Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:47 PM

The Origin Of The Word Oyibo - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Origin Of The Word Oyibo (36400 Views)

What's The Origin Of Rag Day In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions? / Picture Of Oyibo Cheating In Exam / Prof. Gabriel Oyibo (GAGUT Theorem): Mad man or Genius (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 09, 2014
eighTHREAD: he's WRONG! Okada is an edo word formed by igbinedion snr and used for his airlines called okada airlines. When motorcyclists started operations, they adopted the name cos the bikes made passengers think they were flying like airplanes.

Cool story!

I have heard of this, but it makes no sense.

Planes kor! Jet ni

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 11:40am On Aug 09, 2014
Alexkene:

Cool story!

I have heard of this, but it makes no sense.

Planes kor! Jet ni
so it's your oka ada story that makes sense, abi? Are you telling me that it was only ibos that imported and rode bikes then? The word abi used in my sentence can have an ibo meaning but that doesn't mean it is not used as a yoruba word fused in the daily english speaking of nigerians.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Yemimovich(m): 11:42am On Aug 09, 2014
homerac7:

It does not in anyway discredit the postulation of OP.

Alubosa is part of Nigera north-south acculturation . ALUBOSA is onion in Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba along with hundreds of other minority languages. Same as box for APOTI in Yoruba, AKPATI in Igbo and AKWATI in Hausa. Rice is SHINKFA in Hausa while it is OSHIKPA/OSHIPAKA in Igbo. Numerous words as such aren't peculiar to a language.

Alubosa is onion in yoruba...albasa is onion in hausa and if alubosa is onion in igbo,then it's an adopted name due to acculturation,which i believe igbo scholars might prove it that there must be an indigenous name for onion in their own language....everything has been interwoven but there must always be an origin for everything...for example now, sabi in pidgin english here in naija means to know,whereas sabir is the word for "to know" in Portuguese language, and not forgetting their escapades to nigeria, and also lagos means lagoon from portuguese language...so let the ball keep rolling

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by timilehing(m): 11:58am On Aug 09, 2014
fearlessigboman:

Guy, u no get sense at all...
if u read wat the Op said. oyibo in Igbo means white person (asin western people nt any fair guy)... how on earth will u ask someone "do u speak white man" ? Bekee means english.. even if sef.. they hav words that's av two diff spelling but mean the same tin .. like nine (9) can be called iteghite or itoolu
Get ur facts right before quoting me again bro
iwu ndi ara maka dat. was there any insult in my post?? Go back to akwukwo &learn ur asusu igbo wella. The Britons were are also called English till now just like calling a France man a french which is also there language. Igbo called light-skinned ppl "ocha" as in nwayi ocha meaning fair lady. Oyibo is never a word originated from Igbo. Ask any Nigerian indigenous language linguistics.
Learn phrase combination in Igbo before you quote me again. Ofeke

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by pazienza(m): 1:54pm On Aug 09, 2014
diamondpaul: I understand the...pain..of d igbo's alway's trying to show ego..in any tribal related discussion even though it doesn't concerne them.because u guy's have lived all your life in lagos it's definite the culture of the place u lived in will change ur perception abt thing's..imagine that fool saying alubosa is an igbo word thank's for that person who corrected him..moreover..how can oga and oyinbo not be yoruba word's...well whatever all this dipute about whether it originated from yoruba or not make's me proud of being a yor.#oduduwa ppeo turn up.

Nobody said Alabosa or whatever is an Igbo word. Lol!

The Igbo is a diverse group, names for a thing varies from one Igbo clan to the next. Onions is Yabas in some Igbo towns, while some Igbo towns call it Ayo. I am sure that there other Igbo towns that call it names other than Ayo and Yabas(i).

