment and prompt response sir.

Are you based in Ijebu-ode sir? Am from Ijebu-ode and can help me get ogbonno seeds to plant?
Then I wnt to know maybe ogbonno can be planted with maize. Thanks sir

I think its better to get the seedlings which will take a shorter time to fruit.

Rather than planting from seeds.

Ogbono grows to become a tree.

Its like a mango tree.

So you can plant maize with it while its still young.
Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by FarmTech(m): 12:26am On Mar 03, 2016
irukandji89:

Some plants ( like Citrus sp ) tend to produce a different variety when you plant from seeds.

Momma planted the seed of a sweet orange and about 15 years ago and we got bitter orange grin

Never thought that was possible till recently.

I always thought the tree was ..... grin

That was why I was fascinated with asexual propagation.

I will search for a scientific explanation. May be it was pollinated by a bitter orange?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marcotting/Air Layering: Turn A Plant Into A Plantation by Newway2(m): 10:52pm On Mar 27, 2016
I saw this & tot I shld share it here.........

MATURE MANGO PLANT iN POTS

Urban farming enthusiasts, and especially those living in rented spaces, can dabble in fruit farming after the introduction of potted miniature mango plants by prominent orchard manager, Henry M’Tiiri.

Mr. M’Tiiri, whose nursery is in Meru County, but supplies seedlings to all of East Africa, is selling ready-to-fruit mango plants, that come in neat pots, and which can easily sit in the doorsteps of apartments.

“The trees serve as ornamental plants, but also yield sweet mangoes,” M’Tiiri told Farmbiz Africa...............

http://www.farmbizafrica.com/news/meru-farmer-selling-mature-mango-plants-in-small-pots

Can we achieve this here?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Big Python I Killed In My Farm Today And What Has Become Of It. / Yam Growing On Tiles (Pictures) / The Puff Adder My Workers Killed On My Yam Farm (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.