Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,712 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews (32480 Views)

How To Answer Tough Weird Google, Apple, Etc Interview Question / Some Questions Google Asks Potential Employees During Interview. / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by ein: 1:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
Interviews are never expected to be a breeze, especially if you are appearing for industry giants like Microsoft, Apple, Facebook etc. However, it is still possible to get stumped by a question like: 'How do you cut a circular cake into eight equal pieces?'

This question is part of jobs and career community website Glassdoor's annual list of ‘25 Tough Interview Questions'. We bring to you 10 toughest questions from the list asked during job interviews at top tech brands.

1 If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use.

2 How would you solve problems if you were from Mars?

3 What's the most creative way you can break a clock?

4 A disc is spinning on a spindle, and you don't know which way. You are given a set of pins. Describe how you would use them to determine which way the disc is spinning.

5 You have a bag of with "N" number of strings. At random, you pull out a string's end. You pull out another string end and you tie the two together. You repeat this until there are no loose ends left to pull out of the bag. What is the expected number of loops?

6 You want to design a phone for deaf people — how do you do it?

7 How would you design an elevator?

8 Why should we not hire you?

9 How do you compute the collision of two moving spheres? Give me both the mathematical equations for the solution as well as an algorithmic implementation.

10 Name as many Microsoft products as you can.

Source: www.zolamandesign.com

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by doeying(m): 1:10pm On Aug 04, 2014
I believe most of these questions test how creative you are....and how u react when faced with uncertainty...

Edit: lol..this first to comment thing gives a little bit of joy..no lies...lol...

22 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by ajasbaba(m): 1:15pm On Aug 04, 2014
this questions are really something else

3 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Ayomidewunmi: 1:26pm On Aug 04, 2014
If you could answer those question, then you shld be genius in creative mind. Front page things

1 Like

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by justinlmj(m): 1:42pm On Aug 04, 2014
front page tinz
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Super1759: 2:20pm On Aug 04, 2014
Ayomidewunmi: If you could answer those question, then you shld be genius in creative mind. Front page things
these questions don't have answers. Just to test how you reason

5 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by U1(m): 2:23pm On Aug 04, 2014
It's questions like these that make me think it will not be a bad idea to have my own business. grin

131 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by gmacnoms(m): 9:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
U1: It's questions like these that make me think it will not be a bad idea to have my own business. grin
It reminds me of d oda day i was takin a test frm one of dis coys. Mehn d qstns brot dis tot in2 me.. " If dem no wan employ pesin y dem no js tell us. Which one cum b all dis kind qstn.

44 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Seeeeeeee: 10:50pm On Aug 04, 2014
Why they should not hire you?
ANSWER
Because your company does not want to grow.

51 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by missdebs(f): 11:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
op pls post d answers
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 05, 2014
missdebs: op pls post d answers

Babe, there is no definite answer to em, it all depends on how you think. The question's are meant to test your thought process and creative thinking.
What Mr. A will say will most likely be different from what Mr. B would.
Reminds me of Mckinsey....Lol! Don't ask me what happened.
grin grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by seniorklop: 1:30am On Aug 05, 2014
i like this...why should we not hire u?

same reason u should hire me. itz either i build or destroy. hmmm d ball is in ur court oga.

6 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by shadowwalker101: 2:01am On Aug 05, 2014
post the answers plss
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Afrocatalyst: 2:05am On Aug 05, 2014
Really mind twisting questions. Thanks OP. Will adopt some for future interviews when trying to get good employees.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Olucheye(m): 2:07am On Aug 05, 2014
1 If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use.

1. Use it to Turn a traditional radio cassette.
2. Chop into small pieces, to be used spot markers
3. Remove the graphite in it and use it a lubricant for my lab machine or key lock as the need may arise.
4. Use to fix stubborn zip on my clothes.
5.open things sealed up in plaStic... Like a 5alive seal.
6. Put it in a ruler that has a hole on it and spin like we use to do in primary school. Helicopter of life, chief boredom savior.
7. Play drums and make music/noise.
8. The eraser could clean any corrections.
9. Would also serve as a makeshift ruler in times of desperate need. E.g plotting a graph... Axis X & Y.
10. A deadly weapon. For example, stabbing either the Carotid artery(ies) or jugular vein(s)

2. How would you solve problems if you were from Mars?
If I was from Mars, problems on earth will be alien to me, hence the need to go into explorative research to determine cause, effects, and proffered solution.

