Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,999 members, 7,806,903 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. (19239 Views)

Latest Wigs Trends :box Braids On Wigs / Ancient Egyptian Woman With 70 Hair Extensions Discovered / Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by philip0906(m): 9:20pm On Aug 12, 2014
Nigerian women will do anything including trading their dark below-the-navel region alias punny to buy any hair extension including daddy showkey's dada. They are only interested in going to elegushi,shoprite,bleaching cream,eating suya,buying iphones,brazillian hair and that's where their brains and intellects end.

4 Likes

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Silensa(m): 9:21pm On Aug 12, 2014
FP all the way since way i download Nairaland app..[/quote][/b][quote author=Babyboy1986]Hmmm, Na wa ooo i no fit shout ooo.

Abeg oo Nairaland don get app?
Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by okotv(m): 9:23pm On Aug 12, 2014
No woman without natural hair really appeals to me cause its fake and sinful.

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 12, 2014
Shame on you African women.

At the end of it all, y'all look like gorillas with weaves sad

2 Likes

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by charlesditro: 9:23pm On Aug 12, 2014
MiguelMi6:
With all the skill of a master weaver at a loom,
Esther Ogble stands under a parasol in the
sprawling Wuse market in Nigeria’s capital and
spins synthetic fibre into women’s hair.

Nearby, three customers – one in a hijab – wait for
a turn to spend several hours and $40 to have their
hair done, a hefty sum in a country where many
live on less than $2 a day.
While still largely based in the informal economy,
the African haircare business has become a multi-
billion dollar industry that stretches to China and
India and has drawn global giants such as L’Oreal and Unilever.

Hairdressers such as Ogble are a fixture of markets and taxi ranks across Africa, reflecting both the continent’s rising incomes and demand from hair-conscious women.
“I need to braid my hair so that I will look
beautiful,” said 25-year-old Blessing James, wincing as Ogble combed and tugged at the back of her head before weaving in a plait that fell well past the shoulder.

While reliable Africa-wide figures are hard to come by, market research firm Euromonitor International estimates $1.1 billion of shampoos, relaxers and hair lotions were sold in South Africa, Nigeria and Cameroon alone last year.It sees the liquid haircare market growing by about 5 percent from 2013 to 2018 in Nigeria and Cameroon,with a slight decline for the more mature South African market.

This does not include sales from more than 40
other sub-Saharan countries, or the huge “dry hair”
market of weaves, extensions and wigs crafted
from everything from synthetic fibre to human or
yak hair.

Some estimates put Africa’s dry hair industry at as
much as $6 billion a year; Nigerian singer Muma
Gee recently boasted that she spends 500,000
naira ($3,100) on a single hair piece made of 11
sets of human hair.

The report also included the staggering numbers
for hair products in the United States: In one clue to
the potential for Africa, market research firm Mintel
put the size of the black haircare market in the
United States at $684 million in 2013, estimating
that it could be closer to $500 billion if weaves,
extensions and sales from independent beauty
stores or distributors are included. What is certain
is that Africa’s demand for hair products,
particularly those made from human hair, is only
growing.
- Yahoo.

www.radar.ng/art-life/study-shows-african-ladies-spend-over-7-billion-on-weaves-wigs-extensions-relaxers/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=study-shows-african-ladies-spend-over-7-billion-on-weaves-wigs-extensions-relaxers
What a fake life we blacks do adopt, now we've lost our true identity. still in da slave days.
Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Dipville(m): 9:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ontop the dull heads.....Gawd.....!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by uzolexis(f): 9:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
50calibre:

You're either in denial or just deceiving yourself. Its not stale, it can never be stale as its a clear and ongoing issue with black women.

You can choose to accept or not but the realities are undeniable.

Do you know that some white women with straight hair want to have curly kinky hair like black women. I keep my natural hair and some of my white friends are so envious cause i can change my hairstyle anytime and do a lot of stuffs with my hair which theirs cant do and some of them are chemically treating their hair to make it a bit curly n kinky. Would you say they are insecure tooo........ but when it's a black woman y'all will be shouting insecurity......abeg give us a break jor. angry angry

3 Likes

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 12, 2014
You can't just conclude that because a black woman wears 'caucasian' hair and feels confident in it,
She is fake and insecure
So the fact that the hair is from other races, she does not like her own hair?
If that's the case, we might as well stop dressing the western way, eating foreign food of other 'races'
So that we don't look fake
50calibre:

In this context, they are related. Insecurity isn't limited to ugly women, a beautiful woman can feel insecure because she feels she isn't beautiful. The opinion of other don't matter, what matters is what she feels.

Same applies to black women, often times I say a black woman adorning her natural hair looks beautiful, but they don't agree to this.

Why must black women buy fake hair which looks like that of other races, what message does that send? These days you see a black woman confidently wearing a straightened blonde weave, accepting compliments with smiles on their faces.

