Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic (50078 Views)

Ebola Is Not A Worm And Drinking Salt Cannot Stop Transmission / Ebola Is A Lab Engineered Disease / 7 Reasons Not To Wear A Thong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by achyc2002(m): 2:03pm On Aug 06, 2014
Saw this and just thought I should share

(CNN) - Donald Trump is tweeting that "We should not be importing (Ebola) to our homeland."

An Indiana congressman is worried that refugee children from Central America could pose a public health risk with "Ebola circulating."

And the Twitter-sphere is filled with people asking "how can we bring these patients to America," complaining that "We don't have enough problems in America! Let's import Ebola patients!" and speculating that treating them here is "highly irresponsible."
It's a terrifying disease for sure. It typically kills 90% of the people who get it, and this most recent outbreak is the largest in history. But you don't need to panic, experts say, and you definitely don't have to worry about the two American Ebola patients who are being treated in Atlanta.

Here are five reasons why:

1. It's fragile.

Ebola is an incredibly fragile virus. It does not fly through the air with the greatest of ease. It cannot be transmitted through a cough or sneeze. It doesn't move easily from human to human like the common cold.

Ebola is aggressively infectious, so people who are infected are highly likely to get sick. But it's not highly contagious.

"The Ebola virus spreads through direct contact with the blood, secretions or other body fluids of ill people and indirect contact -- for example, with needles and other things that may be contaminated with these fluids," said Stephan Monroe, deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control's National Center for Emerging Zoonotic and Infectious Diseases.

2. We know how it works.

Although there is no vaccine and no cure, the one real advantage we have with Ebola is that doctors know how to control it.

Ebola isn't "some mystical pathogen (with) some bizarre mode of transmission," said Bruce Ribner, who oversees the special isolation unit that is treating the patients at Emory University Hospital.

Common-sense hygiene can stop its spread.

"Ebola is a virus that can be stopped and not spread in hospitals. The stakes are higher, but it's easily inactivated with typical hospital disinfectants," said Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Tom Frieden.

3. We have the resources to contain it.

The two American patients with Ebola were flown to the United States in a plane outfitted with an isolation pod.

They are being kept in isolation at the Emory hospital with a specialized containment ward, one of four in the country.
In the containment ward, the vents are specialized. There's an intercom and plate glass that separates patients from visitors so they don't come into direct contact. There's a strict protocol on everyone and everything that goes into and out of the patient's room. Health care workers wear protective suits.

But any major medical center could really take care of an Ebola patient, said William Schaffner, an expert on infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University's School of Medicine.

Most ICUs have isolation rooms that are used for patients suspected to have tuberculosis, SARS, Middle East respiratory syndrome or another infectious disease. Schaffner said that not much would be different for an Ebola patient, though more stringent precautions might be taken to ensure that health care workers are following all protocols.

4. Our medical staff is ready.

"We have been training for this," Ribner said of preparations for the two American Ebola patients. These doctors know how to handle Ebola and will use an abundance of caution when working with an infected person.

Medical workers across the country have also been told to watch out for Ebola symptoms and question patients who have recently traveled to West Africa. They are trained to recognize Ebola cases and can quarantine them early, keeping others from coming into contact with an infected person's bodily fluids while the disease runs its course.

5. Airports are on alert.

At African airports in the Ebola-affected region, passengers are being closely screened. Health experts are watching for people with high fevers. Those who have a temperature are removed and monitored while doctors test their blood for Ebola.

When passengers arrive at the airport, they are required to wash their hands in a chlorinated solution. Customs agents and passport inspectors are also wearing surgical gloves when interacting with passengers.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/05/health/ebola-dont-panic/index.html?c=&page=4

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by 100ksalescom(m): 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2014
achyc2002:
4. Our medical staff is ready.
grin

I don pack my load ready to go village.

Y do i have the feeling Lagos State Govt is Hiding some Facts From Us.

Started From The Bottom Now We Here cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by mascot87(m): 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2014
Exactly,we don't have to worry. A simple addiction to use of soap & water will be ok

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Delible(m): 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2014
So many contradictory messages about this Ebola sef. Useless invention of the west. One day , your inventions will ruin your country.

