Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,604 members, 7,801,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? (2083 Views)

7:06: The City Meeting - A Short Story / Fifty Shades Of Grey Vs Clan Of The Cave Bear, Discuss / Fan Of Mangas ? Let's Join And Discuss Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? by YourCoffin: 12:28pm On Aug 04, 2014
I'm currently working on a novel where my major character is a Project Manager who just landed his first oil drilling project contract. I want to create a scene where a meeting is organised to discuss how to proceed with the project. About ten managers in the various relevant departments (including the GM of the oil company that awarded him the contract and a belligerent Contracts Manager who doesn't like the infusion of a new project management style ) would have to attend the meeting. But I'm lost as to how to begin to frame the needed dialogues as I have little knowledge regarding the process of executing oil drilling projects in an oil firm. I have poured through countless materials for research purposes and found nothing helpful. Then it struck me that I could get a first hand experience here on Nairaland. So, I implore you guys with adequate knowledge on the dynamics of such meetings to help me out here. Thanks!

The main things I would like to garner are:
1. What is the name given to such kind of meetings?
2. What are the valid concerns that could be raised in such meetings?
3. Is the atmosphere during such meetings usually charged?
4.Which managers are the core players in an oil drilling project and what's their contribution during such meeting?
5. An average projected cost for drilling an offshore oil well in Nigeria is how much?
6. Can the Project Manager recruit external staff, maybe for contingency purposes even though the Contracts Manager is verbally against it?
7. Does the actual cost for an oil drilling project often exceeds the projected cost? If it does, by how many percent?
8 Are there any other relevant information I might have left out?

I'll appreciate your highly esteemed answers on this. If you'll be kind enough to point me to any fictious books centred on oil drilling projects, articles, journals, movies, TV series etc, all conveying extensive knowledge on oil drilling projects, I'll be grateful too. Thanks as I look forward to your comments.

Mods, if this's not the appropriate section for this piece, please move it to the correct one. Thanks!!!
Re: What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? by YourCoffin: 3:15pm On Aug 05, 2014
35 views and no comment?

Guys comment na!!! I dey beg una oO!!!
Re: What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? by top10nigeria(m): 11:36pm On Aug 10, 2014
1) Project Kickoff Meeting
2) Expectations from each other and emphasis on key things to remember
3) No - Just everybody with a list of what they expect from each other.
4) Drilling supervisor (He gives drilling plan & expectations in terms of scope and completions), production company man (He represents the owning company of the oil well on the rig during the drilling operation), reservoir engineer (He has the underground map of what they are going to see down there as they drill the well, the rig manager (He owns and manages the rig)
5) 40million dollars for a 5kbd well (Rigs charge 200-500k dollars/day depending on water depth, required completions etc. The floaters charge more)
6) No - All required personnel would have been included in the project package. What do you need this for.
7) Yes - typically 30% depending - Sometimes you have unprecedented downtime. So it is better to let the drilling company take liability for all downtime. I believe you have insurance on this project.

3 Likes

Re: What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? by top10nigeria(m): 11:57pm On Aug 10, 2014
Make sure I get a credit on the Novel.

1 Like

Re: What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? by YourCoffin: 12:51am On Aug 11, 2014
top10nigeria: 1) Project Kickoff Meeting
2) Expectations from each other and emphasis on key things to remember
3) No - Just everybody with a list of what they expect from each other.
4) Drilling supervisor (He gives drilling plan & expectations in terms of scope and completions), production company man (He represents the owning company of the oil well on the rig during the drilling operation), reservoir engineer (He has the underground map of what they are going to see down there as they drill the well, the rig manager (He owns and manages the rig)
5) 40million dollars for a 5kbd well (Rigs charge 200-500k dollars/day depending on water depth, required completions etc. The floaters charge more)
6) No - All required personnel would have been included in the project package. What do you need this for.
7) Yes - typically 30% depending - Sometimes you have unprecedented downtime. So it is better to let the drilling company take liability for all downtime. I believe you have insurance on this project.

Thank you sir! You've been immensely helpful with your comments. I now know where to point my research compass to.Please I need one more favour from you.

1. Can you provide me with the basic terms of agreement between the owning company and the drilling company?

2. I'm guessing the Project Manager is the one to come up with the project package and develope the project plan? Regarding your question on number six, I'll rephrase my question as thus: does the Project Manager usually have a leeway to recruit perhaps a Risk Assessment Officer from outside who he feels is more competent than those within?

3. Who hires the Project Manager, is it the owning company or the drilling company?

4. Can a sudden change in project management style affect the mindset of the workers involved? If it does, in what way and to what degree?

5. Can a Project Manager misappropriate the company's funds without them knowing during oil drilling projects?

6. What of the projected cost of an onshore oil drilling project?

7. How long does an onshore oil drilling project last?

Thanks!!!
Re: What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? by YourCoffin: 12:58am On Aug 11, 2014
top10nigeria: Make sure I get a credit on the Novel.

Of course, I will. The yam is nothing without the oil!!!

1 Like

Re: What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? by afrong: 8:35pm On Nov 17, 2014
FULL CORPORATE OFFER

We, the management of Marc Noel Contracting Ltd in Rivers State, Nigeria, with full knowledge of fraud and penalty of perjury, have the full authority and legal right to OFFER drilling chemicals for sale.

