Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:32 PM

FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi (1403 Views)

Stephen Keshi Return Again To Lead Nigeria In Remaining Afcon Qualifiers. / An Open Letter To Stephen Keshi / Stephen Keshi Resigns As Eagles Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by MAYOWAAK: 10:39am On Aug 07, 2014
In a time when coaches and managers come and go with reckless abandon, Nigeria is trying to lead the way forward on the African continent. Although coach Stephen Keshi resigned after the Super Eagles bowed out of the 2014 FIFA World Cup™ in the Round of 16, the former international captain is still in negotiations to keep his job. Supporters in the football-mad west African nation are hopeful that a positive announcement from the two parties will come soon.

Since 1960, the only coach who has spent a longer time in charge of the Super Eagles was Dutchman Clemens Westerhof, who guided the fortunes of the team from late 1989 till after the 1994 World Cup. Keshi's longevity is all the more remarkable given that he is still in the mix after three international events, but that's a mark of his success. Most significantly, in 2013, he brought Nigeria their first African title since 1994, when the former defender captained the side under Westerhof.

But it is not only in terms of titles that Nigeria has benefited from Keshi's expertise as the team is ranked higher now in the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking than it was when 'Big Boss' took over. At the time, the Super Eagles were ranked 44 in the world. Now they are currently ranked ten places better. After being handed the job in 2011, Keshi said that he was determined to take the side to success. "I will try to do to my utmost best to bring back joy to Nigerian people. There are challenges all over the place but I just have to keep my focus and see what happens."

World Cup jump
In February this year Nigeria were ranked 47 after finishing third at the African Nations Championship, which is a tournament in which only players from the local leagues are eligible to play. They then embarked on a series of friendlies against higher-ranked teams. Draws against Greece, Mexico and Scotland, as well as a 2-1 defeat against the 13th-ranked team in the world (in June), USA, saw the Super Eagles continuously climb in the rankings.

The west Africans were drawn into a difficult group at the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil, facing Argentina, Iran and Bosnia and Herzegovina in Group F. A draw against Iran, a victory against Bosnia and a 3-2 defeat against Argentina saw the Super Eagles advance to the second round, where they faced France. And although a 2-0 defeat sent them packing, they secured enough points to further climb on the FIFA ladder.

Before the start of the tournament, Keshi received some support from Westerhof, who told journalists: “Stephen Keshi is the boss; he decides which team he picks. Let Keshi do the job... He has already achieved results so far by winning the African Cup of Nations Cup, and qualifying for the World Cup.”

At the start of the World Cup, Nigeria were ranked 44 in the world and sixth in Africa. At the end of the tournament, they had moved up ten more places on the global scene, and only Algeria and Côte d'Ivoire were ranked higher in Africa.

Keshi shies away from saying that the upsurge in Nigerian football fortunes is based on his coaching, but he told FIFA.com that he was confident that consistency made a difference. “When I was employed, I chose a path I would follow and I have followed that path. I have not strayed from that path, and I think that the results show that we are on the right path with the national team.”

It could well be that should Keshi stay in charge of the team, a successful campaign in the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers – where the Super Eagles are facing South Africa, Sudan and Rwanda – could see the Nigerians climb even higher in the FIFA rankings. Although their current ranking of 34 is still some distance from their highest placing – fifth in the world in April 1994 – Keshi could well be the man to take them closer to that position.

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/news/newsid=2417265/index.html

3 Likes

Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by bigtt76(f): 12:06pm On Aug 07, 2014
Na so undecided ....same people go end up bashing him after 2015
Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by ROCKJ1(m): 12:18pm On Aug 07, 2014
If he mistakenly fails now... Nigerian's will crucify him.

1 Like

Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by easyelliot(m): 2:18pm On Aug 07, 2014
I am resigned to the fact that Keshi is our coach and happy that fifa thinks he did such a great job, but is this the best we have to offer?

Would German coach Low have left a mediocre bench warmer like mikel in despite him constantly losing the ball in his own half?

Do we want a coach that won't listen, its his way or no way at all? Won't select players for flimsy reasons, but selects certain players for curious reasons.

I'll take a starter playing in MLS over an epl bench warmer.

Its time for me to get my coaching licence
I think I got a shot.

1 Like

Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by Goke7: 3:17pm On Aug 07, 2014
easyelliot: I am resigned to the fact that Keshi is our coach and happy that fifa thinks he did such a great job, but is this the best we have to offer?

