Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) (6478 Views)

Asus Fonepad 7 Dual Sim Vs Tecno P9 Or Others / Review Of The Asus Zenfone 5 / Asus Fonepad 7 Discussion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by timbros(m): 8:51pm On Aug 04, 2014
I saw this 7" Tablet with a friend some days ago. After handling it for some minutes, I just fell in love with it. On getting home, I did some research and came up with this specifications:

Operating System
AndroidTM 4.3
Display
7" LED Backlight WXGA (1280x800) Screen
IPS Panel
10 finger multi-touch support
CPU
Intel® Atom™ Z2520 Dual-Core, 1.2 GHz
Memory
1GB
Storage
8GB
16GB One Year ASUS Webstorage Space *2
Network Standard
HSPA+ UL:5.76 Mbps/DL:42 Mbps
3G :
WCDMA :
850/900/1800/1900
2G :
EDGE/GSM : 850/900/1800/1900,
Wireless Data Network
WLAN802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth V4.0
Camera
1.2 MP Front Camera ( 720p Video Recording )
5 MP Rear Camera ( 1080p Video Recording )
Audio
High Quality Speaker
Interface
1 x Micro USB (USB OTG support)
1 x 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in)
1 x MicroSD,supports up to 64GB of additional storage
2 x Micro SIM Card Slot(Dual SIM Sku)*1*4
Sensor
G-Sensor, E-compass, Proximity
Battery
10 hours; 15Wh Li-polymer Battery *3
Standby Time
720 hours(3G)
Navigation
GPS, GLONASS & AGPS
Color
Gary/
White
Dimensions
199.5 x 120.8 x 11.35 mm (WxDxH)
Weight
340 g
Note
*1: May vary by SKU and country.Some storage capacity has been set aside for the operating system and pre-installed apps. Actual usable storage space may differ from advertised storage.
*2: Please visit www.asuswebstorage.com for more details.
*3: Battery life will vary according to use. Battery life measured by looping 720P video, brightness at 100nits, external microphone, WLAN/3G on and Gmail logged in for email and updates.
*4: ASUS Fonepad 7 uses the latest Micro SIM standard. Please acquire the standardized Micro SIM card from your mobile service provider. If you cut the SIM card yourself, the tablet may not be able to detect the SIM card due to improper contact points between the SIM card and the tablet.
Package Contents(Included in box)
Adapter & Power plug, Manual, Warranty card

Now going through Konga.com, I got this prices:

Model FE170CG: ₦21,995 http:///asus-fonepad-7-dual-sim-fe170cg-3g-1gb-4gb-hdd-7-inch-tablet-black
Model ME175CG: ₦27,995 http:///asus-fonepad-7-dual-sim-me175cg-3g-1gb-8gb-hdd-7-inch-tablet-black

Now my question is: Who have used this product before? Is it durable? Considering the specs, are the prices a good bargain? Please gurus, look at the spec very well and advice me if its a good buy. I'm not much of a gamer but I browse a lot, download a lot and play some music too.

How good is this device please?

[img]http:///media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/e/res_400fd3da8d48e2f47f9259b894ce3deb.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/s/asus-fonepad-7-3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://fptshop.com.vn/Uploads/images/may-tinh-bang-asus-fonepad-7-dual-sim.jpg[/img]
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 9:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
Both tablets are from the home of Asus, the OEM that worked in collaraboration with Google to produce the Nexus 7.

The FE170CG (2014) is the refresh/update of the previous version ME175CG. Bot tabs have the Intel Atom Z2520 under the hood with a Power VR GPU.

The 2014 edition is upgradable to Android 4.4 KitKat - the latest version of Android.

It is a good tablet, rugged and on the budget side. I will buy this weekend. Let me know if you've got further questions.
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by rattlesnake(m): 11:56pm On Aug 04, 2014
nothing to write home about

my tab is 3GB ram
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by timbros(m): 5:59am On Aug 05, 2014
claycares: Both tablets are from the home of Asus, the OEM that worked in collaraboration with Google to produce the Nexus 7.

The FE170CG (2014) is the refresh/update of the previous version ME175CG. Bot tabs have the Intel Atom Z2520 under the hood with a Power VR GPU.

The 2014 edition is upgradable to Android 4.4 KitKat - the latest version of Android.