Wherein we declare with full corporate authority as follows;

1. Marc Noel Contracting Ltd is a registered company in
The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

2. The Chemical is of none criminal origin and is to be purchased under
the agreed specifications, terms and conditions;

DESCRIPTION OF COMMODITY ( CHEMICALS )

HYDROXY ETHYL CELLULOSE (HEC)
CARBOXY METHYL CELLULOSE (CMC)
METHYL ISO BUTYL KETONE (MIBK)
METHYL ETHYL KETONE
XANTHAN GUM
CAUSTIC SODA OR SODIUM HYDROXIDE
SODA ASH OR SODIUM CARBONATE
SODIUM BICARBONATE
BENTONITES
CALCIUM CARBONATE (coarse, medium, coarse) (This one is manufactured locally)
POTTASIUM HYDROXIDE
GUA GUM POWDER
BARITES OR BARIUM SULPHATE
CALCIUM CHLORIDE
POTTASIUM CHLORIDE
ACIDS
SALTS AND LYES
METHANOL
ETHANOL
ISOPROPANOL (IPA)
TOLUENE
XYLENE
HEXANE
ACETONE
ETHYLENE GLYCOL (MEG)
PROPYLENE GLYCOL (PEG)
DIETHYLENE GLYCOL (DEG)
TRIETHYLENE GLYCOL (TEG)
MONOETHANOLAMINES (MEA)
DIETHANOLAMINES (DEA)
TRIETHANOLAMINES (TEA)
ETC

THESE CHEMICALS ARE SOURCED FROM INDIA, CHINA, GERMANY, UK, SOUTH AFRICA AND MIDDLE EAST (SAUDI ARABIA AND UAE)

NB: PLEASE WHEN, MAKING YOUR ENQUIRIES ALWAYS STATE THE BRAND NAME OF THE CHEMICAL , GRADE OF THE CHEMICAL AND SPECIFICATION.

MODE OF PAYMENT:

WE ACCEPT LOCAL PURCHASE ORDERS (LPO), BANK INSTRUMENTS OR OUTRIGHT PURSHASE.

This OFFER is restricted to the terms and conditions set above and valid throughout the duration of the contract..

FOR ENQUIRIES-marcnoelcontracting@gmail.com
Re: What Do Project Managers Discuss In A Meeting During An Oil Drilling Project? by Nobody: 10:48am On Jun 02, 2015
YourCoffin:
I'm currently working on a novel where my major character is a Project Manager who just landed his first oil drilling project contract. I want to create a scene where a meeting is organised to discuss how to proceed with the project. About ten managers in the various relevant departments (including the GM of the oil company that awarded him the contract and a belligerent Contracts Manager who doesn't like the infusion of a new project management style ) would have to attend the meeting. But I'm lost as to how to begin to frame the needed dialogues as I have little knowledge regarding the process of executing oil drilling projects in an oil firm. I have poured through countless materials for research purposes and found nothing helpful. Then it struck me that I could get a first hand experience here on Nairaland. So, I implore you guys with adequate knowledge on the dynamics of such meetings to help me out here. Thanks!

The main things I would like to garner are:
1. What is the name given to such kind of meetings?
2. What are the valid concerns that could be raised in such meetings?
3. Is the atmosphere during such meetings usually charged?
4.Which managers are the core players in an oil drilling project and what's their contribution during such meeting?
5. An average projected cost for drilling an offshore oil well in Nigeria is how much?
6. Can the Project Manager recruit external staff, maybe for contingency purposes even though the Contracts Manager is verbally against it?
7. Does the actual cost for an oil drilling project often exceeds the projected cost? If it does, by how many percent?
8 Are there any other relevant information I might have left out?

I'll appreciate your highly esteemed answers on this. If you'll be kind enough to point me to any fictious books centred on oil drilling projects, articles, journals, movies, TV series etc, all conveying extensive knowledge on oil drilling projects, I'll be grateful too. Thanks as I look forward to your comments.

Mods, if this's not the appropriate section for this piece, please move it to the correct one. Thanks!!!

boss I have been following your threads both on the thread " Offshore oil worker lets meet here"

I am a graduate of computer science(2:1) with an Msc in Management of information systems(disitinction), I am pmp certified, ITIL certified, Oracle certified and PRince 2(foundation certified). I currently have a place I resume as a junior project manager in an IT company, the truth is i dont gain any experience in my current position, the project has been on a standstill for over a year now. Other than drafting correspondence, working on Microsoft project I just go resume and get paid for doing nothing. Some of my colleagues were recently sacked.

Now to my challenge, It has always been my long heart desire to work for an oil company, even if it is to start as a contract, as far as the training and exposure will be gained. I have tried so many times, sometimes i get dropped for not scaling through the test other times for some wierd reasons. I strongly desire to end up there, whether IT, drilling, Project management or HSE. My current discipline seems to be aligned with project management, but I lack the required experience, just entering my second year, without very active experience.

What advice do you have for me, am 27 yrs and age is catching up. I feel very frustrated and unfulfilled being very idle. I have applied and applied but i dont knw what is happening. Are there tips you can share? because i discovered many of these companies dont advertise, particularly for the contract positions. look forward to your response. IF you cant repsond here kindly send me a mail at oladipo10@googlemail.com will really appreciate.

Godbless

(1) (Reply)

The Real One / Meet Joel Miggler, The Man Who Put Holes In His Cheeks For Art / Wale Okediran; A Literary Citation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.