Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,926 members, 7,803,003 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying (3059 Views)

If Death Comes For You Today,Are You Ready? / You can make HEAVEN....why choose HELL? / Death Is Not The Worst (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Nobody: 7:27am On Aug 08, 2014
Christians often say that when we die we are immediately transported to heaven where there is everlasting joy, peace etc.

But if it where so, why are some of us believers the most cowardly in the face of death, why do we fight to stay alive, use seatbelts in our cars, eat healthy food, take medicine , scream ' In Jesus name ' when there is a small wobbling of a plane in the sky , curse those who want to bring death to us and ask God to rain down fire on our enemies.

Surely if we enter heaven after death, we should all start celebrating death and delete scriptures such as ' oh death where is thy sting ' or ' the final enemy to overcome is death '.

So tell me , why are you scared of dying O Christian for heaven awaits thee on the other side. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by PastorKun(m): 7:30am On Aug 08, 2014
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Nobody: 9:27am On Aug 08, 2014
PastorKun: grin grin grin

They will dodge this question, just watch grin
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by shdemidemi(m): 9:49am On Aug 08, 2014
Many Christians are scared to die because they don't truly believe or have faith in scriptures. Most are following and associating with Christianity with one eye opened, anything that will bring discomfort to their flesh is a NO-No, not knowing that the Spirit revels when the flesh is weak.

God did not say a glory will be revealed in us here but promised a glory beyond comprehension that would be revealed at the coming of Christ. No wonder Paul says absence in the body is presence with God.

Physical death is better for a Christian if he truly understands the gospel. I have not said go look for where and how to die, but if it comes embrace it with the assurance that it is far better than whatever you call comfort in the world.
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Sanchez01: 10:25am On Aug 08, 2014
The number one thing I need to correct is that death is NOT the ticket to heaven. That being said, most times, Christians, or rather, believers are carried away by the things of the world, and as such, they not only forget but overlook the purpose for their being on earth. You see, everyone is called for a purpose; we are called to purpose, and it is very much possible for people to lose sight of what they have been called to do. Similarly, God wanted Adam and Eve to walk by revelation, they however missed it when they lost their sight on the purpose for which they were created. Unfortunately, some believers do not walk in the consciousness of the Holy Spirit, that explains why most of them know deep down that they might not make heaven should rapture take place. And about using seat belts et al, that one is a believer does not imply that you live a reckless life. However, when death lurks around the corner for a TRUE Christian, it is celebrated and taken in good light. Death is not the end of a BELIEVER; it is indeed the beginning of a glorious beginning with the Father of Light. Still, there is a purpose to which everyone was designed.

#Shalom!

2 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Demainman1: 10:32am On Aug 08, 2014
The reason why people especially black people(Nigerian/black africans), Christian/non-Christians are scared to die is because of "What becomes of their loved ones" when they are gone.

Knowing that there is no welfare system in place to sustain their immediate families, it is ok to beg/pray/hope for a long life so as to see your children become adults and being able to take care of themselves with little or no support.

We all know what injustice family members (Uncle, Aunties, brothers and sisters, grandpa and grandma) can and will do with the children once one or both of their parents dies.
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by twosquare(m): 12:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
Death is not a ticket to heaven.it's just ignorance of some folks....you don't have to die to before you see or enter heaven
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by ayoku777(m): 1:28pm On Aug 08, 2014
First and foremost, death is not the ticket to heaven -Faith in Jesus is. People die and go to hell everyday; and there are accounts of people who went to heaven in their bodies -Enoch, Elijah and Jesus. Paul himself also hinted that "he knew of a man who was taken to the third heaven" before dying.

That being said, there are many immature, ignorant and mundane reasons why christians fear death or don't want to die. I know a few but I can't speak for other christians.

As for me, if I don't want to die yet, it would be because I know I won't hear from the Lord "Weldone, thou good and faithful servant." Because I've not done much for Him and His kingdom, much less being faithful at it.

Relative to the many things He has placed on my heart to do, I'm so not ready to meet my Lord yet. I've not even begun to start to scratch the surface of my calling.

We need to understand that its not just about making heaven. Making heaven is good; but what about the kingdom? There are rewards and positions in the kingdom. There will be the greatest and the least in the kingdom of God. And these positions are not given out by God arbitrarily -or handed out based on His mood.

They are given relative and according to christlikeness and what you did with it. By how much of the glory of Christ you behold, how much of the image of the glory of Christ you're changed into; and how much of the glory of Christ you brought forth.

