Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,795 members, 7,806,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

"What Was Early Christianity Like?" - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Was Early Christianity Like?" (5557 Views)

What If The Early Church Had Prayed That Saul Should Die? / The Early Church Vs The Modern Church / On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by Ubenedictus(m): 1:06pm On Aug 27, 2014
JesusisLord85: All these 'ages' you speak of are of the disgusting gentiles, who dumped their perversion in Africa.
It would have been better if they had left out fathers to worship wood and stone.

The early 'christians' were Jews, so sharp there. They simply believed that the four thousand year prophecy was being fulfilled. No mention in the prophets of a new religion. If anything, formation of a new religion would disqualify Yahshua as the prophesied Messiah.

So lets see what these first 'christians' got up to:

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place
verse 5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Acts 10:15 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean
[some of you incorrectly think you can eat swine. If Yahshua said it is fine, how come Peter did not get the memo]

Acts 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
[oh look, they read the law and prophets on the sabbath, as usual. What are you doing observing Sunday]?

Acts 13:44 "44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God."
[Again? Nawa o, I thought observing sabbath is wicked according to some of you]

Acts 18:18 "And Paul after this tarried there yet a good while, and then took his leave of the brethren, and sailed thence into Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila; having shorn his head in Cenchrea: for he had a vow."
[what this 'christian' doing making nazarite vow, lol]

Acts 21:
23 Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them;
24 Them take, and purify thyself with them
, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.
[what this 'christian' doing keeping the law. the law is "bondage" to today's christians]

How anyone can think any truth came via Rome is beyond my comprehension.
Let me show you, the culture of those devils is at odds with everything the Most High calls holy:

Acts 16:20
20 And brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city,
21 And teach customs, which are not lawful for us to receive, neither to observe, being Romans.

Go away and have a think. Let that marinade. I know all the usual 'christian' arguments for "we can eat anything, God called it holy", or "we are gentiles, we don't need to keep laws, that is for the Jews"...So save it.

Shalom

people are talking about christainity and you are teaching judaism....

Go and read gal 3
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by Ubenedictus(m): 1:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The topic reads "early Christianity." What did the Christian "religion" look like or function when the followers of our Lord Jesus first got organised.
that is exactly what chukwudi just explained to you but you refused to listen.
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ubenedictus:

that is exactly what chukwudi just explained to you but you refused to listen.

The answer to the question was given in the OP if you really want to know.
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by Elijah78: 3:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by Ubenedictus(m): 4:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The answer to the question was given in the OP if you really want to know.
and somehow you op is omniscient? Was your op in the early church?

Chukwudi gave you a hand written account from people who were there and you dismissed it without a second thought.
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:25pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ubenedictus:

and somehow you op is omniscient? Was your op in the early church?

Chukwudi gave you a hand written account from people who were there and you dismissed it without a second thought.

Why didn't he start from the life of the disciples of Jesus Christ? The RCC that only started in 300 AD which does not fit in with the early Christian life.

1 Like

Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Why didn't he start from the life of the disciples of Jesus Christ? The RCC that only started in 300 AD which does not fit in with the early Christian life.

The catholic church has exixted since 33CE, in fact the catholic church father I quoted st Justin Matyr died around 165CE.More than 100 years before the date you mentioned.If you need. More quotes from catholics who lived earlier than Justin,I will be glad to oblige you.Even the first person to refer to the mother church as the catholic church st ignatius of antioch died in 107CE
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by JesusisLord85: 7:58pm On Aug 27, 2014
They were Jews who believed that their promised Messiah had come.

That is all.

Don't know where you roman christians came from. Edom
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by honeric01(m): 7:58pm On Aug 27, 2014
Who were the people that killed and persecuted the early Christians?

Starting from the time of the apostles/disciples?
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by JesusisLord85: 10:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
honeric01: Who were the people that killed and persecuted the early Christians?

What were the apostles? Or those whom received the spirit in Acts 2?
Jews.

Jew on Jew crime. Those who believed the prophecy being persecuted by those who did not.
Nothing to see here
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by PastorKun(m): 6:33am On Aug 28, 2014
honeric01: Who were the people that killed and persecuted the early Christians?

