Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

'made In Nigeria' Cars: Where's The Discount?! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'made In Nigeria' Cars: Where's The Discount?! (1069 Views)

Inside Made In Nigeria Cars / Innoson Unveils First ‘made-in-nigeria’ Cars (pics) / Innoson Rolls Out 500 Made In Nigeria Cars Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'made In Nigeria' Cars: Where's The Discount?! by texazzpete(m): 10:58pm On Aug 11, 2014
I just read this topic

https://www.nairaland.com/1852075/made-in-nigeria-hyundai-cars-hit-market

Basically, Stallion motors is claiming that their first range of made in Naija cars are available for sale. Starting at N1.6 million for the Hyundai i10.

Now, we all know the local manufacturers are seriously encouraged with steep discounts in import duties, tax rebates etc. And one of the oft repeated claims of the Administration is that locally made cars will naturally be more affordable as cost savings will be passed on to the consumer.

So why is the locally assembled i10 sold for just 200k less* than the imported Kia Picanto, which is a superior vehicle to the i10 in every way?

I'm tired of this subterfuge. Let's see complete price regimes for the vehicles they've told us have been rolling off the assembly lines. A month ago, they said the first Nissan Patrol cars were rolling off the assembly lines. Why haven't we heard anything about the prices yet?

*Kia motors Facebook account has the Picanto on sale starting at N1.8 million.
Re: 'made In Nigeria' Cars: Where's The Discount?! by Nobody: 12:04am On Aug 12, 2014
angry
Re: 'made In Nigeria' Cars: Where's The Discount?! by Nobody: 3:32am On Aug 12, 2014
texazzpete:
So why is the locally assembled i10 sold for just 200k less* than the imported Kia Picanto, which is a superior vehicle to the i10 in every way?
I'm tired of this subterfuge.
*Kia motors Facebook account has the Picanto on sale starting at N1.8 million.

Picanto is not superior to the i10. It's actually the other way round.. That is if the parts that make up the assembled i10's are same as the imported ones by stallion.
With 200k less in price, then it's a better deal than the Kia.

Verdict (not my opinion)

With so much in common, there’s little to choose between these two models – but the flagship versions highlight major differences. The new Picanto is a big improvement over its predecessor; distinctive looks and a high-quality cabin make it a real force to be reckoned with in the city car class again. It also comes loaded with big-car kit, albeit at a hefty price – for the cost of the top-spec Picanto 3, you could buy a bona fide supermini instead. In contrast, the Hyundai plays to its strengths, mixing a spacious and well appointed interior with strong performance, tidy handling and very attractive prices. As a result, the i10 pulls off a narrow win, but the margin of victory is small. Lesser versions of the two cars are even more closely matched – and, on this evidence, buyers won’t feel disappointed by either of our contenders.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/14440/kia-picanto-vs-hyundai-i10#ixzz3A8ndHOBr

If you’re willing to spend a little more, the Hyundai i10 is the better option. Not only does it trump the Picanto on engine performance, but it wins out in terms of build quality and manoeuvrability.

http://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/Hyundai-i10-vs-Kia-Picanto-937
Re: 'made In Nigeria' Cars: Where's The Discount?! by texazzpete(m): 6:18am On Aug 12, 2014
saxywale:
Picanto is not superior to the i10. It's actually the other way round.. That is if the parts that make up the assembled i10's are same as the imported ones by stallion.
With 200k less in price, then it's a better deal than the Kia.
Verdict (not my opinion)
With so much in common, there’s little to choose between these two models – but the flagship versions highlight major differences. The new Picanto is a big improvement over its predecessor; distinctive looks and a high-quality cabin make it a real force to be reckoned with in the city car class again. It also comes loaded with big-car kit, albeit at a hefty price – for the cost of the top-spec Picanto 3, you could buy a bona fide supermini instead. In contrast, the Hyundai plays to its strengths, mixing a spacious and well appointed interior with strong performance, tidy handling and very attractive prices. As a result, the i10 pulls off a narrow win, but the margin of victory is small. Lesser versions of the two cars are even more closely matched – and, on this evidence, buyers won’t feel disappointed by either of our contenders.
Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/14440/kia-picanto-vs-hyundai-i10#ixzz3A8ndHOBr
If you’re willing to spend a little more, the Hyundai i10 is the better option. Not only does it trump the Picanto on engine performance, but it wins out in terms of build quality and manoeuvrability.
http://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/Hyundai-i10-vs-Kia-Picanto-937

Hmm. Reviews seem to vary, but you're right, the Hyundai seems evenly matched in price with the Picanto.

Still, my concerns remain on the discount provided. 200k difference with an imported car that's usually in the same price range doesn't seem that big... And I'm pretty sure 1.6 million naira is right about the same price range the i10 has always been sold at.

I'll look further into this.

(1) (Reply)

Nyako’s Replacement: Ribadu Gets Presidency’s Backing To Dump APC For PDP / Nigeria Belongs To The North. Southerners Will Only Give The Weakest Candidate / COMFAB: Delegates Propose New Map Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.