Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,490 members, 7,808,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians (28152 Views)

A Thread Dedicated To Orisa Nla (obatala). / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by GboyegaD(m): 7:03pm On Aug 14, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Going fine my brother. My second semester(fall) is about to resume.

It is gonna be alright. It is only a matter of time. Do you still visit the US student visa thread?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 7:08pm On Aug 14, 2014
GboyegaD:

It is gonna be alright. It is only a matter of time. Do you still visit the US student visa thread?

Yea I do, as much as time permits me.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 6:40am On Aug 16, 2014
this thread should probably have a chat version.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 12:47am On Aug 21, 2014
shoefreak: Hmmm... can be worrisome. had an igbo boyfriend once. NYSC, kogi state, mopa precisely. Everyone knew us... and mocked us actually. He never left Igbo land all his life. So couldn't understand yoruba for the life of him. And we were together for like 2 years after. Anytime his mum visited same time as me, chai, See drama. to the point that one day she told me that she'd make my life miserable if I don't leave her son. But his dad was an angel, he'd lived in Ondo state for a long time while growing up. He'd always be on my side. Was thinking of marrying this dude, then his dad died. Omo, all hell broke loose. Even the smiling smiling sisters, became hostile. I broke it off.

Dude still calls me to say how unhappy he is. Poor him... undecided cry

Anyhoo, mum: osun and Dad: ogun (he is part egun though)

Hmmn... the dude lacked strength of character. I believe the correct word for such people is a "wimp." sad

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 12:49am On Aug 21, 2014
repogirl: My moms ijaw, my dads Yoruba, my husband is Ibo grin

flowjoe: My dad is from crossriver ..my mum is from taraba . & my maternal grandma is igbo. So I can speak hausa & igbo but not my language grin

Complete Nigerians!! cool Come here and collect a royal handshake! grin

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 12:56am On Aug 21, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Or they may produce children who have an appreciation for both cultures .....or who may just simply take on their father's culture.

Also good from a genetic point of view.

True talk! I have often discovered that people with a mixed heritage tend to be broad-minded, and can see things from a far more interesting & different perspective, when relating with folks from other tribes. smiley

They are often more patient, willing to give others the benefit of doubt and better at getting along with people in general, irrespective of their ethnic or cultural affiliations. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 1:04am On Aug 21, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Hausas never mixed with Yorubas. We are both of separate and different stock. Your example of onions is useless. The reason for that loanword is because onions probably never existed in Yorubaland ,prior to introduction by Hausa farmers and Traders from the North. Hausas never breeded with Yorubas to produce onions . tongue

With reference to the part in bold type, I don't think this is true.

Pre-colonial Nigeria, had a lot of Ogbomosho people from the south-western part of Nigeria who were itinerant traders. They migrated up north and settled there. Some of them intermarried with the Hausa communities in those areas. More details can be found in this book: Approaching the Study of Yoruba Diaspora in Northern Nigeria in the 20th Century by Rasheed Olaniyi, IFRA SPECIAL RESEARCH ISSUE VOL. 2. In that book he states that...

Rasheed Olaniyi: Conceptualising Yoruba diaspora: Ajo ko da bii/ile.

Diaspora is not like home

Yoruba diaspora in northern Nigeria is better understood within the historical context of the respective host communities and indeed the entire history of northern Nigeria as a whole. It is equally important to examine the interaction of resources and opportunities in order to understand the dynamics of Yoruba commerce in northern Nigeria.

Isa Hashim has offered three explanations why the Yoruba were accepted in the north.