Not many christians have done or are doing things that are moving them beyond just being heaven-worthy to being great in the age to come.

Some christians will cry and smote their b.reast, even in heaven; when they see the crown, the throne and the authority they forfeited -despite that they made it to heaven.

That's why I don't want to die yet, coz I won't be great in the kingdom or hear "welldone good and faithful servant" with what I've done for God just yet.

I don't fear death; but I want my Lord to be proud of His investment in me when I see His face. And I've not justified or done much with that investment just yet.

10 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by dekung(m): 2:48pm On Aug 08, 2014
The import of this post is not about death being a ticket or entry requirement for heaven however it is the only gateway out of life because you can't "go to heaven" if you don't die anyway. What the OP is trying to say is how come Christians run away from anything that has the.coloration of death especially in this part of the world, since when they die they are sure of heaven and their description of heaven is an extremely beautiful and idyllic place. For example we all see adverts about Canada being a nice place to live. If someone says you will get Canadian visa today nobody will reject it in Jesus name. So how come no one wants to die, heaven should be more beautiful than Canada IMO. So Christians, why are you afraid to die? Go to heaven and leave us who are still in doubt of its existence.

5 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 08, 2014
To Fear death or demise is only a natural human behavior. very few are truly spiritual or have the iron-clad spirit of a samurai warrior who expects death and accepts it. even Christians ought to fear death because no one except Jesus has come back from Death

1 Like

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by twosquare(m): 3:17pm On Aug 08, 2014
dekung: The import of this post is not about death being a ticket or entry requirement for heaven however it is the only gateway out of life because you can't "go to heaven" if you don't die anyway. What the OP is trying to say is how come Christians run away from anything that has the.coloration of death especially in this part of the world, since when they die they are sure of heaven and their description of heaven is an extremely beautiful and idyllic place. For example we all see adverts about Canada being a nice place to live. If someone says you will get Canadian visa today nobody will reject it in Jesus name. So how come no one wants to die, heaven should be more beautiful than Canada IMO. So Christians, why are you afraid to die? Go to heaven and leave us who are still in doubt of its existence.
you're wrong in your assertion: you can't go to heaven if you don't die anyway.
Death is not the only way out of here..that's the lie of satan.
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Weah96: 3:26pm On Aug 08, 2014
Good question. Most Christians are operating under Pascal's wager. They don't really believe in God, but rather than take the chance, they accept the dogma of the bible as the truth anyway. There are several things wrong with that attitude, not the least of which is the fact that their God can read minds. grin

2 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Olusanya333(m): 4:23pm On Aug 08, 2014
dekung: The import of this post is not about death being a ticket or entry requirement for heaven however it is the only gateway out of life because you can't "go to heaven" if you don't die anyway. What the OP is trying to say is how come Christians run away from anything that has the.coloration of death especially in this part of the world, since when they die they are sure of heaven and their description of heaven is an extremely beautiful and idyllic place. For example we all see adverts about Canada being a nice place to live. If someone says you will get Canadian visa today nobody will reject it in Jesus name. So how come no one wants to die, heaven should be more beautiful than Canada IMO. So Christians, why are you afraid to die? Go to heaven and leave us who are still in doubt of its existence.
To live for me is good but to die is gain. I have never once since i give my life to Christ afraid of Death because there is nothing to lose.

2 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Weah96: 11:05am On Aug 09, 2014
Olusanya333: To live for me is good but to die is gain. I have never once since i give my life to Christ afraid of Death because there is nothing to lose.
Are you ready to meet Christ anytime within the next 24 hours?

1 Like

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Olusanya333(m): 12:12pm On Aug 09, 2014
Weah96: Are you ready to meet Christ anytime within the next 24 hours?
you have said so
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Joshthefirst(m): 12:12pm On Aug 09, 2014
frosbel: Christians often say that when we die we are immediately transported to heaven where there is everlasting joy, peace etc.

But if it where so, why are some of us believers the most cowardly in the face of death, why do we fight to stay alive, use seatbelts in our cars, eat healthy food, take medicine , scream ' In Jesus name ' when there is a small wobbling of a plane in the sky , curse those who want to bring death to us and ask God to rain down fire on our enemies.

Surely if we enter heaven after death, we should all start celebrating death and delete scriptures such as ' oh death where is thy sting ' or ' the final enemy to overcome is death '.