Answer is simple, it was the Romans. The fore fathers of the Roman catholic church persecuted the early Christians before they repented accepted Christ whilst mixing it up with some of their pagan beliefs.
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by honeric01(m): 8:00am On Aug 28, 2014
PastorKun:

Answer is simple, it was the Romans. The fore fathers of the Roman catholic church persecuted the early Christians before they repented accepted Christ whilst mixing it up with some of their pagan beliefs.

How come they now claim to be the "early Christians"?
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by honeric01(m): 8:01am On Aug 28, 2014
JesusisLord85:

What were the apostles? Or those whom received the spirit in Acts 2?
Jews.

Jew on Jew crime. Those who believed the prophecy being persecuted by those who did not.
Nothing to see here

Pardon me but what are you saying? undecided
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by btoks: 1:48pm On Aug 28, 2014
OLAADEGBU: Question: "What was early Christianity like?"

Answer: Early Christianity began roughly 2,000 years ago, shortly after the death, resurrection, and ascension of Christ. Acts 11:26b says, “It was at Antioch that the believers were first called Christians.” “Christians” means “Christ’s people.” Early Christianity consisted of a group of loosely connected local bodies of believers who gathered together on a regular basis, usually in each other’s homes to fellowship and worship together (Acts 16:15; 18:7; 21:8; Romans 16:5; Colossians 4:15). These churches generally had the organization of pastors, elders, and deacons within each individual congregation.

This early New Testament church lived communally and often shared resources such as food and money (Acts 2:44-45 and Acts 4:32-36). Their services consisted mainly of preaching (during which time they might also read letters from missionaries such as Paul) and the singing of songs. They took offerings to support the journeys of their missionaries, and they performed baptisms. Also, they celebrated the Lord’s Supper each time they gathered together.

But, soon, early Christianity was challenged by Roman persecution. The majority of the persecution began with the great fire in Rome that destroyed much of the city and devastated the economy. In an attempt to absolve himself, the Roman Emperor Nero claimed it was the Christians who tried to destroy Rome and its pagan gods. From that point on, the Christians were blamed for many of the misfortunes befalling the Empire. Persecution and martyrdom was quick to follow. Because of this persecution, the Christians were forced to meet in the catacombs, which were long, dark galleries under the city of Rome. There they continued their meetings, baptisms, and even burials for their dead. As a result of the persecution, many of the early Christians were scattered throughout the Roman Empire, expediting the cause of evangelism and fulfilling the Lord’s commands to make disciples of all nations (Acts 8:1, 4-40; 11:19-26; Matthew 28:18-20).

Because the early church was not focused on the maintenance of a church building, endless programs, and technology, they were able to concentrate on the study of God’s Word, service and dedication to one another, hospitality, benevolence, and missions (Romans 1:8; 15:19; 1 Thessalonians 1:7-8; Acts 13:1-26:32). While programs and technology can make some of these things easier, the early church had a pure, simplistic approach. Compared to the structured organization of the church today, the early church looked more like the informal settings of one of our Bible studies or small groups.

Both early and modern Christianity have good and bad characteristics, and neither can be idealized. The positives which characterized the early church—a passion for Christ and His Word and a strong love for one another—are what we should strive to emulate in the modern church.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/early-Christianity.html#ixzz39cvK417G

In addition to the responses from others, Please take a look at the following link for the DIDACHE (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/didache-roberts.html) – a document accepted as being from the first century and contains the rudiments of the apostles teaching in practice. You’ll see notes about baptism, confession, Eucharist, bishops etc. I note that some of your assertions are certainly from extra biblical source, thus kills the whole concept of Sola Scriptura. I don’t think the maintenance of buildings, technology etc and sharing God's Word are not mutually exclusive events and the only way Christianity has survived is because of structure as Jesus established. Structured organisation is required for guidance - ensuring the right things are done and also required for influence & power; the only way Christianity has survived. Also, I’m sure you know that the New Testament potion of the bible was still being written and there were disputes as to which ones to read. Thus they needed the Guidance of the Church (Bishops etc).
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by btoks: 2:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
PastorKun:

