Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,791 members, 7,806,193 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship (93906 Views)

Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For 2015/16 TNRI Scholarship / Pls Anybody With The Latest Info About TNRI Scholarship? / Invitation To Help Nominate TNRI 2014/15 Scholarship Panel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 10:24am On Jan 02, 2015
The 2014/15 application is now closed. All applicants will receive an email from us before the end of the month

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 10:28am On Jan 02, 2015
The marking scheme for the essay is as follow:

The five key criteria they are to be assessed against are as follows:
1) Submission: (10 marks) – 10 marks will be allocated to each submitted essay

2) Clarity of purpose: (20 marks) – The applicants are expected to clearly state their arguments for deserving to be the recipient of the award

Poor (5 marks): The essay made no mention of TNRI nor states a reason for their application
Average (10 Marks): The essay made mention of TNRI and clearly stated their reason for applying
Good (15 marks): The essay made mention of TNRI, stated reason for applying and explained how they intend to make use of the opportunity
Excellent (20 marks): The applicant made a connection between history of good academic performance alongside financial challenges in addition to all the points needed to achieve a good rating

3) Content: (25 marks) – Applicants are expected to extensively connect the rationale behind their application with a convincing and realistic approach to their plans for the award
Poor (5 marks): No connection
Average (10 marks): Moderate Connection
Good (15 marks): Good Connection
Excellent (25 marks): Excellent Connection

4) Structures and Vocabulary: (20 marks) – Applicants are expected to be consistent in the use of tenses, coherent and concise as well as sequential with their delivery
Poor (5 marks): Far too many grammatical errors, inappropriate paragraphing and spacing, no flow to the essay delivery
Average (10 marks): Very little grammatical errors, acceptable flow to the essay delivery
Good (15 marks): Very little grammatical errors, good flow to the essay delivery and adequate use of paragraphs and spacing
Excellent (20 marks): No grammatical error, excellent flow to the essay delivery and appropriate use of paragraphs and spacing

5) Conclusion: (15 marks) – Applicants should provide a good summary of their argument
Poor (5 marks): No attempt made to provide relevant conclusion
Good (10 marks): Conclusion is provided but not entirely relevant to the essay
Excellent (15 marks): Conclusion is provided and relevant to the essay

Penalties to be applied by the marker on completion of the marking exercise
1) Eligibility - Automatic disqualification. The scheme is strictly for school leavers (Those not already at university). Any mention of an applicant being at university automatically excludes them from the assessment process.

2) Plagiarism – Automatic disqualification. Any plagiarized essay would receive an automatic exclusion from the assessment process

3) Exceeding word limit – 5 marks deducted

4) Use of text speak – 2 marks deducted for each slang or text acronyms used

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 12:25pm On Jan 12, 2015
Update
We have now finished marking the essays and the committee has endorsed that only applicants that score above the 95th percentile should progress through to the next stage.
As a result of the decision, 5 applicants out of 122 entries shall move to the second stage.

We are now in the process of sending out your individual outcomes so please ensure you check the email address you used in sending the entries.

How we arrived at the final 5
• 3 markers independent of the committee were recruited to help mark the essays
• Each essay was assigned a pseudonymised ID then forwarded to the markers
• The markers were instructed to strictly use the published marking guide as reference when marking the essays
• We decided to use percentile ranking so we can be consistent with our approach as well as having an appropriate measure after taking all marked essays into account.

1 Share

Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by pickabeau1: 11:07am On Jan 13, 2015
MizMyColi

Have u been through this thread
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by MizMyColi(f): 11:24am On Jan 13, 2015
pickabeau1:
Miz MyColi

Have u been through this thread

No.
Just perused now. What's up?
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by pickabeau1: 11:27am On Jan 13, 2015
MizMyColi:

No.
Just perused now. What's up?

You mentioned earlier that there were tales of favoritism or selectivism around TeHN programmes
This is an opportunity to see things for yourself
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by MizMyColi(f): 11:30am On Jan 13, 2015
pickabeau1:

You mentioned earlier that there were tales of favoritism or selectivism around TeHN programmes
This is an opportunity to see things for yourself

On the part of beneficiaries and TeHN's programmes? No.

Good job though.
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by pickabeau1: 11:44am On Jan 13, 2015
MizMyColi:

On the part of beneficiaries and TeHN's programmes? No.

