Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,776 members, 7,798,592 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

First Time Cooking Experience - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / First Time Cooking Experience (7726 Views)

White Girl Sees Nigerian Fried Plantain For The First Time And Reacts / PHOTOS: A Young South-african Lady Display Her Nigerian Cooking Experience. / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
The first time I cooked, I was about 8 or 9 years old then, my mum told me to fry plantain and screamed in my ears that she wants golden brown dodo not burnt offering. So I put the plantain inside oil and removed it within 10 seconds. My mum nearly killed me for giving her raw plantain, second time I was told to fry dodo again, well, it became burnt offering. Also remembered the first time I cooked ewedu, I covered the pot..... grin ; grin grin . Now I am a pro grin.

Share your own experience.

4 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 3:22am On Aug 13, 2014
First time I cooked
I think it was stew
I managed to burn the pot brown
Funny thing is, it turned out to be good smiley

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by hulkmandaza: 3:23am On Aug 13, 2014
hmmm..
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by bunmioguns(m): 3:28am On Aug 13, 2014
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Saraha1(f): 3:35am On Aug 13, 2014
Oh boy this topic go make sense die. But wait oh, why the mod carry come front page just like that?
Hmmm, this is God oh.

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by sirjohnson(m): 3:42am On Aug 13, 2014
bad
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 3:48am On Aug 13, 2014
Mine was hell, not cooking though bt it was my first kitchen xperience. donno what she(grandma) put inside the pot and asked me to make sure itz properly DONE by always blowing the fire,(firewood) nd replaced dem wen burnt up. She went out, I was left ahome suffering my self till she came back laffing, i was like WTFz wrong? Mind u she ordered me not to open the pot till she comes back. Alas she opened it and there was noting in the pot, twas filled up with water. Just to keep me at home. Cnt 4get dat day.

33 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by ProfessorD(m): 3:52am On Aug 13, 2014
grin i boiled half pot of water added every ingredient the same time closed pot and then brought it down after a few mins

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 3:57am On Aug 13, 2014
lmao
at least her plan worked
urhoboman: Mine was hell, not cooking though bt it was my first kitchen xperience. donno what she(grandma) put inside the pot and asked me to make sure itz properly DONE by always blowing the fire,(firewood) nd replaced dem wen burnt up. She went out, I was left ahome suffering my self till she came back laffing, i was like WTFz wrong? Mind u she ordered me not to open the pot till she comes back. Alas she opened it and there was noting in the pot, twas filled up with water. Just to keep me at home. Cnt 4get dat day.

2 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Beesluv: 3:58am On Aug 13, 2014
I think mine was boiling of yam
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 4:07am On Aug 13, 2014
Ladystewie: lmao
at least her plan worked
quite well.... Missy, ur name has the word "STEW" in it# shudda boil rice? Wonna taste ur stew. cheesy

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by tonididdy(m): 4:08am On Aug 13, 2014
I think I started with water BUT don't try my kitchen finger licking skills #mywifeGOenjoy
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 4:09am On Aug 13, 2014
lol
it's stewie
a cartoon character oo, not food grin
urhoboman: quite well.... Missy, ur name has the word "STEW" in it# shudda boil rice? Wonna taste ur stew. Mind u, this thread is for kitchen cheesy

2 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by wizzymate(m): 4:10am On Aug 13, 2014
Was asked to cook rice, i and my sister kept stirring the rice till it almost turned to eba. We were both forced to eat it that night.

8 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 4:12am On Aug 13, 2014
Ladystewie: lol
it's stewie
a cartoon character oo, not food grin
damn# am already parboiling the rice o. Go get the stew abeg.

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 4:12am On Aug 13, 2014
oya I'm coming
wat kind of stew sef
fish or beef
grin
urhoboman: damn# am already parboiling the rice o. Go get the stew abeg.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by nikkypearl(f): 4:13am On Aug 13, 2014
The first time I cooked was seven years ago during my youth service grin *covers face*
Don't ask me why! shocked

I got tired of eating junk food and I decided to cook on my own,I boiled rice and grated 30# tomato and added 4cubes of maggie(knorr) grin
Mehn wen I tasted d sauce....u knw d rest!
Thanks to my calabar friend who spent 6months of our youth service teaching how to cook!
And now! I b confirmed CHEF tongue

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Sarimah(f): 4:13am On Aug 13, 2014
First tym I cooked I was 13 ..I was asked to prepare jollof rice for my sick cousin....jst one cup of rice I put 2 jugs of water embarassed

D rice turned out to be pap(akamu) grin

2 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by tobyemmanuel(m): 4:17am On Aug 13, 2014
Cooked rice but was no soft before I drained. Na wen everybody started eatin. Dem turn am to chinchin

4 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Sarimah(f): 4:17am On Aug 13, 2014
ProfessorD: grin i boiled half pot of water added every ingredient the same time closed pot and then brought it down after a few mins

confirmed cook!

