Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,354 members, 7,800,708 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Fast Spoken Languages In Nigeria. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Fast Spoken Languages In Nigeria. (1222 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fast Spoken Languages In Nigeria. by humnsikan: 2:14pm On Aug 10, 2014
By "fast", I'm referring to the speech rate or speed, as would be judged by a non-speaker of such language.
Sometimes you wonder if they are really talking or merely rolling their tongues a thousand times. To me, I think they come in this order:

(4) Igbo
(3) Hausa
(2)Yoruba
(1) Efik/Ibibio

What do you think?
Re: Fast Spoken Languages In Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 10, 2014
Objection my lord,no where in this country Yoruba language isn't spoken and understood prior to some other ethnic group of people who have been to lagos to hustle and relocated back to their village,after english(pidgin) comes yoruba.
Re: Fast Spoken Languages In Nigeria. by humnsikan: 3:39pm On Aug 10, 2014
aaronson: Objection my lord,no where in this country Yoruba language isn't spoken and understood prior to some other ethnic group of people who have been to lagos to hustle and relocated back to their village,after english(pidgin) comes yoruba.
Maybe you didn't me, I was refering to the speech rate: how fast or how slow speakers of each sound.
Re: Fast Spoken Languages In Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 10, 2014
humnsikan:
Maybe you didn't me, I was refering to the speech rate: how fast or how slow speakers of each sound.
speed and slow doesn't matter in language joooor,the only phenomenon in which the speed of verbal speech is appreciated and important is rap song.
Re: Fast Spoken Languages In Nigeria. by humnsikan: 6:55pm On Aug 10, 2014
aaronson: speed and slow doesn't matter in language joooor,the only phenomenon in which the speed of verbal speech is appreciated and important is rap song.

It does matter; atleast, it's easier to learn the slow-paced ones. Wonder why it's easier for someone who's only learned english and Russian for a month to understand native russian speakers better their english counterparts? The speed at which english is spoken is 4x that of russian. This research was done on international languages, so I thought we could replicate it on our own languages.
Re: Fast Spoken Languages In Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 10, 2014
humnsikan:

It does matter; atleast, it's easier to learn the slow-paced ones. Wonder why it's easier for someone who's only learned english and Russian for a month to understand native russian speakers better their english counterparts? The speed at which english is spoken is 4x that of russian. This research was done on international languages, so I thought we could replicate it on our own languages.
irrelevant
Re: Fast Spoken Languages In Nigeria. by humnsikan: 1:03am On Aug 11, 2014
aaronson: irrelevant

To you.

(1) (Reply)

Top Ten False Friends In Swedish / I Just Feel Like Sharing This. Yoruba-fulani From Illorin. / Provide The English Equivalent Of These Pidgin Statements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.