It is a good tablet, rugged and on the budget side. I will buy this weekend. Let me know if you've got further questions.

Thanks man.

@bolded: How come the upgrade/update is cheaper than the previous version?
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by timbros(m): 6:00am On Aug 05, 2014
rattlesnake: nothing to write home about

my tab is 3GB ram

So are you saying 1gb ram is bad?
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 9:34am On Aug 05, 2014
timbros:

Thanks man.

That's Asus and technology for you, as the days go by the prices of parts go down.

The differences are the 2014 edition is lighter than the Sept 2013 edition; capacitive touchscreen (cheaper), 16M colors against IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors (more expensive); 600 x 1024 pixels that's about 170ppi against 800 x 1280 pixels - 214ppi; 2 MP/VGA camera against 5MP/1.2MP rear and front cameras on the 2013; video is HD in the 2014 while 2014 is Full HD (another drop); system on a chip (processors) Intel Atom Z2520 against Intel Atom Z2560 (I have compared both performances are almost at per apart their clocked speed at 1.2GHz and I.6GHZ respectively with same GPU); and lastly, the same battery but the 2014 has an advance optimization which means longer battery life.

As for the 1GB ram, are you actually using the 3GB under the hood? I bet you, you don't up to 2.3GB. The 1GB ram in the Fonepad shouldn't be a problem as Kitkat requirement is 512MB which is less than 1GB. The 1GB will not affect game performance since games actually use GPU with little amount of CPU + ram. So, the tab will definitely perform well. The only issue you'd have is multitasking which didn't pose a problem for Clover Trail, not to mention Clover Trail+ which is in the Fonepad 7 2014. You see, considering the price and the manufacturer, it is a good deal. At least better than the Ts and the Gs (I dont want to mention names so I don't get insulted here) that has flooded the Nigerian market. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 9:35am On Aug 05, 2014
timbros:

Thanks man.

Replied twice, edited.
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by timbros(m): 10:06am On Aug 05, 2014
claycares:

Replied twice, edited.

Hmmm...

Thanks for this detailed explanation. Now which do I go for? 2013 or 2014? From your explanation, it seems the Sept 2013 version is slightly higher. Whats your advice?
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 11:23am On Aug 05, 2014
timbros:

Hmmm...

Thanks for this detailed explanation. Now which do I go for? 2013 or 2014? From your explanation, it seems the Sept 2013 version is slightly higher. Whats your advice?
I'd advise you go for the 2014 refreshed edition but if picture quality is in your priority then go for the 2013 version. The new edition has a smaller bezel and looks modern than that large bezel on the previous version. The clocked speed and benchmarks are at most times theoretical, real life differences in performance will be insignificant.
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by timbros(m): 1:02pm On Aug 05, 2014
claycares: I'd advise you go for the 2014 refreshed edition but if picture quality is in your priority then go for the 2013 version. The new edition has a smaller bezel and looks modern than that large bezel on the previous version. The clocked speed and benchmarks are at most times theoretical, real life differences in performance will be insignificant.

Thanks
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by Mariesio: 1:20am On Aug 06, 2014
claycares:

That's Asus and technology for you, as the days go by the prices of parts go down.

The differences are the 2014 edition is lighter than the Sept 2013 edition; capacitive touchscreen (cheaper), 16M colors against IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors (more expensive); 600 x 1024 pixels that's about 170ppi against 800 x 1280 pixels - 214ppi; 2 MP/VGA camera against 5MP/1.2MP rear and front cameras on the 2013; video is HD in the 2014 while 2014 is Full HD (another drop); system on a chip (processors) Intel Atom Z2520 against Intel Atom Z2560 (I have compared both performances are almost at per apart their clocked speed at 1.2GHz and I.6GHZ respectively with same GPU); and lastly, the same battery but the 2014 has an advance optimization which means longer battery life.

As for the 1GB ram, are you actually using the 3GB under the hood? I bet you, you don't up to 2.3GB. The 1GB ram in the Fonepad shouldn't be a problem as Kitkat requirement is 512MB which is less than 1GB. The 1GB will not affect game performance since games actually use GPU with little amount of CPU + ram. So, the tab will definitely perform well. The only issue you'd have is multitasking which didn't pose a problem for Clover Trail, not to mention Clover Trail+ which is in the Fonepad 7 2014. You see, considering the price and the manufacturer, it is a good deal. At least better than the Ts and the Gs (I dont want to mention names so I don't get insulted here) that has flooded the Nigerian market. Hope this helps.

