Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,934 members, 7,799,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

The Lions Den Of Arewa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Lions Den Of Arewa (35895 Views)

A Gladiator Among The Lions : President Muhammadu Buhari / Abuja Capital Of Arewa Republic / Hausa/fulani Take Over In Niger Republic See Map Of Arewa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 8:19pm On Aug 03, 2014
As a sequel to my previous thread "The Beasts of Northern Nigeria", in the "Discover Arewa" series...I present to you...

THE LIONS DEN OF AREWA | A roll call of the Northern Nigeria's Industries and Industrialists

1. Aliko Dangote

Africa's richest man is looking beyond cement, sugar and flour--the three commodities that built his fortune--to the oil business. In April, he announced $9 billion in financing from a consortium of local and international lenders to construct a private oil refinery, fertilizer and petrochemical complex in the country. His publicly traded Dangote Cement is also grabbing new markets in Africa, with $750 million in new plants planned for Kenya and Niger. He made his first fortune more than three decades ago when he started trading commodities with a loan from his powerful uncle.

Interesting Fact: Aliko Dangote just injected $1 billion into the Agriculture sector.

7 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 8:21pm On Aug 03, 2014
2. Abdulsamad Rabiu

Abdulsamad Rabiu is new to the Forbes World's Billionaires list this year. He is the founder of BUA Group, a Nigerian conglomerate with interests in sugar refining, cement production, real estate, steel, port concessions, manufacturing, oil and gas, and shipping. We estimate the Group's annual revenues at more than $2 billion. He got his start in business working for his father, Isyaku Rabiu, a successful businessman from Nigeria's northern region. He struck out on his own in 1988, importing rice, sugar and edible oils as well as steel and iron rods.

7 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 8:23pm On Aug 03, 2014
3. Musa Bashir - Rahamaniyya Group

Rahamaniyya Group was established in October 2003, as an oil trading business with focus on Nigerian market and a strong desire to be leader in the Downstream Sector. The company has experienced phenomenon growth since it was established 5 years ago. Musa Bashir is a self-made billionaire and one of the successful young gladiators dominating the oil and gas sub-sector in Nigeria. As an influential member of the billionaires club in the country, Rahamaniya is almost synonymous with opulence, class and flamboyance. He is also the darling of most of the biggest banks in the country. He dines and mingles with bank chief executives with all ease and wanton respect. Rahamaniya was a pro bono client whose name rings a bell in various bank board rooms. To various bank chief executives, the young billionaire’s wish, whose annual turn- over was placed at over N1 trillion, was law. To many people in Sokoto, Rahamaniya’s home-town, he was a philanthropist to beat, as he has carved out a niche for himself in dishing out financial favours with reckless abundance.

Interesting Fact: Rahamaniyya owns the largest tank farm in W/Africa.

3 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by kettykin: 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2014
Government Lions in Government Zoo, wait a minute , if these are classified as lions how will TY danjuma, IBB , Atiku be classified in the Arewa/Northen food chain .where they control and make kings

16 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2014
4.Rabiu Isyaku Rabiu (IRS Airlines etc.)

Chairman/CEO, IRS Airlines Limited
Group Executive Director, Isyaku Rabiu Group of Companies

Alhaji Rabiu I. Rabiu, an American trained business entrepreneur has to his credit well over 21 years practical managerial experience in active business.

He is currently, Group Executive Director, Isyaku Rabiu Group of Companies.

In addition to being Group Executive Director of the family’s conglomerate business, Alhaji Rabiu Isyaku Rabiu Jr. is a successful business entrepreneur in his own right.

He is the Chief Executive of other trading and investment companies.

The activities of these companies are wide and includes import and export trade, distributive marketing, general supplies and contracts. He is also into real estate development and the distribution of passenger vehicles.

As the Group Executive Director co-coordinating the Group’s interest in aviation business, IRS Airlines will benefit tremendously from the rich and versatile management experience Alhaji Rabiu I. Rabiu has been availing the family business.

8 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by owolabifunke14(f): 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2014
Hi guys, am back cool

1 Like

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by Omexonomy: 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2014
@op you deserve a bottle of charmpaing for ur contribution to the development of nairaland.

4 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 8:27pm On Aug 03, 2014
5. Adamu Dankabo

From a humble beginning in 1980 as a private airline company the first of its kind in Nigeria, Kabo Air steadily grew to overwhelmingly dominate the skies of Nigeria in the field of air operations.

For over a decade Kabo Air operated about 20 domestic flights daily linking Nigerians from both sides of Rivers Niger and Benue especially businessmen and women from Kano through which business transaction flourished, catapulting Kano people to new level in modern business.From two leased aircrafts at its inception, Kabo Air had at its peak period of operations 24 fully owned aircrafts of varying sizes to consolidate its position as No1 in Africa.