Don't you suddenly realise it's all fake? I don't get how I can wear a Caucasian hair or put on a Caucasian mask on my face and feel confident.

3 Likes

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Dipville(m): 9:29pm On Aug 12, 2014
@philip0906...u so damn right bro.....u got the description of the bithces perfectly............idiats!...trading punny 4 frivolous shits

philip0906: Nigerian women will do anything including trading their dark below-the-navel region alias punny to buy any hair extension including daddy showkey's dada. They are only interested in going to elegushi,shoprite,bleaching cream,eating suya,buying iphones,brazillian hair and that's where their brains and intellects end.

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by nanhilicious(f): 9:29pm On Aug 12, 2014
I'm not ma hair!!!*singing* I love ma natural hair buh it can be stressful and exhaustingly boring to wear only ur natural hair all the tym... Trust me, I hate to bore maself angry And I also believe that whenever I decide to add any extension to ma hair, it is me who makes d extension look good and not d oda way round! wink kiss
Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 12, 2014
Going bald is a mohawk-having man's worst nightmare tongue

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:36pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ladystewie: The search for beauty sha grin
anything a lady feels will make her more beautiful

No,it is the black woman and her insatiable desire for a white woman's hair.
Very embarrassing and degrading.
Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:37pm On Aug 12, 2014
nanhilicious: I'm not ma hair!!!*singing* I love ma natural hair buh it can be stressful and exhaustingly boring to wear only ur natural hair all the tym... Trust me, I hate to bore maself angry And I also believe that whenever I decide to add any extension to ma hair, it is me who makes d extension look good and not d oda way round! wink kiss

Another excuse to cover up her deep seated insecurity and lack of self worth.
Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Yemlizzy(f): 9:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
Chai! This is serious.

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 12, 2014
Damnnnn... it's soo annoying when people conclude that it's low self esteem that makes a woman wear weaves
Have they tried to maintain natural hair before
How stressful and hard it is
Weaves are an easy way out ooh

2 Likes

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by 50calibre(m): 9:46pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ladystewie: You can't just conclude that because a black woman wears 'caucasian' hair and feels confident in it,
She is fake and insecure
So the fact that the hair is from other races, she does not like her own hair?
If that's the case, we might as well stop dressing the western way, eating foreign food of other 'races'
So that we don't look fake

Of course they don't like their hair, isn't it obvious? If you like you natural hair, I see no reason why you should wear series fake weave. Once the one they're wearing begins to look old, they go get another one.

To be honest with you, I can't stand weaves, I've had girlfriends and relatives who fix that thing, and they all know how I feel about it. You want to wear fake weaves like drag queen, fine but don't ask me about it, expect no compliments from me and don't tell me anything about it as I don't want to hear.

Nothing more off putting like trying to run your hands through a woman's hair & she says no! no!! no!!! I had this fake hair fixed today, the funniest part is they care for the hair like it's their own, they buy these nets and at night wrap it up with the net. In the morning they comb the hair and id be like wtf is this?

I want to be able to run my fingers through a woman's natural hair. You can run your fingers through an Asian, Caucasian, Middle Eastern woman's hair and you will feel right down to the scalp but that of a black woman, you feel tight knots and ropes used to affix the fake hair. So annoying

3 Likes

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ladystewie: I don't think it's anyone's business what a lady decides to do with her money
It's also foolish to suggest that it's low self-esteem
And to say black women have 'impoverished intellect'?
Oya, come and 'feed' our intellect
So that we would know better

No everything you do is everybody's business,else you wouldnt even be on this forum displaying your stark Ignorance,if you think nobody matters.
And yes,black women dont wear fake hair to compliment their natural hair like white women do,rather you all do it to look like the white women's hair ,whom you worship.
You might have all the intelligence in the world but that doesnt change the deep rooted insecurity in you.

Take the fake hair of, black woman and stop twisting your fake hair like its original.

2 Likes

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 12, 2014
smiley

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Aug 12, 2014
To put in perspective, $7bn = N1.1 trillion
Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:51pm On Aug 12, 2014
50calibre:

Of course they don't like their hair, isn't it obvious? If you like you natural hair, I see no reason why you should wear series fake weave. Once the one they're wearing begins to look old, they go get another one.

To be honest with you, I can't stand weaves, I've had girlfriends and relatives who fix that thing, and they all know how I feel about it. You want to wear fake weaves like drag queen, fine but don't ask me about it, expect no compliments from me and tell me anything about it as I don't want to hear.

Nothing more off putting like trying to run your hands through a woman's hair & she says no! no!! no!!! I had this fake hair fixed today, the funniest part is they care for the hair like it's their own, they buy these nets and at night wrap it up with the net. In the morning they comb the hair and id be like wtf is this?