First, according to Islamic tradition, the Yoruba were regarded as brothers and sisters of the Hausa people because the majority of Yoruba migrants were Muslims. This suggests why some Yoruba have been assimilated into Hausa culture or enjoy accommodation. Second, economically, they were hardworking in ternis of their technical skills, productivity and quality of work delivery. Third, the Yoruba shared myth of origin with the Kanuri. Oral tradition in Borno has it that the “Yoruba and Kanuri were cousins."
http://books.openedition.org/ifra/919?lang=en

You can also read this book Strangers and Traders: Yoruba Migrants, Markets, and the State in Northern Ghana by Jeremy Seymour Eades, Africa World Press, 1994 - Business & Economics - 234 pages. In an entire chapter titled The Legacy of the Nineteenth Century , he dwells extensively on the migration patterns of the Ogbomosho traders in Northern Nigeria, and makes comparisons with their entry into Northern Ghana, during the same period.

Also, if you go to the middle belt especially in areas like Ilorin, Kwara, Kogi etc., & some parts of the far North, you would find out there has been a long history of inter-marriage between the Hausa, Kanuri, Fulanis (who are sometimes erroneously referred to as 'Hausa') and the Yoruba tribe, due to the long historical links between them.

Post-colonial Nigeria, also saw a number of northerners, including the Hausa (I hesitate to use the word 'Hausa', to describe a collective group of people, as there are several minority tribes in the North that speak fluent Hausa, but are not core Hausa themselves) conducting inter-tribal marriages with Southerners, including Yoruba people.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 1:19am On Aug 21, 2014
suyu:

Actually they have, I know a girl whose mother is yoruba and father hausa and there are others

small numbers but they exist

Very true. I know several folks with such backgrounds. Some even have a combination of Igbo and Hausa parentage. A number of them are part of my extended family. Thank God, I have relatives all over Nigeria. You can't imagine how much I have saved over the years in hotel bills! grin

fairheven:

There are a whole lot of IBO/HAUSA couples,especially the Ibo women that were forced into marriage by HAUSA solgdiers during the civil war.

(sigh..!) sad Not all women were 'forced' into marriage, in all those cases. Migration patterns also account for a lot of inter-tribal marriages. The war ended over 40 years ago, and many of such inter-ethnic marriages have been conducted since then. Were the women abducted in those cases, too? shocked

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:05am On Aug 21, 2014
laudate:

With reference to the part in bold type, I don't think this is true.

Pre-colonial Nigeria, had a lot of Ogbomosho people from the south-western part of Nigeria who were itinerant traders. They migrated up north and settled there. Some of them intermarried with the Hausa communities in those areas. More details can be found in this book: Approaching the Study of Yoruba Diaspora in Northern Nigeria in the 20th Century by Rasheed Olaniyi, IFRA SPECIAL RESEARCH ISSUE VOL. 2. In that book he states that...

You can also read this book Strangers and Traders: Yoruba Migrants, Markets, and the State in Northern Ghana by Jeremy Seymour Eades, Africa World Press, 1994 - Business & Economics - 234 pages. In an entire chapter titled The Legacy of the Nineteenth Century , he dwells extensively on the migration patterns of the Ogbomosho traders in Northern Nigeria, and makes comparisons with their entry into Northern Ghana, during the same period.

These traders are a very minute addition and I have never even heard of them. They are probably diluted if they ever mixed.

Also, if you go to the middle belt especially in areas like Ilorin, Kwara, Kogi etc., & some parts of the far North, you would find out there has been a long history of inter-marriage between the Hausa, Kanuri, Fulanis (who are sometimes erroneously referred to as 'Hausa') and the Yoruba tribe, due to the long historical links between them.

To be honest, the people of these areas, Illorin especially, consider themselves muslims over and above tribal identity. I doubt these mixed people even have proper tribal identification, though many identify as Yoruba.

Again , I am talking about Hausa proper. Hausa like us Maguzawa and other sub-tribes consider ourselves Pure. We never marry outside.

Post-colonial Nigeria, also saw a number of northerners, including the Hausa (I hesitate to use the word 'Hausa', to describe a collective group of people, as there are several minority tribes in the North that speak fluent Hausa, but are not core Hausa themselves) conducting inter-tribal marriages with Southerners, including Yoruba people.