Indeed with continued dwindling fortunes of Nigerians well into the 1990’s the pragmatic and visionary owner of Kabo Air, late Jarman Kano, Alhaji Muhammadu Adamu Dankabo swiftly ventured into the more viable international operations especially Umrah and Hajj operations.

3 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2014
owolabifunke14: Hi guys, am back cool
Lagbake?

@post keep it coming. cool
Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2014
6. Sayyu Dantata

[img]http://1.bp..com/-PM3y7RUHGbM/UVBEx6NYhEI/AAAAAAAAB8Y/qFB8nzZzgpc/s1600/sayyu+dantata.jpg[/img]

Mr. Sayyu I. Dantata is the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of MRS Holdings Ltd (Formerly, MRS Group). He serves as the Chairman of MRS Oil Nigeria Plc and has been its Director since March 20, 2009. He serves as a Director of Hydro Alternative Energy, Inc. Alhaji. Dantata has been a Non-executive Director of Nigerian Telecommunications Limited since August 2008. Alhaji. Dantata served as a Director at MRS Holdings Ltd (also known as MRS Group). He served as a Director at Transnational Corporation of Nigeria Plc. He is a seasoned mechanical engineer by training at the Morris Brown College Atlanta- Georgia, USA.

Interesting fact - Chris Brown refused to stay in any of the 5-star hotels offered to him and chose to stay at Sayyu's palatial home on banana island..

9 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2014
7. Jelani Aliyu

Watch the amazing profile of Sokoto Born Jelani Aliyu - a senior designer at GM who designed the Chevrolet Volt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqx-xKGeDCA

12 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by eph12(m): 8:31pm On Aug 03, 2014
One day smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 8:31pm On Aug 03, 2014
kettykin: Government Lions in Government Zoo, wait a minute , if these are classified as lions how will TY danjuma, IBB , Atiku be classified in the Arewa/Northen food chain .where they control and make kings

Only industrialists who did not loot government funds are listed here.

28 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by NafeesaAA(f): 8:41pm On Aug 03, 2014
Nasir Yammama from Kastina State is currently studying for a master’s degree in creative technology at the Middlesex University in London. Nasir’s ability to think outside the box and develop digital solutions to everyday problems has earned him the respect of his peers and prizes and various international competitions (e.g. Oracles Thinkquest, Digital Peers International's Digites etc.)

What struck us about Nasir was that unlike a lot of young people his age, he is actively thinking about solutions to Nigeria’s current problems and he has taken a different perspective to what he believes this solutions might be.

At the moment the Nigeria agricultural sector is one of the most under funded with the greatest potential to boost the country’s economy. In terms of our question, Nasir proved to us that not only is he aware of the current issues, his proposed product seeks to plug into and piggy back on the foundation of recently launched government initiatives.

His product is a knowledge sharing mobile application which seeks to ensure that Nigerian farmers make informed decisions about their business based on what is available to them in their local environments, for example the farmers will receive information about the best soil types to use for their various agricultural products, weather and its effect on crops etc.

This product is very much in the developmental stages, but we are excited to embark on this journey with Nasir. He proved to us during his presentation and board interview that he has done his research and we look forward to what the future brings and will support him in any way we can.

9 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 03, 2014
prophetone:

Only industrialists who did not loot government funds are listed here.
Indeed,but they had sole,exclusive rights frm past govts,past military govts like ibb n abacha to import certain essential n basic commodities thereby destroying da humble careers of other potential investors...pretty sure da likes of ibb,abacha family,etc,got 'shares',ya know,cos these investments thrived most during da draculian military era..interesting indeed.

9 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by NafeesaAA(f): 8:43pm On Aug 03, 2014
Nigerian wins UK innovation prize, mentorship with Richard Branson

Mr. Yammama says he’s thrilled to have emerged winner in the keenly contested competition.

A Nigerian postgraduate student of Creative Technology at Middlesex University, United Kingdom, has emerged first place winner in the British Council’s Enterprise Challenge competition.

Nasir Yammama, who is an indigene of Katsina state, won the U.K. leg of the competition, out of over 2,000 contestants, with his invention of a farming support application that can help farmers with information about weather and how to take care of their farmlands.

Mr. Yammama on July 1 had a mentoring session with renowned entrepreneur and chairman of Virgin Group, Richard Branson, as part of the reward for the competition. He is also to attend entrepreneurship training at the Branson Centre for Entrepreneurship in South Africa.