Hi pls which of these has sim card slot and which will U recommend :

ASUS MeMO Pad 8 16GB Tablet
ASUS MeMO Pad 8 ME181C-A1-WH 8-Inch Tablet
Dell Venue 8 32 GB Tablet (Android)

thanks
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by shadowwalker101: 1:49am On Aug 06, 2014
isnt this thread a double
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by timbros(m): 9:50am On Aug 06, 2014
shadowwalker101: isnt this thread a double
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]

Double how?
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 8:32pm On Aug 06, 2014
Mariesio:

Hi pls which of these has sim card slot and which will U recommend :

ASUS MeMO Pad 8 16GB Tablet
ASUS MeMO Pad 8 ME181C-A1-WH 8-Inch Tablet
Dell Venue 8 32 GB Tablet (Android)

thanks

I'm afraid none.
Asus MeMO Pad 8 ME181C-A1-WH Tablet - is a wifi only tablet
Dell Venue 7 & 8 - wifi only
ASUS MeMO Pad 8 16GB Tablet - some variants may have, not sure.
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by Mariesio: 9:33pm On Aug 06, 2014
claycares:

I'm afraid none.
Asus MeMO Pad 8 ME181C-A1-WH Tablet - is a wifi only tablet
Dell Venue 7 & 8 - wifi only
ASUS MeMO Pad 8 16GB Tablet - some variants may have, not sure.

Oh thanks , pls which 8' /9' tablet can u recommend from amazon pls
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by Largeman4uall(m): 11:34pm On Aug 06, 2014
Can Dstv driffta work on Asus tablet 2014 and 2013
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 7:41am On Aug 07, 2014
Largeman4uall: Can Dstv driffta work on Asus tablet 2014 and 2013

Depends on your budget and features you want, 3G, size,, etc. For me the Nexus 7 flo (2013 ed. is the best on Amazon. You can also try the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7-Inch, Black) - ATT 4G LTE is a good one. It is different from other variants because it has a 1.5GB RAM with similarly diff processor. The Asus Memo Pads variants are also a good buy, however most of them are wifi only. Ebay will make more sense.
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by timbros(m): 7:49am On Aug 07, 2014
claycares:

Depends on your budget and features you want, 3G, size,, etc. For me the Nexus 7 flo (2013 ed. is the best on Amazon. You can also try the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7-Inch, Black) - ATT 4G LTE is a good one. It is different from other variants because it has a 1.5GB RAM with similarly diff processor. The Asus Memo Pads variants are also a good buy, however most of them are wifi only. Ebay will make more sense.

Where do you buy from, amazon or eBay? And are you in Yankee or Naija?
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by bemagnify: 8:35am On Aug 07, 2014
CUSTOMER REVIEW OR MORE INFOR IS NEEDED IN DIS PRODUCT!
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 9:11am On Aug 07, 2014
bemagnify: CUSTOMER REVIEW OR MORE INFOR IS NEEDED IN DIS PRODUCT!
If I can find it for N20k or less I can buy and review for the house.
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by mummyf(f): 9:59am On Aug 07, 2014
I just stumbled on this thread.please who knows if this asus fonepad can do MS word and attach documents?
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by bemagnify: 10:30am On Aug 07, 2014
claycares: If I can find it for N20k or less I can buy and review for the house.
AM CONSIDERING IT TOO, KONGA SELS IT FOR N21,500 ! BT HONESTLY DOES THE FONE HAS KITKAT!
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 11:05am On Aug 07, 2014
mummyf: I just stumbled on this thread.please who knows if this asus fonepad can do MS word and attach documents?
You can achieve that but maybe not through MS Word unless you subscribe (not sure about this later path). But there are tones of apps on the Play store that you can edit Word documents with and attach via Gmail, Yahoo etc or the Chrome browser. Google docs, Office Suite, MS Office are just few of the apps. So buy with confidence smiley