U deserve an award grin
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 4:17am On Aug 13, 2014
Ladystewie: oya I'm coming
wat kind of stew sef
fish or beef
grin
fish stew will do, also add kpomo. U won't stop beefing me if I ask for beef stew.

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 4:21am On Aug 13, 2014
ok cheesy
urhoboman: fish stew will do, also add kpomo. U won't stop beefing me if I ask for beef stew.
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by DaVinChiSam(m): 5:01am On Aug 13, 2014
Oh I will never forget that day... Our neigbour had to call in fire service because I nearly burnt the whole compound where I was trying to boil water...

I ended up roasting the water

3 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by macsika: 5:50am On Aug 13, 2014
Mine was yesterday. I called my sister at home to direct me on how to cook soup. After getting the necessary ingredient, I did the mixing properly as I was directed.

30 minutes later I invented a TASTELESS BLACK SOUP.

3 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by DankemzI(m): 5:57am On Aug 13, 2014
I think was relatively young. That kind 9_12yrs omo i cooked soup as launch 4 myself n kid sister being the broe, omo to eat soup u'll mould eba use spoon de stir de soup once any vegetable comes up kai u grab am cool so you no just swallow coloured water only!

3 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by tonyx4x44(m): 6:12am On Aug 13, 2014
urhoboman: Mine was hell, not cooking though bt it was my first kitchen xperience. donno what she(grandma) put inside the pot and asked me to make sure itz properly DONE by always blowing the fire,(firewood) nd replaced dem wen burnt up. She went out, I was left ahome suffering my self till she came back laffing, i was like WTFz wrong? Mind u she ordered me not to open the pot till she comes back. Alas she opened it and there was noting in the pot, twas filled up with water. Just to keep me at home. Cnt 4get dat day.

chai see jonzing!

moral of the story: poke nosing and peeping is good

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by generaliy07(m): 6:25am On Aug 13, 2014
Funny

Mine was around 6-7years old, I started with "amala lafun"(cassava flour paste), I didn't allow it spend the normal time on fire, ended up tasting like poo but trust mum, she refined the mess and turned it to the real thing!, mothers are skillful o!

Being the only boy and last born, I am not expected to attend to kitchen matters but in my family, that tradition no follow o

By the time I was 9, I was a professional already, could make almost all the major Yoruba delicacies,even better than my sisters.

It helped me during university and service years, my food was the toast of my hostel, even ladies jostle to have a taste once am in the kitchen

I hope to retire soon, once the aunty comes in, she'd better know how to do it better or at least meet up with my standard!

Anyway for me its fun, I'll still cook once in a while when married, so madam can relax and watch too.

4 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 13, 2014
U deserve a standing ovation and a thunderous roll of applause
Sarimah: First tym I cooked I was 13 ..I was asked to prepare jollof rice for my sick cousin....jst one cup of rice I put 2 jugs of water embarassed

D rice turned out to be pap(akamu) grin
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by killercute16(m): 6:44am On Aug 13, 2014
Re: First Time Cooking Experience by Valfrankie(m): 6:58am On Aug 13, 2014
MUM travelled, on the day she would arrive, I wanted to impress her with food. I Told Grandma to enter the farm and help me cut some pumpkin (didn't knw how to do it), while I went to market to buy things for soup. I cooked an amazing Okra soup with steaming garri for my mama (THE FAMILY ATE IT). She was GOBSMACKED to hear I actually bought the soup condiments and also cooked it. It was DELICIOUS!!! I WAS 12 THEN!!! MY BROTHERS PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!! gringringrin

1 Like

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by alorax2(f): 7:17am On Aug 13, 2014
Mine was when i was 9years old, i was asked to cook rice and beans, with My Mum watching me with one eye, i trebled while cooking d food, grin. In d end when it was done My family ate it and pronounced it good,, even dad danced with me telling everyone say no b only book i sabi but trust Mum, she told me that next time i will cook soup, Omo fear catch me, My regret was she passed on when i was 11 and i never cooked soup for her but My olders ones did, missing u Mum

13 Likes

Re: First Time Cooking Experience by naijaboiy: 7:27am On Aug 13, 2014
hmmm that day...

I and my younger bro were alone at home and we didn't feel like eating what was put down for us to eat...

And so we decided to cook rice cry

We put two grains of rice and a lot of water waiting for the rice to multiply as we thought that was how rice was cooked sad sad

SMH...

Thank God My aunt who was staying with us back then was able to return quickly and saw the mess we had made smiley

I never tried to cook again since that day grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Does Anyone Love Lafun With Blanched Efo Ewuro (spoilt With Munimuni)here? / Lol:food-hungry Lagosians Hack On Dead, Smelly Whale - Food Is Ready / Life Virgin Coconut Oil for sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.