Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? (5716 Views)

See This BIG Crab Am About To Eat / When You Annoy Your Mum On Christmas Day / Nairalanders,what Type Of Food Do You Hate/detest Most (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by damiso(f): 12:02pm On Oct 17, 2008
The milk thread just made remeber all the foods i now hate due to my mom forcing me to eat it.

Ogi(pap) and akara;that was sat morn breakfast and if u did not eat it no breakfast,gosh how i hated sat mornings.

Lafun(its the white form of amala);YUK hate it till, today you can never see it in my house.

Boiled Sweet and irish potato;can stand the irish one a lil now but only as fries but due to my new eating healthy regimen i can manage it baked.

Boiled Eggs;till today egg is one my least favourite foods the smell makes me feel nauseous and we had boiled eggs one way or the other at least 3 times a week and na by force u must chop am.agreed it was for my own good and health but it just made me dislike it.Till today rarely eat eggs,if my hubby does'nt it it can lie there for months.

Powdered milk;hate this as well guess it was the aparthied behind it.

There are some more but cant remember will get back with them.So what are the foods you hated as a kid that ur mom made u eat?
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by bece: 4:28pm On Oct 17, 2008
I hated Ogi and Akara on saturdays but by force u must chop.Beans too my mum use to tell us beans is protein and u need it ha God i hated it so much now my son too cant stand the sight of beans.i remember again that then my mum use to force me to eat chicken i hated chicken then cos we had a poultry then but now i can eat a whole chicken ;DFufu aha u must eat it with egusi soup by force.But now i have started going thru what my mum must have gone thru that time cos my children does not like eating some food too and i can force them grin
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by ifyalways(f): 8:06pm On Oct 17, 2008
Tapioka and african salad sad sad still dislike them till date sad
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by lucabrasi(m): 12:57am On Oct 18, 2008
mine was ogi as well and beans,titus fish,snails(cant stand it)egg,goat meat(the smell)
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by tpia: 2:31am On Oct 18, 2008
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by KarmaMod(f): 2:36am On Oct 18, 2008
Beans.

Stock fish. Disgusting.
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by omoge(f): 3:18am On Oct 18, 2008
i  hate ogi and akara too lol

poundo yam it makes me sleep. i always play with it, roll it between my palm to a long roll dip it in soup and then raise it upward. it makes my mom look at me in a funny way and start lecture how it is good for me  grin

spinach in stew i hate them

bean i hate it, i prefer moi moi. dad will lecture that bean is better than moimoi lol

milk in ogi i hate it

rice mix with bean, i spent the entire meal time seperating the bean from the rice with my two fingers grin make mom mad too grin

today, i now eat them. i make akara and use it with Vanilla Pudding smiley
i eat bean if i can be patient cooking it.

i eat spinach like no man biz now. how i took many things for granted grin
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by TOYOSI20(f): 3:41am On Oct 18, 2008
Yam Porridge shocked shocked shocked shocked embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by plusQueen: 3:44am On Oct 18, 2008
Okro soup reminds me of spirogyra and initiate vomiting,still don't eat it
once saw a dead cockroach in bitterleaf soup,still cannot eat it.
I hated  seeing onions in food,cooked and uncooked,any sight of onions,will not eat it then but don't care now.
yam porridge still makes me throw up,even though I like it
beans porridge,yuck! and that was the first meal my now hubby gave me when I visited him for the first time,I had diarrhoea lipsrsealed
still can go months without eating "swallow",they make me throw up.

I almost starved to death in boarding school.
Thank God for cabin biscuit
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by KarmaMod(f): 9:53pm On Oct 18, 2008
Cabin is more disgusting that everything that has been listed on this thread, osisi

yuck!
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by savanaha: 10:01pm On Oct 18, 2008
plus_Queen:

Okro soup reminds me of spirogyra and initiate vomiting,still don't eat it
once saw a dead cockroach in bitterleaf soup,still cannot eat it.
I hated  seeing onions in food,cooked and uncooked,any sight of onions,will not eat it then but don't care now.
yam porridge still makes me throw up,even though I like it
beans porridge,yuck! and that was the first meal my now hubby gave me when I visited him for the first time,I had diarrhoea lipsrsealed
still can go months without eating "swallow",they make me throw up.

I almost starved to death in boarding school.
Thank God for cabin biscuit

My mom loves Cabin biscuit. She buys tons of it from the African Market and no one eats it but her. I have never met a Nigerian that hated Okra soup. I love it. Yam and beans porridge ugh I hate andcooked corn. I don't vomit but I'd rather go hunger than eat them. My mother never really forced us to eat and thing and she usually cooked what we like. She's got it like that.
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by damiso(f): 11:08am On Oct 20, 2008
KarmaMod:

Cabin is more disgusting that everything that has been listed on this thread, osisi

yuck!