On a lighter note, I'd wake up from my dream and stop imagining if I was from Mars. It's certain already that in this life, i will never be from Mars...I'm already an earthling!

3. What's the most creative way you can break a clock?

Remove the battery or knock out the engine cold.It will still tell the right time twice everyday.

4. A disc is spinning on a spindle, and you don't know which way. You are given a set of pins. Describe how you would use them to determine which way the disc is spinning.

Drop the base of the pin first on the disk, the direction which the tip of the pin fall towards is the backward direction while the base will point forward.

5. You have a bag of with "N" number of strings. At random, you pull out a string's end. You pull out another string end and you tie the two together. You repeat this until there are no loose ends left to pull out of the bag. What is the expected number of loops?

Number of Loops = N/2 - X(string's end)

Mathematicians, kindly help.

6. You want to design a phone for deaf people — how do you do it?

It'll only have only a vibrat*r (which one is romance machine again Seun) and a compatible screen, then a software that coverts all voice calls to text on his phone.
2. Phone will come with a real or virtual keyboard to reply both voice and texts all in form of messages.
3. Each notifications will vibrate to notify him/her of all alerts

7. How would you design an elevator?

Traditional styled with a couple of extra designs such as being opaque to people on the outside for privacy, music while you ride it on high rise buildings, fresh air vent for occupants from people who fart while riding.

8. Why should we not hire you?

I hate being stereotypical. Hence, if the offered job position isn't going to offer me challenges that will afford me developmental and mental growth via deep thoughts and adept research, I'll get weary and bored which consequentially will impede my productivity and contributions as a staff.

9. How do you compute the collision of two moving spheres? Give me both the mathematical equations for the solution as well as an algorithmic implementation.

Sorry, I'm a graduate of the college of Medicine.
But I think it should be somewhat related to recoil speed.
If you remember Okeke Physics.

10. Name as many Microsoft products as you can.

Word, PowerPoint, Excel, spreadsheet, windows 97, 98, Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, internet explorer, Windows phone OS (Nokia Lumia Series) e.t.c

Permit me to add, I'm a fresh graduate who's actively seeking internship opportunities with Public health related NGO's but I'm not limited to that, as I'd appreciate any opportunity to put to active use my versatility in any organization. I'd appreciate any opportunity to prove myself.
Kindly send me a PM on NL if you've got any available opportunities.

Cheers!

378 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Afrocatalyst: 2:08am On Aug 05, 2014
Seeeeeeee: Why they should not hire you?
ANSWER
Because your company does not want to grow.
good.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by frankobaba(m): 2:10am On Aug 05, 2014
Extremely creative questions I must say...especially the one that talks about the box of pencils.
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by defendedvictim(m): 2:13am On Aug 05, 2014
na wa o..Dese questions sha. reminds me of wen I wrote lit-in-eng exam in sec sch. I didn't knw nothing!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 05, 2014
Box of pencils.....easy,I would use it to hold ten different things that aren't penails.
Why you should not hire me? I would be frustrated enough to start my business and buy your company

13 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Gluckdude(m): 2:18am On Aug 05, 2014
my own answer if i was being asked.

#4: i will drop the pin slightly at the edge of the rolling disc, the centripetal force will tilt it to the direction its rolling, thereby indicating if its clockwise or anticlockwise

#6: i will design a phone with a big screen, that only vibrates, with great sensor that can automatically write down their gestures on screen like a message.

#7: elevators are design with a pulley system, taking note of the force and maximum loads allowable.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by bigfrancis21: 2:23am On Aug 05, 2014

1 Like

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Nobody: 2:30am On Aug 05, 2014
These are hypothetical questions. The do not have a right or wrong answer the just test ur power of resoning
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by minimoha: 2:39am On Aug 05, 2014
another reason u should study logic and discrete mathematics
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Nobody: 2:45am On Aug 05, 2014
Wow

#3. Smash the clock for ground one time grin grin
No time for all this shiit

#9. Algorithm is not a prob

#8. Because I'm too good with computers, my company will be bigger than yours.

Finest boy seriously cracking his brain.

How would u solve problems if u were from Mars? undecided Jamb
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by holhuwaphemie: 2:53am On Aug 05, 2014
ein:
9 How do you compute the collision of two moving spheres? Give me both the mathematical equations for the solution as well as an algorithmic implementation
Like seriously?

