Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,897 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / . (1565 Views)

I Need Ur Help / Simper Server, Psiphon, Http Injector And Other Vpns Come In And Lodge Your Comp / Don't Just Learn To Code, Learn How To Think Like A Comp Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by FILEBE(m): 9:28pm On Oct 16, 2008
programing
Re: . by pystar: 2:42am On Oct 17, 2008
Since you are just starting, i would recommend Python to you. It is the best language to start with. I have lots of books that i can send to you if you are interested in it.
Re: . by FILEBE(m): 9:41am On Oct 17, 2008
Re: . by yawatide(f): 11:49am On Oct 17, 2008
Though I can't recommend any books currently (they might be available via google), I think you should actually read up on logic before embarking on learning any language, no matter how simple it is to understand. Why? because at the heart of any programming language is the ability to think logically. After you are able to do that, you can then pick up the language of your choice.

You need to think in pseudo-code before you start actually coding. For example, let's take a situation where I ask you to design software to mimic a car's breaks. You could think like this:

Start car
Put car in drive
Accelerate
If too close to another car then
step on breaks
if still too close to car then
step on breaks even harder
else
gradually release breaks and start accelerating
else
keep accelerating

I know it's not the best example but hopefully you get my point. Once you have this down, trust me, you can then pick up the language of your choice.

If you already understand how to think in pseudo-code,then forget all I just said and go for the other poster's advice grin
Re: . by candylips(m): 1:58pm On Oct 17, 2008
Just pick up a book and a compiler and start writing some darn code.
If you can't learn by this method then you will probably always struggle anyways
Re: . by FILEBE(m): 9:47am On Oct 20, 2008
Re: . by a4extra: 1:41pm On Oct 20, 2008
1.) Get a good PC.
You will need to have a good computer (desktop/laptop) laptop perferably for mobility reason.

2.) Decide which language (or technology) you want start with.
The major two competing leading technologies in the world of software and/or web development today are : Java and .NET (pronounced dot net). You can choose any of these technologies to start with. Although, other languages also exist like PHP, Perl, Rubby etc

3.) Gather study materials(books and videos) on your chosen technology or language.
Thank God for the internet, today its now possible to access good resources from the internet almost free of charge. Most expecially, for software development, there is a lot of resources (books, vodeos, journals, articles, weblogs, forums) that you can get absolotely fee of charge. Let me give you just a few online resources that i a have used in the recent past.
Books: www.ebookshare.net, www.4sahred.com
Videos: www.asp.net
articles: www.codeproject.com, www.javaworld.com, www.aspalliance.com
weblogs: www.joelonsoftware.com
forum: www.forums.microsoft.com/MSDN
and many more. The list unending. Just ask google the right questions.

4.) The Internet
This is not mandatory, But it is neccassary. As we all know, internet is a best source of information and resources.

5.) One or more developer friend(s).
This aspect is very important for a newbie in software development. The reason is simple. This is the person that will be putiing you through most of the time when you run into troubles. I believe there is a lot of crazy passionate developers on nairaland. You can decide making some of the your friend in case of when you will need their assistance. Also you may find friends in your school or your enviroment. Enquire about the programmer in your community. Make them good friends so they can put you thruogh.

6.) Last but not the least, YOUR TIME
This is the most important in all that i have mentioned. You really have to be ready to give a lot of your time to it. This is one of the best venture of out time. But the funny thing is it does not require any capital. All the capital required is your time. You must be ready to sacrifice a lot your time, both day and night.
Re: . by FILEBE(m): 6:50pm On Nov 04, 2008
Re: . by rancetech(m): 12:24pm On Nov 06, 2008
Why don't you learn basic computer operations and stuffs like that first?
Re: . by donkoleone(m): 4:19pm On Nov 07, 2008
Well uv done well by likin programming,i recommend the following steps to take,CHOOSE A PARTICULAR LANG. THAT U LIKE AND GET BOOKS ON THAT LANG., SEARCH GOOGLE AND DOWNLOAD SOFTWARES AND IDES USEFUL FOR UR LANG. I SUGGEST NETBEANS SINCE IT DEVELOPS C++,JAVA,RUBY., LASTLY DEVOTE UR TIME TO IT WELL,.GOOD LUCK wink
Re: . by techwiz: 6:23pm On Nov 07, 2008
if u are interested in learning Visual Basic then visit http://vb-html-made-easy.ning.com, that's your best place to start. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Sql Server In Vb.net / programmers Please Help A Friend on visual basic. / Nigerian Tech Whizkid CHRIS KWEKOWE Reveals Why He Turned Down Bill Gate's Offer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.