Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,477 members, 7,801,200 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach (37626 Views)

8 Nigerian Athletes Fail Doping Test As They Tested Positive / Breaking News: 16yr old weightlifter Chika Amalaha Fails Doping Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 08, 2014
Josh316: The coach may be right.

Mind you, she tested positive to the usual masking agents of drugs NOT any performance enhancing drugs. Due to the newer types of designer drugs developed by some pharmaceutical companies for some dubious athletes and the new practice of using diuretics to erase evidence of such use hence masking the presence of the trace components, the World Anti-Doping Agency decided to test instead for the presence of these masking agents which are diuretics. Now Thiazide is a class of diuretics and that was what the young girl tested positive for.

Funny enough, many people do not know that Zobo is made from the commonly known HIBISCUS flower. This flower has many health benefits including lowering blood pressure due to its diuretic properties. Diuretics are commonly prescribed to hypertensives to reduce blood volume and reduce pressure subsequently.

If indeed she went ahead to consume this zobo drink, it shows that her coaches were abreast of vital information and funny enough must be commended (strange yeah?) and the girl must now learn to listen to her coaches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus#Health_benefits

http://www.drugs.com/npp/hibiscus.html
One of the very few sensible posts on this thread. God bless you

4 Likes

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 08, 2014
grin grin grin grin Nothing wey pesin no go hear for Nigeria!! Zobo ko Kunu ni

By the way did I just hear that that Mama is 16 chai!
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by goldfish80(m): 1:45pm On Aug 08, 2014
So unfortunate turn of event for Chika. I was listening to a board member of Nigerian weight Lifting federation president on channels the other day.  He said the athlete in question is a very naive girl, she was discovered last year at the National amateur talent hunt . In fact the first time she ever flew in an aircraft was last year November, she could never have had any access tto performance enhancing substance, she's just 16yrs old. Nigeria must not let this talent go to waste.

1 Like

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Fatdon(m): 1:47pm On Aug 08, 2014
Yes it has, the combination of ginger,
galic and their likes can amount to
drug positive test
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Cway86(f): 1:50pm On Aug 08, 2014
[quote author=Pdizzle][/quote]

Abge stop that, why will u say is lies? Is very possible, there are some drinks and fruit that when taken and go for drugs test may show positive. Guy wake and study well. Akamu.

2 Likes

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Galadimabawa: 1:50pm On Aug 08, 2014
I laugh when I read this
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Oyiboman69: 1:58pm On Aug 08, 2014
now name zobo turn,e go soon dey kill too.anuofia
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Emmanuex(m): 1:59pm On Aug 08, 2014
How those this add to d cure of Ebola

1 Like

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 2:02pm On Aug 08, 2014
God no go allow me consume watin go disgrace me internationally .....
S
Amen ooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by solash: 2:07pm On Aug 08, 2014
So make athletes dey drink only Fanta or wetin?
As in Zobo now no make sense or wetin?

Nonsense!
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 08, 2014
...the coach implied she mixed or took the hard drug with zobo...
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by makzeze: 2:13pm On Aug 08, 2014
I thought they will say she tested positive to ebola virus.
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by fr3do(m): 2:17pm On Aug 08, 2014
solash:
May you live long.

Amen
May you also live long!
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by jericco1(m): 2:18pm On Aug 08, 2014
LOL..
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Gwekzy: 2:20pm On Aug 08, 2014
Tank God say no be ebola...babe next time drink la casera instead........

1 Like

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by gbishman: 2:20pm On Aug 08, 2014
This nairaland people why do u guys abuse the freedom of information. Always confirm ur new before making it known the general public

1 Like

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Bitojoe(m): 2:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
Remember that kolo toure when he was in Manchester city, drank the blood tonic which her wife use to give baby.but was later tested positive because of that...

1 Like

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 08, 2014
sexyexcalibur: ppl won't Blv but it might b true...most of dz tinz have performance enhancing shit init.... remember kolo toure said same tin abt wat his wife use to cook with after he was banned for failing drug test....

Don't mind illiterates. All forms of drugs and performance enhancing medicines have trace quantities in different kinds of foods..

Like myself, I love zobo.and take it everyday unless I dont see it. It has a soothing effect on the body.

Likewise there are food items when consumed together produces by reaction certain other drugs in the body and give us different kinds of feelings. There are food items which aren't alcoholic that once you finish consuming them, you feel dizzy and sleep off at night forgetting to off your generator..

2 Likes

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by JEITO: 2:39pm On Aug 08, 2014
#Blame the other man..