1 Like

Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 2:36pm On Aug 07, 2014
bemagnify: AM CONSIDERING IT TOO, KONGA SELS IT FOR N21,500 ! BT HONESTLY DOES THE FONE HAS KITKAT!
That's the 4GB version. The tablet comes only in in 4GB/8GB. Although the tablet comes with a micro SD card slot for storage of personal files and applications, I'd advise you get the 8GB version. The basis for this is that the 4GB version will only have at best less than 1.5GB space for application storage considering the fact that the 4GB will also be used in storing the Android OS, Asus Zen UI and OEM apps. That app space may bump up if you go for the big sister which comes with 5+GB free space (although this may not guarantee even up to 1.5+GB app memory space as app memory space is usually different from space for storing personal files. And yes of course it is up-gradable to Kitkat. Asus has been working with Android for sometime now and I saw it on their website as well as user comments from other foreign forum.
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by robinicule(m): 2:48pm On Aug 07, 2014
pls how can i get d 8 gig version. dnt wanna buy from konga...pls i stay in ibadan
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 3:01pm On Aug 07, 2014
robinicule: pls how can i get d 8 gig version. dnt wanna buy from konga...pls i stay in ibadan
Honestly, I have no idea about that and I've only seen it on Konga and Jumia. You may want to send a Facebook message to Asus via Asus Fanpage.
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by timbros(m): 3:43pm On Aug 07, 2014
I don't think you can get this tab from anywhere except konga and jumia for now.

I read its upgradeable to KitKat.
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by robinicule(m): 4:09pm On Aug 07, 2014
claycares: Honestly, I have no idea about that and I've only seen it on Konga and Jumia. You may want to send a Facebook message to Asus via Asus Fanpage.
owkay. what about d 4gig den
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by bemagnify: 4:56pm On Aug 07, 2014
claycares:
That's the 4GB version. The tablet comes only in in 4GB/8GB. Although the tablet comes with a micro SD card slot for storage of personal files and applications, I'd advise you get the 8GB version. The basis for this is that the 4GB version will only have at best less than 1.5GB space for application storage considering the fact that the 4GB will also be used in storing the Android OS, Asus Zen UI and OEM apps. That app space may bump up if you go for the big sister which comes with 5+GB free space (although this may not guarantee even up to 1.5+GB app memory space as app memory space is usually different from space for storing personal files. And yes of course it is up-gradable to Kitkat. Asus has been working with Android for sometime now and I saw it on their website as well as user comments from other foreign forum.
TANX 4UR EXPLANATIONS.. I TROWEY SALUTE

1 Like

Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by AwesomeRomeo: 5:09pm On Aug 07, 2014
claycares:
Pls bro, suggest a very good tab for me and d price. Tanx.
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by claycares: 11:41am On Aug 08, 2014
AwesomeRomeo: Pls bro, suggest a very good tab for me and d price. Tanx.
It all depends on what you want:

speed/performance
Nexus 7, LG G Pad, Dell Venue 7 & 8 (wifi only), Asus Memo Pad, Asus Fonepad)

Picture quality (though it's awkward taking photos with a tablet but that seems to be the trend in Nigeria - look for 5+MP camera)

Regular updates (Nexus 7 or 10; and recent Asus tablets)

Size - 7 and 8 inches are good sizes

Picture and video display quality - at least peg it at 600 x 1200 resolution (not HD but okay) which will give you roughly about 171 pixel per inch on a 7inch tab and less on an 8inch tablet.

Hope it helps
Re: The Asus Fonepad 7 (pictures) by AwesomeRomeo: 5:26pm On Aug 10, 2014
claycares:
It all depends on what you want:

speed/performance
Nexus 7, LG G Pad, Dell Venue 7 & 8 (wifi only), Asus Memo Pad, Asus Fonepad)

Picture quality (though it's awkward taking photos with a tablet but that seems to be the trend in Nigeria - look for 5+MP camera)

Regular updates (Nexus 7 or 10; and recent Asus tablets)

Size - 7 and 8 inches are good sizes

Picture and video display quality - at least peg it at 600 x 1200 resolution (not HD but okay) which will give you roughly about 171 pixel per inch on a 7inch tab and less on an 8inch tablet.

Hope it helps
Tanx bro. Wat about there prices?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wow!!! October 2016 Best Airtel Data Plan Bundles & Codes / This Stunning Photo Was Taken With The Huawei Mate 20 Pro / Nec E616 Codes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.