6 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by kennyung: 2:21pm On Aug 06, 2014
Prayer is the Only Key

45 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 06, 2014
Awesome news!!! Proper Hygiene is the key to safety on this one. But chill, no hugging (sweat), No kisses (saliva), No handshakes (sweaty palms).....

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 06, 2014

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
oops
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by MillionDollars: 2:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
U givin us reasons y we should nt be scared?? Even on nairaland now, 7 out of 10 topics on frontpage is bout Ebola, and we should not be scared??

37 Likes

This article is geared towards Americans, where better protocols are in place to contain the disease.

As far Nigeria is concerned we have every reason to panic.

44 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by fittty(m): 2:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
Okay
Go to super markets and see queues, all for hand sanitizer.
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by 100ksalescom(m): 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
smiley
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
How does this stop it from spreading ? Panicking won't also help sha.
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
This info is strictly meant 4 the American citizen,were they have a perfect health care system 2 contain the 2 cases they have

Buh 4 my fellow brodas in naija,mst especially my medical colleagues in lagos,u ve every reason 2 panic nd enof reason 2 even run.

Well except u take jes history frm ya patients. NO EXAMINATION. And den dress like dis

19 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Alenkakent(m): 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
Say that again pls
Story for d gods
Even d doctor that treated d liberian guy don cross river

3 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by kendrick93(m): 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
why is ebola always on fp at every minute.. i tink our biggest problem is fear

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by gebest: 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
even this too, will pass over.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Gombs(m): 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
2 Chronicles 7 KJV

14  If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Well, the good book has said it.. but then again it said

Hosea 4 KJV
 6  [size=20pt]My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, [/size]that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

Yet again, folks would think I'm joking...

RIP to the dead doctor cry

13 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by ONWARDBABA: 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2014
kennyung: Prayer is the Only Key
He who has eyes let him here
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by publicenemy(m): 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
@ OP this article is not based on the preparedness of the Nigerian Government and our medical institution and society.so ebola is a cause for alarm and panic.you should be sensitizing people on being careful.

Our doctors that are making demands here and there...they should come out and prove their worth now.

Their counterparts in the U.S are working day and night to find cures to sophisticated health challenges like these,theirs here is to ask for special Number plates and higher salaries or go on strike.

After prescribing panadol and chloroquine to patients or type a sick patients symtoms on google to diagnose,they start comparing their pay to doctors abroad.

7 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by livingstoneony(m): 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
K
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by MizMyColi(f): 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
embarassed If I speak my mind on this Ebola issue, America will know.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by magnusalbertus(m): 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
this is for Americans, Nigerians pls panic o. . .
Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by ViewNigeria(m): 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
NIGERIA- Ebola bodies abandoned on streets SEE BODIES PHOTOS HERE>> http://www.view.com.ng/liberias-ebola-bodiesabandoned-on-streets/

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by shinechinedu(m): 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2014
This is talking about the US and not Africa!

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by pendusky(m): 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2014
there is a reason why we should panic. because it's here in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by ayusco85(m): 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2014
Am tired of seeing Ebola threads making front page. OP, thr is everything to fear about this deadly disease o.

Meanwhile, in other news, When ur main chick and side chick say they are pregnant, u ve no option than to ........................... Well ask dis guy

5 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by kennyung: 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2014
ONWARDBABA:
He who has eyes let him here

he who has eyes let him here

He who has ears let him hear smiley

4 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by gebest: 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
father let this cup pass us over. IJN-Amen

9 Likes

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
Ofcos they are ready and that why they are ready to take their citizens that are infected.
They have 4 containment Ward, how many can my country boast of?
All we know how to do is to shout quarantine!
like say na today Ebola start.

1 Like

Re: Ebola Is Here: 5 Reasons Not To Panic by ezanafe(m): 2:27pm On Aug 06, 2014
OK. noted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can One Treat A Smelling 'Private' Please? / Mad Woman Gives Birth In Ghana Again. Photos / Nigeria Confirms Two New Cases Of Coronavirus, Toll Now 46

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.