What is this one saying? Is he trying to tell us that the girl is bigger than the weightlifting federation? Or is the federation so indisciplined that they know a 16years old sneaks out of camp to take zobo, yet did nothing

He should tell that to the birds..
We have been drinking zobo for ages now...
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Malawian(m): 2:42pm On Aug 08, 2014
omo, there are different types of Zobo. some put ginger, others put garlic. i have had one i suspect was spiked with ganja.
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Eldavido1: 2:46pm On Aug 08, 2014
Josh316: The coach may be right.

Mind you, she tested positive to the usual masking agents of drugs NOT any performance enhancing drugs. Due to the newer types of designer drugs developed by some pharmaceutical companies for some dubious athletes and the new practice of using diuretics to erase evidence of such use hence masking the presence of the trace components, the World Anti-Doping Agency decided to test instead for the presence of these masking agents which are diuretics. Now Thiazide is a class of diuretics and that was what the young girl tested positive for.

Funny enough, many people do not know that Zobo is made from the commonly known HIBISCUS flower. This flower has many health benefits including lowering blood pressure due to its diuretic properties. Diuretics are commonly prescribed to hypertensives to reduce blood volume and reduce pressure subsequently.

If indeed she went ahead to consume this zobo drink, it shows that her coaches were abreast of vital information and funny enough must be commended (strange yeah?) and the girl must now learn to listen to her coaches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus#Health_benefits

http://www.drugs.com/npp/hibiscus.html

The only sensible post in this thread!
Zobo has a well known diuretic effect. Reason why it is recommended for individuals desirous of weight loss or suffering from hypertension. She was ban for testing positive to diuretic substances not hard drugs. So this story is believeable. But she should learn her lesson by now. As an athlete it's not every thing that the generality of the populace consume you eat. Hope she comes out of this stronger.

leadership.ng/style/353649/zobo-may-need

2 Likes

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Eldavido1: 2:55pm On Aug 08, 2014
Zobo May Be All You Need
Victor Okeke
— March 10, 2014
Tasty and refreshing, there are lots of medicinal benefits associated
with Zobo drink. Victor Okeke reports.
We call it Zobo locally but it is known as Hibiscus Sabdariffa or
Roselle in most other English speaking countries. Zobo drink is a
popular street-side juice usually sold in refill bottles. Zobo is a
supplemental herb that is derived the plants calyces, which are the
collection of sepals separating the blooming flower from the stem. It
is usually soaked into water and drank for its medicinal and
refreshing benefits.
There are lots of medicinal benefits associated with Hibiscus as it
contains a lot of anti-oxidizing agents and vitamins. According to
Dr. Kurtis Frank, although it has a variety of claims medicinally, it
appears to have evidence to support its role in reducing blood
pressures in persons with elevated blood pressure.
Zobo can be taken hot or cold and as iced drink, it is a remedy for

quenching thirst effectively. It is often recommended as an
alternative to artificially prepared commercial sport drinks that are
marketed to physically active individuals. This cooling and thirst
quenching benefit is probably because of the diuretic properties of
Zobo, which helps in the excretion of excess fluid from the body.

The plant also has antihypertensive properties. According to
esgreen.com, this was noted in a study of 70 people were a half of
the people drank Zobo tea daily and the other half took 25 mg of
antihypertensive medicine twice daily. After a month, 79 per cent of
the tea drinkers experienced a ten point reduction in blood pressure,
84 per cent of the ones that took the pharmaceutical drug also
experienced the same reduction in blood pressure.
Some tea drinkers use Zobo drink as a weight reduction therapy.
Our body produces an enzyme known as amylase which functions to
breakdown complex sugar and starch molecules in food. When a
person consumes too much carbohydrate-rich food, that individual
is most likely going to gain weight. According to health experts,
Zobo contains a substance that prevents the production of amylase.
A person regularly taking Zobo drink can thus prevent too much
absorption of carbohydrate and consequently not gain excess
weight.
According to the book “Healing Herbal Teas,” fresh Hibiscus flowers
contain around 6.7 mg of ascorbic acid, a form of vitamin C, which
is one the more essential nutrients needed by the body. Along with
this, Hibiscus is known to have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial
properties. Thus, Hibiscus is often used as a supplement to help
treat coughs and cold. Because of its cooling effect, it is especially
effective in reducing the discomfort of fever that may accompany
such ailments.
It is important to note, however, that higher doses of Hibiscus do
exert some toxic effect, although none of these have been reported
in humans, that being said, they have not been disproven either. It
would be better to avoid taking too much Hibiscus, especially since
many Hibiscus benefits are not dose-dependent.
How to Prepare Zobo Drink
Ingredients: 2 cups of dried Zobo leaves, 5 cups of water, ½ bunch
of pineapple, 2 tbs of vanilla extract, ¼ cup of sugar, 1 ½ tbs of
ginger.
Procedure: Lightly rinse the Zobo leaves in cold water. Wash the
pineapple and peel the skin, slice and set it aside. Add the water in a
pot and bring to a boiling point. As soon as sit starts boiling, add
the rinsed flowers, pineapple and ginger. Cover and boil for 15
minutes, turn off the heat and allow cooling for 5 minutes. Using a
large bowl, sieve the mixture to get the juice. Pour the drained
mixture into a pitcher, add additional water if desired and vanilla
extract. Taste to gauge the level of sweetness before adding sugar.
Stir and refrigerate, best served chilled.