Would German coach Low have left a mediocre bench warmer like mikel in despite him constantly losing the ball in his own half?

Do we want a coach that won't listen, its his way or no way at all? Won't select players for flimsy reasons, but selects certain players for curious reasons.

I think I got a shot.

Nigerians are too difficult to please, all we do is to run down people's successes even when there are enough evidences! Thank God that FIFA is not headed by a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by Kog45(m): 11:17pm On Aug 07, 2014
easyelliot: I am resigned to the fact that Keshi is our coach and happy that fifa thinks he did such a great job, but is this the best we have to offer?

I think I got a shot.

Pls how old are you bcs your post look childish.
Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by easyelliot(m): 7:13am On Aug 08, 2014
Kog45: Pls how old are you bcs your post look childish.

Lol.....that's funny.....

I stand by every statement, which part was childish pray tell
Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by easyelliot(m): 7:18am On Aug 08, 2014
Goke7:

Nigerians are too difficult to please, all we do is to run down people's successes even when there are enough evidences! Thank God that FIFA is not headed by a Nigerian

Well I guess its too much to ask for accountability in Nigeria.
Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by dabossman(m): 11:48am On Aug 08, 2014

I think I got a shot.

Can you explain why Paul Bento left a half-fit Cristiano Ronaldo on the field? Why did Sabella remove an effective Lavezzi for a Sergio Aguero that was just returning from injury and ended up being largely disappointing? Why did Del Bosque continue to start a half-fit Diego Costa ahead of Fernando Torres and David Villa? (The one game those two started they both scored.)

If you can answer these questions, I will answer yours.

1 Like

Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by Goke7: 12:04pm On Aug 08, 2014
easyelliot:

Well I guess its too much to ask for accountability in Nigeria.

accountability is different from Phd [pull him down syndrome] which is what you are doing

Grow up please!
Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by easyelliot(m): 3:36pm On Aug 08, 2014
Goke7:

accountability is different from Phd [pull him down syndrome] which is what you are doing

Grow up please!

U obviously can't debate without stooping to insults and yapping

Pull him down syndrome is funny though

You have a good day bra!
Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by easyelliot(m): 4:06pm On Aug 08, 2014
dabossman:

Can you explain why Paul Bento left a half-fit Cristiano Ronaldo on the field? Why did Sabella remove an effective Lavezzi for a Sergio Aguero that was just returning from injury and ended up being largely disappointing? Why did Del Bosque continue to start a half-fit Diego Costa ahead of Fernando Torres and David Villa? (The one game those two started they both scored.)

If you can answer these questions, I will answer yours.

Germany won the world cup so they would be the current standard not countries that didn't win.

I think we all know Keshi could have done better, just concerning mikel alone, he should have pulled him off but didn't.

That's either ineptitude or something else, Keshi can do better.
Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by drsteroid(m): 4:27pm On Aug 08, 2014
Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by dabossman(m): 5:54pm On Aug 08, 2014
easyelliot:

Germany won the world cup so they would be the current standard not countries that didn't win.

I think we all know Keshi could have done better, just concerning mikel alone, he should have pulled him off but didn't.

Every coach can do better, so what's your point. Joachim Loew went to two World Cups and two Euros with Germany before they became the "current standard". Keshi went to three AFCON's with three different teams before he got it right. Who says he can't do better globally with more time? Did you not see a glimmer of something positive in the games we lost to Argentina and France?
Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by dabossman(m): 6:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
easyelliot:

Every coach can do better, so what's your point. Joachim Loew went to two World Cups and two Euros with Germany before they became the "current standard". Keshi went to three AFCON's with three different teams before he got it right. Who says he can't do better globally with more time? Did you not see a glimmer of something positive in the games we lost to Argentina and France?

He could have pulled Mikel off, yes, but how are you sure that would eventually be a positive move. He pulled him off in the friendly against USA and the midfield collapsed. I would suggest you visit FIFA 2014 World Cup site and compare Mikel's stats with other players in his position, especially players who played similar number of games (i.e. 3-5 games) and you will realize it wasn't all gloomy. He could have done better for his standard but sh*t happens. Let it go.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/players/player-comparison.html#h234463a367388
Re: FIFA Salutes Stephen Keshi by easyelliot(m): 10:07pm On Aug 08, 2014
OK o , I bow to the greater wisdom of my fellow Nigerians.

Keshi, I salute you, keep up the good work.

(1) (Reply)

Samuel Eto'o And Kids Dance To Yemi Alade's Johnny / Win With My Tips... / Bills Vs Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.