Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair (2067 Views)

"You’re My Father" -Student; "No, I’m Not, Please" – Ex -lawmaker / He Raped Me, Now Getting Married To My Best Friend... / Photos: The Girl Who Got Married To A Portrait Finally Replied Linda Ikeji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Ptoocool(m): 9:24am On Aug 04, 2014
When you’re married to a woman with natural hair… or a woman who wears her own hair…or a woman with any hair at all to be honest, you have to grow accustomed to certain things.
Let me try to list a few..

1) Watching her Bathroom Turn into a Mad Scientist’s Laboratory
On any given day, NaijaWife, when not harassing me over my television watching, will disappear for hours. Once I don’t hear her asking me “ what are you doing?” I know that means she has locked herself in the bathroom again.
I remember the first day I walked up to her bathroom door, curious to hear what was keeping her so long. Smoke was coming out of the bottom of the door, and I think I heard some screams.
Moving closer, I could hear voices inside the bathroom (which I later realized were the faint sounds of a youtube video) giving her the following instructions:
*.Add 1/2 cup of castor oil
*.Add 1 tsp of lavender oil
*.Add 10 drops of peppermint oil
I thought she was making a secret batch of candy until I heard the next few steps
*.Add 10 bat’s eyes
*.Add 1 goat’s head
*.Add the white feathers of a dove
WHAT was she making?! Herbal medicine? A witches potion?
Nope.
I may be exaggerating about the ingredients, but it turned out she was making yet another “team natural” concoction. Week after week I noticed she’d go through the same process until one day she came running out of the bathroom screaming:
“AT LAST! AT LAST! I”VE DONE IT! THEY SAID IT COULDN”T BE DONE! BUT I PROVED THEM WRONG! THEY WERE FOOLS TO DOUBT ME! I FINALLY MASTERED THE “SHEA BUTTER COCONUT MILK CHERRY BLOSSOM TREATMENT!” HAHAHAHA!
AT LAST! MY GREATEST CREATION IS COMPLETE! SCALP OIL!
Then she stuck her hair in my face.
LOOK! LOOK! JUST LOOK AT THAT CURL DEFINITION!
I don’t know what curl definition is. But I have learned the hard way to just smile, pat her on the back…and not ask her why her hair is smelling like amino acids.
She’s happy. That’s all that matters.

2) Watching my Wife Contort Herself into Strange Positions
No, not sexually. Hair-ally.
One day NaijaWife was shouting my name from the bedroom. Expecting that she was in trouble I ran quickly only to find her hanging upside down off of the bed.
Me: “Did you slide off?!”
NaijaWife: “NO. I’m doing the inversion method.”
Me: “The what?”
NaijaWife: “It allows the blood to rush to my head, stimulating hair growth. I need you to time me for 3 minutes. Then help me lift my head back up slowly.”
Me: “I have a better idea.”
NaijaWife: “Oh really? What?”
Me: “Do pushups for 3 minutes instead. That will make your hair grow faster.”
NaijaWife: “REALLY?!” *as she scrambled to get back up*
Me: “No.”

3) Saturday Nights Are Not Date Nights
They are for her hair. Saturdays belong to NaijaWife’s hair.
Me: “Let’s go out today.”
NaijaWife: “Nope. I’m washing my hair.”
Me: “OK but it’s only 12 noon now. Will you be done in an hour?”
NaijaWife:
Yeah that’s not going to happen
Me: “Um…will you be done in 2 hours?”
NaijaWife: “I’ll be done tomorrow morning.”

4) Rude Comments from Outsiders
I’ve watched my wife deal with strangers and even colleagues asking her stupid questions like
“Won’t you go and put relaxing cream in your hair like the other ladies?” - A man said this to her.
“What makes you think nappy hair like that is professional?” – A woman said this to her. Apparently it’s a common problem.
“Why do you carry the same hairstyle more than once a week? Can’t your husband pay for you to go to the salon?” – A few women said this to her.
“I don’t know how you do it. I couldn’t manage my hair like that sha. It’s just so…wild.” – She probably gets this comment every week given the way she reports it back to me.
So being the husband of a woman who proudly chooses to carry her own hair (most times), I’ve had to learn to be supportive and make a few suggestions for replies to such rudeness. For example…
“Won’t you go and grow some balls like the other gentlemen?”
“My hair is more professional than your attitude. Which is clearly why you’re still job hunting.”
“Why do you repeat the same stupid questions every week? Can’t your husband pay for you to acquire some manners?”
As feisty as she is though, she hasn’t yet used any of those retorts. She just walks away, then comes home to tell me about it.