Good job though.

well i dont get your reservations then..
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by MizMyColi(f): 11:49am On Jan 13, 2015
pickabeau1:

well i don't get your reservations then..

Not mine smiley
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by pickabeau1: 11:50am On Jan 13, 2015
MizMyColi:

Not mine smiley

Ok...its all good then

1 Like

Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by aymost1: 4:48pm On Jan 13, 2015
nice initiative.....is the scholarship for just one person?.
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 4:58pm On Jan 13, 2015
aymost1:
nice initiative.....is the scholarship for just one person?.
Yes
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by aymost1: 6:18pm On Jan 13, 2015
Ok...why not the first 3?..
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by aymost1: 6:41pm On Jan 13, 2015
I would like to get something straight!....from previous comments, I got to understand that its students that are starting school this year....what about students that gained admission in 2014 as of the time of essay submission, that applied, won't they be considered?..and their resumption is slated for this year(2015)....
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by deflover(m): 7:32am On Jan 14, 2015
hmmmm i know someone who has passed the 1st stage.........its good to know how to write..........if your money cant get you want you want......your skill should wink wink wink wink wink wink

thumps up to the initiators of this idea wink wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by aymost1: 11:49am On Jan 14, 2015
deflover:
hmmmm i know someone who has passed the 1st stage.........its good to know how to write..........if your money cant get you want you want......your skill should wink wink wink wink wink wink

thumps up to the initiators of this idea wink wink wink wink
who did?...is it a nairalander and his he or she affected by the admission session..2015/2016
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by deflover(m): 11:56am On Jan 14, 2015
aymost1:

who did?...is it a nairalander and his he or she affected by the admission session..2015/2016

yes he is a nairalander and a good writer........i dont knw what the next stage is but i believe they will want to put them in a room and ask them to write while they watch them.......

the admission time is wat i dont understand
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 11:58am On Jan 14, 2015
aymost1:
I would like to get something straight!....from previous comments, I got to understand that its students that are starting school this year....what about students that gained admission in 2014 as of the time of essay submission, that applied, won't they be considered?..and their resumption is slated for this year(2015)....
Students starting this year weren't disqualified from the process Sir

Only those that were currently at an higher institution at the time of their submission received an automatic disqualification
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 12:00pm On Jan 14, 2015
deflover:

yes he is a nairalander and a good writer........i dont knw what the next stage is but i believe they will want to put them in a room and ask them to write while they watch them.......

the admission time is wat i dont understand

jaybee3:
FAQs

1)Can I apply if I’m already at university
The application is strictly for secondary school leavers and applicants that have lost admissions due to financial constraints

2)When is the deadline for the application
Deadline is the 31st of December 2014

3)Can I apply if I only have SSCE result
Applicants are expected to have all the necessary requirements to gain admission into any of the federal university

4)Can I apply if I already have an admission for this year’s academic year
Yes you can apply but you will have to defer your admission

5)Can the scheme be extended to polytechnic
We are only accepting applications from prospective university students at this time

6)What can the award be used for
The award can ONLY be used towards payment of tuition fee. The winner will be expected to meet yearly CPGA target so they can continue receiving the support

7)Would there be more funding
The funding is fixed at 500k

8 ) How will the winner be selected
Submitted essays will be marked against expected competency for secondary school leavers. The applicants in the top percentile group shall go through to the second stage.

SSCE/UME results and submitted financial hardship evidence will be used to decide the winner of the TNRI scholarship.

Please see below, illustration of how we hope to select the winner (The yet to be selected decision panel will decide on specifics but we don’t expect the methodology to be too different from this)

Evidence of financial hardship will be aggregated using the following banding
Combined Income less than N40K = 50 points
Combined Income between N40.1K – 60K = 40 points
Combined Income between N60.1K – 80K = 30 points
Combined Income between N80.1K – 100K = 20 points

The UME and SSCE would be aggregated along the line of:

UME > 250 = 25 points
UME between 241 – 250 = 20 points
UME between 231 – 240 = 15 points
UME between 221 – 230 = 10 points
UME between 201 – 220 = 5 points

SSCE (grades aggregated to a max of 25 points)

A = 10
B = 8
C = 6

If the applicant took 9 papers then his/her aggregated score will be (sum of grades equivalent)/max possible score e.g.