The term "early church" refers to the first century church and not the rcc that was instituted in the fourth century.
St Ireanaeus writing in the 2nd century ( Against Heresis III), what church was he talking about here, because this succession must still continue today?
“The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate. Of this Linus, Paul makes mention in the Epistles to Timothy. To him succeeded Anacletus; and after him, in the third place from the apostles, Clement was allotted the bishopric. This man, as he had seen the blessed apostles, and had been conversant with them, might be said to have the preaching of the apostles still echoing [in his ears], and their traditions before his eyes. Nor was he alone [in this], for there were many still remaining who had received instructions from the apostles. In the time of this Clement, no small dissension having occurred among the brethren at Corinth, the Church in Rome dispatched a most powerful letter to the Corinthians, exhorting them to peace, renewing their faith, and declaring the tradition which it had lately received from the apostles>>>>>>>>>”
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by PastorKun(m): 2:57pm On Aug 28, 2014
btoks:
St Ireanaeus writing in the 2nd century ( Against Heresis III), what church was he talking about here, because this succession must still continue today?
“The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate. Of this Linus, Paul makes mention in the Epistles to Timothy. To him succeeded Anacletus; and after him, in the third place from the apostles, Clement was allotted the bishopric. This man, as he had seen the blessed apostles, and had been conversant with them, might be said to have the preaching of the apostles still echoing [in his ears], and their traditions before his eyes. Nor was he alone [in this], for there were many still remaining who had received instructions from the apostles. In the time of this Clement, no small dissension having occurred among the brethren at Corinth, the Church in Rome dispatched a most powerful letter to the Corinthians, exhorting them to peace, renewing their faith, and declaring the tradition which it had lately received from the apostles>>>>>>>>>”

The fact the a lot of RCC doctrines differ so much from the teachings handed down to us by Jesus and the Apostles is another evidence that the RCC cannot be the same as the early church established on sound apostolic doctrines.

2 Likes

Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by btoks: 7:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
PastorKun:

The fact the a lot of RCC doctrines differ so much from the teachings handed down to us by Jesus and the Apostles is another evidence that the RCC cannot be the same as the early church established on sound apostolic doctrines.
I don't think this answers the question. It's like saying an adult is not the same person as their infant self because of differences! What CHURCH was St Ireanaeus referring to and where is that Church today?I'll disagree on the church's teaching differing from apostolic teaching but that's for another day.
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by Ubenedictus(m): 1:24am On Aug 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

he gave you a quote form around the time of the apostles and immediately after their death, the quote wasn't from 300AD but you still dismissed it.

And a little correction the catholic church didn't begin in 300AD byt in 33AD.

Thanks
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by PastorKun(m): 7:12am On Aug 29, 2014
Ubenedictus: he gave you a quote form around the time of the apostles and immediately after their death, the quote wasn't from 300AD but you still dismissed it.

And a little correction the catholic church didn't begin in 300AD byt in 33AD.

Thanks

Was it also in 33AD that Mary worship began? tongue
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by Ubenedictus(m): 12:22pm On Aug 29, 2014
PastorKun:

oh dear!

The honor of mary ofcourse started in 33AD, did you think that the apostles disrepected the mother of Christ?
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by honeric01(m): 12:39pm On Aug 29, 2014
Ubenedictus:

oh dear!

The honor of mary ofcourse started in 33AD, did you think that the apostles disrepected the mother of Christ?

Yes they did, by telling her to wait outside while Jesus was preaching to the multitude.

Remember the phrase "Who' s my mother, brethren "?

Remember what brought about that phrase?

Matthew 12:46 While He was still speaking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to
Him.
47 And someone said to Him, "Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You."
48 But He answered the one who was telling Him and said, "Who is My mother and who are My brothers?"
49 And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, "Behold, My mother and My brothers!
50 "For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother."..

