Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters (1200 Views)

Thumb Printed Ballot Papers Allegedly Intercepted In Niger State (PHOTOS) / Thugs Thumb-Printing Ballot Papers For Aregbesola (Video) / Don't Publish Election Results Before Official Release, Jega Warns 'nairalanders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by gratieao: 7:33am On Aug 07, 2014
The Independent National Electoral Commission has described as illegal the directive of the All Progressives Congress to its supporters to copy the numbers of the ballot papers and take photographs after thumb printing in Saturday’s governorship election.

At an interactive section of political stakeholders ahead of the governorship election in Osogbo on Wednesday, Chairman of INEC, Prof. Attahiru Jega, said any attempt to snap ballot papers would be in violation of the Electoral Act.

During the final rally of the APC on Tuesday, its leadership encourage voters to ensure that they recorded the serial number of the ballot paper and use their phones to take a shot of the paper before living the poling unit.

The party believes that the action would be a proactive measure to checking any attempt to rig the election.

But Jega said , “To photograph the ballot paper will be a violation of the secrecy of the ballot. It is illegal and I will urge voters to disregard that directive.”

The Director General of the Aregbesola Campaign Organisation, Senator Sola Adeyeye, in his intervention at the meeting, rejected Jega’s explanations, saying a photograph of one’s ballot paper would not violate the secrecy of the ballot.

“For me, I will take a photograph of the ballot paper while casting my vote. It does not violate the secrecy of the ballot. I will like to show it to my grandchildren to see how I voted on the candidate. Voted for,” he said.

Responding to this, Jega cited Section 25(1,2,3,4) of the Electoral Act, noting that the sections forbid the act and violators risk a six month jail term if caught or N100,000 or both.
http://www.punchng.com/news/dont-snap-ballot-papers-jega-warns-voters/
Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by ddddon(m): 7:44am On Aug 07, 2014
na who we go listen to , jega or apc
Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by bashydemy(m): 8:03am On Aug 07, 2014
God punish you Jega, This is the real proof of rigging

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by earthgreeners(m): 8:05am On Aug 07, 2014
PDP rigging elections since 1999...

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by smallJagaban: 8:13am On Aug 07, 2014
JEGA THINKS HE CAN TRY WHAT HE DID IN EKITI

#OSUN IS APC, APC IS OSUN

4 Likes

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 07, 2014
Only Aregbe and his wife will vote, Kabiru is in Cuba, others are in other places, yet he is asking people to snap ballot paper and copy there serial number. I can bet with anybody that Aregbe won't do any of the two. Please be careful, security operatives generally are allergic to camera, be warned.
Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by koboko69: 8:34am On Aug 07, 2014
Please what is wrong in snapping ballot papers undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by Tolexander: 8:51am On Aug 07, 2014
When i was watching the mega rally, i told the people with me immediately what Aregbesola said is criminal!

1 Like

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:52am On Aug 07, 2014
Is our vote not our personal property?

We have right to snap and copy down serial number of our ballot paper. This is equivalent to the right we have to monitoring of election material.

JEGA should not make this election JAGAJAGA. This is not Anambra or Ekiti where they played dirty.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:54am On Aug 07, 2014
Tolexander: When i was watching the mega rally, i told the people with me immediately what Aregbesola said is criminal!

Can you tell me how this is crime pls?

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 07, 2014
FOLYKAZE: Is our vote not our personal property?
Carry it go home then. I can bet you won't attempt to do any of the two, all you do is make e-noise.
FOLYKAZE:
Read the section Jega cited.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by Tolexander: 9:13am On Aug 07, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

cos it violates the electoral act in one of the manuals for INEC officials that i read.

Anything that violates any act is a crime!

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by saintgwizard(m): 9:13am On Aug 07, 2014
It is criminal because it contravens the electoral act. It is also a way of inciting the people to become violent. Imagine a situation security operatives tries to stop people from doing so and some hoodlums decide to do the unthinkable.

My concern is that the families of those candidate may not even appear at the polling units not to talk of snapping ballot paper. Nigerians be wise, these men don't care if we all perish for them to actualize their personal ambitions.

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by Nobody: 9:34am On Aug 07, 2014
saintgwizard: It is criminal because it contravens the electoral act. It is also a way of inciting the people to become violent. Imagine a situation security operatives tries to stop people from doing so and some hoodlums decide to do the unthinkable.

My concern is that the families of those candidate may not even appear at the polling units not to talk of snapping ballot paper. Nigerians be wise, these men don't care if we all perish for them to actualize their personal ambitions.
salaksmana: Only Aregbe and his wife will vote, Kabiru is in Cuba, others are in other places, yet he is asking people to snap ballot paper and copy there serial number. I can bet with anybody that Aregbe won't do any of the two. Please be careful, security operatives generally are allergic to camera, be warned.
Only a fool will follow politicians' advise. You remember that Segun Oni was the only person that voted for APC at his polling unit, that means his wife & children were not around.

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by Descartes: 9:42am On Aug 07, 2014
All these warnings will fall on deaf ear cheesy
Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by 9jahubcom(m): 10:02am On Aug 07, 2014
Descartes: All these warnings will fall on deaf ear cheesy
dats d problem my guy
Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by 9jahubcom(m): 10:03am On Aug 07, 2014
koboko69: Please what is wrong in snapping ballot papers undecided undecided undecided
ask who said it my guy
Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by Omexonomy: 10:08am On Aug 07, 2014
O'Arebge is smelling defeat hence inciting the people agains the authorities. Typical Yoruba style.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:49am On Aug 07, 2014
Tolexander: cos it violates the electoral act in one of the manuals for INEC officials that i read.

Anything that violates any act is a crime!

You read where?
Re: Don’t Snap Ballot Papers, Jega Warns Voters by jieta: 11:32am On Aug 07, 2014
when will nigeria ever conduct a free and fair election always looking for excuse to sheat. if a citizen decide to snap the ballot paper then what is wrong with it, as far you are not tempering with the material.

(1) (Reply)

Ghanian Terrorist Invades Nairaland / Fayemi Releases Press Statements On The Recent Happenings In Ekiti State / "Suntai Is Missing": Taraba Acting Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.