Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

How To Prevent Your Wordpress Blog From Being Hacked - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Prevent Your Wordpress Blog From Being Hacked (802 Views)

How To Post To Your Blog From A Java Phone Or Blackberry / Checklist For Starting A Successful Blog From Scratch / 7 Basic Steps On How To Blog From Your Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Prevent Your Wordpress Blog From Being Hacked by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 10, 2014
This days I've been watching from the sidelines and been seeing people talk about their blog hacked and besides the recent loophole found in WordPress ,So am just going to drive home my points straight off.

1.) Change your username --- Why would you be so lazy to leave yours as "admin" ? every of those "cowboy hackers" types the word "admin" into every login page....
some quick install service might not require you to change your name and password while installing WordPress (instead they have it mailed to you),in the case,login and simply add a new user,and set it's role as "administrator"...

2.) Strong Password ---- A strong password is one that contains Uppercase,lowercase letters;Symbols And Digits.... Something like JreGZISA*FAGot1+2=3

3.) Update your WordPress version and plugins --- I really don't need to stick my pen in here...

4.)Backup, Backup,Backup And Have More Backups --- Don't tell me premium backup plugins are expensive, well if they are,Google is your friend, it has tons of D-I-Y tutorials on backing up your WordPress

5.) Use Google webmaster tools and the free security check at sucuri's site

6.) edit your htacess

7.) Download themes from WordPress's repository only

8..) Guard Brute Attacks with plugins like limit login Attempt or Login LockDown --- no one needs to tell you to be extremely strict when "checking" your options

9.) Make sure you are with a reliable host

10) Change your cpanel."logins" and any other thing that requires a password..

11.) Delete Softwares on an "add-on.domain" you aren't using again from your cpanel --- why ..? if you aren't updating it,it might just serve as a Backdoor to get your WordPress hacked...

12..) Consider Going Premium..

Do have a nice day

1 Like

Re: How To Prevent Your Wordpress Blog From Being Hacked by hushmail: 7:20pm On Aug 10, 2014
@ op

thanks for the update

though dont really have a functioning wordpress

mine is still at the construction stage
Re: How To Prevent Your Wordpress Blog From Being Hacked by Nobody: 4:50am On Aug 11, 2014
hushmail: @ op

thanks for the update

though dont really have a functioning wordpress

mine is still at the construction stage
I hope the tut. comes handy when you finally launch your WordPress site...
Re: How To Prevent Your Wordpress Blog From Being Hacked by Nobody: 10:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
you talk about updating wordpress plugin version. you might loose some modification on you site if you do so.
Re: How To Prevent Your Wordpress Blog From Being Hacked by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 13, 2014
slicreports: you talk about updating wordpress plugin version. you might loose some modification on you site if you do so.

updating your WordPress is one of the best ways to stay hack-free...

modifications? as in your site's design ? always use a child theme so you can always have your current design rather than lose it to an "update" https://wordpress.org/plugins/one-click-child-theme

(1) (Reply)

Own A Website For Just 10k Call 08172100791 / I Need Help On Site Review / Facebook Fanpage For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.