2 Likes

Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:40pm On Aug 29, 2014
chukwudi44:

The catholic church has exixted since 33CE, in fact the catholic church father I quoted st Justin Matyr died around 165CE.More than 100 years before the date you mentioned.If you need. More quotes from catholics who lived earlier than Justin,I will be glad to oblige you.Even the first person to refer to the mother church as the catholic church st ignatius of antioch died in 107CE

The catholic church you are confusing yourself with was used to mean the universal Church and not the Roman Catholic church. Don't get your facts mixed up. cool
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by btoks: 12:56pm On Aug 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The catholic church you are confusing yourself with was used to mean the universal Church and not the Roman Catholic church. Don't get your facts mixed up. cool
You've come up with the claim and you'll have to substantiate it. The Catholic Church mentioned had an apostolic succession and surely must continue today?? So the question is where is that Church today? I’ll give you a little clue – Ignatius and Ireanaeus wrote letters in order to distinguish the heretics of the day from the true church. How will you know that church today?
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by btoks: 1:01pm On Aug 29, 2014
PastorKun:

The Catholic Church does not worship Mary, this matter has been flogged a million times on this site. Please try to study the reverence given to the Blessed Virgin Mary and other saints by the Eastern Orthodox and Coptics once part of the Catholic Church. You might also learn that Martin Luther (Father of reformation) also had great reverence for our blessed mother. Also, if you could search for Sub Tuum Praesidium (oldest preserved hymn to Mary ca. 3rd Century) to understand why people have always given honour to Mary. I’m still awaiting a response to the question posed about the church St Ireanaeus was referring to and where that church is today.
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by Ubenedictus(m): 1:07pm On Aug 29, 2014
honeric01:

Yes they did, by telling her to wait outside while Jesus was preaching to the multitude.
actually scriptures do not record him telling his mother to wait outside, unless you are projecting your own prejudice on scripture.

Remember the phrase "Who' s my mother, brethren "?

Remember what brought about that phrase?

Matthew 12:46 While He was still speaking to the multitudes, behold,
His mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to
Him. 47 And someone said to Him, "Behold, Your mother and Your
brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You." 48 But He
answered the one who was telling Him and said, "Who is My mother
and who are My brothers?" 49 And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, "Behold, My mother and My brothers! 50 "For
whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother."..

so what is your point? That Jesus disrespected his mother and committed sin? Or that he used this situation to explain the new covenantal family?

I say it the later, what do you say?

1 Like

Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by honeric01(m): 1:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
Ubenedictus: actually scriptures do not record him telling his mother to wait outside, unless you are projecting your own prejudice on scripture.

Neither did i say scriptures said he told her mother to wait outside, what any sensible person can deduct from this passage should be that His earthly mother was not even one of his followers.

Ubenedictus: so what is your point? That Jesus disrespected his mother and committed sin? Or that he used this situation to explain the new covenantal family? I say it the later, what do you say?

My point is that Mary was not given any "post" by Jesus, given any preferential treatment, nor was she even acknowledged as her mother because a God can't have a mother. he didn't disrespect her but openly and in many cases rebuked her when she wanted to play the "mother" card on him.

Lastly, pointing to his disciples as his mother and brothers with his earthly mom and brothers excluded shows that they were mostly not connected to him spiritually nor even connected to his vision.

He was preaching inside with his disciples and his half-brothers and mother were outside? the message is very clear.

Infact, they even wanted him to stop preaching and come see them outside, another message, can you see these messages? undecided

Lastly, Jesus never called Mary his mother, incase i am wrong, kindly show me in the scriptures where he did.

1 Like

Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:10pm On Aug 29, 2014
btoks:

You've come up with the claim and you'll have to substantiate it. The Catholic Church mentioned had an apostolic succession and surely must continue today?? So the question is where is that Church today? I’ll give you a little clue – Ignatius and Ireanaeus wrote letters in order to distinguish the heretics of the day from the true church. How will you know that church today?

Roman catholism is a product of the roman empire, when the empire falled the Roman Catholic took over. Constantine could be said to be the first pope that gave the early Christians some reprieve after they've been persecuted by the Roman emperors. The RCC soon reverted to type, persecuting true Christians who would not be subject to their traditions and dogmas.