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by pazienza(m): 2:08pm On Aug 09, 2014
timilehing: iwu ndi ara maka dat. was there any insult in my post?? Go back to akwukwo &learn ur asusu igbo wella. The Britons were are also called English till now just like calling a France man a french which is also there language. Igbo called light-skinned ppl "ocha" as in nwayi ocha meaning fair lady. Oyibo is never a word originated from Igbo. Ask any Nigerian indigenous language linguistics.
Learn phrase combination in Igbo before you quote me again. Ofeke

Lol! It's either you are not Igbo at all, or if you are Igbo, you are from southern Igboland(Abia and Imo), for i have already seen some of my southern Igbo peeps saying that the word 'Oyibo' doesn't sound Igbo, and i understand that what they mean by 'Igbo' in this context is their southern dialects, much of which became incorporated into central Igbo, and which is part of the reason why men like Achebe refused to use central Igbo in his writings, reason being that it is too biased and leans more to southern Igbo dialects.

Believe it or not, 'Oyibo' in my part of Igboland is an Igbo word, we have families with 'Oyibo' as surnames, with the Oyibo being an abridged versions of long names like 'Oyiboanugo', oso OYIBO, etc.

So, young man, don't stay in your part of Igboland,and dictate for other Igbos, what is and what isn't an Igbo word, using your own dialect as a standard.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by pazienza(m): 2:16pm On Aug 09, 2014
omowolewa: There are times that words gain wide acceptance and adoption that no group can lay claim to it. Words like 'wahala', 'gra-gra'....

Am caught in this argument because am familiar with the word 'behkkeh' and 'Oyinbo' (which there is no other substitute for it in yoruba language). I don't engage in NL tribal arguments.

Since there is no price attached to winning this argument, why not let lay it to rest.

Beeke is a Southern Igbo word that ended up being used as a standard written Igbo word for 'whiteman', but in no time in history does an Onicha man and other Igbos from Onicha environment, refer to the white man as Beeke, 'Beeke' is a word every one of us in Anambra and Enugu area, learn in school,during Igbo class. We don't use it outside the Igbo class.

4 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by timilehing(m): 2:16pm On Aug 09, 2014
pazienza:

Lol! It's either you are not Igbo at all, or if you are Igbo, you are from southern Igboland(Abia and Imo), for i have already seen some of my southern Igbo peeps saying that the word 'Oyibo' doesn't sound Igbo, and i understand that what they mean by 'Igbo' in this context is their southern dialects, much of which became incorporated into central Igbo, and which is part of the reason why men like Achebe refused to use central Igbo in his writings, reason being that it is too biased and leans more to southern Igbo dialects.

Believe it or not, 'Oyibo' in my part of Igboland is an Igbo word, we have families with 'Oyibo' as surnames, with the Oyibo being an abridged versions of long names like 'Oyiboanugo', oso OYIBO, etc.

So, young man, don't stay in your part of Igboland,and dictate for other Igbos, what is and what isn't an Igbo word, using your own dialect as a standard.
Now you're talking sense but FYI, esim na anambra
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by jtroy(m): 2:25pm On Aug 09, 2014
omowolewa: Nice one

But I think 'Behkkeh' is the Ibo word for Oyinbo.

Or can we say 'Alubosa' (Onion) has an Ibo origin due to the fact that there is a word 'Alu' in Ibo language?

If 'Onye-Ibo' refers to someone from Ibo land,

'Onye-Behkkeh' should be the Ibo word for people of western nation origin.
(No offence intended pls).

Maybe u should have read it properly before coming to a conclusion. The writer clearly states as a way to mock the white people for not pronouncing onye igbo correctly, the igbos stated calling them onyibo.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by pazienza(m): 2:26pm On Aug 09, 2014
timilehing: Now you're talking sense but FYI, esim na anambra

Hope you are not from Orumba/Aguata areas. Because linguistically speaking those areas of Anambra are closer to Imo and Abia areas, than they are to the Awka-Onicha-Idemili-Ayamelum- Anaocha-Njikoka-Dunkofia- Oyi-Ogbaru dialects cluster.

Cos, i am well aware that in Umunze, an Orumba town, Europe is 'Ala beeke' just as land is 'Ala'.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by timilehing(m): 2:42pm On Aug 09, 2014
pazienza:

Hope you are not from Orumba/Aguata areas. Because linguistically speaking those areas of Anambra are closer to Imo and Abia areas, than they are to the Awka-Onicha-Idemili-Ayamelum- Anaocha-Njikoka-Dunkofia- Oyi-Ogbaru dialects cluster.