In a statement posted on its website, the British Council noted that “Nasir’s ability to think outside the box and develop digital solutions to everyday problems has earned him the respect of his peers and prizes and various international competitions (e.g. Oracles Thinkquest, Digital Peers International’s Digites etc.)”

The judging panel averred that “What struck us about Nasir was that unlike a lot of young people his age, he is actively thinking about solutions to Nigeria’s current problems and he has taken a different perspective to what he believes this solutions might be.

“At the moment the Nigeria agricultural sector is one of the most underfunded with the greatest potential to boost the country’s economy. In terms of our question, Nasir proved to us that not only is he aware of the current issues, his proposed product seeks to plug into and piggy back on the foundation of recently launched government initiatives.

“His product is a knowledge sharing mobile application which seeks to ensure that Nigerian farmers make informed decisions about their business based on what is available to them in their local environments, for example the farmers will receive information about the best soil types to use for their various agricultural products, weather and its effect on crops etc.

“This product is very much in the developmental stages, but we are excited to embark on this journey with Nasir. He proved to us during his presentation and board interview that he has done his research and we look forward to what the future brings and will support him in any way we can.”

In his reaction to winning the prize, Mr. Yammama said that he’s thrilled to have emerged winner in the keenly contested competition.

“I was very delighted when I received a letter notifying that I’ve emerged the first place winner of the competition in UK. But then, such delight always comes with a certain responsibility. It has challenged me to work harder and stay focused on my goals,” he said.

2 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 8:46pm On Aug 03, 2014
PAN KADUNA

PAN was incorporated in 1972 as a joint venture between the
Federal Government and Automobile Peugeot of France
• The Kaduna factory was commissioned in 1975 and
production commenced the same year
• The factory has an installed capacity to produce 90,000 cars
per annum in three shifts with ample space for future
expansion and can generate direct employment for over 5000
people
• The factory attained its peak production in 1981 producing
160 cars per day in two shifts
• ASD Motors acquired 54.87% stake in PAN in 2006 under the
privatisation drive of the Federal Government to become the
company’s new core investor
A new production line for the 307 Sedan was launched in
2008 and production commenced in 2009

• To date, PAN remains the leading assemblers of vehicles for
the Nigerian market

4 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by stinggy(m): 8:48pm On Aug 03, 2014
Ab0kis my real niggaz till I die grin

11 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by NafeesaAA(f): 8:52pm On Aug 03, 2014
Jelani Aliyu, a Nigerian from Sokoto State, is US auto giant General Motors Senior Creative Designer. He designed the world acclaimed Chevy Volt which has been described as an American Revolution and hottest concept in automobile design line. According to the company's New York office release, "GM`s most electrifying advanced technology vehicle is the Chevrolet Volt concept, a battery-powered, extended-range electric passenger vehicle."In his paper delivered at the conference of Nigerians in Diaspora Organization, NIDO, Canada, entitled Role of Educated Youth in 3Ps and Entrepreneurship, the designer of the state-of-the-art electric car for General Motors, the world’s largest automobile makers, paints a picture that says nothing is impossible to achieve once your mind is fully set;

We must never underestimate the amazing power of human imagination, the ability to envision that which does not yet exist. Every great city, every monument, every historic feat, as it stands for all the world to see, was once pure thought, pure imagination acted upon and brought into reality.

To imagine is to dream, to dream is to believe in the yet unreal. And when we do dream, it must be big, because to dream small is to totally underestimate the amazing capabilities that lie within each and every one of us.
I was born and grew up in Nigeria, Land of the Niger crocodile, The Baobab tree, And the midday sun, Nigeria, Where smiles are free Like the bright blue sky And the beautiful stars of the night.

I grew up in Sokoto, in the northern part of the country, about an hour from the northern border. My parents came from Dogondaji, which is a town about an hour southwest of Sokoto. Growing up was a fascinating experience, the wide open spaces, the bright blue sky and the very closely knit family. Growing up was a lot of fun, very exciting times.

I have always wanted to be a car designer for as far back as I can remember (YAT- what are your dreams and aspirations). I studied Architecture, the closest thing to it in Nigeria, at the Birnin Kebbi Polytechnic (YAT- Are you still concerned as to how you graduated whether in a university, college of education or polytecnic? It doesn't matter so long as you have the dream and passion burning in you).

After that I attended the College for creative Studies in Detroit where I studied Transportation Design. When I graduated I got a job with general Motors, I worked at the GM tech Center for about three years and then went on international assignment to Germany for about two years at Opel.
Then I came back to the Tech Center and most recently I designed the Chevrolet Volt Electric Car, a vehicle that is crucial not just to GM but to the whole industry and world in general.

