Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,018 members, 7,806,976 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

NYSC: Is It Really Cardinal? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: Is It Really Cardinal? (1463 Views)

NYSC Is Wasting Our Time With Their Inconsistency / Opinion: What NYSC Is Like In Akwa Ibom / NYSC Is A Waste Of Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NYSC: Is It Really Cardinal? by TheRealAdonye(m): 3:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
This article can be found at My Blog and was written roughly 7 months into my NYSC experience. Its long but I believe its worth it. Actually, it isn't even long.

Oh, and catch the puns if you can.

[img]http://therealadonye.files./2013/07/nysc-cartoon.jpg[/img]
2:13pm

Me: “Oga, abeg give me 200 Naira own”

MeatSeller: *cuts meat into 4 pieces”

Me: “Oga, no be 5? Add put another one”

MeatSeller: *adds one more piece”

I’m never letting anyone cheat me in these zones.. I’ll show them I’m a PH ..

Oh sorry, I’m just rambling on.. I forgot my manners in the desert for the Israelites to eat..

I’m Adonye.. I’m not really a writer. ThatsAll

Our story started at a Meat Seller’s stand at The Oja Market in Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria.. Let’s continue, shall we?

I move through the market purchasing items for my next culinary adventure — Afang Soup.. See ehn, Mum had given me her recipe, Sis had contributed and my friend Bassey had showed me how he cooks his.. I’m gon kill this..

2:45pm

I enter the house famished and tired. But before, I put the kerosene in my stove and start cooking, I have to prepare the ingredients. I don’t know if you’ve cooked Afang before but the preparations are stressful. So to get energy, I prepare Garri, groundnuts and some sugar and I start soaking.

My flatmates are around. Names? Tunde & Niyi. University attended? Onabisi Onabanjo University (formerly, Ogun State University).

Niyi considers himself a Street boy. He was/ is a singer, bartender, DJ etc. Anything to hustle and bring some money.

Tunde is very religious, was an Usher in school, doesn’t believe in Sex before Marriage.

I hail Niyi and he responds with the usual chants of ‘Awon Eleyi’, ‘Efile Fun’, ‘Baba Agba’, etc. I wonder how he gets his energy. I mean, we just worked our asses off teaching secondary school students from 8 to 2. I greet Tunde and the courtesies are a little more reserved.

How did I get here? Going to the Market, Cooking, Drinking Garri on the reg.. The answer to that question is NYSC.

I’ve come to realize that life isn’t Automatic. It has to switch Gears once in a while. Love it or hate it, NYSC is one of those gears. As a prospective corper, you would have heard thousands of stories about this scheme. I’m here to tell you that like a game of cards, its going to be worth it.

The orientation camp is an awesome experience. You get to meet new friends, and potentially your future partner. I would advise that you look forward to it and shut out any form of negativity. It only happens once.. ONCE. Even if you’re told to repeat your service year, you won’t go to camp again. You really do not want to mess up something you only do once in your life.

After camp, you’ll be posted to a place of primary assignment (PPA). Again, approach this with an open mind. If you’re posted to a school, see it as an opportunity to contribute your quota to the next generation.

NYSC helps to take you out of your comfort zone. An essential ingredient to shape Nigeria’s next leaders. Life isn’t a mattress with people named Rose sleeping on it. At some point, you’ll have to leave that comfortable bed, 20+ hours light, Zippy Internet connection, etc. Let NYSC prepare you.

I’ve learnt a lot over the past 8 months. I’ve met people who had it way harder I did and still survived. I’ve been able to discover that I’m more resilient than I give myself credit for and for someone who hated the kitchen, I’ve had to figure this cooking ish out myself.

We all say we want to change this country. But even though the Telecommunication companies want us to believe otherwise, Talk is cheap. What better way to effect change than to start from the places where 3G is poor/ non existent? To these places just take a stroll, See how they roll, check out their parole and find out your role.

Of course, there are people that have applied Mary Kay to their mind about taking a 3 week exeat from camp and have worked their posting to choice states. Maybe this would bring out the smaller denominations of money in your mind. If not, I still hope you have an enjoyable service year. Welcome to The Youth Service Corps of Nigeria.

3.56pm

*washes meat*

(1) (Reply)

Best NYSC Pics So Far / Ibadan North Local Government Corpers Dancing. / SHAME !! See The Deplorable Condition Of Corpers' Lodge In A Cross River School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.