Cos, i am well aware that in Umunze, an Orumba town, Europe is 'Ala beeke' just as land is 'Ala'.
Aguata it is. Ezinifite
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by pazienza(m): 2:46pm On Aug 09, 2014
timilehing: Aguata it is. Ezinifite

That explains it.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Ranchhoddas: 2:50pm On Aug 09, 2014
Chukky86:

Not big. But tall. Get the point.
more like huge.Get the point.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by timilehing(m): 3:00pm On Aug 09, 2014
pazienza:

That explains it.
Yeah but...........................am not an Igbo. I stay in that village
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by daveP(m): 3:07pm On Aug 09, 2014
priscaoge: Beautiful Thread like this will not make FP undecided unless it's Ebola. Very soon they will push this poo "Bath with warm water n Salt as Ebola vaccine " to FP. Not only Salt n water undecided add Cameroon or yellow pepper to the bathing water n drink Izal sad angry Ignorance is a disease that is worst than Ebola itself.

@Op Nice thread. It's quite educative, we learn everyday n I just did. Thanks grin
lol Prisca take it easy now. Well u ave a point though. The Fp part. How are u doing
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by pazienza(m): 3:18pm On Aug 09, 2014
timilehing: Yeah but...........................am not an Igbo. I stay in that village

NYSC things?
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by femi4: 3:48pm On Aug 09, 2014
tsolz84: In Southern Igbo areas e.g Abia, Imo and Upland Rivers state including Bonny and Opobo, Oyibo is hardly used for Europeans.Bekee or Nwabeeke, onye ocha or Ndiocha is used instead of Oyibo.The Igbo groups that uses Oyibo are Western and northern Igbos.The souther Igbo people were the first to encounter the Europeans and they did not call them Oyibos but Ndi ocha...Oyinbo literal meaning is pealed back honey/ Peeled skinned people which is the termed by yorubas to address light skin foreigner..This word Oyinbo is not only used in Nigeria but also by Crelos people in Serri leano and according to them, they got it from the yoruba word..Oyibo is an Igbo way of saying Oyinbo which was originally never an Igbo word. Lets get our facts right here.It iss just like saying the word "na" is orginally hausa or so,we all know that "na" is a corrupt version of "nna" thus of Igbo origin..@OP;pls get ur fact right b4 posting
1million likes!

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by femi4: 4:05pm On Aug 09, 2014
Oyinbo = Oyin to bo = Honey that peels

The natural colour of honey is synonymous to Black/dark skin

When the honey changes colour from black (i.e peels), it becomes red/white skinned.

Qed!
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by MrT2011(m): 4:15pm On Aug 09, 2014
Waspy: Keep following goon... you are meant to....you are born to come behind. As*licker. Keep at it loser/attache-by-force

We have sent you a companion!

