Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Watch Race & See Photos Of Blessing Okagbare Winning 100m African Title! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Watch Race & See Photos Of Blessing Okagbare Winning 100m African Title! (1209 Views)

Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title / Blessing Okagbare's White Wedding Photos With Hubby, Igho Otegheri / US Embassy Ruins Blessing Okagbare’s Honeymoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Watch Race & See Photos Of Blessing Okagbare Winning 100m African Title! by bambostic: 10:35am On Aug 12, 2014
For more, including photos, see here >>> http://makingofchampions.net/2014/08/12/blessing-okagbare-beats-murielle-ahoure-to-claim-100m-african-title/

Only GOLD is good enough for Nigeria’s sprint queen, Blessing Okagbare and the reigning Commonwealth Double Sprint Champion added one more precious metal to her kitty as she clocked 11 seconds flat to beat fierce rival, Murielle Ahouré in the women’s 100m on Day Two of the African Athletics Championships in Marrakech, Morocco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IA3f14Aet8

The race, which was one of the highlights at the Grande De Stade in Marrakech, was a close one but Okagbare’s longer strides came in handy as she pulled through just ahead of Ahouré and another Ivorian Marie Ta Lou Gonezie won Silver and Bronze with 11.03s and 11.20s respectively. Okagbare thus regained her African crown that she lost to Gabon’s Ruddy Zang Milama in the last edition of the championships held in Port Novo in 2012.

The Moscow 2013 double medallist has been in brilliant form in the build up to the championships, going by her exploits at the Commonwealth Games where she posted an outstanding performance, winning the 100m with a scorching 10.85s, and then adding the 200m gold in 22.25s just three days later. Speaking with journalists after winning this latest African title, Okagbare revealed that following her Commonwealth Double she had to push hard for the win in Marrakech:

“I am very happy to have won the title because I just wanted to win for my fans and do my country proud. Just coming straight from the Commonwealth Games, my body is tired, but my coach told me to just focus and execute the race, which was what I did."

“Of course the competition was stiffer at the Commonwealth Games, but that is not to take anything away from Murielle Ahoure. She is a great athlete. It was good that we had three Nigerians in the final – I am hoping that we can have this kind of representation on a bigger platform, like the World Championships and the Olympics.”

Her Nigerian teammates, Gloria Asumnu and Lawreta Ozoh finished 4th and 7th respectively with 11.49s and 11.74s. Okagbare’s medal is Nigeria’s first GOLD at these championships, elevating Nigeria to 3rd on the medals table with one GOLD, one Silver and three Bronze medals. South Africa occupy top spot with four GOLD, three Silver and one Bronze medal, followed by Cote d’Ivoire with one GOLD, two Silver and a Bronze medal.
Re: Watch Race & See Photos Of Blessing Okagbare Winning 100m African Title! by bambostic: 3:06pm On Aug 12, 2014
smiley
Re: Watch Race & See Photos Of Blessing Okagbare Winning 100m African Title! by Millate01: 3:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
Re: Watch Race & See Photos Of Blessing Okagbare Winning 100m African Title! by bambostic: 3:43pm On Aug 12, 2014

(1) (Reply)

UEFA President, Platini Set To Introduce White Card & Increase Substitution To 5 / Football Players As Vehicles(pictures) / Super Eagle Head Coach Stephen Keshi Confirms Burkina-faso's Job!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.