I give up! sad
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Homguy(m): 3:00am On Aug 05, 2014
Three7Ty9:

Babe, there is no definite answer to em, it all depends on how you think. The question's are meant to test your thought process and creative thinking.
What Mr. A will say will most likely be different from what Mr. B would.
Reminds me of Mckinsey....Lol! Don't ask me what happened.
grin grin grin grin
Wetin happen oga mi?
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Chuukwudi(m): 3:00am On Aug 05, 2014
Lol, Wait oh, Must I pass through this to get a job?
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Nobody: 3:07am On Aug 05, 2014
Olucheye: 1 If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use.

1. Turn a traditional radio cassette.
2. Chop into small piece as for spot markers
3. Remove the graphite in it and use it a lubricant for my lab machine. (If need be)
6. Put a ruler that has a hole in it on it and spin like we use to do in primary school. Helicopter of life, chief boredom savior.
9. Would also serve as a makeshift ruler
10. A deadly weapon. For example, stabbing either the Carotid artery(ies) or jugular vein(s)

If I was from Mars, problems on earth will be alien to me, hence the need to go into explorative research to determine cause, effects, and proffered solution.

On a lighter note, I'd wake up from my dream and stop imagining if I was from Mars. As i will never be from Mars...I'm already an earthling!

Remove the battery or the engine. It will still tell the right time twice everyday.

4. A disc is spinning on a spindle, and you don't know which way. You are given a set of pins. Describe how you would use them to determine which way the disc is spinning.

Drop the base of the pin first on the disk, the direction which the tip of the pin fall towards is the backward direction while the base will point forward.

5. You have a bag of with "N" number of strings. At random, you pull out a string's end. You pull out another string end and you tie the two together. You repeat this until there are no loose ends left to pull out of the bag. What is the expected number of loops?

It'll only have only a vibrator and a big screen, that coverts all voice calls to text on his phone.
2. Phone will come with a real or virtual keyboard to reply both voice and texts all in form of messages.
3. Each notifications will vibrate to notify him of all alerts

Traditional styled with a couple of extra designs such as being opaque to people on the outside for privacy, music while you ride it on high rise buildings, fresh air vent for occupants from people who fart while riding.

I hate being stereotypical. Hence, if the offered job position isn't going to offer me challenges that will afford me developmental and mental growth via deep thoughts and adept research, I'll get weary and bored which consequentially will impede my productivity and contributions as a staff.

9. How do you compute the collision of two moving spheres? Give me both the mathematical equations for the solution as well as an algorithmic implementation.

Word, PowerPoint, Excel, spreadsheet, windows 97, 98, Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, internet explorer, Windows phone OS (Nokia Lumia Series) e.tc
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by MisterLongman(m): 3:14am On Aug 05, 2014
Olucheye: 1 If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use.

1. Turn a traditional radio cassette.
2. Chop into small piece as for spot markers
3. Remove the graphite in it and use it a lubricant for my lab machine. (If need be)
6. Put a ruler that has a hole in it on it and spin like we use to do in primary school. Helicopter of life, chief boredom savior.
9. Would also serve as a makeshift ruler

On a lighter note, I'd wake up from my dream and stop imagining if I was from Mars. As i will never be from Mars...I'm already an earthling!

Remove the battery or the engine. It will still tell the right time twice everyday.

It'll only have only a vibrator and a big screen, that coverts all voice calls to text on his phone.
3. Each notifications will vibrate to notify him of all alerts

Word, PowerPoint, Excel, spreadsheet, windows 97, 98, Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, internet explorer, Windows phone OS (Nokia Lumia Series) e.tc

25 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by Ezyp(m): 3:20am On Aug 05, 2014
ein:

3 What's the most creative way you can break a clock?

to Eat, Sleep, and Work More Efficiently

(I THINK THIS QUESTION RELATES TO YOUR BODY CLOCK)
Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by kasbeats(m): 3:30am On Aug 05, 2014
Afrocatalyst: Really mind twisting questions. Thanks OP. Will adopt some for future interviews when trying to get good employees.

chai,d OP don koba dose wey go find job for this man company.....

4 Likes

Re: 10 Tough Questions Google, Apple, Others Ask In Interviews by leonard509(m): 3:34am On Aug 05, 2014
Na questions be this!! no be naija,, ''do you have up to a decade experience in this field'' niicce interview for a fresher.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make / Online Paid Survey Site That Pays Nigerians! / He Said I Should Grease His Bed For A Job But I Politely Turned Him Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.