Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,704 members, 7,805,891 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

World Epidemic, Tipping Point, And Ebola - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World Epidemic, Tipping Point, And Ebola (649 Views)

Epidemic Blindness In Yobe!! / Tobacco, Zmapp And Ebola / Vitamin C And Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Epidemic, Tipping Point, And Ebola by esere826: 1:27pm On Aug 08, 2014
Sadly, we're in an Ebola season
typical of me, i'll apply myself to the situation and create narratives that are informative and can be consumed as the reader deems fit

Today I remembered the book called tipping point (written by Gladwell) that I read some years ago
it sets out a theory behind the spread of epidemics such as HIV/AIDS and innovations that have shaken the world
I advice you read it
Re: World Epidemic, Tipping Point, And Ebola by esere826: 1:36pm On Aug 08, 2014
Let's start our small lesson

Imagine that 10 years ago there was a deadly STD contained only in Yobe state, with only a few 100's of people catching it
then suddenly 2 yrs ago there was an epidemic of the same STD in the whole of Nigeria, with millions of people getting infected

Gladwell provides an interesting theory to explain how this could have happened. It would go something like this:
Re: World Epidemic, Tipping Point, And Ebola by esere826: 1:46pm On Aug 08, 2014
A se.xually promiscous corper called Mandigo was posted from lagos state to Yobe state
He had se.x with 2 infected people in Yobe, and at the end of his service year travelled back to Lagos

On his way back to Lagos he stopped by in 10 brothels in transit states, and infected 10 girls there
When he got to Lagos, within 4 months, he had slept with 20 runs girls, 5 official ashies and 3 of his girlfriends and infected all of them them with the STD

He dumped two of his girlfriends who went on to have new boyfriends
one a musician who lives in Calabar and the other who lives in Kano
-both guys are also very promiscous

The runs girls went on to infect their boyfriends and politicians
the ashis went on to infect the tipper drivers and armed robbers that patronize them

.......with this narrative, I bet you can easilly visualize how the infection would have spread from 100 to a million people in 2 years
especially if their country is a none caring one

..TBC
Re: World Epidemic, Tipping Point, And Ebola by esere826: 1:56pm On Aug 08, 2014
Now that we have an idea of what the tipping point is all about
I'll share my concerns

There are some 6 countries that I believe would be in the UN watch list because they are the biggest threats to the initiation of the epidemic worlwide:
They include:
1 Nigeria
2 India
3 US & UK
4 Saudi Arabia
5 South Africa

NIGERIA
We have a huge population that can be a breeding ground for the Ebola virus especially with our porr health care. Plus we travel alot, and are in almost every country in the world.

INDIA
Chares the same attributes as Nigeria
Re: World Epidemic, Tipping Point, And Ebola by esere826: 2:02pm On Aug 08, 2014
US AND UK
These countries are a major tourist destination receiving milions of visitors yearly. This means they can potentially easilly recive 100's of infected cases. Thankfully, they have good healthcare facilities

SOUTH AFRICA
This is a melting point of Africans and other races and a popular tourist destination. The mixing of races here provides an opportunity for cross racial infection

SAUDI ARABIA
Receives millions of pilgrims yearly to Mecca who move together in close proximity when carryoing out their religious rites. This is a potential hotspot
Re: World Epidemic, Tipping Point, And Ebola by esere826: 2:07pm On Aug 08, 2014
In conclusion

There is a strong likelihood that if the Ebola Virus spreads further in Nigeria
Countries who understand the threat the size and mobility of Nigerians pose will be hostile towards Nigerians

(1) (Reply)

Fear Of Ebola: See Air Hostesses On A West African Flight / 6 Simple Tips To Help You Lose Belly Fat / Ebola: Japan Offers Drug, Nigerian Patient To Be Discharged

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.