No one cares for post-colonial Nigeria. these are the days when humans marry dogs too. Anything goes these days.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by fairheven: 7:10pm On Aug 21, 2014
laudate:

Very true. I know several folks with such backgrounds. Some even have a combination of Igbo and Hausa parentage. A number of them are part of my extended family. Thank God, I have relatives all over Nigeria. You can't imagine how much I have saved over the years in hotel bills! grin

(sigh..!) sad Not all women were 'forced' into marriage, in all those cases. Migration patterns also account for a lot of inter-tribal marriages. The war ended over 40 years ago, and many of such inter-ethnic marriages have been conducted since then. Were the women abducted in those cases, too? shocked

Do u read before u comment,did I say all women?am talking of something that a popular newspaper just did a documentary on,an u are only interested in refuting it.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by khiaa(f): 8:43pm On Aug 21, 2014
princesa: I'm not mixed, my mum is. She's part yoruba and Igbo. So i got a yoruba grandmother, aunty and an uncle

sometimes, when we do wrong, my dad would often say its the yoruba blood in us acting. Crazy grin

I Wish I was mixed thoughsad

lol, If your mom is mixed then you are mixed because your mothers blood runs through your veins.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by princesa(f): 8:22am On Aug 22, 2014
khiaa:

lol, If your mom is mixed then you are mixed because your mothers blood runs through your veins.
oh? Then I guess its the second degree kind of mix grin
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Tobbie9(m): 12:59pm On Aug 22, 2014
Pure ijebu boy, the first person in my entire family(both nuclear and extended) that'll marry outside d tribe will be my brother in some months time
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 10:27pm On Aug 26, 2014
fairheven:

Do u read before u comment,did I say all women?am talking of something that a popular newspaper just did a documentary on,an u are only interested in refuting it.

Huh? undecided Keep your hair on. Stop hyperventilating. Are you upset by the word 'all'? Eeyah ....sorry oh! You presented the scenario in your previous post as if the war was the sole reason why Igbo women married Hausa men.

Unfortunately, you did not post the link to your "popular newspaper just did a documentary on" the subject. Maybe, if you had done that, it would have been easier to see where you were coming from.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by laudate: 10:40pm On Aug 26, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

These traders are a very minute addition and I have never even heard of them. They are probably diluted if they ever mixed.

What makes you feel they are 'minute'? Unfortunately, there was no census conducted during that period to validate your opinion that it was "minute." What you think or feel however, does not negate the fact that they existed, and if you pay a trip to the Ogbomosho area of Yoruba land, you would find several families with a history of relatives who were merchants that ended up getting married to residents or indigenes of those Northern areas, where they established trading links.

PAGAN9JA:

To be honest, the people of these areas, Illorin especially, consider themselves muslims over and above tribal identity. I doubt these mixed people even have proper tribal identification, though many identify as Yoruba.

Again , I am talking about Hausa proper. Hausa like us Maguzawa and other sub-tribes consider ourselves Pure. We never marry outside.

Er... please read the history of the Ilorin people, especially the part that deals with the old Emir of Ilorin called Alimi and his opponent, Afonja.
It would go a long way in clarifying the issue.

This reference to 'pure stock' is reminiscent of Hitler's rhetoric prior to his hateful propagation of the holocaust that decimated the Jews.

Anyway, among the "Hausa like.....Maguzawa", there have been reports of cousins getting married to each other, and step-brothers getting married to their step-sisters. It is not clear, if this is done to preserve the "purity" of the Maguzawa.

PAGAN9JA:

No one cares for post-colonial Nigeria. these are the days when humans marry dogs too. Anything goes these days.

If you do not care for post-colonial Nigeria, there are quite a number of us that do care. If humans marry dogs, maybe it occurs within your own circle, which is why you chose to refer to it. Such things are a taboo in any sane society.

Please free your mind. If inter-ethnic marriages would contribute to the peace, stability and progress of Nigeria, then hey, ....am all for it! grin cool

Peace.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by justi4jesu(f): 8:26am On Aug 27, 2014
Alexkene: Father is Igbo, Mother is Yoruba,

My dads mother is Yoruba

My moms mother is Igbo

My wife is Yoruba.