So tell me , why are you scared of dying O Christian for heaven awaits thee on the other side. cheesy
that we know we're going to heaven when we die does not mean we should make ourselves prone to death. That would be foolish. We have things to do.

I am not scares of dying. Like Paul, for me to live is Christ and to die is gain. And I will stay and live to keep changing men's lives until it is time for me to go.

1 Like

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 09, 2014
Belivers are scared of death because, in a secular sense,

Hope springs eternal.

I.e., everyone has something to live for.

A father or mother who is breadwiner of his/her family prays and hopes that he/she lives long enough to take care of their family e.t.c

Sons/daughters pray that they live long to fulfil their parents expectations, provide grandsons/daughters for their parents e.t.c

In a nutshell, it's because nobody is ever ready for death, one always has something doing or expecting something. One always have a reason to expect another day. Hence, i iterate

Hope springs eternal.

In the spiritual sense, Nobody is ever sure of his lot in the after-life, the fear of meeting an offended God, e.t.c.

Ciao

1 Like

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 09, 2014
voltron: To Fear death or demise is only a natural human behavior.

I concur sir.

Even Jesus human nature wished to preserve life during his agony in the garden of gethsemane, let me make it pellucid.

Jesus human nature was also scared of Death hence during his anguish @ gethsemane he cried out,

if possible let this cup pass away from me.
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Weah96: 3:08pm On Aug 09, 2014
Olusanya333: you have said so

Typical Christian. Running from the real Jesus as usual. Leave the devil's playground to us. Death in the next 24 hours should be your greatest blessing from God yet.
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by alexleo(m): 4:44pm On Aug 09, 2014
Matthew 12:14,15

14 Then the Pharisees went out and plotted against Him, how they might destroy Him.

15 But when Jesus knew it, He withdrew from there. And great multitudes[c] followed Him, and He healed them all.

From the above scripture you can see that when the pharisees wanted to kill Jesus before God's appointed time he withdrew himself. He didn't yield because he hasn't fulfilled God's set mission for him on earth so it wasn't yet God's time for him to die. Yet when God's appointed time came later he yielded himself to them and even when peter was trying to put up a defence for him he stopped him from doing so.

I am not afraid of death by the grace of God and I believe that's the case with some christians. Yet I will not yield to death when its not yet God's time as Christ my master did not yield. I don't care at whatever age I die provided I am fit for heaven and it is God"s time.

If it is God's time for me to die today being 09/08/2014, may God make me fit for heaven and take me in JESUS name. AMEN and AMEN!

2 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Mikkie31(m): 6:47pm On Aug 09, 2014
Let me just quickly correct something here. When a believer or a non-believer dies,contrary to our believes,they do not go to heaven or hell at that instant but they are rather asleep and awaiting judgement when Jesus comes. I could give quite a handful of biblical passages to shed more light on this but i just decided to write this quickly when i had the chance. Jesus will come with Judgement and reward,until then,the dead are rather asleep and awaiting Judgment and reward. And to those who doubt whether the that day will come or not,you can't attain that level of believe as long as you try to understand spiritual matters with your mind because the mind was designed to only believe the things it can see and prove by all 6 senses.

1 Like

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by shdemidemi(m): 6:53pm On Aug 09, 2014
Weah96:

Typical Christian. Running from the real Jesus as usual. Leave the devil's playground to us. Death in the next 24 hours should be your greatest blessing from God yet.

Yes, it is the greatest blessing from a believer's view point. A life lived in the greatest opulence and luxury for 80 years max can't be compared to what awaits for the whole of eternity. If we have to look at this life deeply, we would realize how discontent we as a people are because nothing satisfies our deepest desires, our hopes eventually will fail us. Our deepest desires are insatiable; they are inconsolable, indelible because NOTHING SATISFIES but we live in denial refusing to admit the level of our discontentment.

Hope of eternity gives a believer perseverance and a balanced mind while in this evil system called the world.

2 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Weah96: 4:39pm On Aug 10, 2014
shdemidemi:

Yes, it is the greatest blessing from a believer's view point.