Thank you for reminding of one of the things i hated the most;Cabin biscuits sad gosh how i hated the dry taste.
Also hate beans,now got a good excuse to not to eat it after i was diagonised with ulcers.Have not had it in yrs tho its one of my hubby's best foods so he cooks it himself and gives me agood excuse not to cook when he is in the mood for it. tongue

Also hated custard and tapioca with a passion,now manage custard but tapoica is still a no-no.

I guess when i become a mother il understand what she must have been feeling cos i don't really eat junk eg macdonalds,KFC etc would be a very rare treat and am sure they too might be bored with fruits and veg all the time.What my mom used to say then was that she wanted us to have a variety so we had a timetable with so many foods i hated.Remember Saturday and monday as the days i hated and sun being the best food day.Guess it goes with the territory of being a mother.
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by Gamine(f): 6:48pm On Oct 20, 2008
Eba.
This is legendary, the day my sister broke World record of eating eba and vegetable soup, yack!

She spent EIGHT hours eating it, while i bowed out at SIX. lol

it wasnt funny that day o!

We later devised a method of eating it, At the table we would pocket it when my mum wasnt looking or around the table

then we would go fling it over the balcony. cheesy

Sorry Neighbors
! embarassed

Akara

The smell is just nauseating!

Okro Soup

i hate it, ive prayed to God not to give me a Husband who likes this soup.
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by Classigal(f): 9:34pm On Oct 30, 2008
Gamine:

Eba.
This is legendary, the day my sister broke World record of eating eba and vegetable soup, yack!

She spent EIGHT hours eating it, while i bowed out at SIX. lol

it wasnt funny that day o!

We later devised a method of eating it, At the table we would pocket it when my mum wasnt looking or around the table

then we would go fling it over the balcony. cheesy

Sorry Neighbors
! embarassed

Akara

The smell is just nauseating!

Okro Soup

i hate it, ive prayed to God not to give me a Husband who likes this soup.

So so funny Gamine, I hated eba so much but didnt throw it like u did. Then that thing called Lafun. Then bread but I didnt like it cos we ate it often, it just had to be in the house like toothpaste!!!
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by idupaul: 9:41pm On Oct 30, 2008
i stl hate eba
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by HRhotness(f): 9:42pm On Oct 30, 2008
Beans - my mum made us eat beans at least 4 times a week

Quaker Oats - Looked too much like vomit for my peace of mind

Yam porridge - I didnt see why it all had to be mashed up together, i liked yam and stew just fine undecided

Ogbono soup - I still don't like it for some weird reason
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by MrCrackles(m): 9:47pm On Oct 30, 2008
Pap-(Sunday Mornings)

Eba-(Tuesday and Friday Nights)-I remember because we had a bloody food timetable!!
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by mohawkchic(f): 10:38pm On Oct 30, 2008
~Where do i start!!

~If there was ten different ways to make a food to be edible,my mum will do it just so i'll eat it!! I was the only child in my family who gave a heck of a lot of fuss about food!! Got my Ears pulled ~Shouted at ~Threatened! My Mam is head-strong & nothing fazes her. . . no faking "I'm going to be sick if you force me to eat" washes over her! It frustrated her i didnt even try most of these foods,yet i was determined to declare "I don't eat it"  she was like "You lie,you go eat am"

Sea Food:Shrimp:Fish:Oysters . . .Forget it,she gave up trying,i was adamant not to even try!! Of the three listed,Fish is the only one i eat as an adult,that is only fried,grilled even at that,don't eat dried fish at all!!

Luncheon Meat: Fried or not,i could only manage to muster the courage to eat it if i mash it up with mayo . . .thats still the only way i can eat it!!

Baked Beans:Sardines:Tomatoes: Once in a bluemoon i do induge in eating baked beans with an English brekkie,love tomatoes now tho!

Liver:[/b]I cudnt stand the sight let alone eat it . . still don't eat it,never have,never will!!my siblings attest my mama makes a mean Liver/Shrimp stew,too bad i can't comfirm

[b]Quaker Oats:[/b]God knows i did I try to eat oats,not even my mam's moaning,guilt trip helped as i still don't eat Oats!! I prefeered Custard!

[b]Eggs:
I don't care how she did it . . . .sunny side up,omlette,bioled,scrambled,i'd refuse to even touch it. . .much more eat it! A constant "Do you know how many kids out  there wished they're having this for brekkie" will always get me to nibble on the same piece of food till its time to leave for school!! The guilt trip i use to have. . if i was forced to eat certain Foods in my mam's  presence,i'll force myself to puke immediately after Argh!! 

Butter: I hated it,just b/c my mam will apply  it on my bread like its going out of stock,i had to dunk my bread in my tea to avoid eating the bread!! Argh!! I like Anchor butter,applied barely there on toast,where its always melts before i eat it!!

Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by Tatase(f): 9:03am On Oct 31, 2008
Eba and any garri variation which sucked because some variation of garri or eba was served everyday except Friday and Sunday. I still can't stand eba or garri.

Yam Pottage. Ugh. No no no. I never liked it.