Thought you said you aren't married angry angry angry
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 9:16am On Aug 27, 2014
justi4jesu:

Thought you said you aren't married angry angry angry

Lol...I am not married.

It was just a joke to spite the Igbo and yoruba's

Please respond to my post about the visa..
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by anumide(f): 4:12pm On Aug 29, 2014
kissmy. Mum is ondo, dad is Ijebu but my siblings and I are Gwari. Do we qualify as mixed? cheesy
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2014
shoefreak: Hmmm... can be worrisome. had an igbo boyfriend once. NYSC, kogi state, mopa precisely. Everyone knew us... and mocked us actually. He never left Igbo land all his life. So couldn't understand yoruba for the life of him. And we were together for like 2 years after. Anytime his mum visited same time as me, chai, See drama. to the point that one day she told me that she'd make my life miserable if I don't leave her son. But his dad was an angel, he'd lived in Ondo state for a long time while growing up. He'd always be on my side. Was thinking of marrying this dude, then his dad died. Omo, all hell broke loose. Even the smiling smiling sisters, became hostile. I broke it off.

hmm, so sad, lord have mercy. People sha.

anyway, hope you were able to move on.

i guess his folks had strong reasons for their actions, who knows. Might be a taboo or something for him to date outside.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
Well, I don't think she just wanted an 'ofe nmanu' as a DIL.

Sad though. He was/is super cute! grin
tpia1:

hmm, so sad, lord have mercy. People sha.

anyway, hope you were able to move on.

i guess his folks had strong reasons for their actions, who knows. Might be a taboo or something for him to date outside.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 7:27pm On Aug 30, 2014
shoefreak: Well, I don't think she just wanted an 'ofe nmanu' as a DIL.

Sad though. He was/is super cute! grin

oh well, stuff happens i guess.
there are other cute guys.

lol @ bolded.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 31, 2014
wink already have the cutest ever! grin
tpia1:

oh well, stuff happens i guess.
there are other cute guys.

lol @ bolded.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 7:29pm On Sep 01, 2014
shoefreak: wink already have the cutest ever! grin

wink

The other wasn't meant to be I guess.

If it was, it would have been.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by tpia1: 7:35pm On Sep 13, 2014
what are the experiences or challenges faced by mixed heritage nigerians?

would you rate your level of integration into your dominant tribe, as good, satisfactory or best?

do you think its possible to be equally integrated into both (or all your) tribes, or not?

looking at pagan9ja's critiques of intertribal unions, what are your comments and opinions?
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by kika23(f): 11:36am On Sep 24, 2014
slenderdude: Mother Urhobo and father Yoruba, I am proudly a Yorubo man grin
Blahhhh
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by onila(f): 4:18am On Oct 27, 2014
love this thread
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by onila(f): 4:56am On Oct 27, 2014
Idowuogbo:
Omo YORUIGBO ni mi swaaaaaaaaaagger! cool
Everything abt u says yoruba

surprised yr half igbo
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by onila(f): 5:02am On Oct 27, 2014
Khalessi:
Am half igbo half ikwerre and some fulani is in the mix. undecided

who is the Ikwerre one
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by onila(f): 5:10am On Oct 27, 2014
SirShymex:
I have two baby mums: one is Bini and the other is Igbo.

Does that count? grin cool
u have baby mamas
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by itstpia1: 5:16am On Oct 27, 2014
he said he doesnt believe in such and always runs away when it happens- perhaps one or both of his statements arent true.
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by onila(f): 5:24am On Oct 27, 2014
he acts like someone who is going to have baby mamaz in the future

typical of-emanu men lipsrsealed grin
Re: A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians by itstpia1: 5:27am On Oct 27, 2014
if you want him to marry before having the babies just let him know.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Hollywood High School Hosts Ooni Of Ife In USA(photos) / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Igbo Slang

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.