So what are you waiting for? Pursue your greatest blessing, make it happen.
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by haibe(m): 5:03pm On Aug 10, 2014
Mikkie31: Let me just quickly correct something here. When a believer or a non-believer dies,contrary to our believes,they do not go to heaven or hell at that instant but they are rather asleep and awaiting judgement when Jesus comes. I could give quite a handful of biblical passages to shed more light on this but i just decided to write this quickly when i had the chance. Jesus will come with Judgement and reward,until then,the dead are rather asleep and awaiting Judgment and reward. And to those who doubt whether the that day will come or not,you can't attain that level of believe as long as you try to understand spiritual matters with your mind because the mind was designed to only believe the things it can see and prove by all 6 senses.
thumbs up
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by haibe(m): 5:04pm On Aug 10, 2014
Those scared of dying are probably not true believers.

1 Like

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by shdemidemi(m): 10:54pm On Aug 10, 2014
Weah96:

So what are you waiting for? Pursue your greatest blessing, make it happen.

Y d rush..God will bless you and I with it at some point.
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Weah96: 5:22am On Aug 11, 2014
shdemidemi:

Y d rush..God will bless you and I with it at some point.

I'm in no rush. But that's only because I don't buy into religion, Jesus, Yahweh, or Allah. If I did, I wouldn't mind precipitating my own demise. That's why Muslims have more faith in their God than Christians do. The current suicide bombing community is exclusively Islamic, and I can't say that I blame them. If there is a God, then one is obliged to do whatever that God commands, even if you're being ordered to decapitate your mother or eat your own children. Muslims believe that they're carrying out the will of Allah by killing themselves as well as others. Without any means to prove God, I believe that they're making an excellent choice by being obedient. Only logic can intervene but unfortunately logic is considered foolishness to Yahweh and therefore cannot be used to judge Islamic terrorists.
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by shdemidemi(m): 7:11am On Aug 11, 2014
I don't think I am soliciting for Islam or terrorism here. My God has not sent me to fight for him or anyone for that matter. The book teaches me to be at peace with all men while I propagate the good news of eternal life in God.

2 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Weah96: 7:18am On Aug 11, 2014
shdemidemi: I don't think I am soliciting for Islam or terrorism here. My God has not sent me to fight for him or anyone for that matter. The book teaches me to be at peace with all men while I propagate the good news of eternal life in God.

Good for you. You must ignore the OT completely because it contains divine instructions for genocide, r)ape, slavery, and mass murder. But on what grounds can you condemn someone like bin Laden? Logic is foolishness to your God and bin Laden claimed to be carrying out the will of Allah. In the OT, God ordered others to carry out even WORSE atrocities against their fellow human beings.
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by shdemidemi(m): 7:37am On Aug 11, 2014
Weah96:

Good for you. You must ignore the OT completely because it contains divine instructions for genocide, r)ape, slavery, and mass murder. But on what grounds can you condemn someone like bin Laden? Logic is foolishness to your God and bin Laden claimed to be carrying out the will of Allah. In the OT, God ordered others to carry out even WORSE atrocities against their fellow human beings.

My friend, this thread isn't a thread to defend God and how he defended and fought for His people against others, but about why Christians seem to loathe death.

If you really and sincerely want to know about the old testament, you must view it from the eye of the new where every man is now opened to the opportunity to be a friend of God through Christ.

God's wrath is still lurking for His enemies who will refuse the good news of Christ.

2 Likes

Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by Weah96: 7:54am On Aug 11, 2014
shdemidemi:

My friend, this thread isn't a thread to defend God and how he defended and fought for His people against others, but about why Christians seem to loathe death.

If you really and sincerely want to know about the old testament, you must view it from the eye of the new where every man is now opened to the opportunity to be a friend of God through Christ.

God's wrath is still lurking for His enemies who will refuse the good news of Christ.

Sure, that makes sense. An omniscient designer takes the time to design human "enemies" to fight against in the future. Is he bored or something? Should have created himself a wife instead, but he foresaw that the woman wasn't going to accept his wickedness, just like Satan didn't. Satan fled heaven because God was too evil and wicked.
Re: If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying by shdemidemi(m): 8:11am On Aug 11, 2014
Weah96:

Sure, that makes sense. An omniscient designer takes the time to design human "enemies" to fight against in the future. Is he bored or something? Should have created himself a wife instead, but he foresaw that the woman wasn't going to accept his wickedness, just like Satan didn't. Satan fled heaven because God was too evil and wicked.

OK..

When you are about to take your last breath, you could also indict Him for asking for your life.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do Birds Fly At Night Or Those Are 'witches'? / Catholics Pls Can U Guys Tell Me What Is Going On? / Is Hell Fire Real? Considering That GOD Is God Of Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.