Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass (3430 Views)

Sunday Mba Vows To Shame Critics / Sunday Mba Seeks Dream Europe Move / Tiger Wood: From Grace To Grass (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by Allohrandy(m): 3:07am On Aug 11, 2014
On February 3, 2013, Nigeria's Super Eagles faced pre-tournament favourites, the Ivory Coast in the quarterfinals of the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon).

It was supposed to be Nigeria's last game of the competition as the Ivorians were supposed to progress to the semifinals at the expense of the Super Eagles at a canter.

It did not quite go according to script as the Super Eagles won a thrilling contest 2-1 at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium, Rustenburg.

The hero on the day was unheralded midfielder, Sunday Mba who struck the winner, a stupendous long range effort, in the 78th minute.

In an instant, Mba became a cult hero. He was also impressive in Nigeria's comfortable 4-1 semifinal win over Mali.

Mba then cemented his place in Nigerian football folklore when he hit the winner in the final against Burkina Faso as the Super Eagles won the Afcon for the first time since 1994.

Mba suffered after the Afcon. A long drawn transfer tussle between two Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) clubs, Enugu Rangers and Warri Wolves meant an expected move to Europe did not materialize in the summer of the 2013/14 season.

He hardly played competitively until January 2014 when he joined CA Bastia in France's second division.

It was a move that raised more than a few eyebrows as many expected the 25-year-old to join one of the top hitters in Europe.

He explained the rationale behind the switch to the unfashionable club in a typically candid chat with supersport.com in February.

"I will be lying if I said I did not hear some disparaging remarks from people who questioned the wisdom of the move to a club in the second division.

"The truth is the 2014 World Cup is around the corner and I need to be playing regularly. I could have easily moved to a bigger club and earned more money but I would not have been playing regularly.

"As a professional footballer, you need to be extremely careful when you make decisions about your career," he said.

Mba scored four league goals in 16 appearances but failed to prevent Bastia's relegation from Ligue 2 (second division) to the National (third division).

World Cup heart break

Mba's form before the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil was pretty impressive and he was duly invited to the team's training camp.

After making the provisional list, it was widely believed that his inclusion into the final 23-man list was a shoo-in.

It was not. Nigeria's head coach stunned most when he announced his list and Mba's name was conspicuously missing.

Mba arrived late to camp because he had issues with some of his travel documents and that combined with his attitude to training sealed his fate, according to Keshi.

“His lateness to camp contributed (to his missing out) but outside that he did not show the hunger, the fight, we expected for him.

"We have only two and half weeks to prepare for the World Cup and he was not giving us what we wanted. He was very relaxed and it was unlike him,” Keshi said.

The unthinkable happens

Mba watched the 2014 World Cup on television but said he had no hard feelings about missing the tournament.

“I had no negative thoughts as I always respect the decision of my coaches and I knew the country is blessed with so many good players.

"It was impossible for everyone to go (to Brazil),” he told supersport.com from his base in France in July.

At the time, he had resumed pre-season with Bastia but it was expected that he would soon leave the club for pastures new.

However, on Friday, the unthinkable happened. Mba played a game in the third division in France.

He was drafted in as a second half substitute as Bastia drew 0-0 with Paris Football Club at Stade Sébastien Charléty.

It was beyond shocking to see the extravagantly gifted midfielder playing for just 19 minutes in front of a sparse crowd of 335 spectators.

Mba was at the peak of his powers, feted as the best thing that happened to Nigerian football and viewed as the new golden boy just over a year ago.

His fall from grace is almost unbelievable to say the least but he will be looking to rise like a Phoenix from the ashes.

The transfer window closes on August 31. Mba has got 21 days to get back on track.

culled from: © supersport.com

Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by Nobody: 6:38am On Aug 11, 2014
Mba was a great player in AFCON 2013, I wish him all the best sha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He truly deserve better than bastia but nigeria players and "pride" "lackluster" and I don't care attitude will always kill their carrier before it starts remember Obagoal, ogbeche, keita, and now moses.

Best of luck guy
Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by bigtt76(f): 6:51am On Aug 11, 2014
@Bolded ....like seriously? grin

famousdee: Mba was a great player in AFCON 2015, I wish him all the best sha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He truly deserve better than bastia but nigeria players and "pride" "lackluster" and I don't care attitude will always kill their carrier before it starts remember Obagoal, ogbeche, keita, and now moses.

Best of luck guy
Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 11, 2014
LOOOOLLLL grin grin grin nah mistake u dey find up and down this early morning grin cheesy

bigtt76: @Bolded ....like seriously? grin

Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by kris(m): 7:51am On Aug 11, 2014
famousdee: LOOOOLLLL grin grin grin nah mistake u dey find up and down this early morning grin cheesy

Person no need to find that one na! It's there and clear, no need to find am o! You dey in the future already my guy. lol
Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by bigtt76(f): 9:19am On Aug 11, 2014
Nooo naaa grin it was funny shaaaa wink

famousdee: LOOOOLLLL grin grin grin nah mistake u dey find up and down this early morning grin cheesy

Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by tuffgongjo(m): 1:09pm On Aug 11, 2014
When I told a friend of mine that his going to the lower league may end up as a disaster,he said NO,now his coming to the big league is now 5percent
Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by iconize(m): 4:33pm On Aug 11, 2014
I think Sunday mba's problems are rather spiritual.
Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 11, 2014
He needs to go back to Nigerian league at the earliest opportunity
Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by tobiboss(m): 10:14pm On Aug 11, 2014
Oh my, what a fall!!! I see same thing happening to Ideye, Mba left a bigger club enugu rangers for bastia, what was he thinking
Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by HAH: 11:23pm On Aug 11, 2014
If I were him I would have stayed in Rangers till after the world cup then make my big move.

Anyhow wish him luck.
Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by Ajibel(m): 11:31am On Aug 12, 2014
Tow the path of Sani Kaita and return the NPFL. You're already known and fellow players would accord u respect. Better still go to PSL and join Uzoenyi.

Pride wont let him sad
Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:17pm On Aug 12, 2014
Mba was never an extraordinary player as such...
Stop grieving jare...
Re: Sunday Mba: A Story From Grace To Grass by HAH: 12:29pm On Aug 12, 2014
Ajibel: Tow the path of Sani Kaita and return the NPFL. You're already known and fellow players would accord u respect. Better still go to PSL and join Uzoenyi.

Pride wont let him sad

Good advice . Honestly to me PSL is better than french 2nd division and NPFL is better than (heir 3rd division

(1) (Reply)

AM Given Out My Football Winning Strategie E-BOOK for Free.nairabet,1960bet / #uclfinal: Juventus Vs Bacerlona Today At 7:45pm / Football Trial Application Forms Now Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.