Applicant A takes 9 papers and received results as follows:
5A’s and 4 B’s
=(( 50 + 32)/90)*25
His/her total aggregate for SSCE would be 22.7

If applicant B takes 6 papers and received results as follows:
6A’s and 1B
= ((60+8 )/70)*25
His/her total aggregate for SSCE would be 24.28

The applicant with the highest aggregate score shall be the winner of 2014/15 TNRI scholarship

Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by deflover(m): 1:21pm On Jan 14, 2015
jaybee3:

does this extend to National Open University of Nigeria .......can people who want to enter NOUN be able to qualify
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 1:23pm On Jan 14, 2015
deflover:

does this extend to National Open University of Nigeria .......can people who want to enter NOUN be able to qualify
NO Sir
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by aymost1: 1:24pm On Jan 14, 2015
jaybee3:

Students starting this year weren't disqualified from the process Sir

Only those that were currently at an higher institution at the time of their submission received an automatic disqualification

I saw something about deferment of admission....isn't that a big risk since the scholarship is for just one person.....an also the programme should be done in may, admission into Nigerian universities isn't that predictable. because someone passes jamb doesn't mean he will make the post jamb....so if someone that got the scholarship misses admission that year,what will happen?
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 1:34pm On Jan 14, 2015
aymost1:

I saw something about deferment of admission....isn't that a big risk since the scholarship is for just one person.....an also the programme should be done in may, admission into Nigerian universities isn't that predictable. because someone passes jamb doesn't mean he will make the post jamb....so if someone that got the scholarship misses admission that year,what will happen?

The terms and conditions are very clear. The scholarship is to be used for entry into a federal Institution for the 2015 entry. We can't be held responsible for anyone willing to take such risk.

The winner of the scholarship among the five that progressed to the second stage will be expected to have a confirmation of admission. That's part of the requirement. We don't expect them to lose admission for academic reasons
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by aymost1: 1:47pm On Jan 14, 2015
jaybee3:

The terms and conditions are very clear. The scholarship is to be used for entry into a federal Institution for the 2015 entry. We can't be held responsible for anyone willing to take such risk.

The winner of the scholarship among the five that progressed to the second stage will be expected to have a confirmation of admission. That's part of the requirement. We don't expect them to lose admission for academic reasons
so what if all the five had their admissions last year and are resuming this year? and none of them is starting in 2015/2016
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 1:50pm On Jan 14, 2015
aymost1:

so what if all the five had their admissions last year and are resuming this year?
Oga quit all these what IFs.

Scroll up to see how we plan (though yet to be ratified by the committee) to pick the recipient.

It's a very simple formula if you pay close attention

1 Like

Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by aymost1: 2:01pm On Jan 14, 2015
jaybee3:

Oga quit all these what IFs.

Scroll up to see how we plan (though yet to be ratified by the committe) to pick the recipient.

It's a very simple formula if you pay close attention
sorry about my question.... I need to understand it very well...
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by aymost1: 10:19pm On Jan 15, 2015
so whats next after confirmation, will they be notified if they will progress?
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by aymost1: 5:14pm On Jan 24, 2015
hey it aint fair ....I asked a question and no one wants to answer....is it bad to try to get information?
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 7:48pm On Jan 24, 2015
aymost1:
so whats next after confirmation, will they be notified if they will progress?
Everyone that submitted an application should have received feedback by now.
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by adahtony: 10:05am On Jan 26, 2015
jaybee3:

pls sir i wrote and submited my essay as early as october last year and i heard that team has sent a mail to the applicant on the progress of the 1st stage but i did not recieve any mail from them. I want to know if the essay has been marked and my stand on the competition. Pls how do i get to them because i sent them a mail and there was no reply.
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by adahtony: 10:08am On Jan 26, 2015
jaybee3:
The 2014/15 application is now closed. All applicants will receive an email from us before the end of the month
pls sir i applied but am yet to recieve any email from you. Am really disturbed about it
Re: Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship by jaybee3(m): 10:30am On Jan 26, 2015
adahtony:
pls sir i applied but am yet to recieve any email from you. Am really disturbed about it

Check this email acc: cj_achonwa@yahoo.com

I believe your entry was sent from that email account

PS: You are one of the 5 that made it through to the second round

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

12 Animals That Can Stay Without Food For A Long Time / UNIBEN Student Murdered Inside Hall 3 (Caution: Graphic Pic) / Covenant University's School Fees For 100 Level Students; 2016/2017 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.