When ever I am in Nigeria, I am fascinated by the people, culture and environment. Nigeria is truly a country endowed with a lot of resources, we have oil, natural gas, cocoa, minerals and fertile soil that could cultivated to feed hundreds of millions, but above all, at our very core, what we have is our humanity, that magical inner spirit that glows from within, that magical inner spirit that makes us an integral and crucial part of the human civilization.

This is now more important than ever before, because humanity as a group, (Africans and Europeans, Asians and Americans, humanity in its totality) is on the verge of a major philosophical evolution, an evolution that will dramatically and forever change the very pattern of the human experience.
This will be brought about by exponential advances in the sciences, arts and technology, leading to a better and deeper understanding of the human mind and how it works, and also leading to the scientific connection between the human thought process and the man made reality that surrounds us.
Two significant results of this new way of thinking will be enhanced relationships within humanity and between humanity and the environment.

8 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 8:58pm On Aug 03, 2014
CCNN Sokoto

Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc (CCNN), was founded by the Premier of the then Northern Region, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, Sardauna of Sokoto. It was incorporated in 1962 and commenced production in 1967 with an initial installed capacity of 100,000 tons per annum at the Kalambaina plant. The need to meet the increasing demand for cement necessitated an expansion of the plant with the commissioning of a second line with an installed capacity of 500,000 tons per annum in 1985, by the then Head of State, Major General Muhammadu Buhari. Thereafter, in 1986, the first line was shut down due to its uneconomic mode of operation, thus leaving the plant with a rated output of 500,000 tons per annum.

Under the privatization and commercialization programme of the Babangida Administration in 1992, the Federal Government disinvested about 20% of its holding in the company and sold it to the Nigerian Public.

Under the civilian administration of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Cement Company of Northern Nigeria Plc was earmarked as one of the companies to be fully privatized. In 2000 therefore, public bidding for the Company was concluded and Scancem International ANS of Norway, a member of Heidelberg Cement Group was appointed as core investor and technical partner of the Company. Following a strategic re-orientation, Heidelberg Cement Group divested its CCNN shares in 2008. The Nigerian company Damnaz Cement Company Limited became CCNN’s new core investor.

In 2010, BUA International Limited acquired Damnaz Cement Company Limited and became indirectly the majority shareholder in CCNN and its technical partner.

4 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 9:11pm On Aug 03, 2014
Nice one NafeesaAA.

4 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 03, 2014
@prophtetone, thanks for the enlightment.

4 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by poiZon: 9:18pm On Aug 03, 2014
we hv these kind of people yet nigeria cant boast of 3 functional refineries. n most of the are into oil n gas yet no fuel in the country. its well o.

4 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by NafeesaAA(f): 9:21pm On Aug 03, 2014
Celebrating Arewa. FRONT PAGE MATERIAL

7 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by Nobody: 9:22pm On Aug 03, 2014
I love Abdul Samad simplicity....

2 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by NafeesaAA(f): 9:25pm On Aug 03, 2014
The longest Flyover In West Africa taking Shape In The Heart of Kano City

11 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by NafeesaAA(f): 9:27pm On Aug 03, 2014
cheesy

14 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 9:41pm On Aug 03, 2014
Chellco

Chellco Industries Limited, established in 1978 and today employing over 400 people, is Kaduna’s largest operational textile mill. Chellco is a professionally managed company having a blend of local and overseas employees, each carrying with them a set of professional and human values as well as expertise in their respective fields to deliver quality products. Success can be linked directly to Chellco’s modernization and backwards integration programs.

Chellco took over Blanket Manufacturing Company from Sunflag Group with a view to get Synergy effect and become a largest Blanket Manufacturing company in Nigeria as well as in West Africa. Chellco also took a major step towards diversification by installing an Acrylic Spinning plant for the manufacturing of Knitting yarn & Woven baby shawls.

1 Like

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by neena: 9:51pm On Aug 03, 2014
berem: Lagbake?
@post keep it coming. cool
No! tongue
Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 03, 2014
neena: No! tongue
hmm ok!
Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by prophetone(m): 9:58pm On Aug 03, 2014
The Coral Group

- Hospitality Management Company

- Owners and Managers of Shukura and Giginya 5 star Hotels Sokoto.

- Indigenous Company expanding to the UAE in 2014

2 Likes

Re: The Lions Den Of Arewa by Idrismusty97(m): 10:08pm On Aug 03, 2014
Op thanks for your time and effort you dedicate to this thread smiley. Mods frontpage!!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Saraki Visits His Family House In Agbaji, Ilorin / Obasanjo To Form A New Party As Alternative To PDP, APC Ahead Of 2023 / Nnamdi Kanu Arrives Abuja High Court In Handcuffs Ahead Of His Bail Hearing.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.