Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,166 members, 7,780,182 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:34 AM

Is Abuja a northern state? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Abuja a northern state? (11832 Views)

Is This A Beauty Contest? - Northern Girls / History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) / Pictures, Slight And Sound Of Northern Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Abuja a northern state? by Ifygurl: 10:31pm On Oct 18, 2008
According to some people in this website, they claim Abuja is a northern state but Abuja is in the center of Nigeria.
Meaning it really doesn't belong to neither regions(South or North) so why do nigerians call it a Northern state?

Did we classify it as one? I just want to know.
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by bawomolo(m): 10:47pm On Oct 18, 2008
it's in the middle-belt, middle-belt is typically considered northern.
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by shotster50(m): 1:00am On Oct 19, 2008
It is in the middle belt. It not considered but rather erronously confused as a northern state.

1 Like

Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by Gamine(f): 1:29am On Oct 19, 2008
FCT is middle belt. Abuja is in d north. It hs similar terrain n climate of Niger, Nassarawa n major parts of KD
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by Sammy107d(m): 4:59am On Oct 19, 2008
Abuja is not even a state.

2 Likes

Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by Ifygurl: 5:15am On Oct 19, 2008
Sammy107_d:

Abuja is not even a state.

It's not. shocked i thought it was. embarassed
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by Sammy107d(m): 5:19am On Oct 19, 2008
smiley yea there's abuja the FCT with a federal government appointed minister presiding over it, and 36 other states.
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by BabyJinx: 5:28am On Oct 19, 2008
History
The land now called Abuja was originally the south-western part of the ancient Habe (Hausa) kingdom of Zazzau (Zaria). It was populated fore centuries by several semi-independent tribes. The largest of the tribes was Gbagyi (Gwari), followed by the Koro and a few other smaller tribes. In early 1800s when Zaria fell to Fulani invaders, Muhammed Makau, fled south with some followers and his brothers- Abu Ja and Kwaka. Abu Ja succeeded Makau in 1825.

The full name of the king was Abubakar; Abu was his nickname. By some accounts his fair complexion earned him the nickname Ja which means red or fair-skinned in Hausa. He became known as Abu-Ja meaning Abu the red or Abubakar the fair one, other sources say that the Ja is a shortened form of Ishaku Jatau, his father's name.

King Abubakar founded the kingdom of Abuja.
Abuja became a major commercial centre where goods were exchanged by long distance traders. The inhabitants successfully fought off the Fulani and were not conquered as the neighbouring lands were.

In 1902, Abuja was occupied by the British colonial army. The British re organised the kingdoms and called them emirates which means kingdom in Arabic. Until 1975, it remained a quiet part of Nigeria.

The problems associated with the capital being in Lagos, as mentioned earlier, led to the search for a new capital that year. Abuja was selected from amongst 33 possible sites. The criteria used for selection included: centrality, healthy, climate, land availability and use, water supply, multi-access possibilities, security , existence of resources, drainage, good soil, physical planning convenience and ethnic accord.

The Emir of Abuja at the time, Altai Suleiman Bara, was asked to meet with his Emirate Council to approve contributing four of the five districts to Abuja to become the new capital. The council was divided as some districts considered it too much of a sacrifice; but at the end, they approved the request from the Federal Government. Thus, the Abuja in Niger State contributed 80% of the land of the territory, Plateau State (Now Nassarawa State) contributed 16 percent of the South east territory and Kwara State (now Kogi State) contributed about four percent of the south-west territory.

The Emirate was then asked to give up the Abuja for the Federal Capital Territory. Again the council was divided. In the end, they agreed believing that the name of the emirate would become famous throughout the world. The previous town of Abuja was renamed Suleja after the then Emir of Suleiman Barau and Ja the last syllable of the first emir name.

Another interesting historical fact is that in the Gbagyi (or Gwan) language, the word Aso means success or victory. According to tradition, the original inhabitants of the region lived at the base of the rock for centuries without being conquered. The rock was a refuge as well as mystical source strength. Asoro (Aso Koro) the name of the one of the local areas, therefore, means people of victory. In addition, the term Aso Rock is increasingly being used to refer not only to the physical structure of the most imposing rock in the area, but also as a symbol of government power and a nation.