5) Spur of the Moment Purchases
It’s a good thing she has her own budget for random expenditures…because we would probably fight if her product addiction came out of the household budget.
Me: “You bought something today. I just know it.”
NaijaWife: “Maybe…”
Me: “What did you buy?”
NaijaWife: “Conditioner.”
Me: “Didn’t you buy some last week?!”
NaijaWife: “But this one had really high reviews on naturallycurly.com ! They said it would make my hair shine. All I need to do is sit with it in my hair for 6 hours and it will permanently change my life!”
Me: “Did they also warn you it would permanently change your pockets?”
Her weaves aren’t exempt either. When she changes it up and wears weaves or braids (I know the difference now) I have to adjust accordingly and simply do the following:

6) Ignore When Your Wife Pats Herself on the Head Furiously
The first time she did that, I thought she was berating herself over something.
Me: “Darling…why are you hitting yourself?”
NaijaWife: “Oh no. I’m just scratching it.”
Me: “Why don’t you just scratch with your fingers?”
“NaijaWife: “Well I can’t reach my scalp through this weave….plus it doesn’t look nice to be scratching it.”
Me: “Do you think it looks better to box your brains out?!”
This does not look nice Ladies. Please.

7) Don’t Question the Exorbitant Amounts
Not that NaijaWife does this exactly. But she likes to suggest it every now and then.
NaijaWife: “Babe…I’m thinking of investing.”
Me: “That’s great! What do you want to invest in?”
NaijaWife: “Peruvian hair”
Me: “Eh? A Peruvian hair company?”
NaijaWife: “No.. a bundle of Peruvian hair. Or maybe two bundles… They say you can use it over and over again.”
Me: “Does a Peruvian come attached to the hair?”
NaijaWife: “No…..”
Me: “Yet you consider it an investment?”
NaijaWife: *Thinks for a while*…. “Yes.”
Me: “Then by all means. Carry on.

cool Get Used To The Secret Group Meetings
Me: “What you up to today?”
NaijaWife: “I have a meeting.”
Me: “On Saturday?”
NaijaWife: “Yes…with some girls.”
Me: “What kind of meeting?”
NaijaWife: “Em. Hair meeting…”
Me: “You mean the hair salon?”
NaijaWife: “No…natural hair women’s meeting.”
Me: “I see…when will they hold one for the husbands of women with natural hair?"

23 Likes

Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by merciie(f): 9:50am On Aug 04, 2014
Very funny, I can totally relate to this. Tried to go natural last year, got fed up and gave up
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Ptoocool(m): 10:03am On Aug 04, 2014
merciie: Very funny, I can totally relate to this. Tried to go natural last year, got fed up and gave up

Don't give up yet, give it one more shot..
You never can tell, it may look much easier dis tym around..
Its an awesome feeling going natural..
I'll advise you to try and relate with natural women, they'll offer tips and advice you on what to do, all the best..
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by sweetyEse(f): 10:13am On Aug 04, 2014
very funny!#teamnaturalhair wink

4 Likes

Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by MizMyColi(f): 1:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
Dear ptoocool.....kindy state your source as I've read all naija husband's story and I know this is his 2nd latest story.

Thank You wink

..............except you're naijahusband shocked shocked

Oh! & btw

#TeamLongNaturalHair cheesy
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by corisande: 3:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
cheesy
hahahaha
I don identify with some things already
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
Very nice one.

cheesy
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by bennyrazz: 4:26pm On Aug 04, 2014
sweetyEse: very funny!#teamnaturalhair wink
sorry excuse me? do you mean the hair in your DP is your natural hair

2 Likes

Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Ptoocool(m): 5:33pm On Aug 04, 2014
MizMyColi: Dear ptoocool.....kindy state your source as I've read all naija husband's story and I know this is his 2nd latest story.