In Time you'll know.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

We already have you!
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Paspane: 4:24pm On Aug 09, 2014
kai... Nigerians fighting over irrelevant things since 1914 okay igbos "oyibo" yorubas "oyinbo " are u satisfied now
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Abatemtem(m): 5:05pm On Aug 09, 2014
All I see is a bunch of dunce human beings arguin over a little issue. How does the word being Yoruba or Igbo add to d money in ur bank account
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by priscaoge(f): 6:41pm On Aug 09, 2014
daveP: lol Prisca take it easy now. Well u ave a point though. The Fp part. How are u doing
Lol am good. Am sure ur day was awesome!
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by daveP(m): 7:15pm On Aug 09, 2014
priscaoge:
Lol am good. Am sure ur day was awesome!
almost. Thanks to erm d weather. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by macof(m): 7:32pm On Aug 09, 2014
Bolt3: The origin of the word is difficult to ascertain, some people believe the name is coined from the Yoruba translation of "peeled skin" or "skinless" which in Yoruba translates to "yin" - scratch "bo" - off/peel. In Igbo language demonym takes the form " onye + the place of origin" of the person, hence, and Igbo person is called " Onye Igbo". A Yoruba person is called " Onye Yoruba". A German is "onye Germany". Thus the first white people were called "onye ocha" for singular and "ndi ocha" for plural meaning "white person and white people" respectively. This was because the Igbo people of those days did not know from where the white people came. Interaction between the Igbos and the white people resulted in the white people trying to refer to the Igbos with a name similar to what the Igbos called them, but there was problem in pronouncing Igbo words due to presence of double lettered alphabets which involve nasal pronunciation,in some of the consonants such as 'ch', 'gb', 'gh', 'gw', 'kp', 'kw', 'nw', 'ny', 'sh'. These were not present in English language hence the difficulty in the white man's effort in giving the Igbos similar demonym as the Igbo people had given to him, instead a name resulting from a mutilation of Igbo words was produced "Oyi ibo' instead of " onyi igbo' meaning 'Igbo person' just as he 'the white man' was called ' onye ocha' meaning 'white person'. It was this 'oyi ibo' that the Igbos later started referring to as 'white person' in a way of mocking the white man for his inability in saying "Onye Igbo". This would later be adopted by other Southern Nigerian tribes as the standard name for the white man and coupled with dialect variance one obtains different pronunciations such as "Oyinbo' in Yoruba and other western Nigerian tribes. Also, 'Oyibo' means English Language in Igbo. In general usage it may refer to individuals with various skin complaints such as vitiligo or genetic conditions such as albinism.

Completely false but a funny story tho. Where do u people come up with these revolving around Igbo people??

Oyibo is an igbo word that has it's origins with the Yoruba "Oyinbo"

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by shadowwalker101: 7:39pm On Aug 09, 2014
okay have heard [img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by semitunde: 7:42pm On Aug 09, 2014
People that are used to those words can be excused to think those words originate from them. Its like a song that is common in a church and the ppl there assume that they are the originators.

Many Yoruba words have been turned into slangs so much by even non-yorubas that sometimes they forget the origin.

Op, Oyinbo is a Yoruba word.

An igbo friend who grew up in maiduguri heard me say "nko" as part of my conversation in yoruba and was asking me where I learnt Igbo. He assumed "nko" is part of igbo language because they use it when speaking in both igbo and English. He never believed me when I told him its yoruba. There are many more like that.

Maybe this is because western Nigeria is the most immigrated part of the country. Its like trying to ape the american slangs. Sometimes without understanding the full meaning.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by macof(m): 7:45pm On Aug 09, 2014
Do u people not even realize that It's only Delta state people that say Oyibo??
Most far eastern igbos don't use that word

Even Urhobo and Itsekiri maybe also Ijaw use the word too
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 10, 2014
we can lie lie lie
......blind man wey see this self go cry
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by olabalo4al(m): 11:04am On Aug 10, 2014
am sorry to say that the yoruba meaning oyibo was misconstructed by the editor of the topic because the word OYI means cold breeze/weather and BO means piill-off which when combined together depicts human whose skin is pilled off to a lighter color as a result of the chilled breeze. so u all should be guided accordingly
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by Missmossy(f): 1:28pm On Aug 10, 2014
Oyibo sounds amusing anyway.
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by PeterKbaba: 10:51pm On Aug 10, 2014
Just like the work TOKUNBO [/b]cars that everyone uses in Nigeria, is from the Yoruba's --------- [b]Ti Okun Bo Cars
Ti Okun Bo = Came from overseas
Re: The Origin Of The Word Oyibo by nex(m): 12:43am On Aug 11, 2014
Oyibo is an Edo word.

The first set of Caucasians to meet the Binis were the Portuguese, and were called "Potoki", however, when other Caucasians started making contact with the Binis, and they certainly were neither Africans, nor Portuguese, they were seen as "Other People" by the locals. Though some of the continued to refer to the British and French as Potoki, but people around the Auchi area called them "Oya Ibo" (Oy'Ibo) which means " Person From Another Place".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

School Resumption: Oyo, Rivers, Sokoto, Four Others Shun Fg’s Directive / JAMB Starts Issuing Admissions Today / Photo: School Without Walls In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.