http://www.abujacity.com/blog

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by Sammy107d(m): 5:31am On Oct 19, 2008
ok tnx. iv always wondered how they came up wit that land. good stuff
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by ikeyman00(m): 11:29am On Oct 19, 2008
abuja is a nigerian asset!! if na lie ask niger-delta

lagos for igbo people! lipsrsealed
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by MCUsman(m): 11:59am On Oct 19, 2008
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh undecided undecided
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by ikeyman00(m): 12:10pm On Oct 19, 2008
pls MCusman waiting for your decision
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by MCUsman(m): 3:19pm On Oct 19, 2008
ikeyman00:

please MCusman waiting for your decision

notting oh just thinking
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 19, 2008
Abuja is a northern city, just as Lagos is a yoruba/south-western city. We are talking about origin here pls, so don't tell me Nigerian money is used to develop Lagos or Abuja. The fact still remains an Ibo or Hausa man cannot say he wants to be the Oba of Lagos.
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by ikeyman00(m): 4:51pm On Oct 19, 2008
Re: Is Abuja a northern state?
« #13 on: Today at 04:40:42 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abuja is a northern city, just as Lagos is a yoruba/south-western city. We are talking about origin here please, so don't tell me Nigerian money is used to develop Lagos or Abuja. The fact still remains an Ibo or Hausa man cannot say he wants to be the Oba of Lagos

usman there u have it? i rest my case

loudieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

LAGOS AND ABUJA Is nigerian asset shikena!!! funded by nigerian money yes sir!! get that in your head!!
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 20, 2008
ikeyman00:

usman there u have it? i rest my case

loudieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

LAGOS AND ABUJA Is nigerian asset shikena!!! funded by nigerian money yes sir!! get that in your head!!

Take it or leave it, Lagos is Yoruba while Abuja is Hausa(that is if we say north=hausa, as is commonly used)
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by skywalk: 9:15pm On Oct 20, 2008
Abuja is not HAUSA, nd has never been. Too much generalising going on in NL.

1 Like

Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by ikeyman00(m): 12:09am On Oct 21, 2008
Take it or leave it, Lagos is Yoruba while Abuja is Hausa(that is if we say north=hausa, as is commonly used)

keep fooling yourself
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by Godalone(m): 3:31pm On Oct 22, 2008
Abuja is in North-Central.
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by dgratrock: 11:23am On Nov 04, 2008
hmmmmm, politically abuja is northern nigerian, but i believe that geographically, it should be middle belt. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by DisGuy: 11:52am On Nov 04, 2008
dgratrock:

hmmmmm, politically abuja is northern nigerian, but i believe that geographically, it should be middle belt. undecided

dang! i was just about to say that!
Abuja is dead in the middle of nigeria geographically!!

1 Like

Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 04, 2008
The question is: Is Abuja a northern state?
The answer is yes if we divide Nigeria into North and South as is common.We often talk of North-South dichotomy.

The other respect is dividing Nigeria into North(loosely to mean Hausa), West(loosely to mean Yoruba)and East(loosely to mean Igbo), Abuja still comes under the North here.

If we now use the six geopolitical classification, Abuja is in North-Central. North already appearing in the classification.No further discussion
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by iice(f): 10:13am On Nov 08, 2008
I always considered it middle belt, probably because i grew up around that area. undecided
Shouldn't it be a state for all hence the FCT? undecided
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by nky1978: 10:34pm On Jun 11, 2017
Abuja is not north ask history

Jarus:

Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by nky1978: 10:37pm On Jun 11, 2017
Who will call ibadan lagos? Because for the simple fact that Kaduna is close to abuja doesn't mean its the north,
abuja belongs to the gwari people!

Jarus:
The question is: Is Abuja a northern state?
The answer is yes if we divide Nigeria into North and South as is common.We often talk of North-South dichotomy.

The other respect is dividing Nigeria into North(loosely to mean Hausa), West(loosely to mean Yoruba)and East(loosely to mean Igbo), Abuja still comes under the North here.

If we now use the six geopolitical classification, Abuja is in North-Central. North already appearing in the classification.No further discussion
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by JoeEbiliekwe24: 10:39pm On Jun 11, 2017
Is the FCT even a state to begin with?
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by nky1978: 10:43pm On Jun 11, 2017
iice:
I always considered it middle belt, probably because i grew up around that area. undecided
Shouldn't it be a state for all hence the FCT? undecided

Who will call ibadan lagos? Because for the simple fact that Kaduna is close to abuja doesn't mean its the north,
Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by nky1978: 10:44pm On Jun 11, 2017
nky1978:

Re: Is Abuja a northern state? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 12, 2017
Ifygurl:
According to some people in this website, they claim Abuja is a northern state but Abuja is in the center of Nigeria.
Meaning it really doesn't belong to neither regions(South or North) so why do nigerians call it a Northern state?

Did we classify it as one? I just want to know.
Abuja is not a state. Its official designation is Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja. That is why it has an appointed minister, not an elected governor. So, it is not a Northern state, but a Federal Capital Territory of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help Translate This Yoruba Word To English / Indian Culture / PHOTOS: Emir Of Kano, El Rufai Attend 60th Anniversary Of Kaduna Capital School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.