Thank You wink

..............except you're naijahusband shocked shocked

Oh! & btw

#TeamLongNaturalHair cheesy

Here you go http://www.naijahusband.com/2014/07/08/married-woman-natural-hair/
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by sweetyEse(f): 7:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
bennyrazz: sorry excuse me? do you mean the hair in your DP is your natural hair
No dear...thats an old pix.

1 Like

Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by EfemenaXY: 9:40pm On Aug 04, 2014
Lol!

Nice thread! And to think I retouched, steamed, and tonged my hair only just yesterday... cheesy
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by rebella(f): 10:10pm On Aug 04, 2014
I can totally relate to this, on average it takes me 2 hours to wash my hair... the actual washing, deep conditioning, coffee/ tea rinse, detangling etc. I did the inversion method for 3 days and stopped.... was tired of explaining what I was doing upside down cheesy

1 Like

Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
Love it! What an amazing husband understanding the natural hair wife. Trust me, the journey is a challenge to everyone around you. And you dpi need all the support you can get. Lovely, just lovely!

2 Likes

Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by aderonila18: 6:01pm On Aug 05, 2014
I just went natural, bit easy but well worth it
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 06, 2014
sweetyEse: very funny!#teamnaturalhair wink
yeah to natural hair ! Hell no to the one from Brazil ! cheesy
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by mystiqueDZ(f): 6:32am On Aug 06, 2014
Hehe funny one...gimme a good locs and am good to go
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Bootybuttchic(f): 11:37am On Aug 06, 2014
OMG!! grin grin....OP U Killed me with lafff....dis post made my day..,,ur wife shld be real fun ooocheesy cheesy ......any ways
#TeamNatural

future husband wherever you are be ready to actually face this grin grin

#teamnatural grin

1 Like

Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Rute(f): 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2014
Nice writeup op u got me crackin up! Team natural all the way! U should see my bathroom cabinet I've become a product junkie. I'm still starting out though.
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by sweetyEse(f): 2:56pm On Aug 06, 2014
donroxy: yeah to natural hair ! Hell no to the one from Brazil ! cheesy
yay!cheesy
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Ptoocool(m): 4:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
Bootybuttchic: OMG!! grin grin....OP U Killed me with lafff....dis post made my day..,,ur wife shld be real fun ooocheesy cheesy ......any ways
#TeamNatural

future husband wherever you are be ready to actually face this grin grin

#teamnatural grin

lmao, my wyf?? Lyk serzly??

Yea, she'll be real fun tho..
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Bootybuttchic(f): 5:16pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ptoocool:

lmao, my wyf?? Lyk serzly??

Yea, she'll be real fun tho..
go johr...mistakenly tot it was ur wife.....jumped to comment grin
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Ptoocool(m): 5:38pm On Aug 06, 2014
Bootybuttchic: go johr...mistakenly tot it was ur wife.....jumped to comment grin

Owk, am going grin grin
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Fkforyou(m): 6:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
#Moral
For Married men,Learn to tolerate your wives.
For the unmarried,be ready to tolerate your future wife.

1 Like

Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by LaRoyalHighness(f): 9:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
I just love my natural hair..lol
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Ptoocool(m): 9:55pm On Aug 06, 2014
LaRoyalHighness: I just love my natural hair..lol

Why lol? Lyk u kiddinq mε?
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by LaRoyalHighness(f): 10:01pm On Aug 06, 2014
undecided
Ptoocool:

Why lol? Lyk u kiddinq mε?
Re: When You’re Married To A Woman With Natural Hair by Rhymeyjohn: 11:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
please folks, what do you guys mean by natural hair? or how does a hair remain natural after conditioning, noting that conditioner is a chemical. Don't mind the question, am an unfashionable male.

(1) (Reply)

People Busy Taking Pictures Of Suicide Victim In Magodo / Boy Lands In Hot Soup At Sugar Mummy’s House In Lagos / Is This Right In A Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.