Onions in food. I can't bear them. Even now. I still pick them out till today.

Dry fish. I wasn't allowed to leave the table till I had eaten my dry fish because it was "a privilege" to have it apparently because it came all the way from "home" (the village hometown) and it offended my mom that I didn't like/appreciate it. Nasty nasty business.

Spaghetti. I eat other forms of pasta but there's something about spaghettin I just don't like. I manage it sometimes these days sha.

Tomatoes in salad. Pawpaw or any melon, watermelon. I hate them all. But unfailingly most nights they appeared as dessert for my "enjoyment and good health."

Sweet potato. Plantain pottage (with ubiquitous dry fish bits in it <shudder> labelled "brain food" by my mother).
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by Gamine(f): 1:46pm On Oct 31, 2008
ROTFL grin grin

Cous Cous.

i almost died eating this thing

that my mum had to agree that i hated it

it wasnt funny embarassed embarassed
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by iice(f): 6:15pm On Oct 31, 2008
@Topic. Nothing. Was extremely picky. Still am. The best my parents could do was send me to boarding house to enjoy the cuisine there cheesy grin cheesy
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by Classigal(f): 7:59pm On Oct 31, 2008
everyone is just so funny on this topic, more please. ROTFLMAO.
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by JamaicanQT(f): 9:04pm On Oct 31, 2008
when i was a child i pretty much hated almost all kind of food rice, beans, peas, fish,veg yam, fried chicken an the list goes on and on, The good thing is i wasnt forced to eat anything that i didnt like, they simply provided me with other option of food that i would eat, I grew out of my very bad eating habbits when i was about 14, but i still dont eat alot of things
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by Cayon(f): 10:06pm On Nov 01, 2008
Food from any London Restaurants.  English folks can't cook.  the food is like blah  undecided
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by darkgoddes(f): 9:53am On Nov 02, 2008
BEANS. How i hated it back then. It also makes me feel sleepy. Mum doesnt force me to eat it. She would rather give me some money to buy whatever i like. She couldnt afford to allow me go hungry. I was lucky as i enjoyed lots of pampering from her as a child. Maybe because i was an only daughter.
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by beekie(f): 5:00pm On Nov 03, 2008
Amala and vegetable soup.And we were only allowed to go out and play if you finish it.It felt like a punishment.i was eating it just becos i needed to go out and play.
i do eat it now BUT definitely NOT with vegetable soup!
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by Shaz(f): 8:23pm On Nov 03, 2008
Beans
Beancake (akara)
Soy beans
Baked beans

In fact everything beans (apart from soy milk sha. . lol)
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by whiteroses(f): 11:24pm On Nov 03, 2008
damn mohawkchick, you pretty much hate everything, but you lucky because when I was a kid I wish my mum will give me some of those to eat, i mean who hates eggs, shrimps, butter, sardines, tomatoe, luncheon meat, well apart from liver maybe its because I was a boarder from primary six to s.s2 so if we could sneak those in the hostel we'd be celebrating, well apart from when the boys come and beg and steal some and thats another story lol
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by mohawkchic(f): 1:38pm On Nov 04, 2008
whiteroses:

damn mohawkchick, you pretty much hate everything, but you lucky because when I was a kid I wish my mum will give me some of those to eat, i mean who hates eggs, shrimps, butter, sardines, tomatoe, luncheon meat, well apart from liver maybe its because I was a boarder from primary six to s.s2 so if we could sneak those in the hostel we'd be celebrating, well apart from when the boys come and beg and steal some and thats another story lol

~Lol whiteroses . . Now thats the same guilt trip my mama use to give me . . out of my list i have tried really hard over the years to at least eat a couple of things !! tongue

~Sad thing tho is my son is the same as me now,worst even,that boy don't eat chicken,meat . . the list goes on!!
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by whiteroses(f): 5:46pm On Nov 04, 2008
@mohawkchick, seen
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by steaming(f): 4:53pm On Nov 10, 2008
Boiled egg, the smell was and is still terrible, the texture of the yolk, yuck, still don't eat it now unless it is hard boiled nut can never eat it alone.

Beans - hated that with all my heart, but my Granny's warning "you need protein eat it, u 'll have beri beri if u continue eating only rice" still tugs at my heart. so now i eat beans like 4 times in a year.

egusi soup, reminds me of childrens' shit. i just hope my husband is not a fan of egusi.

boiled irish potatoe - somehow it was just so so slimy then. tried it recently and tho i didnt like it that much,it didnt feel that slimy again

Na wa o young shall grow. Very soon it would be me forcing it on someone else. grin what goes around comes around
Re: What Foods Did You Hate As A Kid That Your Mum Forced You To Eat? by spikedcylinder: 7:03pm On Nov 10, 2008
Beans.
Hot beverages. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Minute Nigerian Recipes / This Romantic Food cost Me 5000 To Buy(pic Attach) / How To Use Pepper Fruits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.