I want to be able to run my fingers through a woman's natural hair. You can run your fingers through an Asian, Caucasian, Middle Eastern woman's hair and you will feel right down to the scalp but that of a black woman, you feel tight knots and ropes used to affix the fake hair. So annoying

Sup,hommie....Dejavu,init?
Hang around lets feed these embarrassment of women the truth they hate to hear.
Which is that black woman hate her hair and will anything humanly possible just to dorn the white woman's hair and only then and then does her confidence returns.

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
lol
okay personally, you don't like weaves
you like your woman natural
but do you know it's not easy to care for natural nappy hair?
it gets tangled and it's not easy to comb
that's why most women use weaves anyway
for variety
50calibre:

To be honest with you, I can't stand weaves, I've had girlfriends and relatives who fix that thing, and they all know how I feel about it. You want to wear fake weaves like drag queen, fine but don't ask me about it, expect no compliments from me and tell me anything about it as I don't want to hear.

2 Likes

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by 50calibre(m): 9:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
uzolexis:

Do you know that some white women with straight hair want to have curly kinky hair like black women. I keep my natural hair and some of my white friends are so envious cause i can change my hairstyle anytime and do a lot of stuffs with my hair which theirs cant do and some of them are chemically treating their hair to make it a bit curly n kinky. Would you say they are insecure tooo........ but when it's a black woman y'all will be shouting insecurity......abeg give us a break jor. angry angry

Lol the usual argument, I was wondering when you'd bring that up.

There are also insecure white women, but what we have to consider here is numbers. The number of white women who desire a black woman's curly type of hair, is nothing compared to the number of black women who desire a straight Caucasian type of hair.

Take into account that white women who desire these curly hair, vary their hair whereas black women stick to weaves come rain come sunshine.

I can confidently say more than 90% of black women fix fake hair, that's not just a one off, it's an epidemic.

Kudos for keeping your natural hair, you should spread the word.

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
ok
next...
OdenigboAroli:

No everything you do is everybody's business,else you wouldnt even be on this forum displaying your stark Ignorance,if you think nobody matters.
And yes,black women dont wear fake hair to compliment their natural hair like white women do,rather you all do it to look like the white women's hair ,whom you worship.
You might have all the intelligence in the world but that doesnt change the deep rooted insecurity in you.

Take the fake hair of, black woman and stop twisting your fake hair like its original.
Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by nanhilicious(f): 9:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
uote author=OdenigboAroli]

Another excuse to cover up her deep seated insecurity and lack of self worth.[/quote]I won't dignify your careless statement with an answer... M too well brought up and classy to do that ODEnigbo cheesy kiss

3 Likes

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by uzolexis(f): 9:58pm On Aug 12, 2014
50calibre:

Lol the usual argument, I was wondering when you'd bring that up.

There are also insecure white women, but what we have to consider her is numbers. The number of white women who desire a black woman's curly type of hair, is nothing compared to the number of black women who desire a straight Caucasian type of hair.

Take into account that white women who desire these curly hair, vary their hair whereas black women stick to weaves come rain come sunshine.

I can confidently say more than 90% of black women fix fake hair, that's not just a one off, it's an epidemic.

Kudos for keeping your natural hair, you should spread the word.

Weaves are way easier to care for than natural kinky hair,it's a lot of work to care for our african kinky hair and some women dont just have that time. I do a lot with my hair,i braid,i wear weaves,i keep my fro and leave it kinky,i experiment with my hair a lot. i love the versatility and different looks it gives me. that does not mk me insecure.

In the end we are all entitled to our opinions. I dont see fixing of weaves as a sign of insecurity,you think otherwise but that's fine.

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by 50calibre(m): 10:02pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ladystewie: lol
okay personally, you don't like weaves
you like your woman natural
but do you know it's not easy to care for natural nappy hair?
it gets tangled and it's not easy to comb
that's why most women use weaves anyway
for variety

Lol most women don't use weaves for variety, weave is all they use.

I like a black woman working with her natural hair. I don't care what style you work it into, I just need it looking natural.

1 Like

Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by 50calibre(m): 10:04pm On Aug 12, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Sup,hommie....Dejavu,init?
Hang around lets feed these embarrassment of women the truth they hate to hear.
Which is that black woman hate her hair and will anything humanly possible just to dorn the white woman's hair and only then and then does her confidence returns.

Hahaha nice one

Lets feed them the hard truth.
Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 12, 2014
__
Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Johnnoo(m): 10:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
I'm not surprised...Coconut heads undecided
Re: African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. by Nobody: 10:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
__

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Beautiful Singer Waje Celebrates Her Easter With Astonishing Pictures / I Want My Hair Turned Back To Natural. Urgent Advice On Procedure. / Makeup Tutorials....step Up Your Make Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.