Check out the history of the RCC on this thread: ==> https://www.nairaland.com/1878872/what-origin-catholic-church
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by btoks: 4:00pm On Aug 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Roman catholism is a product of the roman empire, when the empire falled the Roman Catholic took over. Constantine could be said to be the first pope that gave the early Christians some reprieve after they've been persecuted by the Roman emperors. The RCC soon reverted to type, persecuting true Christians who would not be subject to their traditions and dogmas.

Check out the history of the RCC on this thread: ==> https://www.nairaland.com/1878872/what-origin-catholic-church
I’m sure you’re better than this! This is anti- catholic rhetoric with absolutely no proof. Where is it recorded that Emperor Constantine was the 1st pope?!! Please don’t let the name ‘roman’ confuse you. The official name of the church is Catholic church also known as roman CC(long story). Have you read the Church Fathers’ letters from the 1st and 2nd centuries? Please let us know what happened to the church St Ireanaeus was referring to in Against Heresis III. Where is that church today? The early church had apostolic succession, so that church must exist. Please, also enlighten us on who the true Christians were that got persecuted.

I’ll throw in another Church Father – Bishop Cyprian of Carthage. What church was he referring to here in AD 253: "The Church is one, and as she is one, cannot be both within and without. For if she is with [the heretic] Novatian, she was not with [Pope] Cornelius. But if she was with Cornelius, who succeeded the bishop [of Rome], Fabian, by lawful ordination, and whom, beside the honor of the priesthood the Lord glorified also with martyrdom, Novatian is not in the Church; nor can he be reckoned as a bishop, who, succeeding to no one, and despising the evangelical and apostolic tradition, sprang from himself. For he who has not been ordained in the Church can neither have nor hold to the Church in any way" (Letters 69[75]:3).
So you will give me a link to an anti-catholic site for the origin of the Catholic Church??!! You can do better reseach than that
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by nora544: 4:05pm On Aug 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

stop this that is not tru

there is the list of all popes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes

and constantine was never a pope

I know nigerians and history they have there own history
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:25pm On Aug 29, 2014
btoks:

I’m sure you’re better than this! This is anti- catholic rhetoric with absolutely no proof. Where is it recorded that Emperor Constantine was the 1st pope?!! Please don’t let the name ‘roman’ confuse you. The official name of the church is Catholic church also known as roman CC(long story). Have you read the Church Fathers’ letters from the 1st and 2nd centuries? Please let us know what happened to the church St Ireanaeus was referring to in Against Heresis III. Where is that church today? The early church had apostolic succession, so that church must exist. Please, also enlighten us on who the true Christians were that got persecuted.

I’ll throw in another Church Father – Bishop Cyprian of Carthage. What church was he referring to here in AD 253: "The Church is one, and as she is one, cannot be both within and without. For if she is with [the heretic] Novatian, she was not with [Pope] Cornelius. But if she was with Cornelius, who succeeded the bishop [of Rome], Fabian, by lawful ordination, and whom, beside the honor of the priesthood the Lord glorified also with martyrdom, Novatian is not in the Church; nor can he be reckoned as a bishop, who, succeeding to no one, and despising the evangelical and apostolic tradition, sprang from himself. For he who has not been ordained in the Church can neither have nor hold to the Church in any way" (Letters 69[75]:3).
So you will give me a link to an anti-catholic site for the origin of the Catholic Church??!! You can do better reseach than that

nora544:

stop this that is not tru

there is the list of all popes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes

and constantine was never a pope

I know nigerians and history they have there own history

Let's not derail this thread. Go to the suggested thread below for answers to your objections.

https://www.nairaland.com/1878872/what-origin-catholic-church
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by nora544: 7:32pm On Aug 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Let's not derail this thread. Go to the suggested thread below for answers to your objections.

who make the fake information, I only write what is tru.
Re: "What Was Early Christianity Like?" by btoks: 7:45pm On Aug 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Definately not derailing.This is a cop-out from you, very weak . I've been to that link and no answers just further untruths. Please answer the question I posed, where is the church that Ireanaeus and Cyprian of Carthage were referring to?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How I Learned How To Tackle Demons In Secondary School / Can A Christian Do Plastic Surgery For Beauty Enhancement? / Have You Blasphemed YET Today? God Committed Adultery And Other Matters Arising.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.