3 Likes

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by onoja12: 2:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
why do you people carry false assumption,where did you read that she was on hard drugs,she only tested positive to a substance,which can be acquired from different foods.i think you cant blame nigeria,its everyday this athletic federation comes up with difference stuff,taking into consideration only the white countries,they don't consult us neither do they conduct their test to reflect africa,its simply a white mans ball game

newspapers: @ Airforce. As in eh, I was so surprise when i saw this on http://www.divanaija.com.ng/chika-amalaha-tested-drug-positive-zobo-drink/

When did Zobo Drink start pumping Drug (Hard Drug Substances into ones blood stream?
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by ycmdng(m): 3:00pm On Aug 08, 2014
So d local Zobo is available in Scotland or she smuggled it out of naija... We suppose strip d coach of something. undecided

1 Like

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by 9jatatafo(m): 3:03pm On Aug 08, 2014
Chika was not found of having any form of hard drugs on her two blood samples. Here offense was that her blood contains MASKING AGENTS. Which is a serious doping offense. A MASKING AGENTS will not enable the lab scientists to detect the actual hard drugs or banned substances she might have taken. So this man who is speaking horseshit should be probed and investigated properly. I believed someone knows something we don't know. This man should tell us what are the chemical substances that are contained in ZOBO drink. What is the name of the masking agents found in Chika's blood sample? Waiting for life drama.
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by femi4: 3:11pm On Aug 08, 2014
jennylove7575: I said it, there is something fishy about that drink. The name is odd.. The meaning of zobo in my native dialect is......"wide pusssy" or "slacked pusssy" hmm Na wah!
You can lie gan sha.... Zobo = slacked/wide pusssy? If I hear!!!
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by litaninja(m): 3:11pm On Aug 08, 2014
Zobo ko, Nutri C ni.... grin

1 Like

Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Afrok(m): 3:14pm On Aug 08, 2014
This world would've been a better place if "excuses" does not exist for failure or wrong doings. Well I've got nothing to say coz the gold medal had been collected from her and I ain't doubting the fact that "zobo" might be the cause either. I just hope she and other athletes will learn from this and avoid taking (zobo if it's TRUE) drugs.
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Youngzedd(m): 3:15pm On Aug 08, 2014
They have ear but they cannot hear.

[size=13pt]Don't return back to 9ja without that gold, don't even think of coming back[/size]
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Fourwinds: 3:17pm On Aug 08, 2014
jennylove7575: I said it, there is something fishy about that drink. The name is odd.. The meaning of zobo in my native dialect is......"wide pusssy" or "slacked pusssy" hmm Na wah!
hmmmmmmm...in my dialet. zobor means leave it. dats feele....yoruba.
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 08, 2014
It cud be true dat its d zobo dat got ha nabbed whch made ha take d masking drug. D maskin drug was to cover traces of d zobo she took wen tested. D girl neva knew dat d masking drug was prohibited and deemd illegal for use by athletes. Dats y she got stripd off ha medal.
Re: Chika Amalaha Tested Positive Because She Drank ‘Zobo’ - Coach by DARock29: 3:19pm On Aug 08, 2014
No be only Zobo na jedi jedi, what a lame excuse for their lackadaisical attitude. it actually shows how in-capable these guys are, could they not have done their own preliminary test, i even doubt if the athletics fedeartion of naija have the necessary tools to carry out these tests.

Naija!! hope they sha smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Calls Messi A 'Bad' Player While Discussing With Mascot (Video / English Man Arrested For Masturbating In Public In The Centre Of Madrid / Dele Ajiboye Weds Folashade Olohunsogo (Pre-Wedding Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.